Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

12467332

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag


    
    
    "Here, there's a virus that poses no risk to you, do you want a vaccine that might kill you due to blood clots that we can't quite figure out?"

    Nah. Thankfully I won't have to face that decision. Common sense prevailed.

    If you think the virus poses no risk to you then you have to think that this potential issue with the AZ vaccine poses no risk either. Unless you think that less than 1 person in a million under 60 dies from Covid?

    And we're not even taking the serious side affects or potential to pass the disease on with Covid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy


    This thread is impervious to reason. I give up.


    I did say I didn't understand you, am asking a genuine question.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    It was stated at the start of the briefing that they can take this action because there are other vaccines available. That's the crux of it, we have the flexibility to reassign the vaccine supply accordingly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased


    Flying Fox wrote: »
    It was stated at the start of the briefing that they can take this action because there are other vaccines available. That's the crux of it, we have the flexibility to reassign the vaccine supply accordingly.
    None of that is certain yet, as Dr. Glynn just said. HSE has only just started work on seeing what's feasible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas


    What an absolute sh!tshow was due to get my 2nd AZ dose early next month (12weeks)
    Are they recommending people wait until the 16weeks as that brings us to June- aren’t the U.K. results out then from the case studies they did with the mixed dosing?
    As a hcw with a high risk medical condition this announcement is so upsetting but my condition is manageable I cannot imagine how others in cohort 4 feel hearing this news this evening
    These people who are extremely vulnerable to the effects of Covid and who have been cocooning for the best part of a year now won’t even be fully vaccinated until July if even at all now

    The good news for you is that the level of immunity is very high even after a single dose of AZ and your risk of being hospitalised with Covid is now extremely low.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy


    Is Parc Ui Chaoimh using any other vaccine other than AZ atm does anyone know?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666


    This thread is impervious to reason. I give up.

    You are the one implying that herd immunity should be aided by younger cohorts simply getting immunity through infection rather than vacine and the chance of long covid that could go with that.

    Off you go.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    [PHP][/PHP]
    None of that is certain yet, as Dr. Glynn just said. HSE has only just started work on seeing what's feasible.

    Dr. Butler said it and the start, and just a minute ago. The availability of alternative vaccines influenced their decision and they felt that safety was the priority.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased


    All AZ clinics cancelled tomorrow. That's the 180k this week out the window.
    https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1381690755614392323?s=20


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased


    Flying Fox wrote: »
    Dr. Butler said it and the start, and just a minute ago. The availability of alternative vaccines influenced their decision and they felt that safety was the priority.
    NIAC has nothing to do with the supply. Glynn just said that it's up to the HSE to decide and they're working on it now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY


    The only way this decision makes sense is if either - they have so many alternative doses available that this makes no difference to the objective of having 80% of adults with at least 1 dose done by end June or the risk to covid from under 60s is less than the 1 in a million risk from the vaccine.

    Neither seem likely - so this seems like a very bad decision. 


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas


    All AZ clinics cancelled tomorrow. That's the 180k this week out the window.
    https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1381690755614392323?s=20

    That actually makes a lot of sense. They need time to regroup and reschedule everything - it shouldn't take long though for AZ vaccinations to recommence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey


    funnydoggy wrote: »
    Is Parc Ui Chaoimh using any other vaccine other than AZ atm does anyone know?

    They have used Astra for the last few weeks. Not sure if they changed in the last few days


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob


    Strazdas wrote: »
    The good news for you is that the level of immunity is very high even after a single dose of AZ and your risk of being hospitalised with Covid is now extremely low.

    Rather than stretching the second dose to 16 weeks, could we consider one dose of AZ to be fully vaccinated?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased


    If you took the vaccine yesterday, get it as normal in 12 weeks.
    But do not take it tomorrow!
    That's essentially the advice


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd


    180-190k this week and next to start with don't stand a chance now.

    HSE going to need a few days to work all this out logistically.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    NIAC has nothing to do with the supply. Glynn just said that it's up to the HSE to decide and they're working on it now.

    I'm not suggesting that they manage the supply. But they have made it clear that the availability of other vaccines influenced their decision. They know the make up of our supply, and that AZ accounts for one fifth of it. If they only had AZ, the decision would have been different (and Dr. Glynn has said exactly this just now).


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo


    From now. Not being administered tomorrow.

    My point is, will the appointment be cancelled or a different one be administered


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable


    Rather than stretching the second dose to 16 weeks, could we consider one dose of AZ to be fully vaccinated?

    They are hoping studies come in with mixing vaccines, most likely the second dose will be Pfizer now. There are ongoing studies with mixing the vaccines and it looks like doing so will be safe and effective.

    I get the distinct impression that they would pull AstraZeneca altogether now if they could.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas


    Rather than stretching the second dose to 16 weeks, could we consider one dose of AZ to be fully vaccinated?

    I've seen stats that show that after a few weeks of the first AZ dose, a person's chances of contracting Covid are extremely low - but it would certainly be wise to get the second dose just to be on the safe side and to it by the book.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased


    Flying Fox wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that they manage the supply. But they have made it clear that the availability of other vaccines influenced their decision. They know the make up of our supply, and that AZ accounts for one fifth of it. If they only had AZ, the decision would have been different (and Dr. Glynn has said exactly this just now).
    She may have said that but it has nothing to do with them. I'm watching it, Glynn said they don't know yet what the HSE will do, they may swap cohorts, they may re-allocate, etc. It can't have 'influenced their decision' if the HSE haven't even decided.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666


    I gotta say looking at those bar charts other than the under 30s, those margins of caution are very very wide.

    But I haven't heard any mention of specific cases in particular demographics is women under 50 or whatever, hasn't come into their final analysis at all it seems, probably from lack of data.

    Now in truth we'll only have the UK to rely on for more data if even.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212


    My Uncle is his 60s was due to have his vaccine tomorrow. Oxford AstraZeneca one, he got a text in this past hour stating it was cancelled due to national review. His age group was unaffected by todays announcement so he's disappointed not to be getting it tomorrow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980


    funnydoggy wrote: »
    Is Parc Ui Chaoimh using any other vaccine other than AZ atm does anyone know?

    They only have AZ as far as I know.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86


    Hmmm. I get the feeling that this could all change again in the next week or so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy


    :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog


    What an absolute sh!tshow was due to get my 2nd AZ dose early next month (12weeks)
    Are they recommending people wait until the 16weeks as that brings us to June- aren’t the U.K. results out then from the case studies they did with the mixed dosing?
    As a hcw with a high risk medical condition this announcement is so upsetting but my condition is manageable I cannot imagine how others in cohort 4 feel hearing this news this evening
    These people who are extremely vulnerable to the effects of Covid and who have been cocooning for the best part of a year now won’t even be fully vaccinated until July if even at all now

    I think you can get it as scheduled? Very high risk and high risk under 60s get dose 2 it as planned was my understanding?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    She may have said that but it has nothing to do with them. I'm watching it, Glynn said they don't know yet what the HSE will do, they may swap cohorts, they may re-allocate, etc. It can't have 'influenced their decision' if the HSE haven't even decided.

    Glynn has literally just said that the numbers of orders placed fed into the decision.

    He said the HSE is working now on reallocating it, which of course they have to do following this recommendation. There's no 'may' about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig


    180-190k this week and next to start with don't stand a chance now.

    HSE going to need a few days to work all this out logistically.

    I would be optimistic though that we could catch up quite quickly. To date supply has being the constraint. If this means AZ is held back a few days we should have no real problem in catching up.

    My biggest concern here is what happens if J & J produces the risk outcome as AZ? We're reliant on that single dose vaccine to do a lot of heavy lifting for our later summer targets. If that one get's age restricted things could get very awkward.

    Heaven forbid the supply of the mRNA vaccines gets disrupted.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666


    Whatever about the adverse impact this will have on rollout or lack of, each time something this happens we lose a contingency plan.

    I will keep banging the broaden the Pfizer dosing interval drum til my arm falls off.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement