Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Xantia wrote: »
    Yes Pearl is still the main standby vessel.
    A month on and a month off as far as I understand.
    I was wondering why they kept pointing the bow towards the shore at night - to pickup terrestrial TV.

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

They changed from 3 to 4 weeks around 2001 or so.

I was on the supplier and the supporter. Can't remember what the ariel setup was like on the supporter but on the supplier we had an ariel on a pole that moved through 180 degrees with a handle that came into one of the mess's. rte 1 & 2 had to be in a different direction to tv3, tv 3 launched while I was out there to much excitement.:)
    Pearl came when I finished up with them, not sure about the ship facing towards the coast for tv reception though, not saying that is not what happens. But my experience out there is that most of the time you are beam on to the coast heading from alpha to bravo and back, over and over and over again, prevailing winds and all that, sometimes between them north to south, but generally alpha to bravo to one side,

Nice pics by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I was on the Pearl but not by choice !
    Got 'frogged' onto it twice during the Icelandic Volcano problem.
    Not for the faint hearted... :)
    Knew a few of the guys on board so was in the wheelhouse for most of the trip to Ringaskiddy.
    2 hours after we berthed they lifted the ban on the heli.

Cant be easy being on board for a month - you would need a good hobby...

Xantia wrote: »
    I was on the Pearl but not by choice !
    Got 'frogged' onto it twice during the Icelandic Volcano problem.
    Not for the faint hearted... :)
    Knew a few of the guys on board so was in the wheelhouse for most of the trip to Ringaskiddy.
    2 hours after we berthed they lifted the ban on the heli.

Cant be easy being on board for a month - you would need a good hobby...

I was up on bravo for lunch once, was really jealous of the grub you had up there. The basket up and down With the crane takes a Little getting used to!

The 3 weeks was fine when I was out there, 4 would be fine too. It's not the hardest of standby/supply Jobs out there. You have tv and the phone and if you need to get home you were only a 4 hour steam away from cork.

I have some photos from the ship looking up, when I get back to work I will scan them and post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Here is a good example of the dangers on a AHTS vessel.
    Luckily no one got killed.

http://youtu.be/UKALBXZWipc

http://youtu.be/9yCQC0A3Fl8

http://youtu.be/7PFfQ2VRNP4

More modern anchor crankers are highly automated and when chain is coming on deck, there is no need for anyone to be anywhere nearby.

• Advertisement

Cool.
    The lunch is different now because it's unmanned most of the time.
    They carry it over from Alpha on day trips.
    Temporarily they move accommodation onto the deck and have a cook on board if needed but it's all quite now most of the time.
    And you can't go into the 'old' accommodation (Ghosts of Bravo) etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

a/tel wrote: »
    Apologies, just annoys me when people who dont work full time in a certain place think they know it all about said industry.

Will keep it zipped.... ;)
    was in slua long enough to know the in's and out's of the day to day running of the naval service hence why i joined the army instead all them years ago

No more posts on this matter. Back to What's Out There. Last word on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

265257.JPG

That sea looks gorgeous....

It can change quickly though.
    Last time I was out there it was a really nice day, dolphins annoying seagulls with their catch and so on, but the day before they had the 2nd highest waves recorded, cant remember what the height was.
    All they are short is a nice beach with a bar down the road ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

More modern anchor crankers are highly automated and when chain is coming on deck, there is no need for anyone to be anywhere nearby.

I am afraid so,cause they still need to visually check if the chain is going into the lockers properly,and that the end isn't coming over the gypsy,cause them it's bye bye chain.
    They have tried with cameras before,but they didn't last for for long.

• Advertisement

I am afraid so,cause they still need to visually check if the chain is going into the lockers properly,and that the end isn't coming over the gypsy,cause them it's bye bye chain.
    They have tried with cameras before,but they didn't last for for long.

Saw one of the more modern ones with effer crane aft, operated from bridge, camera mounted on end of jib. Recovery was a 2 man operation, nobody required on the workdeck.

clip added

Saw one of the more modern ones with effer crane aft, operated from bridge, camera mounted on end of jib. Recovery was a 2 man operation, nobody required on the workdeck.

clip added

Thanks,but no offense,I have worked on PSV/AHTS vessels for 20 years,7 as Captain.
    From the oldest to the new modern.
    And still we have to keep guys on deck,depending on where the chain lockers are placed,to keep an eye on the chain when it's going in or out.
    One reason is to see how much space it is so it doesn't get filled over the limit,second is when the end comes out,so it doesn't go overboard.
    And even on the modern vessel today,this is still needed.
    There have been test with cameras in or above the lockers,but because of vibrations and poor visibility because of the rust dust from the chain,the cameras doesn't last very long.
    It's better to have someone looking down the chain locker with a torch.
    The accident shown from YouTube should never have happened,it was a human error,a inexperienced winch driver that put full force on the chain with the winch,while it was locked in the shark jaws.
    I believe the vessel is the AHTS skandi Vega working for Statoil.

And the clip here is from Njord Viking,they are not using the lockers at all,they are taking the chain directly into the AH drum,normal procedure before braking loose anchor.espesially prelays.

Interesting vessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_FLIP

http://youtu.be/tQxQfQU_hsk

RV FLIP (FL oating I nstrument P latform) is an open ocean research vessel owned by the US Office of Naval Research and operated by the Marine Physical Laboratory of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.The ship is a 355 feet (108 meters) long vessel designed to partially flood and pitch backward 90°, resulting in only the front 55 feet (17 meters) of the vessel pointing up out of the water, with bulkheads becoming decks. When flipped, most of the buoyancy for the platform is provided by water at depths below the influence of surface waves, hence FLIP is a stable platform mostly immune to wave action, like a spar buoy. At the end of a mission, compressed air is pumped into the ballast tanks in the flooded section and the vessel returns to its horizontal position so it can be towed to a new location.The ship is frequently mistaken for a capsized ocean transport ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Queen Elizabeth moored off Dun Laoghaire this morning. It looks mighty impressive from where I'm standing.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Taken this morning in Dublin Bay.

qn2s.jpg

2w6b.jpg

2yeq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so much classier looking than that ugly one in the background too!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

The first photo in particular looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Brilliant Shots ado100, what camera / lens are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

These are great shots thanks, it's some sight in the flesh, i saw it as I drove down from killiney hill, didn't know it was in and thought Stena had gone for broke!

Jambo wrote: »

Thank you Jambo. These were shot on a Nikon D600 with a 70-200mm f2.8. I was also lucky enough to have access to a RIB to get me out there - it sure was a beautiful morning for photography.

• Advertisement

A few more from yesterday...

r9y5.jpg

f9tp.jpg

bvz1.jpg

v4ec.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jambo wrote: »

You can get an Exif Viewer plugin for your browser. That'll give you loads of info unless the data has been removed by the photo hosting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fascinating thread with some great pics. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ringaskiddy Ferryport and deep water berth 10/08/13.
    Cork Harbour 007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

484023_589405627769943_232115470_n.jpg
    Its not known much but the Spanish Fishing Fleet maintain their own hospital ship the Juan de la Cosa. They contacted Valentia Coast Guard today to be met by ambulances in Castletownbere. Two fisherman have been taken to hospital for more treatment and one to the airport for repatriation.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=589405627769943&set=a.513047368739103.110419.365726190137889&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://fastnet.rorc.org/2013-fleet-tracking.html

Fastnet Race tracker link.

Multihulls are approaching the rock fast. The rest of the fleet are being gradually spread out - it'll be a long, long race for some!

Lots of Irish boats competing, and at least eight regular competitors in the ISORA series.

Good luck to them all!!

ETA - I'm not entirely sure that link will work properly (or at all) on mobiles/tablets....

Also not entirely sure this is the right thread for it, but couldn't think of any better one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A bit further from home waters, but the saw this tweet on the excellent Rotterdam Pilots twitter feed
    @RotterdamPilots

Big ships! Tomorrow 1 million tonnes dwt in 3 megaships in #portofrotterdam : Maersk McKinney Møller, Vale Rio de Janeiro ,Ti Europe.

And here she is arriving to much fanfare.

BRyk-IrCYAAwYDP.jpg:large

I see the Berge Stahl is also alongside, gone are the days they'd get a mention too!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I seen that on the Rotterdam Pilots twitter too - some boasting point for the post considering most ports can take one of these vessels let alone 4 of them and then have plenty of room for more !

A few good photos of her already up on Marine Traffic http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9619907#top_photo

• Advertisement

Can't understand why they still call themselves Rotterdam pilots. Most of the ships they bring in never get closer than Botlek. Would be like The Harbour master in Rosslare taking credit for Dublin Port traffic.

I still get a great kick out of saying "Schaveningen radio" in a dutch accent... Are the Pilot Ships gone from the Harbour mouth now?

Advertisement