Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That funeral today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ckendrick wrote: »
    And Windsor was so beautiful today that the place will be overrun with bus loads of tourists all buying coffee and ice cream for the entire summer.
    We badly need to get something like this going but we won’t .

Really it won't.

Most countries are not watching it.

People said they same about Ireland after Star Wars and it didn't happen.

I really just don't think it works that way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pottokblue wrote: »
    Lovely short service. If it was mine I would have liked more flowers, horses, children and dogs... HRM was amazing to stand alone throughout the service. Several times I wanted to give her a supportive elbow/handhold. IMO BBC coverage was dignified and respectful. I liked the converted landrover/hearse. Organ player was class but I'd love ShaneMcGowan/NickCave/BillyBragg/WillyNelson/DollyParton/MaryBlack/SineadOConnor/TomWaits to sing my last rites but I'm a believer1

Weird post, I just don't get why someone would use "HRM" and talk about coverage being dignified and respectful.

Wanting more children or dogs , for what? Why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

You know the way at weddings some older relative seeks out the single guests to joyfully tell them “you’re next!”
    I secretly long to turn the tables at a funeral and deliver this message to the elderly attendees. I wonder if anyone has the bottle to say it to the queen today.

The media are making a meal of the story that Philip designed his own funeral vehicle...... at the end of the day its a green land rover??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

CUCINA wrote: »
    Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

What would you expect for the likes of mickey dee if he kicked the bucket? A ceremony or throw him in a badger hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Too much singing I thought.

That's the protestants for you I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is it? That’s absolutely disgraceful if so.

Grrr how much is it costing us to pay a guy to lower the flag and raise it again? Fummin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Can't exactly remember which Gallagher said it (Liam or Noel) but one of the them said around the time Diana died "if it was my mum nobody would give a f**k" - clearly he didnt get the big deal about Diana's death.

Ha, that reminds me of the time that Johnny Rotten famously called Liz 2 “a ******* German tourist”... (I starred the whole word out, out of respect for today, although I doubt she’ll be reading, either today or ever).

What’s with these Gallaghers and Lydons, the quintessential Englishmen that they are, and that chip on their shoulders..? It’s a mystery I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was surprised to hear that the Irish flag has been ordered to fly at half mast in respect of Prince Philip

But I suppose If it was done for Diana and the queen mother then why not Philip too

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really it won't.

Most countries are not watching it.

People said they same about Ireland after Star Wars and it didn't happen.

I really just don't think it works that way at all.

Windsor is rammed with tourists every summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Was surprised to hear that the Irish flag has been ordered to fly at half mast in respect of Prince Philip

But I suppose If it was done for Diana and the queen mother then why not Philip too

It’s the sign of maturity when a neighbour makes a gesture despite differences. It’s never wrong to make nice gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seenitall wrote: »
    Ha, that reminds me of the time that Johnny Rotten famously called Liz 2 “a ******* German tourist”... (I starred the whole word out, out of respect for today, although I doubt she’ll be reading, either today or ever).

What’s with these Gallaghers and Lydons, the quintessential Englishmen that they are, and that chip on their shoulders..? It’s a mystery I guess.

All grew up in Irish households

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The media are making a meal of the story that Philip designed his own funeral vehicle...... at the end of the day its a green land rover??

A land rover, very english. If he was an oul boy living over here he'd have done up an old Massey Ferguson 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

In Ghana I Believe they design their own coffins...

Was he cremated or buried on the vaults I watched the funeral on TV but missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pottokblue wrote: »
    In Ghana I Believe they design their own coffins...

Was he cremated or buried on the vaults I watched the funeral on TV but missed that bit.

Vault I think. Well the coffin was moved before the end and the queens father and mother and sister are in a chapel off that church.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I didn’t see her did you see her :)

I have no mixed race family members, if I die tomorrow and there are no POC at my funeral does that make me a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

All grew up in Irish households

Yeah, that was the joke I was attempting. Am not on form today, at all at all.

Bless her I missed that. I think UK streakers might me a nonviolent equivalent to USA shootings they seem to happen all thethetime streakers/shooters...

Grrr how much is it costing us to pay a guy to lower the flag and raise it again? Fummin.

It’s the final nail in our coffin as a failed state. It’s also another step along the road of us not being one at all any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Really liked that the queens face wasn't shown/visible at any time. The mask and the hat covering the rest of her face did the job:). Don't mean it in a sarcastic way, I actually think there's no need to show the ceremony in the church on tv at all, let them have some privacy in such a private moment like this funeral. that's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tara73 wrote: »
    Really liked that the queens face wasn't shown/visible at any time. The mask and the hat covering the rest of her face did the job:). Don't mean it in a sarcastic way, I actually think there's no need to show the ceremony in the church on tv at all, let them have some privacy in such a private moment like this funeral. that's my opinion anyway.

Yes. I get you

But, they are state property. That is their life, their gig, their service...

They don’t get a say. The crown is not any one person. It’s an institution..

Agreed tara73 but I still think Charles/Camilla/Granddaughter/ladyinwating could have been within arms reach of HRM. She is 90+ in mourning and walking/sitting/standing alone over 1/2hour. I remember when my granny came to Kerry to celebrate her 90 there was always someone from the family within arms reach to answer any beck and call. My Granny and Prince Phillip were both born in June 1921

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

blade1 wrote: »
    Jaysus, even with the tits that could have passed for a man

Careful now. Lets not drag this thread into that stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

tara73 wrote: »

She seemed to have her head bowed a lot, it must have been very lonely sitting there after such a long marriage.

I thought it a very fitting event. Plenty of symbolism, pageantry, pomp and respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

walshb wrote: »
    Yes. I get you

But, they are state property. That is their life, their gig, their service...

They don’t get a say. The crown is not any one person. It’s an institution..

Spot on. Sadly Meghan Markle didn’t appear to realise this and I’m not sure she does even now.
    When she walked back down the aisle with Harry she’d signed so many aspects of her life away, there was hardly going to be anything left.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

She seemed to have her head bowed a lot, it must have been very lonely sitting there after such a long marriage.

yes, they all bowed their head but I can't help and think with her it seemed double sad and then the hiding from the camera and the loneliness...very sad impression. I know a lot of people don't like her or the royal family here at all, but she's a human being after all born in this corset and I think she didn't like half of what she had to do. Had is the key word here..

Advertisement