Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The match went down hill once all 20 men entered.

I must have dosed off when this happened :confused:;)

One point to note - WarGames in the past used to end within 2 - 3 minutes of the last guy entering. The heat was the fight. Finishes were often flat. I commend the idea in modern times to have a more dramatic finish as NXT & AEW have tried, but it doesn't need to be so long. Had all ten brawled, split off, maybe teased a couple submissions by faces with say Swagger & Jericho having their finishers on heels only for someone to make a save, and then they'd gone to a finish (I felt Guevara tapping or passing out in the sharpshooter would have been cool), the match would have been better. As it is, it felt like they were having this classic match and it just came off the rails a little at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having it happen on the entrance side of the ring probably didn't help either since probably hard to see anything past the cage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    I must have dosed off when this happened :confused:;)

One point to note - WarGames in the past used to end within 2 - 3 minutes of the last guy entering. The heat was the fight. Finishes were often flat. I commend the idea in modern times to have a more dramatic finish as NXT & AEW have tried, but it doesn't need to be so long. Had all ten brawled, split off, maybe teased a couple submissions by faces with say Swagger & Jericho having their finishers on heels only for someone to make a save, and then they'd gone to a finish (I felt Guevara tapping or passing out in the sharpshooter would have been cool), the match would have been better. As it is, it felt like they were having this classic match and it just came off the rails a little at the end.

10...damn it 10.

I feel AEW felt the ending would perhaps fall flat without a grand finish. Their "grand finish" was very tame though. I found NXTs War Games endings more satisfyingly.

Like realistically, after Mankind fell from the cell in 98, a cell bump has always lacked a the same punch. I defo dont want anyone to kill themselves liek Mick Foley did, I just think maybe they should avoid the big cell bump all together.

Meant to ask, did they say what happened Hager? did he have a cut on his head before going in or did I mistake it?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Meant to ask, did they say what happened Hager? did he have a cut on his head before going in or did I mistake it?

He'd written IC on his head in red.

• Advertisement

Ah OK. New TV settings still need to be adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm really liking the Ethan Page & Scorpio Sky/ Scorpio Sky & Ethan Page arrogance.

A good match putting them together there by Tony Khan.

Meltzer reporting that of the 1500 in attendance only 5 refunds were asked for and given when Tony Khan offered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Officer999 wrote: »
    Did the live crowd get the ending with Sammy quitting? I felt he should have had a microphone so the live crowd could hear him quit.

Not at all. The match just seemed to end and the fact it happened the tron side of the cage meant the live crowd could see nothing. They erupted in boos which would have been awkward had IC won.

Overall chatting to others after, everyone felt it was still worth it overall. The tickets for the show were 25 bucks each too but I imagine if they were more people would have been pissed. We did get first dibs on next week's Dynamite tickets at 20 each. Might have been better had the crowd had first access to double or nothing tickets or something.

The venue is great too, and I have so much more respect for the wrestlers being able to go in that heat and humidity. It can be brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Glad you enjoyed it, I hope everyone goes home covid free!

I'll do a full write up with some pics once I get back to a proper computer. There were some really cool small things you see live in such a small setting. One being the stage manager absolutely freaking at Kenny for going over time. Hager flattened Aubrey on his way out of the ring at the end, not sure if it made the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

OK I'm ready for the discourse!

I've just finished the show. It was tremendous. And the main event was a stunning set piece, crazy action that slowed in the final third in a logical way, it's a ridiculously long and brutal match, of course it should slow. Everyone got shine, the crowd were red hot (as Cherry Cola can obviously attest to being there live). I loved how it was shot, the camera work was tight, you could see how brutal it was, the exhaustion of the match came across so perfectly on the broadcast.

I had no issue with the finish until I saw Twitter. It was a safe bump. That's pro wrestling. Taking safe bumps (as much as that's a thing) and making them look cool. I have absolutely no desire to see Chris Jericho flung onto steel or concrete from a height. And MJF with the blood soaked face on top of the cage post match was so damn great.

Compelling pro wrestling. It was compelling television as a whole honestly. Engrossing, engaging, I don't know what else to say, US weekly TV wrestling has rarely been this good.

Blood and Guts ****3/4

OK I'm ready for the discourse!

I've just finished the show. It was tremendous. And the main event was a stunning set piece, crazy action that slowed in the final third in a logical way, it's a ridiculously long and brutal match, of course it should slow. Everyone got shine, the crowd were red hot (as Cherry Cola can obviously attest to being there live). I loved how it was shot, the camera work was tight, you could see how brutal it was, the exhaustion of the match came across so perfectly on the broadcast.

I had no issue with the finish until I saw Twitter. It was a safe bump. That's pro wrestling. Taking safe bumps (as much as that's a thing) and making them look cool. I have absolutely no desire to see Chris Jericho flung onto steel or concrete from a height. And MJF with the blood soaked face on top of the cage post match was so damn great.

Compelling pro wrestling. It was compelling television as a whole honestly. Engrossing, engaging, I don't know what else to say, US weekly TV wrestling has rarely been this good.

Blood and Guts ****3/4

Never a near 5 star match. Nope. Bad take LOB.

Im not saying it was ****, I enjoyed a lot of it. But its not over 3 and 3/4 stars for me.

The last 15 mins dragged on and the finish missed the mark.

Regardless of how safe the bump was, it was way too obvious and lacked any real drama.

There was a lot to like, some nice set pieces, some cool moves and some decent storytelling. Some great visuals too.

But its no near 5 star match. Not even close

Also thought youd view the show as a dud due to the lack of Hook.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Never a near 5 star match. Nope. Bad take LOB.

Im not saying it was ****, I enjoyed a lot of it. But its not over 3 and 3/4 stars for me.

The last 15 mins dragged on and the finish missed the mark.

Regardless of how safe the bump was, it was way too obvious and lacked any real drama.

There was a lot to like, some nice set pieces, some cool moves and some decent storytelling. Some great visuals too.

But its no near 5 star match. Not even close

Ye we are very divergent on our takes on this match!

Tbh my main gripes were minor. I didn't like the two team stand off spot trope they do in the NXT version. And there was a couple of clumsy spots. But again, minor stuff for me so quarter star deduction. Everything else I loved.

The finish for sure is divicise. Not from the perspective of it being a safe bump, that argument holds no weight with me. But the kayfabe nature of it. Personally I really liked it because it played into the story, these guys chose Jericho, they chose him when MJF tried to turn them against him, and they chose him here over winning a big main event. Granted, if you thought it crossed the line for melodrama that's fair enough but it didn't cross that line for me (and I hate melodrama!).

And I actually liked the pacing and felt it added to the match. The opening 3rd started super hot, they worked a crazy pace and the nature of the match wore them down to bloody messes doing chokes, mma holds and fork gouging. To me at least, tremendous storytelling.

And then the visuals were great, I was so impressed with how it was shot and the commentary.

For me, this was extremely close to 5. And I think in the top 3 Dynamite matches ever.

Actually we were 1 HOOK appearance away from me giving this 2 hour show *****

If the matches were pre recorded and the fans were watching on a screen, when would the Dark/Elevation matches be recorded? Can we expect shorter episodes next week?

I had no issue with the finish until I saw Twitter. It was a safe bump. That's pro wrestling. Taking safe bumps (as much as that's a thing) and making them look cool. I have absolutely no desire to see Chris Jericho flung onto steel or concrete from a height.

Absolutely hate the idea people, yourself included, are presenting this as some sort of defence, pretending as though two possibilities exist -

1) Present this horrible bump where it looked as though Jericho landed on a matress covered in cardboard.
    2) Throw Chris Jericho onto concrete from 15 feet potentially killing or maiming him.

There is, in fact, a further possiblity, another you could have gone down. Stick with me here as it is very complex :p :
    3) Don't do this particular spot if you can't make it look any good.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's what a lot of people on Reddit are doing. You say the spot was shìte and they're like "Oh, you want him to be thrown down 20ft on real concrete." Being deliberately obtuse.

Nah, just make it look good. Don't paint pieces of cardboard (on one side) to look like steel (while calling it concrete). Try to hide the crash pad better. Don't zoom in in Jericho looking bored when he's supposed to be dead.

If Jericho can't do those spots or doesn't want to go all out with them then just don't do them.

I would have prefered Jericho being forced to watch by Wardlow as MJF made Sammy tap or surrender. It didnt need a grand spot.

The tail end of the match dragged and the finish just didnt work for me.

Baker v Thunder was way ahead of this match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

1.09 million

#1 on cable for the first time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's what a lot of people on Reddit are doing. You say the spot was shìte and they're like "Oh, you want him to be thrown down 20ft on real concrete." Being deliberately obtuse.

Nah, just make it look good. Don't paint pieces of cardboard (on one side) to look like steel (while calling it concrete). Try to hide the crash pad better. Don't zoom in in Jericho looking bored when he's supposed to be dead.

If Jericho can't do those spots or doesn't want to go all out with them then just don't do them.

Yeah they could have just filmed it better, Jericho's landing looked positively comfy. They desperately need to improve this stuff, it's such a waste after everyone puts on a good show that the first talking point for anyone who didn't watch live is how crap a handful of seconds were.

TNT must be delighted they signed that new deal with them in January 2020. For AEW it was a lifesaver given the pandemic hit so soon after but for TNT they are paying a modest sum for a property that will be worth a multiple of what they are paying if they can maintain their audience. We are a long way off renewal time yet but if the live sports bubble doesn't burst and AEW can get a huge deal next time, the future of the business featuring two major players in the US market is guaranteed for a good decade. That is a truly wonderful thing for this industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Blood and Guts was great, wouldn't go quite five stars myself. Everything up to the double spike-piledriver was fantastic, it slowed down a bit towards the end.

The Jericho bump didn't look that good but I didnt think it looked significantly worse than a lot of stage/big-height bumps that you see, you notice the soft landing most of the time. There's a hint of nit-picking going on about it, which happens a lot with AEW.

I actually preferred the Dragongate Dead or Alive cage match from earlier in the week but B&G was still great.

It wasn't perfect (what is) but still brilliant and a really enjoyable watch. Great to see AEW continuing to do well with the product and in the ratings despite some of the naysayers. It's easily the best weekly US pro-wrestling show.

Monokne wrote: »
    Absolutely hate the idea people, yourself included, are presenting this as some sort of defence, pretending as though two possibilities exist -

1) Present this horrible bump where it looked as though Jericho landed on a matress covered in cardboard.
    2) Throw Chris Jericho onto concrete from 15 feet potentially killing or maiming him.

There is, in fact, a further possiblity, another you could have gone down. Stick with me here as it is very complex :p :
    3) Don't do this particular spot if you can't make it look any good.

:)

Thing is I'd no problem with how it looked either. I've seen a million cage bumps. It didn't look deadly and a couple issues with some angles they used post bump but that was it really.

It's pro wrestling. Things that are incredibly safe but are sold as death happen all the time. The discourse doesn't interest me at all. In the same way I can take a chokeslam as a finish even though I know it's one of the safest bumps you can take, same thing applied here for me.

I was far too impressed with the match and the story and the MJF performance (stunning) to get caught up in that debate.

Just met Cody at the airport, very sound and approachable. Santana sitting at the bar, gonna chance it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just met Cody at the airport, very sound and approachable. Santana sitting at the bar, gonna chance it now!

Ah don't be that guy.

markedout-e1538586341580.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=386&dpr=1.5

pin.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=554&dpr=1.5

JzvELuC.jpeg

Never, people stop me for pics all the time so I never do it to others. I have social skills also thankfully.

Private Party were the ones who came up to me yest asking about my style haha.

Mox is also here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ah man I ****ing love this show

Blood and Guts guys beat the **** out of each other and I loved it

MJF coming out it as the super star, dethroning Jericho and having him out of the picture is great and MJF will eat it up

Also how ****ing good is Omega, god damn I loved his segment with Orange

Advertisement