Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

ICBF have access to your herd profile on Agfood.ie, and the Ai handheld computers as Grueller says.
    For DIY Ai and stock bulls they just take your word for what bulls are used, genotyping will tell the tale anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

tanko wrote: »
    ICBF have access to your herd profile on Agfood.ie, and the Ai handheld computers as Grueller says.
    For DIY Ai and stock bulls they just take your word for what bulls are used, genotyping will tell the tale anyway.

There is some small time AI men around here, they might not have the handheld computer.
    But in any case I found out, as I forgot, that the code has to be registered with the birth certificate so that it the other way its seen.

And I hadn't my samples sent away in time for the June evaluation, so I've to wait till July 27th I think it is, at 2 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Jb1989 wrote: »
    There is some small time AI men around here, they might not have the handheld computer.
    But in any case I found out, as I forgot, that the code has to be registered with the birth certificate so that it the other way its seen.

And I hadn't my samples sent away in time for the June evaluation, so I've to wait till July 27th I think it is, at 2 pm.

If you go in to ICBF then check "Record Events" there is a Heat /AI tab and if you look there it shows when cows are AI'ed. I had one the AI man was with on Monday and it's showing up there this evening.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    If you go in to ICBF then check "Record Events" there is a Heat /AI tab and if you look there it shows when cows are AI'ed. I had one the AI man was with on Monday and it's showing up there this evening.

Will check that out, thanks anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

How soon after sending off the Genomics tags should you see something on ICBF. Sent off over 2 weeks here and it's saying tags requested on ICBF. Thanks.

• Advertisement

pure breed wrote: »
    How soon after sending off the Genomics tags should you see something on ICBF. Sent off over 2 weeks here and it's saying tags requested on ICBF. Thanks.

If you look under services then BDGP then view genotype details it should say sample in lab at least.

A week after the lab got my samples it said sire and dam verified for half the samples and a month later for the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I got a text a few days after I sent them to say they were received...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

made an F up here, bull I bought is still pending genomics results, currently he's well inside the criteria and ICBF said that once he shows up as 4 star in the Jul to Oct proofs the dept said its fine
    Sample sent in since April.

Do I hold tough and bet on him being ok or do I need to get a fella for the 30th of June

Dozer1 wrote: »
    made an F up here, bull I bought is still pending genomics results, currently he's well inside the criteria and ICBF said that once he shows up as 4 star in the Jul to Oct proofs the dept said its fine

Do I hold tough and bet on him being ok or do I need to get a fella for the 30th of June

He can be 4 or 5 within the breed as well.

One of ours was last 4 star in early 2020 and still qualifies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

From ICBF website today

30th June 2021 is the date by which BDGP herds using a stock bull must have an eligible bull in the herd. An eligible bull must be:

at least 12 months old on 30th June 2021
    4 or 5 stars on first genomic evaluation or genomic evaluation at the time of purchase.
    If purchasing a stock bull in the coming weeks, ensure that the bull has a genomic evaluation and is 4 or 5 stars on the Replacement and/or Terminal Index. Bulls that receive a genomic evaluation after 30th June may still be eligible provided they are 4 or 5 stars once the genomic evaluation is published. This is risky, particularly where a bull is close to the 3-4 star cut-off, as the bull might drop to 3 stars on it’s first genomic evaluation and therefore be ineligible. The November 2021 evaluation is the last one on which a bull can qualify. The final date to return samples for this evaluation is 1st September.

Other benefits of a genomic evaluation

Genotyping significantly increases the reliability figures for a young bull as well as confirming parentage and identifying any genetic defects. A tissue tag in the animal’s ear does not mean it has a genomic evaluation. If purchasing a bull at a sale, look for the DNA symbol on the upper right of the catalogue page with the words “Genomic Evaluation” (Figure 1). If purchasing a bull privately, search for the bull’s Euro-Star index on the ICBF Animal Search. If the bull has a genomic evaluation, you will see green text saying “Note: Genotype included in evaluation” (Figure 2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Heres one for ye folks.Got 2 pb's Ai'd 5 weeks ago a first and 2nd calver i put loyal in the 1st timer and hamlet on the other or at least that was the plan.When I checked icbf it seems they were registered the other way around.What are my options apart from waiting until they calve and genotypy the calves,and if they are wrong what are the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

High bike wrote: »
    Heres one for ye folks.Got 2 pb's Ai'd 5 weeks ago a first and 2nd calver i put loyal in the 1st timer and hamlet on the other or at least that was the plan.When I checked icbf it seems they were registered the other way around.What are my options apart from waiting until they calve and genotypy the calves,and if they are wrong what are the consequences

I had similar a few years ago.....2 pbr bulls and I got the sires mixed up. Genotyping picked it up, corrected it and got society to reissue 2 new certs. A bit of hassle is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I had similar a few years ago.....2 pbr bulls and I got the sires mixed up. Genotyping picked it up, corrected it and got society to reissue 2 new certs. A bit of hassle is all.
    The way I see it i have no choice but fo with what the AI man has registered eventhough its wrong and let the dna sample sort it out as u say.I was just worried the Limo society might think there was something fishy going on

High bike wrote: »
    The way I see it i have no choice but fo with what the AI man has registered eventhough its wrong and let the dna sample sort it out as u say.I was just worried the Limo society might think there was something fishy going on

I wouldn’t agree with this.
    I’d register them to the right bulls.
    You could always contact the society and Icbf and see what they say i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

In a similar situation, I bought a Bull in May, all the stars in the world but got the letter out yesterday telling me he wasn't Genotyped. So without the Genotyping done he might as well have no stars as they mean nothing without it.
    Got onto ICBF straight away, the only option for me is to send off the dna sample myself. I paid up and a hair sampling card is in the post. I was told not to delay returning the sample the Dept would allow a few weeks past the deadline but not much beyond it to get the bull Genotyped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

In a similar situation, I bought a Bull in May, all the stars in the world but got the letter out yesterday telling me he wasn't Genotyped. So without the Genotyping done he might as well have no stars as they mean nothing without it.
    Got onto ICBF straight away, the only option for me is to send off the dna sample myself. I paid up and a hair sampling card is in the post. I was told not to delay returning the sample the Dept would allow a few weeks past the deadline but not much beyond it to get the bull Genotyped

good news is you have a few weeks still... below from ICBF own website

If purchasing a stock bull in the coming weeks, ensure that the bull has a genomic evaluation and is 4 or 5 stars on the Replacement and/or Terminal Index. Bulls that receive a genomic evaluation after 30th June may still be eligible provided they are 4 or 5 stars once the genomic evaluation is published. This is risky, particularly where a bull is close to the 3-4 star cut-off, as the bull might drop to 3 stars on it’s first genomic evaluation and therefore be ineligible. The November 2021 evaluation is the last one on which a bull can qualify. The final date to return samples for this evaluation is 1st September.

Got the report in yesterdays post, but it isn't up on line yet (dated 05 June) all the cows have the same index value as they had on the report issued last October which I find strange as they usually go down a little bit every time.
    The good news is an in-calf heifer I bought but has no little tag in her ear has an index value from March 2021 of €130 so happy with that. If she would go now and calf I would be even happier as I bought her at the start of May due to calf in a month - 6 weeks... she has 8 days to get in for the BEEP money...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Got the report in yesterdays post, but it isn't up on line yet (dated 05 June) all the cows have the same index value as they had on the report issued last October which I find strange as they usually go down a little bit every time.
    The good news is an in-calf heifer I bought but has no little tag in her ear has an index value from March 2021 of €130 so happy with that. If she would go now and calf I would be even happier as I bought her at the start of May due to calf in a month - 6 weeks... she has 8 days to get in for the BEEP money...

You could always back date the calf a few days if you were stuck :-)

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    You could always back date the calf a few days if you were stuck :-)
    That's opposite to what a lot of lads seem to be doing.... especially this year trying to stay under for the beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A neighbour (in the scheme) is looking at a AAx cow with calf at foot that I have. She showed as 5 star when I bought her in the mart last Spring but not BDGP eligible. If he buys her will she cover for a cow that he lost iykwim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

No if she didn't then because she is more than likely not genotyped or is possibly born pre 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ring icbf, give them the tag number and they will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

my reference number is 11 and only have 10 4 or 5 star cows at the moment.

is the penalty big for this situation?

I read in the t&c’s that it is a percentage penalty but what the percent is I don’t know

Do you mean reference number of stars needed?

You need 60 percent of suitable females of your original overall reference numbers which would be 6 cows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

No sorry my reference number is 22 but I’ve only 10 cows eligible now so wondering what the penalty would be

Thought it was 60 last October. Your right anyway grueller.

Thought that was the case alright,

I'll not give an opinion on penalty as I'm not sure.

You've 3 weeks left to pick up some beef heifer or suckler if the fine is too much.

I’ll have to do more digging to find out about the penalty. Prices out them heifers are so dear Now I might be as well on take it penalty

• Advertisement

140 percent fine for female requirement was possible last year, and that might have been all 5 years or else just one year,

You may ring the helpline Monday morning if you don't get a valid answer here.

Advertisement