Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Bit mad for them to single out Donegal. Non compliance is going on everywhere.

I suspect Donegal people will just get annoyed about being singled out and will ignore any advice.

A bit petty from Tony and Ronan.

Just to add to this. I posted last month why weren't they opening up walk in test centres in Donegal like there were in other hot spots around the country. They had locations in top 10 and were ignored from that. Other rural counties had them so that excuse didn't last long either.

They finally added one in letterkenny on Saturday I believe. Had a positivity rate of around 10%. The failure to open up those walk in test centres in Donegal sooner hasn't helped the situation as it would have broken at least some chains of transmission further down the line. Other locations in a similar position benefited from that whilst Donegal didn't. That's not why Donegal is higher, I'm just saying it would have been lower now that it is if they hadn't ignored them.

Also, I thought they half hinted at Donegal would remain with more restrictions if they didn't get it together fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Yes

There's still no capacity added to the testing capabilities beyond 20k a day

Meanwhile the UAE are testing an average of 200,000 a day on a population of nearly 10 million

A year into this and the testing capacity in Ireland still hasn't been added to properly and yet vaccines and testing are the way out of this

Fcuking joke tbh

Testing capacity beyond 20k a day is the next big thing the "government" should be tackling

Daily capacity is around 28 to 29 thousand. More with the help of that German lab if needed. So we do have enough capacity to meet demand.

We're doing around 500,000 tests a month at the moment.

How is that a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yet close contacts remain static.

I have no doubt many people were out drinking last weekend, but the scale which you describe I think is inaccurate.

If it was anything like you’re saying then we wouldn’t have close contacts remaining low like they have been.

We’ve heard for weeks here about these widespread breaking of restrictions when it’s simply not the case. If it’s even suggested that it’s not the case then people are laughed at.

Seriously, can we not park all of this?

Maybe im just unlucky then. Have been in howth, malahide, st annes, clontarf, portmarnock, up in artane over last few weeks.
    Crowds everywhere in groups sitting drinking for hours.
    There was an hour long queue for the pub in howth last sat evening. The centra nearby sold out of beer, the other pubs stopped delivering due to serving the crowd collecting.
    As Simon Coveney said yesterday, they were losing the public so fair play to all who put pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭boardise

Was up in my hometown, Donegal Town and I was surprised to see how compliant people were compared to Dublin. All the businesses were very careful. A lot of people wearing masks outdoor walking too. I met with a couple of friends on the diamond to go for a walk and I felt people were staring at us. Also people moved well out of your way as you walked past them, although they did that before Covid:pac:

That accords with the LEA stats - Donegal LEA way below the national
    14 day/100k average whereas Milford LEA = about 5 1/2 times and
    Letterkenny= 5 times the national average.....the top two worst in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They lockdown Kildare and Dublin last year with stricter restrictions so why not Donegal now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They lockdown Kildare and Dublin last year with stricter restrictions so why not Donegal now ?

The group of people where 95% of deaths occured have been vaccinated, a lockdown in a specific area is pointless at this stage, with the vaccines we are in a much differenct place now than we were last year. Think of it is as a plus that those who get it and recover are immune for 6 months.

The group of people where 95% of deaths occured have been vaccinated, a lockdown in a specific area is pointless at this stage, with the vaccines we are in a much differenct place now than we were last year. Think of it is as a plus that those who get it and recover are immune for 6 months.
    Cohort 4 and 7 are not even close to be vaccinated . Something has to be done in Donegal to stop this spread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The only logical thing is to give Donegal to the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Something has to be done in Donegal to stop this spread

Do dead people spread covid? Can you see where I am going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭blade1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The parents should be punished as well as the children

€500 fine I think.
    Still cases popping up over this.

• Advertisement

Do dead people spread covid? Can you see where I am going with this?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

TheDoctor wrote: »
    The only logical thing is to give Donegal to the north

Or, eh... stop me if this isn't THE most original joke ever made... we could maybe build a wall round aul Donegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Daily capacity is around 28 to 29 thousand. More with the help of that German lab if needed. So we do have enough capacity to meet demand.

We're doing around 500,000 tests a month at the moment.

How is that a joke.

Why does 19,000 - 22,000 a day only seem to show up on the Data Hub?

It's never pressed past this

500,000 a month versus over 6 million a month in the UAE?

Point being, they've had a year to really ramp up the testing capabilities. We shouldn't need Germany

Testing is a massive part of getting out of this and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to test 50k a day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Or, eh... stop me if this isn't THE most original joke ever made... we could maybe build a wall round aul Donegal?

Donegal is North already. Maybe NI could do the vaccinations there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

robbiezero wrote: »
    Maybe im just unlucky then. Have been in howth, malahide, st annes, clontarf, portmarnock, up in artane over last few weeks.
    There was an hour long queue for the pub in howth last sat evening. The centra nearby sold out of beer, the other pubs stopped delivering due to serving the crowd collecting.
    As Simon Coveney said yesterday, they were losing the public so fair play to all who put pressure on them.

Fair play ?

Case numbers in North Dublin are the highest in the city .

At this rate we will need vaccine passports to go shopping in Grafton Street !

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

robbiezero wrote: »

How many in those groups live in the same house?

How many in those groups are exceeding their county/20k limits?

Truth be told you haven’t a clue. You just say ‘hundreds of thousands of people are breaking restrictions’ because you saw a few crowds in busy areas when in fact it’s just as likely that very few of them are.

Can you provide proof they’re all breaking restrictions or is it yet hyperbole nonsense as per?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Fair play ?

Case numbers in North Dublin are the highest in the city .

At this rate we will need vaccine passports to go shopping in Grafton Street !

Friend in Berlin was telling me to go into a clothes shop they have to first go to a chemist and get a test and show the test result at the door . No so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Friend in Berlin was telling me to go into a clothes shop they have to first go to a chemist and get a test and show the test result at the door . No so !!

Jayse, it's like " 1984 " !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Bit mad for them to single out Donegal. Non compliance is going on everywhere.

I suspect Donegal people will just get annoyed about being singled out and will ignore any advice.

A bit petty from Tony and Ronan.

Is it petty to point out that Donegal has consistently been an area with high transmission? It’s a rural county. How can Kerry etc have low numbers but Donegal tends to have high numbers. There is something going on in Donegal that isn’t happening in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭saabsaab

mohawk wrote: »
    Is it petty to point out that Donegal has consistently been an area with high transmission? It’s a rural county. How can Kerry etc have low numbers but Donegal tends to have high numbers. There is something going on in Donegal that isn’t happening in other places.

Donegal has never been big on rules and regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Faugheen wrote: »
    How many in those groups live in the same house?

How many in those groups are exceeding their county/20k limits?

Truth be told you haven’t a clue. You just say ‘hundreds of thousands of people are breaking restrictions’ because you saw a few crowds in busy areas when in fact it’s just as likely that very few of them are.

Can you provide proof they’re all breaking restrictions or is it yet hyperbole nonsense as per?

You're away with the fairies if you think hundreds of groups of 6+ in any area are all single households, is that what the video from the twitcher in salthill looked like?

As for obeying county limits, maybe some are, but id say very few. Looked almost a normal friday bank holiday traffic on the dublin cork motorway on our way to tipp this evening, but no doubt it was all people travelling within their own county.

As Coveney said yesterday, they were losing the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Some seriously crap people have become famous due to corona. Berenson on one side and the other Eric.....

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1388191938529144832

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Point being, they've had a year to really ramp up the testing capabilities. We shouldn't need Germany

Testing is a massive part of getting out of this and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to test 50k a day

It's because people don't want to be randomly tested for no reason, we don't have enough people to test to do 30k+ a day.

There's no delay in getting a test, and we have walk-in testing for people who want to get a test just to be sure. Yet we still can't hit capacity.

The only way we'd get to UAE levels is if we force people to get tested on a regular basis. That's not going to happen and is completely overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rip-ie-analysis-finds-excess-mortality-of-2-300-in-first-11-months-of-pandemic-1.4552586

So the death toll of "with Covid" in the thread title is 4,903.

The RIP.ie excess death figure for the first 11 months of all this is less than half that figure.

That's a staggering difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

saabsaab wrote: »
    and rightly so...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rip-ie-analysis-finds-excess-mortality-of-2-300-in-first-11-months-of-pandemic-1.4552586

So the death toll of "with Covid" in the thread title is 4,903.

The RIP.ie excess death figure for the first 11 months of all this is less than half that figure.

That's a staggering difference.

It’s expected surely? The virus hits the eldest hardest. I don’t think anyone is denying that the most frail will succumb first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

saabsaab wrote: »

Totally agree

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/dangerous-driving-in-donegal-it-is-a-long-standing-culture-1.3569240

Dangerous driving in Donegal: ‘It is a long-standing culture’

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/finance/farmers-amongst-worst-tax-defaulters-in-the-country-revenue-figures-show-36520668.html

“Donegal has the highest rate of tax defaulters in Ireland over the past five years.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Probes wrote: »
    It’s expected surely? The virus hits the eldest hardest. I don’t think anyone is denying that the most frail will succumb first.

Did you even bother to read my post? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Going from nothing to to over 100,000 a week is ramping up.

We don't need a capacity of 50 thousand a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did you even bother to read my post? :confused:

I have to admit I'm too not sure what point you are making.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement