Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was sailing on Asgard 2 off the coast once when we were used for winch operations training with R116. Lucky crew member who got winched up was taken for a bit of a spin before they set him back down again. Huge skill and razor sharp precision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 115 does a lot of training with the ferries going to the Aran Islands. big thrill for the tourists when they were here, lets hope it gets back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

151954638_10158871459454020_9160701336833393224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=kVPXEeltUVAAX9Um8dk&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=b42566499bbcd93d0151cd773a337e5e&oe=605A09D4

"The Irish ferries chartered ferry Mega Express Four (Dublin - Cherbourg) passing the auto carrier Schelde Highway off Wicklow head this evening.
    20.2.2021"

Shamlessly stolen from Facebook's wicklowmaritime page. Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

151954638_10158871459454020_9160701336833393224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=kVPXEeltUVAAX9Um8dk&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=b42566499bbcd93d0151cd773a337e5e&oe=605A09D4

"The Irish ferries chartered ferry Mega Express Four (Dublin - Cherbourg) passing the auto carrier Schelde Highway off Wicklow head this evening.
    20.2.2021"

Shamlessly stolen from Facebook's wicklowmaritime page. Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.
    I saw that in Dublin Port the other day, and wondered what it was! Fairly stands out in that bright yellow coat!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I understand she's covering dry dockings of IF ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.

Not quite, it's on a 2 month charter to fill in while all 4 of Irish Ferries fleet are out of service in turn for dry-docking. Will mainly be on the secondary Dublin Holyhead service which does a return Cherbourg run at weekends.

Anyone know what the passenger ship showing up off the Kerry Coast for the past few days is, it's on Marine Traffic but looks like AIS is not on, perhaps one of the ones off the UK South Coast going for a run around

From a friend who has a military app the USS Iwo Jima off the Waterford Coast today with Ospreys flying around, I saw Rescue 117 in the area as well maybe taking a look. she is not showing on AIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I notice va lot ships departing from Murmansk travel down the Irish Sea,why would they not go via the English Channel ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Us supply ship currently heading up the middle of the Irish sea

• Advertisement

Danish Frigate alongside crude oil tank off rosslare, probably training ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

2 Belgian fishing trawlers tied up in Dun Laoghaire unloading catches from the far side of the Irish sea. British registered trawler also showing up on marine traffic

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/50182-dun-laoghaire-harbour-proves-to-be-a-good-catch-for-belgian-fishing-fleet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Frenchie doing what Frenchie does best and causing trouble and protesting. A sizeable fleet blockading the main port of Jersey in the Channel Islands. Two RN ships loitering close by watching it all happen.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.106/centery:49.155/zoom:12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The channel islands get their electricity from France I believe. They would soon soften their cough with a few days in the dark and no Internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wonder what sea state and wind they can operate in?

Did you see the size of the ladder he flung over not a hope going up that in bad weather why did he not land on a lower deck it, the guy going up had some difficulty getting his boots onto the ladder .

Maersk Peary on "military operations" off Wexford, designed for polar regions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Assigned to US Military Sealift Command.

Could be on its way to or from supporting Exercise Strike Warrior which is currently active off Scotland and involves up to 40 vessels operating as two Forces to test the readiness of the HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier group.

• Advertisement

USS George W Bush was off the Aran Islands on Friday one of her Seahawks flew over Galway from Baldonnell and there was one in Shannon.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    One of our AW139 took a trip out for a look also.

Nice one I guess there would have been a lot of hands up to fly that one I presume they would have landed on her which would have been something to be able to say, now that you mentioned that a friend told me that two helicopters passed over Galway heading West so that must have been the Seahawk and the AW139.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,134 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

I saw that ok but I heard that it was a carrier group the Destroyer would have been part of it there was certainly a Seahawk in Baldonnell and Shannon normally US Carriers have Destroyers for protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Marino is being used regularly as a dock now that the CHC are the owners, plenty od activity there.

Was driving down Howth head on Saturday overlooking Dublin bay and way off in distance could see the legs of this yoke on the horizon off wicklow. Offshore supply ship LB Jill on the Codling bank

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/shipid:1189923/ship_name:LB_JILL

showphoto.aspx?photoid=4258451

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

neris wrote: »
    Was driving down Howth head on Saturday overlooking Dublin bay and way off in distance could see the legs of this yoke on the horizon off wicklow. Offshore supply ship LB Jill on the Codling bank

I think it works on fitting wind turbines or research into the areas they can be built in.

Good work. Wasn't aware of the net thing.

Fairly chunky, ice breaking LNG tanker , Vladimir Vize, passing Howth Head soon.

• Advertisement
    M

Such a shocking decision not allowing a LNG terminal to be built in the country.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    It's OK, nobody here uses LNG for anything.....

Apart from the Gas fired power stations and every single house that converted to piped gas heating over the years.....

Its ok bicycles and window boxes will save us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Spotted a Belgian flagged trawler coming out of Howth today. I know they've been using Dun Laoghaire to off load before

I wouldn't be too concerned, the Norwegians have this thing parked outside Murmansk on a permanent basis...

US Supply Ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

WB Yeats is out for 24 hours now just outside Dublin Bay just going up and down. Does anyone know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,134 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Looks like Dutch navy landing ship Rotterdam heading out of Dublin Port at the minute... followed by smaller L9527 assault ship.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:225671/mmsi:244159000/imo:9109756/vessel:HNLMS%20ROTTERDAM

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Have been watching this, it's sitting off Dun Laoghaire at the minute, a second landing craft was present for a time.

Just watching Anna G (containership) at Dublin anchorage with 2 tugs and a pilot in attendance, engine problems perhaps? Four other ships at anchorage and 19 in Dublin port (excluding tugs/pilots), that's as busy as I've seen it in recent times.

Just looked at the recent tracking, Anna G was brought down from Warrenpoint by Mourneventure. Seems to be heading into Dun Laoghaire now where there's a fishing vessel being refueled on the Carlisle Pier.

• Advertisement

Dublin port appears to have ceased operations temporarily, there's a number of ships moving around the Irish Sea just off Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was amazed to see the WB Yeats sailed from Dublin to Cherbourg overnight on Monday, must've been some crossing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Even more amazing was that Ulysses sailed from Dublin to Holyhead at midnight on the 8th, some 4 hours later than scheduled to sail. I am very glad I was not on it, they have just succeeded in docking at Holyhead on the 4th attempt, they eventually managed to get alongside and moored at about 23:45 on the 8th, so effectively an almost 24 hour crossing, so anyone that arrived in Dublin port on time for the planned departure has endured close on 28 hours of hell, as they spent most of today wandering around off Holyhead, along with Stena Explorer, that has just docked with the assistance of 2 tugs, having also tried several times to get in and failed. Stena Estrid is at present holding for a berth, and that's going to be a number of hours, and Epsilon was due to sail from Dublin at about 18:00, as the delayed 14:10 sailing, and eventually departed Dublin around Midnight. The winds at Holyhead have been NW around 40 Kts for most of the day, and are only starting to moderate slightly in the last hour or so.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Interesting visitor to Skerries:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Anyone know what cruiseship is anchored in Dublin bay this lunchtime?

Edit: it's the Emerald Princess apparently.

En route from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.

It's an impressive beast, will stick up a pic when I get closer

Post edited by FintanMcluskey on

M

Yes there's a huge amount of them on the move this month, lots have rebased to Europe from US for the summer to run cruises around the Med.

A lot of them visiting Dun Laoghaire (well, anchoring in Dublin bay with guests transferring into Dun Laoghaire then on to the city centre etc. And some remain to soak up the many delights of Dun Laoghaire.)

Greg Mortimer was in the harbour yesterday and appears to have remained overnight, unique looking passenger vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Now stopped at Tory Island 😮

That's a very big ship for a little island/harbour!

Small enough ship only carries 132 passengers and is 7 thousand tons doing around Ireland trip Aran Islands next quite a few doing the ports "World Explorer" left Galway heading for Killybegs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement