Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was sailing on Asgard 2 off the coast once when we were used for winch operations training with R116. Lucky crew member who got winched up was taken for a bit of a spin before they set him back down again. Huge skill and razor sharp precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 115 does a lot of training with the ferries going to the Aran Islands. big thrill for the tourists when they were here, lets hope it gets back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

151954638_10158871459454020_9160701336833393224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=kVPXEeltUVAAX9Um8dk&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=b42566499bbcd93d0151cd773a337e5e&oe=605A09D4

"The Irish ferries chartered ferry Mega Express Four (Dublin - Cherbourg) passing the auto carrier Schelde Highway off Wicklow head this evening.
    20.2.2021"

Shamlessly stolen from Facebook's wicklowmaritime page. Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

151954638_10158871459454020_9160701336833393224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=kVPXEeltUVAAX9Um8dk&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=7&oh=b42566499bbcd93d0151cd773a337e5e&oe=605A09D4

"The Irish ferries chartered ferry Mega Express Four (Dublin - Cherbourg) passing the auto carrier Schelde Highway off Wicklow head this evening.
    20.2.2021"

Shamlessly stolen from Facebook's wicklowmaritime page. Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.
    I saw that in Dublin Port the other day, and wondered what it was! Fairly stands out in that bright yellow coat!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I understand she's covering dry dockings of IF ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Apparently this vessel is helping filling th gaps while vessels deal with the demand from Ireland to france.

Not quite, it's on a 2 month charter to fill in while all 4 of Irish Ferries fleet are out of service in turn for dry-docking. Will mainly be on the secondary Dublin Holyhead service which does a return Cherbourg run at weekends.

Anyone know what the passenger ship showing up off the Kerry Coast for the past few days is, it's on Marine Traffic but looks like AIS is not on, perhaps one of the ones off the UK South Coast going for a run around

From a friend who has a military app the USS Iwo Jima off the Waterford Coast today with Ospreys flying around, I saw Rescue 117 in the area as well maybe taking a look. she is not showing on AIS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Stena Spey arrived off the Cork Coast during the week, as it begins removing wellheads and plugging the wells in the Ballycotton, Seven heads and Kinsale gas field.
    Working with it are a number of Anchor Handling tugs and other offshore supporters.
    Making for very busy city quays, with interesting visitors.
    There are 10 wells to seal, and that is expected to take the best part of 6 months.

ShipSpotting.com
    1859717.jpg
    © Rozenburg
    1859717.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I notice va lot ships departing from Murmansk travel down the Irish Sea,why would they not go via the English Channel ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    I notice va lot ships departing from Murmansk travel down the Irish Sea,why would they not go via the English Channel ?

Irish sea isn't as confined or congested. Ideal for larger ships with manoeuvrability issues.

Us supply ship currently heading up the middle of the Irish sea

Danish Frigate alongside crude oil tank off rosslare, probably training ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

2 Belgian fishing trawlers tied up in Dun Laoghaire unloading catches from the far side of the Irish sea. British registered trawler also showing up on marine traffic

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/50182-dun-laoghaire-harbour-proves-to-be-a-good-catch-for-belgian-fishing-fleet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Frenchie doing what Frenchie does best and causing trouble and protesting. A sizeable fleet blockading the main port of Jersey in the Channel Islands. Two RN ships loitering close by watching it all happen.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.106/centery:49.155/zoom:12

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Frenchie doing what Frenchie does best and causing trouble and protesting. A sizeable fleet blockading the main port of Jersey in the Channel Islands. Two RN ships loitering close by watching it all happen.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.106/centery:49.155/zoom:12

The Jersey Govt have much to answer for in this apparently,(just Jersey, not Guernsey or the rest of the UK).
    French licences were altered without discussion or notice so French fishermen have in some cases had the licence restricted to just 11 hours fishing in Jersey waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The channel islands get their electricity from France I believe. They would soon soften their cough with a few days in the dark and no Internet.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The channel islands get their electricity from France I believe. They would soon soften their cough with a few days in the dark and no Internet.

It would also put any negotiations on inter-connectors from France with other states in jeopardy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wonder what sea state and wind they can operate in?

Did you see the size of the ladder he flung over not a hope going up that in bad weather why did he not land on a lower deck it, the guy going up had some difficulty getting his boots onto the ladder .

Maersk Peary on "military operations" off Wexford, designed for polar regions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Assigned to US Military Sealift Command.

Could be on its way to or from supporting Exercise Strike Warrior which is currently active off Scotland and involves up to 40 vessels operating as two Forces to test the readiness of the HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier group.

USS George W Bush was off the Aran Islands on Friday one of her Seahawks flew over Galway from Baldonnell and there was one in Shannon.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    USS George W Bush was off the Aran Islands on Friday one of her Seahawks flew over Galway from Baldonnell and there was one in Shannon.

One of our AW139 took a trip out for a look also.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    One of our AW139 took a trip out for a look also.

Nice one I guess there would have been a lot of hands up to fly that one I presume they would have landed on her which would have been something to be able to say, now that you mentioned that a friend told me that two helicopters passed over Galway heading West so that must have been the Seahawk and the AW139.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,801 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

I saw that ok but I heard that it was a carrier group the Destroyer would have been part of it there was certainly a Seahawk in Baldonnell and Shannon normally US Carriers have Destroyers for protection.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40295198.html

2471678_13_articleinline_EPX_3943_20Deep_20Discoverer_20Dive_20Support_20Vessel_1_.jpg

Deep Discoverer took shelter at Marino Point during the week, away from the unseasonable conditions.

Advertisement