Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

zagmund wrote: »

By the way, what ever happened to the promised cruise ships for DL this Summer? There was the Queen Mary 2 and then one the other day, but I thought they were expecting ~20 or something.

z

Two due in to Dun Laoghaire this week Zagmund - Corinthian on Wednesday and one of the more notable ones - Wind Surf - on Thursday. Both due in early/out by 6pm. Wind Surf is in Fishguard today.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wind Surf is a beaut, largest vessel I can recall docking at the Carlisle Pier since the Car Ferry days

(source Twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Two due in to Dun Laoghaire this week Zagmund - Corinthian on Wednesday and one of the more notable ones - Wind Surf - on Thursday. Both due in early/out by 6pm. Wind Surf is in Fishguard today.

Simon

Oh great, we'll have a good view as we head out in the launch for racing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

LE Emer off Howth, probably on fisheries duty

LE-Emer-howth-18-july-2013-3_zpsd45d47da.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tricky D wrote: »
    LE Emer off Howth, probably on fisheries duty

LE-Emer-howth-18-july-2013-3_zpsd45d47da.jpg

lovely picture, she has nice lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

looks like there at fishing stations, she was anchored off wicklow harbour yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that angle makes her look very small

that angle makes her look very small
    i spent a patrol on board L.E. Aisling bout ten years ago which is same class as L.E. Emer and yeah they can get a bit cramped

looks like there at fishing stations, she was anchored off wicklow harbour yesterday morning

And was back at Howth later yesterday.:confused:

And was back at Howth later yesterday.:confused:
    there's very little distance between howth and wicklow to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Why would there be? They are Norwegian Ships, working for a Norwegian company, supporting a Norwegian Owned, Bahamian registered exploration rig, drilling for Oil 150 miles off the Irish coast that Ireland does not have the capability to drill for.

Absolutely 100% correct. However, a British crewed ship (including Irish etc.), owned by a British company would not be allowed the same privileges. The Norwegians are exceptionally protectionist in their own sector, but only too happy to flood Aberdeen with excess tonnage and thereby reduce the day rate there. An unlevel playing pitch that I never heard well justified.

I understand the Faroese, like ourselves, have yet to have any oil platforms in their waters but nevertheless require junior officers to be locals in order to grow a domestic industry.

there's very little distance between howth and wicklow to be fair

The bit that has me puzzled isn't so much the distance, more the why move and then return, IF they were watching a boat in Howth harbour. Perhaps the boat in question, if indeed there was one, was being inspected in harbour so enabling LE Emer to head off for other business around Wicklow.

/just seems a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

The bit that has me puzzled isn't so much the distance, more the why move and then return, IF they were watching a boat in Howth harbour. Perhaps the boat in question, if indeed there was one, was being inspected in harbour so enabling LE Emer to head off for other business around Wicklow.

Not strange at all!
    They gotta go for chips even if on a call:D

i saw said vessel at 08:00hrs on thursday morning which was 18/07/13 the picture is dated the 19th don't know how it could puzzle ya that it take a whole 30hrs to take up anchor from outside wicklow harbour steam to howth head to drop anchor, who said they were watching a boat, the naval service usually anchors off the coastline if there not on 24hr fisheries details

i saw said vessel at 08:00hrs on thursday morning which was 18/07/13 the picture is dated the 19th don't know how it could puzzle ya that it take a whole 30hrs to take up anchor from outside wicklow harbour steam to howth head to drop anchor,

Dunno where 30 hours comes into the discussion, not sure where you got that from. The post you quoted states I'm puzzled as to why, not how.
    who said they were watching a boat, the naval service usually anchors off the coastline if there not on 24hr fisheries details
    Usually when they anchor at that particular spot it is for fisheries (or presidents) and it was this time too. Howth is a small place in these matters.

Dunno where 30 hours comes into the discussion, not sure where you got that from. The post you quoted states I'm puzzled as to why, not how.

Usually when they anchor at that particular spot it is for fisheries (or presidents) and it was this time too. Howth is a small place in these matters.
    i've been on board naval vessels as i'm a former NSR and on one or two occasions we left haulbowline and headed to anchor just off old head of kinsale, if it puzzle's ya why don't ya ring comms in the base they might help you solve your puzzle, or just tell ya to mind your own business, either way [modsnip]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

i've been on board naval vessels as i'm a former NSR and on one or two occasions we left haulbowline and headed to anchor just off old head of kinsale, if it puzzle's ya why don't ya ring comms in the base they might help you solve your puzzle, or just tell ya to mind your own business, either way [modsnip]

[modsnip], havent a clue what you are talking about. The ship could have anchored for a number of reasons i.e. repairs, weather conditions, training etc etc. None of your or anybody elses business!. Ring comms in the base.....??? You will NOT be given restricted operational info over the phone and also its not the Comms job, so dont ask.

[modsnip]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

In the interests of keeping the peace, some posts above have been edited.

Let's not be getting snippy with each other, huh?

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

3 Bourbons together at anchor in Cork Harbour this morning.
    1072392_224671987680309_571951417_o.jpg

(from Bourbon Calm facebook page).

Great Photo. Thanks
    bet ya there aint any irish personnel on them either????

Ahh, come on.

Are you suggesting these should screw up their crews rotations to let a few Irish personnel on, believe it used to be like that. Have met lots of Irish folks working offshore, they just happen to be on vessels that are on contracts elsewhere.

I'll bet some Dutch folks said the same sort of thing over 40 years ago in the early days of the southern North Sea. When the place was overrun of totally unsuitable American scrap Mississippi mudboats:mad:.
    The Dutch and Norwegians responded by designing and building what for their day were revolutionary ANT's and PSV's. Vessels that would eventually evolve into these fantastic designs.
    Its an open market, the capability does not exist here. It may develop in the future, know of at least one Irish company built a few new PSV's just a couple of years ago.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is the Pearl still attached to the Kinsale field or is she getting a look in on all this activity? I wonder if Mainport are interested in a slice of the action closer to home?

323 wrote: »
    Great Photo. Thanks

Ahh, come on.

Are you suggesting these should screw up their crews rotations to let a few Irish personnel on, believe it used to be like that. Have met lots of Irish folks working offshore, they just happen to be on vessels that are on contracts elsewhere.

I'll bet some Dutch folks said the same sort of thing over 40 years ago in the early days of the southern North Sea. When the place was overrun of totally unsuitable American scrap Mississippi mudboats:mad:.
    The Dutch and Norwegians responded by designing and building what for their day were revolutionary ANT's and PSV's. Vessels that would eventually evolve into these fantastic designs.
    Its an open market, the capability does not exist here. It may develop in the future, know of at least one Irish company built a few new PSV's just a couple of years ago.
    suppose it would be wishful thinking would'nt it, maybe some day when our government grow a pair of balls we may have an industry like that of the norweigans

a/tel wrote: »
    [modsnip] Ring comms in the base.....??? You will NOT be given restricted operational info over the phone and also its not the Comms job, so dont ask.

[modsnip]
    you obviously don't know sarcasm when ya read it!!!! and yes i do know what i'm talking about as i've been out enough time's when was in the slua muiri back in the day doin the dirty work that ye navy lads don't like doin!!!! well then again judging by the name your an able/tel ya would'nt know what work is on a ship sitting on your arse for the day up in comms while the seamans division does all the hard graft

you obviously don't know sarcasm when ya read it!!!! and yes i do know what i'm talking about as i've been out enough time's when was in the slua muiri back in the day doin the dirty work that ye navy lads don't like doin!!!! well then again judging by the name your an able/tel ya would'nt know what work is on a ship sitting on your arse for the day up in comms while the seamans division does all the hard graft

Warning for being uncivil and also in light of mod recommendation in post 440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is the Pearl still attached to the Kinsale field or is she getting a look in on all this activity? I wonder if Mainport are interested in a slice of the action closer to home?

The Pearl is fully occupied with the Kinsale field. Mainport's interests are firmly fixed far away and there are rumours that they may relocate their HQ from Cork. Just look and see where the majority of their fleet currently work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

in ghana there government made sure that any exploration company that wanted to take anything from there land or from there coast that 20% of the crew would be made up of locals

Thats the same in any African country,also in Australia,Canada,Brazil,Venezuela this is the same.
    But what it does is only put more pressure on the captain and crew,because they have to train them from the beginning of,and offshore vessels are not a safe place to work for any inexperienced crew.
    And from experience the language barrier makes it even worse,speaking from experience as captain,when working in Congo,where they only speak French,and Brazil where they only speak Portuguese.Not safe at all.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Here is a good example of the dangers on a AHTS vessel.
    Luckily no one got killed.

http://youtu.be/UKALBXZWipc

http://youtu.be/9yCQC0A3Fl8

http://youtu.be/7PFfQ2VRNP4

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

In the interests of keeping the peace, some posts above have been edited.

Let's not be getting snippy with each other, huh?

[/MOD]

Apologies, just annoys me when people who dont work full time in a certain place think they know it all about said industry.

Will keep it zipped.... ;)

a/tel wrote: »
    Apologies, just annoys me when people who dont work full time in a certain place think they know it all about said industry.

Will keep it zipped.... ;)
    was in slua long enough to know the in's and out's of the day to day running of the naval service hence why i joined the army instead all them years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yes Pearl is still the main standby vessel.
    A month on and a month off as far as I understand.
    I was wondering why they kept pointing the bow towards the shore at night - to pickup terrestrial TV.

009.JPG
    013.JPG
    014.JPG

Advertisement