Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sure, different situations, different context but enough similarities to make it relevant.

Situation 1: Established, almost unbeatable monster squashes up and coming star = not ok
    Situation 2: Misused wannabe monster, in need of character rehab, a few weeks out of semi-joke angles, squashes, not beats after a valiant struggle, but SQUASHES arguably the most over AEW homegrown talent = ok

Seriously?

Character rehab shouldn't mean going from being on the losing end of a comedy feud to squashing - and let's be clear, this is all about squashing, not having the jeff hardy v undertaker kinda match you mentioned, but pure squashing - a long time champion that beat one of the company's previous monsters, Brian Cage as well as Cody Rhodes and is probably their biggest homegrown star.

Beat him with a competitive match or shenanigans that's fine, but squash and it's crap booking that puts a wwe-reject over a homegrown star a la bad times WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Luther's powerbomb on Jungle Boy didn't look right.

Tay not accompanied by The Dark Order?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sure, different situations, different context but enough similarities to make it relevant.

Situation 1: Established, almost unbeatable monster squashes up and coming star = not ok
    Situation 2: Misused wannabe monster, in need of character rehab, a few weeks out of semi-joke angles, squashes, not beats after a valiant struggle, but SQUASHES arguably the most over AEW homegrown talent = ok

Seriously?

Character rehab shouldn't mean going from being on the losing end of a comedy feud to squashing - and let's be clear, this is all about squashing, not having the jeff hardy v undertaker kinda match you mentioned, but pure squashing - a long time champion that beat one of the company's previous monsters, Brian Cage as well as Cody Rhodes and is probably their biggest homegrown star.

Beat him with a competitive match or shenanigans that's fine, but squash and it's crap booking that puts a wwe-reject over a homegrown star a la bad times WCW.

Its fine by me and it appears others see the logic.

End of the day its like this, Ricochet needed a win, Brock didnt. Brock could afford to at least make Ricochet look stronger. He didnt need to squash him.

Allin can afford a squash in the circumstances as hes selling an injury. Miro needs a dominant win.

Its not to hard to understand.

You are arguing about a match that hasnt happened yet. Lets wait until it happens. I dont think Allin will be squashed but i do think he will lose and lose clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Think the fact that Darby might lose isn't the logic , Darby's character has been built as someone who will go down in a blaze of glory when he finally does go down , he's been winning big matchs week after week sometimes going to crazy places to do it

and the point of kind of is even though he might be battered, beat up , injured he's still going to go out and take it to Miro who is unbeaten and despite all the gaming rubbish it still took all 3 of the best friends to put him down

So an injured Darby making a massive effort while injured and losing puts both guys over Miro builds his no mercy monster and Darby doesn't lose much and has an excuse for a rematch when he's fully fit so to speak , think it's been booked masterfully in my mind and he could even win

the other one , Nobody in there right mind thought Richochet was going to beat Lesnar

the other one , Nobody in there right mind thought Richochet was going to beat Lesnar

No one said he should..... Im saying he didnt have to be squashed. Its made no sense.

Allin being squashed is different, its a different situation and different circumstances. Its a different Shark Ted. Its not like for like no matter how you spin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,874 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Loved that segment with Danny Limelight on Elevation.

It's always enjoyable seeing Paul Wight interviewing wrestlers and getting to know them better

Paul Wight isn't bad either. :pac:

Ricky Starks is out of action for 3 months with a fractured neck. He was injured by the German suplex (against hangman) when he landed on his neck and head.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,874 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ah ****

God dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

....but Lesnar (an actual legit monster push for years vs a few weeks for Miro) squashing Ricochet was a slap in the face, hurt his image, travesty of justice, disrespectful, killed his momentum, showing wwe wasting talent, vince seeing nothing in him ...ad infinitum.*

Kind of a double standard isn't it.

*NOTE: I don't actually disagree that Ricochet deserved better in that match, wouldn't trust wwe to push a shopping trolley correctly.

If you can't see how Lesnar squashing a talented but underpushed guy into oblivion (did Ricochet ever get his comeuppance by the way?) is different to a long angle with Miro breaking out as a monster to beat Darby (who has main evented 3 of the last 4 Dynamite's whose exhaustion has been built into the story and who they've even given an out to with the steps bump) then sorry but you're completely lost. I can promise you 100% Darby will be fine. He's Teflon.

• Advertisement

Ricky Starks is out of action for 3 months with a fractured neck. He was injured by the German suplex (against hangman) when he landed on his neck and head.

Ah fcuk.

It looked nasty and its such a pity. He was starting to get more Dynamite attention and arguably had a match with Christian on the horizon.

LOB though sees a young son of Taz stepping up right :pac:

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah fcuk.

It looked nasty and its such a pity. He was starting to get more Dynamite attention and arguably had a match with Christian on the horizon.

LOB though sees a young son of Taz stepping up right :pac:

That Christian match not happening is such a horrible shame. Two of the best "TV" wrestlers around, would've been a clinic.

But... This is HOOKS time baby! Push the Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Man that sucks about Starks. I guess one positive is he might make a white-hot return in front of a live audience on Dynamite.

Man that sucks about Starks. I guess one positive is he might make a white-hot return in front of a live audience on Dynamite.

I wonder will they write him out. Or will he remain in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

Heard it is expected that he will still be on TV in some capacity and that it will not require surgery.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Headshot wrote: »
    Loved that segment with Danny Limelight on Elevation.

It's always enjoyable seeing Paul Wight interviewing wrestlers and getting to know them better

Yea, I was only saying a couple of weeks ago that we needed to get one of those interviews with him to show off who he is, he came out of it really well and has laid himself out as a hardworking self-made man who's not afraid of a challenge and who's in the business for the long haul. Then had a solid match against a Moxley who's looking ready for a big fight against Nagata. A couple of fun and interesting acrobatic spots.

But they kept the Bucks thing going via Kingston and we're starting to see why they've been teasing the idea of who Jade Cargill will sign with by bringing out "the man responsible for MFJ having the best contract in the company" so maybe she joins Pinnacle? She's still got a way to go in terms of her in-ring skills I think, but man she looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Could be a blessing in disguise for Starks give him more mic time and by the time he's fully fit he'll be white hot " if they play there cards right " look at how they built Britt Baker through her injury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

If you can't see how Lesnar squashing a talented but underpushed guy into oblivion (did Ricochet ever get his comeuppance by the way?) is different to a long angle with Miro breaking out as a monster to beat Darby (who has main evented 3 of the last 4 Dynamite's whose exhaustion has been built into the story and who they've even given an out to with the steps bump) then sorry but you're completely lost. I can promise you 100% Darby will be fine. He's Teflon.

He was referring to Miro squashing Darby to be fair. Not just beating him , but squashing him.

The more fair comparison if the squash was to happen would Cody v Lee for the TNT title. Would be a bit silly of them to do a squash and title change so soon after last one.

However the fact we are talking about a squash goes to show how well they have built the story. That is Miro is a monster and Darby is wounded.

Sirsok wrote: »
    He was referring to Miro squashing Darby to be fair. Not just beating him , but squashing him.

The more fair comparison if the squash was to happen would Cody v Lee for the TNT title. Would be a bit silly of them to do a squash and title change so soon after last one.

However the fact we are talking about a squash goes to show how well they have built the story. That is Miro is a monster and Darby is wounded.

I mean to me the essence of the Darby character is that occasionally he can be squashed by a monster. He's an underdog, who has defended the title relentlessly and was thrown down stairs the previous week. A minute squash, a feud against Sky/Page and then challenging again for the title after that programme makes all the sense in the world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Allin losing the title tomorrow and then winning back in a couple months in a stipulation match against all odds would be in line with is character.

The TNT title is one that can be changed every few months and not lose its luster as it is there to be challenged for every week on TV

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it was that bad spot from the german against Hangman that broke Starks neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Christ just saw that, feel bad for both guys but of course more so for Ricky. I'm not saying Hangman is to blame but when you're involved in something like that it has to rattle you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Seriously?

Yeah even if a squash might make some logical sense they still aren't common enough at the top levels to not do damage, Cody could shake it off but I'm not so sure Darby can. There's no guarantee he gets to redeem himself down the line either, there's loads of people who could challenge for this title.

A double Hook appearance on Dark this week.

Caster almost broke Taz
    Booty butt, booty butt, booty butt cheeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't know who Yuji Nagata is, cause I'm not really into Japanese wrestling at all.

But for some reason, the vibe I'm getting is him vs Mox is going to be an absolute brawl? That despite his age, people are hyped for two lads beating the snot out of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I don't know who Yuji Nagata is, cause I'm not really into Japanese wrestling at all.

But for some reason, the vibe I'm getting is him vs Mox is going to be an absolute brawl? That despite his age, people are hyped for two lads beating the snot out of each other?

All the talk has been about Darby/Miro but this is the one I'm looking forward to most as a Puro head.

Should be a hard-hitting brawl like you said, Nagata got the upper hand against Mox on the last episode of Strong. There's a real full circle feel to seeing Blue Justice wrestling on TNT again years after wrestling on Nitro. Can't wait!

All the talk has been about Darby/Miro but this is the one I'm looking forward to most as a Puro head.

Should be a hard-hitting brawl like you said, Nagata got the upper hand against Mox on the last episode of Strong. There's a real full circle feel to seeing Blue Justice wrestling on TNT again years after wrestling on Nitro. Can't wait!

Its a stacked card.

Miro v Allin, Mox v Nag, Bucks v SCU...... and thats without the likes of Page, Christian, Omega, etc......

Is OC vs Pac tonight as well?

I stayed up last week to watch, something I haven't done with AEW besides their PPVs. I havent stayed up to watch a TV event since Raw some years ago and to be honest, every time I staye dup to watch Ra win teh last 7 years Ive been disappointed I did.

But last week, i wasnt disappointed. I may run the sleep gauntlet for this card tonight.

Even to see what Cody's announcement for Double or Nothing has me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Thunder Rosa is also scheduled for an appearance.

• Advertisement

Oh and meant to say, new blonde added to Varsity Blondes in the form of Julia Hart.

Advertisement