Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

neris wrote: »
    One of the bolts on a jammer rusted and got onto a newish paint job.

Remember/put on your list to change the bolt! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fergal.b wrote: »
    Some boat owners might not be happy to see a small boat taking up a mooring spot so except it to be moved around if they need the space

and what if it's chained up & padlocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/superyacht-pulled-through-netherlands-canals/index.html

Perhaps the Master of the Ever Given might take some lessons from this operation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

fryup wrote: »

It might get used as a fender (I've seen that done too).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

Any word on when racing is due to start again in Dublin Bay given this evening's announcements? I've had a browse on Afloat and dbsc.ie and social media but can't seem to get much information though to be fair it's early days.

I am not Dublin based so a bit out of the loop, any intel gratefully received :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nothing official yet. Discussion in a watsapp group for one class i sail in and they're saying week of June 7th for racing. If that's the case Lambay races will be off, D2D Which is on 9th & possibly Soverigns in cork
    Van Doozy wrote: »
    Any word on when racing is due to start again in Dublin Bay given this evening's announcements? I've had a browse on Afloat and dbsc.ie and social media but can't seem to get much information though to be fair it's early days.

I am not Dublin based so a bit out of the loop, any intel gratefully received :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A mate shared this in a WhatsApp group….

An update from Irish Sailing: training can resume on May 15th and racing can start on June 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

fryup wrote: »

You should not leave any boat on a public mooring over the allotted time. These berths are there to encourage tourism in the area, not for people to use as their private moorings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A mate shared this in a WhatsApp group….

An update from Irish Sailing: training can resume on May 15th and racing can start on June 7th.
    I got the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

JamesM wrote: »
    You should not leave any boat on a public mooring over the allotted time. These berths are there to encourage tourism in the area, not for people to use as their private moorings.

It mustn't be too rigorously enforced though is it?

I was on a boat on the Shannon last summer and one of the marinas (Think it was Terryglass) had a big long barges taking up LOADS of space that looked like they were there permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is the price of boating stuff shooting up through the roof enormously?

Was quoted 4k for retubing my rib a few years ago. Same lad is after jumping to 6.5 now

I'm almost certain as well that this engine was about a grand cheaper last year

See afloat are saying that Dun Laoghaire regatta is cancelled for this year.

They could've let us hope/dream for another little while :(

Jeez - only entered the Dun Laoghaire regatta last week, and given all the positive news, i was sure it was going to go ahead. That’s a major disappointment. Looks like we can resume racing on June 7th, so I wonder why the plug was pulled on the DunLaoghaire regatta so soon?

Major Dad wrote: »
    Looks like we can resume racing on June 7th, so I wonder why the plug was pulled on the DunLaoghaire regatta so soon?

Looking at how the numbers have been increasing the last few days, I think it’s highly optimistic to think that any form of racing will resume in June.

Id say social side and uk visitors scuppered it. Im sure the bar take is a big earner for all the club's and would be seriously reduced this year and unviable. Plus who really wants to go to a drinking event with no drinking :D
    Major Dad wrote: »
    Jeez - only entered the Dun Laoghaire regatta last week, and given all the positive news, i was sure it was going to go ahead. That’s a major disappointment. Looks like we can resume racing on June 7th, so I wonder why the plug was pulled on the DunLaoghaire regatta so soon?

Sovereigns is going ahead with its 50 boat limit. Be interesting to see how they deal with the social side

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/sovereigns-cup/item/50188-green-light-for-june-s-o-leary-insurance-sovereign-s-cup-regatta

Sovereigns is going ahead with its 50 boat limit. Be interesting to see how they deal with the social side

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/sovereigns-cup/item/50188-green-light-for-june-s-o-leary-insurance-sovereign-s-cup-regatta

It’ll all be considered outdoor won’t it? Even if they have marquee’s up…. Just take down the sides, and it’ll probably quality as outdoor..

It’ll all be considered outdoor won’t it? Even if they have marquee’s up…. Just take down the sides, and it’ll probably quality as outdoor..

Be outdoors but I reckon it,ll be seating at tables, no standing around, no mingling, no mixing of crews. Scottish series is on soon and they are having no social gatherings, no race office or land base and boats are just there to race and go home.

boats are just there to race and go home.

Zero craic then……

• Advertisement

Zero craic then……

pretty much and alot of clubs rely on the income from bar sales to keep them going aswell.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-long-island-schull-co-cork/3214839

For all the Calves Week veterans, with memories of charging (or floating) up and down Long Island Sound, and scraping the rocks in the channel at the Goat Island end.....

Be a great place to spectate from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

For all the Calves Week veterans, with memories of charging (or floating) up and down Long Island Sound, and scraping the rocks in the channel at the Goat Island end.....

Expensive site, but lovely location.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Love Schull!

Hopefully get to see sights like this again soon on the delivery!!

Vl9U1Y6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

rje66 wrote: »
    Expensive site, but lovely location.

Hmm. Agreed it is totally overpriced, but the location is not great - no privacy, overlooked, a road going past the front door to a busy ferry pier. Probably would have issues with drainage for a septic tank/biomass unit. Serious issues with acceptance of design for a replacement house, permission to demolish, etc.....the list goes on. Dreamers, lots of better (including floating!) stuff out there!

Anyone got any clarity on whether non-Howth boats will be allowed to race in the Lambay race on June 12th ?
    The headline on Winkie’s article below suggest it might be limited to Howth boats?
    Cheers
    https://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/howth-yacht-club/item/50271-howth-s-time-honoured-lambay-race-to-be-staged-as-club-only-event-on-saturday-june-12th?mc_cid=1aa05e3fec&mc_eid=37ce546afa

Club haven't clarified to members what the plan is yet. Id say if it goes ahead it'll be club only they won't want visitors in the club and with the season getting back underway can't see much interest from boats across the bay to come over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Club haven't clarified to members what the plan is yet. Id say if it goes ahead it'll be club only they won't want visitors in the club and with the season getting back underway can't see much interest from boats across the bay to come over

We always did the Lambay Race but infrequently stayed for drinks in HYC; same for their regatta. It was too much of a slog to get back to DL and for those on swinging moorings the launch service would be finished. (Not saying we didn't open a few on the way home.......)

Advertisement