Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

This forum is going to pieces.

Where is the obligatory April 1st "ROG to coach Leinster", "Connacht and Munster to join forces", "Ulster to switch to the 13-man code"...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

swiwi_ wrote: »
    This forum is going to pieces.

Where is the obligatory April 1st "ROG to coach Leinster", "Connacht and Munster to join forces", "Ulster to switch to the 13-man code"...?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116758376&postcount=630

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Speaking of people breathing down your neck, a friend of mine works in a test centre. The number of people he says turn up for a test without a mask on is incredible. One guy when questioned about it said "I'm just the driver". :eek:

My local chemist in tyrone are starting the vaccine rollout next Wednesday. They said they'll call me for mine... hopefully Thursday or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

mfceiling wrote: »
    My local chemist in tyrone are starting the vaccine rollout next Wednesday. They said they'll call me for mine... hopefully Thursday or Friday.
    Good stuff. I'm jealous. :)

I was in the test centre this day last week because my youngest lad tested positive. Picked it up at work (front line worker), but luckily me and my wife didn't test positive. In quarantine until next Tuesday (hopefully) and getting tested again Sunday or Monday.

Although we're not as quick with the vaccines, was mightily impressed with the testing system and follow up. Very slick and results in or around 24 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Speaking of people breathing down your neck, a friend of mine works in a test centre. The number of people he says turn up for a test without a mask on is incredible. One guy when questioned about it said "I'm just the driver". :eek:

Myself and two of the kids were tested this morning. A soldier came to every car in the queue and handed in a pack with masks and info leaflet before we got near the actual test area.
    There is a petrol station across the road from the testing centre. They had to put a sign up asking people not to go in after having a test.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Myself and two of the kids were tested this morning. A soldier came to every car in the queue and handed in a pack with masks and info leaflet before we got near the actual test area.
    There is a petrol station across the road from the testing centre. They had to put a sign up asking people not to go in after having a test.
    Yeah, I got my pack as well. Although I was actually only waiting a couple of minutes. Gas thing it was the friend who told me the above stories that handed me the kit. :)

In the early days you used to get tissues to blow your nose before the test and a bin bag to dispose of them and your mask before going into the test centre. One time a mother and daughter walked in wearing the bin bags. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

Michael Fassbender learning how to race, there has been 2 seasons and it's a really enjoyable watch.

It’s good alright. First season the episodes are short so you rip through it. I see he grew up in Kerry but for my untrained ear that accent is pretty subtle for Kerry. He’s no Healy-Rae in any case.

Not sure of which I’m more jealous TBH: riding a Porsche or riding Alicia Vikander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Has anyone watched Invincible on Amazon? Animated superhero series which is written by Robert Kirkman and is probably ripping off every known superhero inside the first 4 episodes ...it's actually very good & worth having a look u think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Is the IRFU broke? 20 staff to be laid off? Will the alickadoos step up and help keep them in jobs?

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Is the IRFU broke? 20 staff to be laid off? Will the alickadoos step up and help keep them in jobs?

It's bad news and sad news and unfortunate but a consequence of the pandemic. I don't think it's a direct indication of the financial health of the IRFU but absolutely indicative of the changing situation for rugby clubs in the current situation. The IRFU had been predominantly growing prior to covid so hopefully that's the direction things take post covid and where possible some of these staff get their jobs back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Watched promising young woman last night.

It's a sort of a dark comedy renege thriller about date rape starring Carey Mulligan and Bo Burnham. Highly recommend watching it. Good laughs, class sound track and a very hard hitting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Stovepipe wrote: »
    No they just have been hit heavily unfortunately like so many by the pandemic. They make so much of their money from live events and ticket sales etc and that just hasnt happened for nearly a year bar a few games at the start of this season.

What alickadoos you on about
    It's bad news and sad news and unfortunate but a consequence of the pandemic. I don't think it's a direct indication of the financial health of the IRFU but absolutely indicative of the changing situation for rugby clubs in the current situation. The IRFU had been predominantly growing prior to covid so hopefully that's the direction things take post covid and where possible some of these staff get their jobs back.

IRFU would have been in very good financial health bar this happening. Bigger worry is the constituent member clubs of the IRFU and them not having any action/money in etc in 12 months which is a far greater concern for me

Ex Glasgow Warriors lock, Nick Campbell had his first win in his debut heavyweight bout this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How is "zero Covid" still something being discussed on national airwaves. Can this hurling from the ditch stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

How is "zero Covid" still something being discussed on national airwaves. Can this hurling from the ditch stop?

Here the radio has only been playing sad music for 3 days because a 99 year old man died.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Here the radio has only been playing sad music for 3 days because a 99 year old man died.
    Like the good old days of the Soviet Union. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AZ vaccine now for over-60s only. That's the rollout schedule f*cked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The whole AZ fiasco has been a complete shítshow from the start, you couldn't make it up really.

First the shortage of deliveries, then the EU threatening to block the export of the vaccines and causing murder with cries of breaching the GFA, then saying they shouldn't be used for over 70s, then saying it shouldn't be used for under 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shammyD

The whole AZ fiasco has been a complete shítshow from the start, you couldn't make it up really.

First the shortage of deliveries, then the EU threatening to block the export of the vaccines and causing murder with cries of breaching the GFA, then saying they shouldn't be used for over 70s, then saying it shouldn't be used for under 60s.

So what's the story, are they going to prioritize JnJ for younger folks?

shammyD wrote: »
    So what's the story, are they going to prioritize JnJ for younger folks?

Who knows, there was reports that they found a pattern of blood clots with J&J as well that the EMA are investigating, so that could throw that out the window too.

• Advertisement

Threatening the use of Article 16 was a mistake (albeit it wouldn't have breached the GFA), but the restrictions on AZ use haven't come from the EU and plenty of non EU countries have them. And I can understand why they would block exports given the hoarding that has gone on elsewhere.

To be honest the responsibility primarily rests with AstranZeneca. They've dropped the ball repeatedly, have acted without integrity and in the long term they'll have questions to answer on a number of fronts, stockpiling undeclared vaccine being one of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Schedule is farcical anyhow. Recruitment of vaccinators is a shambles and will hurt the rollout more than vaccine supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There’s a whole rake of over 60s to get through so I suppose we won’t see an issue until that’s actually done. When it is, I guess they will change the guidelines.

Hopefully there’ll be more options there by summer which will help isolate us somewhat from that jokeshop of a company though

Threatening the use of Article 16 was a mistake (albeit it wouldn't have breached the GFA), but the restrictions on AZ use haven't come from the EU and plenty of non EU countries have them. And I can understand why they would block exports given the hoarding that has gone on elsewhere.

To be honest the responsibility primarily rests with AstranZeneca. They've dropped the ball repeatedly, have acted without integrity and in the long term they'll have questions to answer on a number of fronts, stockpiling undeclared vaccine being one of many.

Yeah I don't think the EU really did anything damaging other than the whole article 16 debacle, but it's more just the complete clusterfúck of events is something you'd pull out of a comedy film

Quite a number of young people have already received their first dose of the AZ vaccine..could be left up to the individual as to whether to get the second dose?

Quite a number of young people have already received their first dose of the AZ vaccine..could be left up to the individual as to whether to get the second dose?

Anyone who gets a first dose should take a second dose. Would be madness not to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A certain number of people will get the first dose then decide they have "enough" immunity and go about their lives as normal.

But that's the problem...it may not be their choice if the HSE follow the recommendations given today....
    I agree with you completely btw, it's madness not to get the second dose

But that's the problem...it may not be their choice if the HSE follow the recommendations given today....
    I agree with you completely btw, it's madness not to get the second dose

Anyone already given the first dose will be given their second as scheduled

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone already given the first dose will be given their second as scheduled

No, if you are under sixty and not high risk, it's pushed out to 16 instead of 12 weeks

Advertisement