Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The big disadvantage to watching online is you do not have the name of the seller up ,the suckler cow was belong to a jobber who had his mates to open high the jobbers always open there own cattle high and then with quick bidding there sold quick to any fool who does not have his quick wits .I am a way more confident buying online once I know the animal history so need to be at the mart at the same time .If you would be buying 50 cattle year the cost of the extra price watch back works out at euro /animal ,most fellows would surely spare that if using the service

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Iv noticed with the livestock live page I can no longer see previous prices or video highlights without subscribing for premium. Worked perfect until last few days. Was handy to see how sales went.

Ya noticed the same. All about the money! Real shame. Not worth the bother paying a monthly sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Agree b@llox to that
    Interestingly was watching a suckler cow sale on Friday and was suprised to see a cow get multiple bids before she entered the ring never saw that at a live audience sale.
    Find it funny that its never a problem for auctioneers getting a starting bid on an animal now.
    Like on line auctions but if people start to loose faith in the process it will fail.

I was in a mart during the week with a neughbour who was looking to buy a few cattle. The sale started while we were there. There was ten dealers outside the ring just out of view of the camera bidding away on their phones. What you see on the phone isn’t live it’s a little bit behind what is happening in the ring so that’s why it looks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Agree b@llox to that
    Interestingly was watching a suckler cow sale on Friday and was suprised to see a cow get multiple bids before she entered the ring never saw that at a live audience sale.
    Find it funny that its never a problem for auctioneers getting a starting bid on an animal now.
    Like on line auctions but if people start to loose faith in the process it will fail.

Know of one that didn't get a bid, personally.
    I know my friend had a springer in.
    Not very fancy but alright.
    Up on 60 seconds went by and no bid.
    I opened it up on a bid then.
    Up on 60 seconds later again i was still the only bidder.
    Hammer went down to me.
    My friend took it home.
    Mart eye app.

On the subscription, would farmers be against the mart upping commission, say 50 cent an animal, to split the costs on the camera, instead of commission?
    (that's if the mart hasn't done so already).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I think the look back facility is handy and for €50 a year it isn't to bad, yes it was better when it was free. like you can still view live auctions & bid without subscription so that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nobe of this money is going to subsidize Mart's costs IMO. It's a grab by LSL it's plus vat as well. I imagine vat is at 22%. If you pay by the year it's 62 euro if you pay monthly it's slightly over 80 euro.

It's big money if they get 10k yearly subscriptions it's half a million plus vat. Add in maybe another half a million plus for lads that subscribe by the month for 5-6 months a year.

At the end of the day it's marts and sellers that benefit from extra competition caused by online bidding. But a buyer cannot watch 2-3 marts at the same time to any great extent. If he want to see the trend in marts he needs to be able to review its trade. This takes away this option. 60-80 euro is more than half the profit margin on an animal to many lads

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I’d be willing to pay the extra if we got a bit more than what was offered here to fore. For example if I was able to look back at several previous mart sales and not just the last one would be a good selling point.
    Also when marts go back to the ring the majority of sales will revert to ringside buyers severely reducing online platforms revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭straight

I'd imagine alot of the dealers will have to go get a job or do some work or something now that they can't control the price at the ringside like before. At least that was the case in my local mart anyway. They were close to closing the place with their carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

Now the dealers just sit in or beside each others jeeps or lorrys and pick wat they want and not bid on each other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Nobe of this money is going to subsidize Mart's costs IMO. It's a grab by LSL it's plus vat as well. I imagine vat is at 22%. If you pay by the year it's 62 euro if you pay monthly it's slightly over 80 euro.

It's big money if they get 10k yearly subscriptions it's half a million plus vat. Add in maybe another half a million plus for lads that subscribe by the month for 5-6 months a year.

At the end of the day it's marts and sellers that benefit from extra competition caused by online bidding. But a buyer cannot watch 2-3 marts at the same time to any great extent. If he want to see the trend in marts he needs to be able to review its trade. This takes away this option. 60-80 euro is more than half the profit margin on an animal to many lads

Do the other 2 apps offer this facility ? ( I honestly don't know as I only use them for buying or viewing)

Lsl also offer free herd monitor app.

60 e a year (fully tax deductible) isn't a lot if you need it.

Personally I don't but would have no hesitation if I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭straight

leoch wrote: »
    Now the dealers just sit in or beside each others jeeps or lorrys and pick wat they want and not bid on each other

In our mart if a farmer dared to bid himself they would hammer him/her on price. If someone else tried to bid the next dealer would take them on and make sure they overpaid. They were just a bunch of bullies in our mart anyway. Any farmer that wanted to buy had to go through them. They would give the dealers their lot number and ask them to buy for them. When the farmer gets the cattle then the big ones could often be picked out and replaced with smaller ones. I hope half of them will disappear from the ringside forever and leave it to the genuine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

straight wrote: »
    In our mart if a farmer dared to bid himself they would hammer him/her on price. If someone else tried to bid the next dealer would take them on and make sure they overpaid. They were just a bunch of bullies in our mart anyway. Any farmer that wanted to buy had to go through them. They would give the dealers their lot number and ask them to buy for them. When the farmer gets the cattle then the big ones could often be picked out and replaced with smaller ones. I hope half of them will disappear from the ringside forever and leave it to the genuine people.

They are the one parasite that there’s no dose for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

straight wrote: »

Ah here. I wouldn’t be doing any business there. It’s poorly run if that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Ah here. I wouldn’t be doing any business there. It’s poorly run if that goes on.

Thats exactly it, sounds like awful management more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Cavanjack wrote: »

I buy all my own cattle and hear these stories every week but have yet to see it for myself. But I wouldn't be sharpest.
    I have often gave as good as I get when buying. No one wants to lose money.

The only guy I fear when buying cattle is the dealer spending someone else's money. They have no stopping point and don't care.
    Nothing as easy spend as someone else money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Thats exactly it, sounds like awful management more than anything.

What can management in a small mart do.....or maybe on a big one either you can hardly stop fellas bidding or not taking bids.

It always happen in any new mart I venture into. Lads try to bull you. When I reach a certain price I stop bidding. If they keep doing it I start opening every thing coming into the ring at 70% of its value and bid it to about 85-90% of it value. There is some of them that get whiplash now and again.

Onxe about 6-8 years ago a bunch of bullocks came across not the ring there had to split them in two for the weighting there was about 12 in the ring fancy R grade Continental about 700kgs. The base price at the time was3.9/kg I'd say. The boys were refusing to open them even at 1100 when the auctioneer reduced it to a thousand I opened and followed them to 1300. Then I stopped dead. It took them 15 seconds to come in on me at 1k, About a half dozen nearly got whiplash with how fast they looked around. After I finished it took th.another 10-15 seconds to decide who was going to bid on as they were still a bit below market value. I could have carried them to 1400 euro and got them slaughtered with the week and not lost money on them.

I have often spend 20-30 minutes opening cattle before a bunch I was really interested in came in. You have just got to know your stock

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

i have noticed now aswell in one of our local marts when a dealer is selling... info on the screen dih(days in herd)is always 0 and when the hammer drops its never announced as sold and the buyers name called they just move on to next lot(as its themselves or a cronnie buying it so the auctioneer or mart is in cahoots with them iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

What can management in a small mart do.....or maybe on a big one either you can hardly stop fellas bidding or not taking bids.

It always happen in any new mart I venture into. Lads try to bull you. When I reach a certain price I stop bidding. If they keep doing it I start opening every thing coming into the ring at 70% of its value and bid it to about 85-90% of it value. There is some of them that get whiplash now and again.

Onxe about 6-8 years ago a bunch of bullocks came across not the ring there had to split them in two for the weighting there was about 12 in the ring fancy R grade Continental about 700kgs. The base price at the time was3.9/kg I'd say. The boys were refusing to open them even at 1100 when the auctioneer reduced it to a thousand I opened and followed them to 1300. Then I stopped dead. It took them 15 seconds to come in on me at 1k, About a half dozen nearly got whiplash with how fast they looked around. After I finished it took th.another 10-15 seconds to decide who was going to bid on as they were still a bit below market value. I could have carried them to 1400 euro and got them slaughtered with the week and not lost money on them.

I have often spend 20-30 minutes opening cattle before a bunch I was really interested in came in. You have just got to know your stock

Well I go to 3 sometimes 4 marts a week this time of year here and that messing is certainly not tolerated by management that I see.
    Now saying that I was in a mart up the country last back end I had not been to in years and the main windbag was a very quiet boy, I was told the online bidding had seriously clipped his wings.
    I've posted this ten times but a-holes will be a-holes what ever walk of life your in. The biggest pantsing i got here was from a gardener followed closely by painters.
    That unfortunately is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭High bike

Kilmallock on fire today anything over 500kg was making 700 with their weight.Amazing what the feed lots can pay when they have to,long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

leoch wrote: »
    i have noticed now aswell in one of our local marts when a dealer is selling... info on the screen dih(days in herd)is always 0 and when the hammer drops its never announced as sold and the buyers name called they just move on to next lot(as its themselves or a cronnie buying it so the auctioneer or mart is in cahoots with them iykwim

Marts have to put up the board for animals with the sellers details as part of their license and is checked by department.All you have to do is not bid if no board is up with the details.On LSL one mart in the south when selling horned cattle the other night and the ring man goes and stands in front of the camera when they come into the ring.

• Advertisement

Most marts don’t put up the sellers details as far as i can see on Marteye and LsL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Marts have to put up the board for animals with the sellers details as part of their license and is checked by department.All you have to do is not bid if no board is up with the details.On LSL one mart in the south when selling horned cattle the other night and the ring man goes and stands in front of the camera when they come into the ring.
    Saw the same on Saturday and they dont always stand in front of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Sami23

tanko wrote: »
    Most marts don’t put up the sellers details as far as i can see on Marteye and LsL.

100% correct

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Saw the same on Saturday and they dont always stand in front of the camera

There's no legislation preventing the sale of horned cattle but there is protocol to be followed regarding penning them separately from other cattle in the mart. Horned cattle are not to be mixed with other cattle due to the risk of injury and they should be kept separate at all times in the mart. Granted some marts refuse to accept horned stock and may have signage to that effect present, however that's an individual mart decision and not a department one. Department officials are within the law to stop the sale of animals with only 1 tag but horned stock are entitled to be sold once the relevant protocol is followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

There's no legislation preventing the sale of horned cattle but there is protocol to be followed regarding penning them separately from other cattle in the mart. Horned cattle are not to be mixed with other cattle due to the risk of injury and they should be kept separate at all times in the mart. Granted some marts refuse to accept horned stock and may have signage to that effect present, however that's an individual mart decision and not a department one. Department officials are within the law to stop the sale of animals with only 1 tag but horned stock are entitled to be sold once the relevant protocol is followed.

Have to disagree with you there
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/111/made/en/print

Read ammendment 3 E of the above.

About fifteen years ago i was selling a heifer with a butt of a horn, the department lad took her card from the mart office and told me i couldn’t sell her.
    Has to bring her home.

Has the rule changed since or does it just depend on who happens to be in the mart on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Read ammendment 3 E of the above.

You should of been a solicitor.
    Its amazeing how the fine print can derail the original heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

About fifteen years ago i was selling a heifer with a butt of a horn, the department lad took her card from the mart office and told me i couldn’t sell her.
    Has to bring her home.

Has the rule changed since or does it just depend on who happens to be in the mart on the day?

I am buying horned cattle every week out of marts. They seem to be penned separately alright.

• Advertisement

Has to bring her home.

The document Grassroot has kindly linked above dates from 2014. I've forgotten what the official stance on the issue prior to this was so in short I don't know whether the department official was right or wrong in your case.

I've seen similar to happen in recent year's (post 2014) and the department official was proven to be in the wrong when the legislation was consulted. Provided the relevant protocol is followed then there's nothing preventing the sale of horned cattle from the departments perspective, however the mart is still within there rights to refuse admission to such stock but that's an individual mart decision. It's important to keep in mind that state officials aren't always up to date with relevant legislation and there not immune to error any more than us mere mortals.

Advertisement