Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Beasty what did you do to the thread ? I was on one are vaccines the way out and it’s gone now

Yes and all the shyte has come over to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Aren't you thread banned?

Did you just get put out to pasture? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Flying Fox wrote: »
    We're getting 480k doses of AZ in April and May, so all over 60s could receive a first dose in that time. It's really not so bad. Maybe the 50-59 groups could be opened up before the 60-69s finish, so we can keep the supply of Pfizer and Moderna moving.
    You're suggesting fully vaccinating 50 year olds before 60 year olds. Because that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Vaccine threads get merged into this one big megathread, it saves having 20 different threads about the same subject.

Is this testing, treatments and vaccines one ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Is this testing, treatments and vaccines one ?

It was about vaccines but now its about some lads pint, boards being Irish (who knew), Portugal not having mandatory mask rules (someone forgot to tell Portugal) and any other old shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You're suggesting fully vaccinating 50 year olds before 60 year olds. Because that makes sense.

It does if we have Pfizer and they can only go to under 60s. Otherwise we will have the 60 plus done but no one to give AZ to.

It’s tough one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It does if we have Pfizer and they can only go to under 60s. Otherwise we will have the 60 plus done but no one to give AZ to.

It’s tough one
    You don't go from 60s to 50s. You go from 60s to the highly vulnerable 18+, as per the rollout.

Oh for God's sake.

60+ takes priority and starts earlier, obviously. We have significant AZ supply to cover them. I'm simply thinking about possible options the HSE could consider to streamline the rollout in light of tonight's developments.

I have no idea what they'll do, it's their call and they have access to information that a bunch of randomers on the internet don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You don't go from 60s to 50s. You go from 60s to the highly vulnerable 18+, as per the rollout.

True but they can’t get AZ either so you give the AZ to 60-69 and then do the next cohort but I don’t think that is very big right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How many are in the vulnerable groups before we hit the 50+? (I'm not in the 50+ group myself, but it's a good indication we're getting to mass, all adult, rollout)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Multipass wrote: »
    I agree that they basically have no risk from covid, this whole crisis is bollocks. But if vaccines are the only way we can get freedom, give me freedom asap, not hold firm for 10 more weeks while we wait for Pfizer.

Get dose of AZ , wait 12 to16 weeks for 2nd dose ,
    Or
    Wait 10weeks (where did you get this from?) for mRNA vaccine and 2nd dose 4weeks later ,
    = difference of 2weeks before fully vaccinated going byyour own metric .

It's not a big issue really, for safety .

The highly vulnerable 18+ will likely be getting their Pfizer vaccines alongside the 60s then. The rollout has to be adapted somewhat after tonight. It doesn't mean the whole thing is a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The highly vulnerable 18+ will likely be getting their Pfizer vaccines alongside the 60s then. The rollout has to be adapted somewhat after tonight. It doesn't mean the whole thing is a disaster.

60 to 69 cohort have most grounds for grievance I think. Ultimately, for a number of reasons, I think most of us would prefer the Pfizer vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,187 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many European countries have restricted AZ by age, so are seeing the exact same scenario as is playing out here.

60 to 69 cohort have most grounds for grievance I think. Ultimately, for a number of reasons, I think most of us would prefer the Pfizer vaccine

Completely get that, and I think choosing 60 as the cut off was very cautious. However the clotting risk from AZ is miniscule after 60 (it's five times higher at 30) and the side effects in general seem to be less severe than in younger people.

NPHET: "Vaccines are our way out of this"

Vaccines: *reduce deaths and hospitalisations hugely*

NPHET: "NO, NOT THAT VACCINE!"

That is what has been said will happen only last week and makes more sense now that the vaccines will be different.
    Group 7 are meant to be starting vaccination May 3 and running concurrently with 60 to 65 year olds with no underlying conditions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A bit of humour after this sh1t show today.

162307164_5243138019061685_1431592022820927934_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=mczAbzdEEUoAX9QEtYL&_nc_oc=AQmmfckF3RfZ7DVzW6e1l48--NdP3VtX6Tdww96ZlkVuawotvoNtnyTEsfda1Hhl2ONrTFtBX-V-2TiBgchutRs3&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f4e553d34b3969f47a2a881b76d0607b&oe=609A01CE

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

A bit of humour after this sh1t show today.

162307164_5243138019061685_1431592022820927934_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=mczAbzdEEUoAX9QEtYL&_nc_oc=AQmmfckF3RfZ7DVzW6e1l48--NdP3VtX6Tdww96ZlkVuawotvoNtnyTEsfda1Hhl2ONrTFtBX-V-2TiBgchutRs3&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f4e553d34b3969f47a2a881b76d0607b&oe=609A01CE

Where's Irish Stones when you need him :pac:

• Advertisement

Translate please! :)

rough translation: Jamaican vaccine produced by flyta zenica is not as effective as the others, but after a couple of doses you won't give a damn about coronavirus. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Parachutes wrote: »
    That’s the argument now. We have to continue lockdown because we don’t have complete freedom to murder people or drive through a red light :rolleyes:

No that isn’t, but as your reply shows you want to disingenuously misrepresent the views of others to further your own argument... bit see through...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This new thread has gone to the dogs tbh. I know it's been a rough day of news but seeing threadbanned users posting away, people based in the UK gloating about having their pint today and something about moving to Portugal, plus the hysteria that "lockdowns and masks will never go away"... How is this being allowed?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged
    Please note two threads were merged - threadbans listed in the OP have not been breached if made in the newer thread before the merge

This new thread has gone to the dogs tbh. I know it's been a rough day of news but seeing threadbanned users posting away, people based in the UK gloating about having their pint today and something about moving to Portugal, plus the hysteria that "lockdowns and masks will never go away"... How is this being allowed?
    You forgot the BS that “vaccines won’t end this” :D:pac:

• Advertisement

Please note two threads were merged - threadbans listed in the OP have not been breached if made in the newer thread before the merge
    Want to humbly say, without questioning any mod decision, that readers cannot know a thread was merged until well into reading through the enlarged, merged thread. Were one thread to be closed, and the other continued, I guess that wouldn't be an issue. Also, the list in the OP appears at a glance to be shorter than the old vaccines and testing megathread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just reposting this in case anyone was wondering about what effect it would have on Q2 doses if J&J goes t1ts up like AZ.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1379770246194737157?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1379770370434158595%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D116815271

(Reminder that 1 J&J dose = 1 fully vaccinated person)

What's happening I think is folk starting new threads, banned posters from this thread posting on new one and mods merging them into the original thread. :)

josip wrote: »
    Not great news. Considering that J&J gives in 1 dose what Comirnaty gives in 2 from an epidemiological view, the largest contributor to vaccinations in June would be J&J.

What's happening I think is folk starting new threads, banned posters from this thread posting on new one and mods merging them into the original thread. :)
    Yes, I understood Beasty's message (least I hope so). When threadbans are involved, confusion is avoided when threads are closed and redirected to the "main" thread :D

It's unfortunate that the 10k limit was reached on a day like this, I feel some unscrupulous characters took advantage of this.

• Advertisement

Sorry to query but what threads now ate we talking about ..am confused :confused:

Yes, I understood Beasty's message (least I hope so). When threadbans are involved, confusion is avoided when threads are closed and redirected to the "main" thread :D

It's unfortunate that the 10k limit was reached on a day like this, I feel some unscrupulous characters took advantage of this.

Who have we wandering around here ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Astra Zenaca is now limited to 2nd doses and over 60s only does anyone know how many additional Astra Zenaca vaccines we will need (if the people who can get Astra Zenaca only get Astra Zenaca).

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Australia have rejected J&J (after also suspending AZ) as they don’t want to use adenovirus vector vaccines due to the blood clotting concerns. Looks like they’ll be sticking to Pfizer and Moderna (and possible one or two others which are still in the pipeline)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-13/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-australia/100064454/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Astra is done guys.

What an awful awful vaccine.

Feel bad for anyone with a first dose but at least they had no side effects then they dodged the bullet. I Would not get the second dose and would wait till Pfizer comes available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know this is not a very scientific way of putting it, but to use a very old phrase, I wouldn't touch the Astra Zeneca vaccine with a barge pole.

I know this is not a very scientific way of putting it, but to use a very old phrase, I wouldn't touch the Astra Zeneca vaccine with a barge pole.

I've had it and nothing has happ

Turtwig wrote: »
    I would be optimistic though that we could catch up quite quickly. To date supply has being the constraint. If this means AZ is held back a few days we should have no real problem in catching up.

My biggest concern here is what happens if J & J produces the risk outcome as AZ? We're reliant on that single dose vaccine to do a lot of heavy lifting for our later summer targets. If that one get's age restricted things could get very awkward.

Heaven forbid the supply of the mRNA vaccines gets disrupted.

My thoughts exactly
    Similar issues with J& J along with" capillary leak syndrome " being investigated.
    It will be very difficult having vaccinated over 60s if J& J cannot be given to younger people.

Think that they have been a little too cautious with the age group restricted to AZ and maybe it will be revised downwards to 40 + being allowed to get it .
    I wonder is this decision influenced by the uncertainty around AZ supply also?

Astra is done guys.

Feel bad for anyone with a first dose but at least they had no side effects then they dodged the bullet. I Would not get the second dose and would wait till Pfizer comes available

That’s my situation. 25 with a medical condition and got the first dose... really wish I hadn’t as I’ve just lost all confidence in it being a good and effective vaccine. Seems like it’s crap against some of the currently spreading variants (eg. South African). If I had known I’d get the Pfizer or Moderna if I had held out a few more weeks, I would have bit your hand off. I’m just isolating anyway. Actually, I’d probably have gotten both doses of Pfizer before getting AZ dose 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Can we have an amnesty and unban all the banned, a gesture of peace & love to all in these harsh times of a pandemic.

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    Can we have an amnesty and unban all the banned, a gesture of peace & love to all in these harsh times of a pandemic.

And add to the shyte that’s already bring spouted? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

rm212 wrote: »
    That’s my situation. 25 with a medical condition and got the first dose... really wish I hadn’t as I’ve just lost all confidence in it being a good and effective vaccine. Seems like it’s crap against some of the currently spreading variants (eg. South African). If I had known I’d get the Pfizer or Moderna if I had held out a few more weeks, I would have bit your hand off. I’m just isolating anyway. Actually, I’d probably have gotten both doses of Pfizer before getting AZ dose 2.

Replied to your post in the AZ thread.

If your referring to it being crap against South African variant I'm assuming your relating this to the god awful study in South Africa that's been discussed on the thread a few times (old thread now)

You've been given an effective vaccine that's proving itself to prevent serious illness, prevent death and reduce transmission. Honestly your over thinking it.

Replied to your post in the AZ thread.

If your referring to it being crap against South African variant I'm assuming your relating this to the god awful study in South Africa that's been discussed on the thread a few times (old thread now)

You've been given an effective vaccine that's proving itself to prevent serious illness, prevent death and reduce transmission. Honestly your over thinking it.

I’m talking about this study, not sure if it’s the same one you’re taking about?
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214?query=featured_home

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

obviously this has turned into a sh*tshow, no major surprise.

What I cant understand is how there is talk of not using AZ tomorrow. surely they are not going to suspend them for over 60s tomorrow, then in a few days say ok its safe now roll uo your sleeves! I'm Irish people will accept this as we now are happy to take any sub par service and explanation available but to me its a joke to come out and say over 60s all good nothing to fear but oh hang on a few days just need to double check.

Should open the portal tomorrow for over 60s to register for vaccine to show confidence in the vaccine and keep on track in the ultimate goal to get everyone vaccinated and open up - that is the goal i think though sometimes it seems that opening society and getting people back to work is nowhere on our agenda

I’m talking about this study, not sure if it’s the same one you’re taking about?

Look at the confidence intervals of that study.

Yeah thats the one.

More holes in it than Swiss cheese

Good bit on it back in the previous thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We guessed that.

No study produced yet is in any position to tell us how the vaccines work against the variants of concern. For now, best evidence we have is they all prevent severe covid. This includes AZ.

Astra is done guys.

I'd consider myself relatively well informed and I'd lick my second dose off a rats arsé given the opportunity. If you want to feel bad, feel bad that I might not be given the opportunity to exercise choice in the fate of my second dose but do not feel bad for me because I received one dose of what is suddenly an "awful vaccine". This awful vaccine has saved thousands of lives to date.

Miike wrote: »
    I'd consider myself relatively well informed and I'd lick my second dose off a rats arsé given the opportunity. If you want to feel bad, feel bad that I might not be given the opportunity to exercise choice in the fate of my second dose but do not feel bad for me because I received one dose of what is suddenly an "awful vaccine". This awful vaccine has saved thousands of lives to date.

Wouldn't even entertain it tbh so fair play to you for replying(some patience). The same post has been posted over multiple threads this evening "astra is done" etc followed by a load of nonsense ramble as to how its a vaccine killing young people.

It's a highly effective vaccine that is doing what it set out to do, preventing severe infection, preventing death and reducing transmission.

• Advertisement

Miike wrote: »
    Look at the confidence intervals of that study.

They’re large yes, but even in the most optimistic case of them being at the absolute maximum... it’s still not amazing protection. Especially for the severe infection.

Well, we will see a real life example with the UK starting to re-open, I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement