Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭DBK1

Grueller wrote: »
    He is happy out. Fair play to him he would have excellent stock
    The 2kgs of meal they got all winter, while it doesn’t sound a lot, would have really stood to them.

I know Bass might not agree, but in my opinion, and it’s based on weighing stock over a number of years with different feeding methods, the 2kgs they get as weanlings during their first winter is the most important meal feeding they can get. As a store animal it’s possible to get away without meal but as a weanling it’s non negotiable to me, it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

DBK1 I would agree with you, gave my weanlings about 1.5 kgs of Grennan's super weanling meal per day for the winter, I was seriously impress when I took them out of the pen to go to grass a few weeks ago and they have carried on the thrive on the grass for the last few weeks to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

There was a BBx heifer in ennis on Tuesday 410 kg 1790 euro think she was 9 mts old

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

DBK1 wrote: »
    The 2kgs of meal they got all winter, while it doesn’t sound a lot, would have really stood to them.

I know Bass might not agree, but in my opinion, and it’s based on weighing stock over a number of years with different feeding methods, the 2kgs they get as weanlings during their first winter is the most important meal feeding they can get. As a store animal it’s possible to get away without meal but as a weanling it’s non negotiable to me, it has to be done.

200% agree with that. Silage saved by pretty much all suckler farmers, is well below what is needed to keep weanlings growing frame, and ready to power on when they go to grass.
    I’ve four lim heifers out to grass with three weeks now. April 2019. Got a couple of kgs beef grower nuts plus a handful of soya their first year in the shed. Silage alone this winter. They are 575kgs avg going out this year. I believe if they were on silage alone first winter, I wouldn’t have half the animal for grass now.
    They should perform well now on grass alone up to end July. I’ll let them off then for a finishing man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Am i right in saying that there was only 2 bulls sold in bandon today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I agree fully also. Stopped meal on store cattle last few years but still weanlings. I only give them less than 3lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

K.G. wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that there was only 2 bulls sold in bandon today

6 sold 12 went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Dunedin wrote: »
    I agree fully also. Stopped meal on store cattle last few years but still weanlings. I only give them less than 3lb.

I'm after letting off 12 mth old bucket cslvesvthere to grass there yday they were getting a light shake of barley and crunch mixed over the winter weighed them when weighing for beep scheme they are at 300 kg an odd one is 320 kg should I keep feeding nuts for a good bit longer I'd hope to be selling at 24 mts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭50HX

Would agree to a point, top quality silage plus minerals would drive em on over the winter, my silage wasn't top class so I supplemented it with soya bean....to me soya bean is super stuff to put a frame on an animal, grass does the rest then

lab man wrote: »
    I'm after letting off 12 mth old bucket cslvesvthere to grass there yday they were getting a light shake of barley and crunch mixed over the winter weighed them when weighing for beep scheme they are at 300 kg an odd one is 320 kg should I keep feeding nuts for a good bit longer I'd hope to be selling at 24 mts

If they have good grass, just let them off. No need for anything

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    Would agree to a point, top quality silage plus minerals would drive em on over the winter, my silage wasn't top class so I supplemented it with soya bean....to me soya bean is super stuff to put a frame on an animal, grass does the rest then

How is the soya bean fed. Never used or saw it.

How is the soya bean fed. Never used or saw it.

Looks like maize meal, can be fed straight, I use a cheap nut as a carrier, to get emails going on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

A bullock in carnew on Saturday 569kg, genuine 14 months old. Big milky Charolais cow and on a good share of meal since weaning (genuine age as belongs to friend of mine). €1660.

Unfortunately while this years calf is as good cow got ecoli mastitis and on firing on two cylinders. You win and lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

Stores here get good silage and a kg of a barley soya and mineral mix for approx 100 days after housing. More a case of getting soya and minerals into them. Fully agree re soya bean...best thing you can give growing cattle

Looks like maize meal, can be fed straight, I use a cheap nut as a carrier, to get emails going on it

How much a ton and how much per head a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Lad from Rathdowney selling dry cows in Ennis today. It’s a long haul. They will have to go back in the same direction to get slaughtered possibly.

good road all the way,

I done a drop to newport and ennis to day through bye roads, tbh i rather hit kildare on the motorway

How much a ton and how much per head a day

Went crazy this year north of 400/tn

I feed at approx300g/hd/d,

Need to start of at a low level and build up as too much scours them, max 500g/hd/day I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Soya bean meal (SBM) is 45% protein. We can grow alternatives here, but don't in any amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Anyone have an idea what freisan bullocks approx 350kgs making?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

mickey1985 wrote: »

In Carrigallen last Monday they were making €450-€500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

mickey1985 wrote: »

Bandon today close to €600 I would think. Bullocks are a particularly strong trade in this part of the world with the summer grazer
    380 kg €645
    367 kg €560
    320kg €575
    340kg €575

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Bandon today close to €600 I would think. Bullocks are a particularly strong trade in this part of the world with the summer grazer
    380 kg €645
    367 kg €560
    320kg €575
    340kg €575
    All narrowish?

Jjameson wrote: »
    All narrowish?

Didn't see them selling. Just looked back at the price list. If they're anything over 12 months at 320kg theyre hungry cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was right bundle of old fashion fr cattle in macroom Saturday. 430kg €830 . 2 Yr olds waving with the hunger.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    There was right bundle of old fashion fr cattle in macroom Saturday. 430kg €830 . 2 Yr olds waving with the hunger.

They've seen more dinner times than dinners. They'd be grand cattle to buy I suppose too. Fatten in no time with small frames. Last year when we were selling home reared Ho/fr bullocks it was extremely frustrating to see cattle a year older than ours 20/30 kg heavier making €150/head more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

jd_12345 wrote: »
    They've seen more dinner times than dinners. They'd be grand cattle to buy I suppose too. Fatten in no time with small frames. Last year when we were selling home reared Ho/fr bullocks it was extremely frustrating to see cattle a year older than ours 20/30 kg heavier making €150/head more

Would you be happy to look at your own cattle for an extra 12 months for another €150? Age versus weight is always a trade off imo, you can push them hard (with associated cost) for a short period or let them trundle along (with lower cost's) over a longer period. There's no money to be made in starving store cattle for an extra year but lorrying meal into young stock isn't a recipe for success either in most cases.

When buying grass cattle I'd always be on the look out for some "proper" hungry growthy type stock that will thrive. I've no interest in buying stock that are pumped full of meal and that will fail for the first 6 weeks post turnout as they readjust to a grass only diet. Granted I must be in the minority as judging by the steam coming off most stock I see going through the ring they're being fed winter and summer to meet popular demand. I watch stock being bought daily that are a ringing endorsement for the magic that concentrate feeding can achieve. I was always of the opinion that there wasn't much point in paying whatever price per kilo (be it €1.50, €2.50 ect) to then watch them throw off 30-50kg of it in the weeks following purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Would you be happy to look at your own cattle for an extra 12 months for another €150? Age versus weight is always a trade off imo, you can push them hard (with associated cost) for a short period or let them trundle along (with lower cost's) over a longer period. There's no money to be made in starving store cattle for an extra year but lorrying meal into young stock isn't a recipe for success either in most cases.

When buying grass cattle I'd always be on the look out for some "proper" hungry growthy type stock that will thrive. I've no interest in buying stock that are pumped full of meal and that will fail for the first 6 weeks post turnout as they readjust to a grass only diet. Granted I must be in the minority as judging by the steam coming off most stock I see going through the ring they're being fed winter and summer to meet popular demand. I watch stock being bought daily that are a ringing endorsement for the magic that concentrate feeding can achieve. I was always of the opinion that there wasn't much point in paying whatever price per kilo (be it €1.50, €2.50 ect) to then watch them throw off 30-50kg of it in the weeks following purchase.

Couldn’t agree more on the hungry cattle for grass. I’ve had hungry bulls put on 260kg on grass alone from April to October. I’ve had bulls that were bought well fed barely reach 100kg in the same period. Lesson learned. Though it’s impossible to judge them right off a screen.
    And as you said there appears to be no shortage of lads wanting to buy the lads with the steam coming off them. Maybe they do alright on good land.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DukeCaboom wrote: »

A lot of them would burst your chops. They look lovely and square and handy sized cattle. Problem with some of them is they only trundle along like a lot of the AA's. Hard to beat a growthy sq HO bullock like Clough put up a picture of

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more on the hungry cattle for grass. I’ve had hungry bulls put on 260kg on grass alone from April to October. I’ve had bulls that were bought well fed barely reach 100kg in the same period. Lesson learned. Though it’s impossible to judge them right off a screen.
    And as you said there appears to be no shortage of lads wanting to buy the lads with the steam coming off them. Maybe they do alright on good land.

They'd do OK if you were prepared to keep meal to them all summer and pay through the nose for every kilo gained. It's not something I'd consider but it seems to appeal to a lot of lad's. They'll then show them a year later weighing 700kg plus and be told of the great cattle they had. You'd then be told that they only "got a dusting of meal" to keep them quiet. There's less and less store cattle to be gotten every year, young stock of all age's are now fat cattle regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They'd do OK if you were prepared to keep meal to them all summer and pay through the nose for every kilo gained. It's not something I'd consider but it seems to appeal to a lot of lad's. They'll then show them a year later weighing 700kg plus and be told of the great cattle they had. You'd then be told that they only "got a dusting of meal" to keep them quiet. There's less and less store cattle to be gotten every year, young stock of all age's are now fat cattle regardless.

If you want store cattle buy them from August on. You will find there is s good few around especially Friesians hard to beat a hungry friesian

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement