Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    If you had genotyped one of your 4/5 star weanlings from last year and kept him until July would that satisfy the bull requirement?
    afaik yes he doesn’t have to be pure bred

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    afaik yes he doesn’t have to be pure bred

Do calves sired by him have to be born in the herd for him to be a qualifying bull tho?

No I think so long as he’s 12 mts he qualifies, had a young bull 2 yrs ago and they said if he was tested and 12 mts he qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If you had genotyped one of your 4/5 star weanlings from last year and kept him until July would that satisfy the bull requirement?

Interesting thought, must check that out. Thanks tanko.

So, is the the bdgp online website through icbf not being updated like the previous 5 years, for this rollover year?

Very little details on it about reference numbers and such, although I suppose its only now, soon, that our selected tagged animals from the spring time will be showing up stars.

Tho no word online, about expected dates for when stars will be announced.

Even the info that used to be sent in the post is non existened for me personally this year.

The previous 5 years years, there was documentation in the post with info, and reminders for stock bulls and other deadlines, every few weeks.

Only 30 days left to have a bull in your herd, and this isnt being put out as a reminder to farmers.

This year seems to be nothing.

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Interesting thought, must check that out. Thanks tanko.

Surely the bull needs to be a purebred?

Where can you see a break down of what each of the indices mean like carcass weight etc?

If keeping your own replacements could rent in a quality angus to run with heifers to cover the star requirement, I thought you only needed a 5 star bull last summer and if your bull was 5 star within the breed or across breeds at any stage over the period you were covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Anyone else here who was denied entry to this years scheme?
    I was locked up with TB last year and was unable to buy the 2 heifers I required to have sufficient number of 4 or 5 star females as of 31st October last year. I’ve written to the department , emailed them and rang them on numerous occasions and keep getting nowhere with them. Apparently a supervisor will look at it but this is going on since the start of January.
    I also haven’t been paid for last year

Surely the bull needs to be a purebred?

Where can you see a break down of what each of the indices mean like carcass weight etc?

If keeping your own replacements could rent in a quality angus to run with heifers to cover the star requirement, I thought you only needed a 5 star bull last summer and if your bull was 5 star within the breed or across breeds at any stage over the period you were covered?

I havent noticed it wrote that he needs to be purebred, only, that he is genotyped, and 4 star minimum.

Breakdown on indices, - does typing a bulls tag number into icbf not bring up your info?

Possibly can rent alright, will research it this week.
    No, as far as I know, the bull is needed in the herd on 30 June, same as the previous 5 years.

Breakdown on indices, - does typing a bulls tag number into icbf not bring up your info?

It does but what does each value mean, like what does carcass weight of 22 kg mean etc

We have 2 bulls a limo and angus. limo is no longer 4 or 5 stars but he still qualifies for the scheme as he was 4 or 5 stars during the programme. Says in the site both qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Have a bull with a 3 star rating for maternal, 5 star rating on the terminal index.
    Will he qualify for the scheme can anyone tell me?

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    Have a bull with a 3 star rating for maternal, 5 star rating on the terminal index.
    Yes, can qualify on either index across the breed or within the breed

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Yes, can qualify on either index across the breed or within the breed

Lovely, Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I havent noticed it wrote that he needs to be purebred, only, that he is genotyped, and 4 star minimum.

That’s true the bull doesn’t need to be PB just needs the stars, strange when we’ve purebred bulls without stars producing good quality calves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

When do genotyped cattle appear for the scheme?
    I’ve a heifer genotyped March/April- the message says genotype available but not included so she’s currently isn’t counted for the scheme.

I’ll need to buy another 4/5 star also. When do ye think sales will come happen for genotyped animals?

I’ve a heifer genotyped March/April- the message says genotype available but not included so she’s currently isn’t counted for the scheme.

I’ll need to buy another 4/5 star also. When do ye think sales will come happen for genotyped animals?

I donk know. I asked the same question last week, the whole thing is very lacksy daisy this year with information.

There is 4 and 5 stars going through the Marts everyday of the week. Icbf havent put up the mart catalogue like they did last October, so your going to have to use your own eyes or have a dealer on the lookout.

what are u looking for,a cow or a heifer ?

what are u looking for,a cow or a heifer ?

I don’t mind really. I’ve to wait until after June to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

RD10 wrote: »

Yes

When can we expect results of samples submitted in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Is there a deadline this October again or is it Oct 2022?

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Is there a deadline this October again or is it Oct 2022?

Yes same dates as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

When can we expect results of samples submitted in March?

I assume they’ll be included in the July run of updates.

I assume they’ll be included in the July run of updates.

There was eligibility reports other years in February, April and June, things very slow this year.

There was eligibility reports other years in February, April and June, things very slow this year.

I got the June eligibility report but a heifer genotyped this year not included yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was had a cow and calf in the mart today. On icbf her replacement index is 160 but board in mart showed it as alot less

Any of yous that has no bull and is doing Ai in this scheme, how or when do you produce dockets to show the sheme you've used Ai, or how do they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

Any of yous that has no bull and is doing Ai in this scheme, how or when do you produce dockets to show the sheme you've used Ai, or how do they know?

Genotyping shows the sirs in any case.

I am a member of herdplus through the icbf which is linked into the scheme.

893bet wrote: »
    Genotyping shows the sirs in any case.

I am a member of herdplus through the icbf which is linked into the scheme.

Yea, herd plus has you covered no doubt.

I know they check agfood to make sure bull is in herd on June 30 th.

Thanks for your info anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

Our AI man here has a handheld that feeds the serves all back to ICBF automatically. I would assume that will cover it.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Our AI man here has a handheld that feeds the serves all back to ICBF automatically. I would assume that will cover it.

Aw that must be the way so. Thanks lad

Advertisement