Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Right handy , cattle back in for few days with herd test so tagged them Saturday morning and ready for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I think 16 months old they had to be to qualify , I could be wrong in that ,

They do have to be at least 16 months old in October to qualify for the 50% but i think Welding Rod is short one animal to tag and get genotyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 salmonorcod

You can genotype a bull if your short on heifers to do. It's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You know for the extension to this scheme, and if you always had a bull, can you change to all ai for this breeding year and not have a bull at all?

You know for the extension to this scheme, and if you always had a bull, can you change to all ai for this breeding year and not have a bull at all?

You can as long as at least 80% of the resulting calves are off BDGP qualifying bulls. Probably as well to use all BDGP qualifying Bulls just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The tags arrived Thursday. Got to tag the 8 animals I had to do. Great to have it done before cattle go out to grass, even though it will be a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sent my tags in on 23 March 2021. I still haven't got confirmation that they got them yet. They normally send a text, don't they?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I sent my tags in on 23 March 2021. I still haven't got confirmation that they got them yet. They normally send a text, don't they?

You can see on icbf if they have them afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    You can see on icbf if they have them afaik

Ya, you're right. I checked again there. You can see under 'View Genotype details' under /services/BD&GP/ .

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

What date are the tags due back by?

Tagged around 20 and sent them in but need to do the rest at the weekend.

Got the tags a little over 3 weeks ago

• Advertisement

What date are the tags due back by?

Tagged around 20 and sent them in but need to do the rest at the weekend.

Got the tags a little over 3 weeks ago

They're supposed to be returned within 28 days of receiving them.
    I don't know of anyone getting in trouble for being late with them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

How long does it take to get results,cant remember previous years??

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

When did the date for self selection close? I got a letter from ICBF saying they had deferred selection for me over a month ago. I just logged on there to see who I could pick from and they have already selected them. Tags are in print.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    When did the date for self selection close? I got a letter from ICBF saying they had deferred selection for me over a month ago. I just logged on there to see who I could pick from and they have already selected them. Tags are in print.

Only guessing but i think i remember seeing April 10th somewhere.
    You could be waiting a coupe of weeks for the tags now.
    Did you want to have your selection deferred, it really drags the thing out and you won't have them done while they're in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Yeah the early calves were almost all bulls so the letter said that selection would be deferred to allow for more heifer calves to be born. I didn’t mind waiting - I’d do them the day we were weighing or something. Anyway they have chosen a dry cow that will be culled during the summer, a bull calf that will be sold during the summer and the rest are heifer calves. What harm I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Quick question that someone might be able to help me out with.
    Is OK to put a genomics tag on a heifer say today and sell her tomorrow?
    I meant to change the self selection but the tags have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

I think you have to keep the tagged animals in the herd for six weeks.

pure breed wrote: »

As far as i know there’s no problem doing that.
    Don’t remember ever seeing anything in the t’s and c’s about having to keep them after tagging.

In the unlikely event the tag was empty you’d have to take a hair sample from another animal in your herd.

amens wrote: »
    I think you have to keep the tagged animals in the herd for six weeks.

When you finalize your tag selection and your tags are ordered you have to keep the animals for tagging for six weeks so that you still have them when the tags arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

tanko wrote:
    When you finalize your tag selection and your tags are ordered you have to keep the animals for tagging for six weeks so that you still have them when the tags arrive.

That's what I was thinking as well Tanko. Thks

• Advertisement

pure breed wrote: »
    sell away i did it a few yrs ago and no issue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Cows bulling 2 weeks after calving do ye ai them and do they hold

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

tanko wrote: »

No you don't. I have sold some before the tags come and all you do is ring up and they send hair samples for other in your herd. Never had any trouble or ever been told I was wrong in selling. This is why ppl are giving out about scheme's. Misinformation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

K.G. wrote: »
    Cows bulling 2 weeks after calving do ye ai them and do they hold
    yes I wouldnt use an expensive straw though

valtra2 wrote: »
    No you don't. I have sold some before the tags come and all you do is ring up and they send hair samples for other in your herd. Never had any trouble or ever been told I was wrong in selling. This is why ppl are giving out about scheme's. Misinformation

When you order the tags you have to be prepared to keep the calves for tagging for six weeks, the tags usually arrive sooner but not always.
    Not everyone has spare calves lying about the place for taking hair samples off if they sell calves they said they going to tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Another question if ye don’t mind. If you had a bull if the scheme all along but have no bull now, can you use ai for this years scheme or would you have to get a bull for The June 30tg deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Another question if ye don’t mind. If you had a bull if the scheme all along but have no bull now, can you use ai for this years scheme or would you have to get a bull for The June 30tg deadline?

AFAIK it’s 4/5star bull or 80% of your AI to be 4/5 star. So I don’t see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Similar problem here,

ive calves to calve next November.

Cows were finished being bulled mid February.

I sold the bull end of February.

I have to ring and see is there any Lee way on not haveing a bull in herd on June 30 th.

Don't really want a bull lying about all Summer doing nothing but may have to go down that route if there is no Lee way, this year with it being the roll over year.

Pity to have to keep a bull about on June 30th if all being bulled a 6 months earlier.

I know it was the conditions of the scheme so it's not their fault, and I'll acccept if they make me buy a bull.

AFAIK it’s 4/5star bull or 80% of your AI to be 4/5 star. So I don’t see a problem.
    Thats the way I read it too

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Similar problem here,

ive calves to calve next November.

Cows were finished being bulled mid February.

I sold the bull end of February.

I have to ring and see is there any Lee way on not haveing a bull in herd on June 30 th.

Don't really want a bull lying about all Summer doing nothing but may have to go down that route if there is no Lee way, this year with it being the roll over year.

Pity to have to keep a bull about on June 30th if all being bulled a 6 months earlier.

I know it was the conditions of the scheme so it's not their fault, and I'll acccept if they make me buy a bull.

If you had genotyped one of your 4/5 star weanlings from last year and kept him until July would that satisfy the bull requirement?

Advertisement