Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I'm sure all of the under 60s who were vaccinated with AZ today in vaccination centres will be delighted to hear this news.

Jesus Christ.

I had my first dose of AstraZeneca today. Doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Stheno wrote: »
    So basically "we don't recommend it for under 60s but if you've already recieved a dose and are not high risk, we're just going to push out your second dose, till we see if we have further info"?

Even though they don't know if more than 12 weeks gap will cause issues?

But at the same time, “if you have a medical condition, we’ll chance it and give you the second dose”. How is that mixed messaging going to make anyone feel confident in the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Miike wrote: »
    Yeah its beggars belief... I'm a bit like???

Yeah I don't understand why they just didn't say anyone given first dose should get second as normal.

That said I don't believe 16 weeks will undermine efficacy of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

hmmm wrote: »
    MHRA said it's one person in 250,000 who gets these clots. If the reports on this thread are right that it has a 1 in 4 death rate then my back of the envelope calculation is that for every million people who get the vaccine, 1 person may die.

It's not exactly the Somme is it?

Hopefully this doesn't affect the rollout programme, but if at any stage AstraZeneca vaccines are lying unused I think we should be making them available to those who are happy to take the "risk". The Regulators have to do their job, but there are a lot of people who want these lockdowns to end as soon as possible.

The NIAC document tonight expressly refers to that 1 in a million (literally) risk. I'm very conservative on these things but Jesus lads! Any consequent delay is bound to cause at least one extra covid death

MHRA said it's one person in 250,000 who gets these clots. If the reports on this thread are right that it has a 1 in 4 death rate then my back of the envelope calculation is that for every million people who get the vaccine, 1 person may die.

It's not exactly the Somme is it?

Hopefully this doesn't affect the rollout programme, but if at any stage AstraZeneca vaccines are lying unused I think we should be making them available to those who are happy to take the "risk". The Regulators have to do their job, but there are a lot of people who want these lockdowns to end as soon as possible.

"Here, there's a virus that poses no risk to you, do you want a vaccine that might kill you due to blood clots that we can't quite figure out?"

Nah. Thankfully I won't have to face that decision. Common sense prevailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand why they just didn't say anyone given first dose should get second as normal.

That said I don't believe 16 weeks will undermine efficacy of vaccine.

It won't but is it on the label?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

What an absolute sh!tshow was due to get my 2nd AZ dose early next month (12weeks)
    Are they recommending people wait until the 16weeks as that brings us to June- aren’t the U.K. results out then from the case studies they did with the mixed dosing?
    As a hcw with a high risk medical condition this announcement is so upsetting but my condition is manageable I cannot imagine how others in cohort 4 feel hearing this news this evening
    These people who are extremely vulnerable to the effects of Covid and who have been cocooning for the best part of a year now won’t even be fully vaccinated until July if even at all now

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Is this woman saying the wrong vaccine name in the press briefing? Sounds like “VaxEvra” or something...

EDIT: oh she just mentioned a name change? I didn’t even hear about that. I guess AZ want to try and remove the bad PR from their vaccine by changing the name haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

"Here, there's a virus that poses no risk to you

Can we stop to the "no risk" thing? Maybe not to you but even if you got it, you might not feel sick but you could spread it to others, including some pretty high risk people. They've not all been vaccinated yet. Also, you may end up with some shítty after effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why is it OK for everyone over 60??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

"Here, there's a virus that poses no risk to you, do you want a vaccine that might kill you due to blood clots that we can't quite figure out?"

Covid surely poses a better than 1 in a million risk to literally anybody unvaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cohorts 4 and 7 esp those who have already received one dose would answer differently perhaps?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

rm212 wrote: »
    Is this woman saying the wrong vaccine name in the press briefing? Sounds like “VaxEvra” or something...

Yep, she is. Jesus wept :pac:

rm212 wrote: »

EDIT: oh she just mentioned a name change? I didn’t even hear about that.

Vaxzevria... rolls off the tongue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I can't believe the cameraperson actually focused on the graph

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Can we stop to the "no risk" thing? Maybe not to you but even if you got it, you might not feel sick but you could spread it to others, including some pretty high risk people. They've not all been vaccinated yet. Also, you may end up with some shítty after effects.

I'm just speaking how a good portion of the country feels about all of this. Now add into the mix a "young people killer vaccine" and people are thinking we can just continue like nothing is happening? You think posting clever charts on Twitter is going to alleviate concerns?

The right call was made to ensure confidence in the programme. That matters if you want to end the lockdowns.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Cohorts 4 and 7 esp those who have already received one dose would answer differently perhaps?

The right call was made to ensure confidence in the programme. That matters if you want to end the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

When is this in effect from? My OH is not gonna be getting her vaccine in Pairc Ui Chaoimh tomorrow if that's the case. She's in her early 30s.

Also interested in an answer to this. I know someone going in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yep, she is. Jesus wept :pac:

No, for some extraordinary reason AZ has been renamed, I suspect such was the negativity around AZ they've had to rename it. Hardly a confidence building move

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I'm just speaking how a good portion of the country feels about all of this. Now add into the mix a "young people killer vaccine" and people are thinking we can just continue like nothing is happening? You think posting clever charts on Twitter is going to alleviate concerns?

I'm in that portion. I'm not high risk, am fit and not overweight. I will likely be fine if I get it. I totally understand that angle.

But, my girlfriend with a chronic illness and her parents who both had cancer in the last 3 years wouldn't be fine.

The risk is much less for younger people but this is an infectious disease that spreads.

I'm in that portion. I'm not high risk, am fit and not overweight. I will likely be fine if I get it. I totally understand that angle.

But, my girlfriend with a chronic illness and her parents who both had cancer in the last 3 years wouldn't be fine.

The risk is much less for younger people but this is an infectious disease that spreads.

Sorry I have to repeat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why is it OK for everyone over 60??
    The risk decreases the older you get.

In the UK, the figure is 1.1 blood clots for every 100,000 people in their 20s. That falls to 0.2 in 100,000 for people in their 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Also interested in an answer to this. I know someone going in a couple of days.

From now. Not being administered tomorrow.

Sorry I have to repeat myself.

Genuinely not sure what you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The risk decreases the older you get.

In the UK, the figure is 1.1 blood clots for every 100,000 people in their 20s. That falls to 0.2 in 100,000 for people in their 60s.

I see, thanks.

It makes no sense.
    The chance of a second dose reaction is less than 1 in a million.

If that is the standard of unacceptable risk you could never exit lockdown.

The risk of being unvaccinated for cohorts 4 7 and over 40s from.covid is far higher than that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It makes no sense.
    The chance of a second dose reaction is less than 1 in a million.

If that is the standard of unacceptable risk you could never exit lockdown
    I wouldn't engage tbh with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

According to the Times this is the risk :-

The EMA has added unusual clotting events with low platelet counts as very rare side effects to the vaccine product information. These rare events are estimated to occur between 4 and 10 in every 1 million people, one of whom may die.

Are we living in a world of over safteyism , given we have been in lockdown for nearly 12 months , I guess it is safer to stay locked up in your home , than going out and actually living, you will be nearly 100% safe , but wont be much of a life.

• Advertisement

This thread is impervious to reason. I give up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement