Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

Some light snow flakes blowing in a shower here near Arklow again
    The very low humidity is really making mince meat of the shower
    Its exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Sleet turned back to snow for a bit. Dry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Old friend of mine in his late 70s says it is one of the coldest days of April he ever remembers

And also he says it is a sign of a poor summer

Sorry to break the bad news :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Old friend of mine in his late 70s says it is one of the coldest days of April he ever remembers

And also it is a sign of a poor summer

Same age here but I have no idea re so many years. BUT bitterly cold, I have never ever needed to light a fire in April in my life before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 reddituser123

And also it is a sign of a poor summer

hopefully not, can't face another bad summer. i hope it will be a repeat of 2013, cold in spring and a good summer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

-5c dew point Islay, -3c dew point Ballypatrick forest. Colder air is not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

April 1986 was a cold April followed by a cold wet summer.

April 1989 was a cold April followed by a lovely warm summer. 1990 same as 1989. Can go anyway.

I signed up in late March but following the weather threads since February 2009. So I feel I know loads of posters!

I've never seen the threads so fractious over very little. Funnily I had a work zoom call today and a colleague said Covid had people more tense than usual but they didn't really know what was upsetting them in particular. Maybe it's a bit of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Car covered in a smattering of frozen snow/graupel this morning. Tullamore area. 225ft asl.
    Nó covering ón ground to speak of.
    The sunshine, albeit accompanied by invisible flying piranha, has been a pleasant surprise.

Is the -9/-10c low predicted for Laois on Friday/Saturday still looking on the cards?

GFSOPUK12_90_5.png

Broad area of -5c and -6c over Kilkenny and surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I signed up in late March but following the weather threads since February 2009. So I feel I know loads of posters!

I've never seen the threads so fractious over very little. Funnily I had a work zoom call today and a colleague said Covid had people more tense than usual but they didn't really know what was upsetting them in particular. Maybe it's a bit of that.

I'm dealing with clients and the public in the job here for years and absolutely, people are wound up in a way I've never seen before since Christmas.
    Flying off the handle over the most minor of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What is your point? The front that came in an hour or so ago brought in saturated air, once it departs south the drier air will head south.

Derry Eglinton
    Snow
    Issued at: Tue 06 Apr 2021 - 17:33 UTC
    Valid from: Wed 07 Apr 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    Valid to: Wed 07 Apr 2021 - 06:00 UTC
    SLIGHT RAIN AND SNOW MAY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I'm dealing with clients and the public in the job here for years and absolutely, people are wound up in a way I've never seen before since Christmas.

What's your point!?!?!

:D

Neddyusa wrote: »

Especially as we're dealing with an April cold spell we get every 4/5 years. Not a January/February record cold spell, a summer heatwave, a serious winter storm, continental thunderstorms forecast. It's mundane enough weather, nothing that would have you on the edge of your seat.

Like Graces said it's fire lighting time. Grace said she never lit one before in April, I would have, but that can be a personal thing. My mam is 87 and feels the cold more, that happens as we get older.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    What's your point!?!?!

:D

I think we all need to realise, from the posts I've read, we need to make special allowances here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

March 2012 was a record breaking month for warmth followed by a cold April and wet summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nit picking and such will always be prevalent on a very dedicated thread (regardless of the topic) like this, as it tends to attract people who are passionate about the topic. If forums like this disappeared tomorrow, who else in the 'real' that world could we spar with regarding the current name of a cloud or how warm a specific air mass is? Most people in our real world circle don't care, and actually see you as being a little 'touched' for being interested in the weather, which personally I am totally cool with. The bland opinions and bland interests of bland minds matter not.

New Moon

smokie72 wrote: »
    March 2012 was a record breaking month for warmth followed by a cold April and wet summer

March 2012 was a mad month. Temps reached around 22c in the last week.

Then around the 12th April, the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic (Oneric posted charts of that time) it was raw weather, 7-10c. That summer was in a string of bad ones 2007-2012, bar 2010 was reasonable.

From what I see you can't make a call on summer from March and April, be they cold or warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Especially as we're dealing with an April cold spell we get every 4/5 years. Not a January/February record cold spell, a summer heatwave, a serious winter storm, continental thunderstorms forecast. It's mundane enough weather, nothing that would have you on the edge of your seat.

The outdoors was the only thing we had left. Now we are all stuck inside in our prisons. We had some nice weather and thought we had left winter well and truly behind and then this comes and hits us like a brick. Of course people are losing it.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Nit picking and such will always be prevalent on a very dedicated thread (regardless of the topic) like this, as it tends to attract people who are passionate about the topic.

I don't really agree. It's how you express yourself. Look at MT, I never once saw him get tetchy with anyone. A gentleman. There are a good few posters like him too.

Harpon wrote: »
    The outdoors was the only thing we had left. Now we are all stuck inside in our prisons. We had some nice weather and thought we had left winter well and truly behind and then this comes and hits us like a brick. Of course people are losing it.

I kinda agree, but you can wrap up and get out in most of the country. Maybe your location is more showery.

• Advertisement

I try to hide my interest in the weather, because I know it's a little odd.. I moved my weather station into a more hidden place for that reason. The other thing is going out to monitor the weather, I would tend to drive up the hills in marginal situations every few hours to see what's going on. I really hope that my neighbours don't think that i'm some freak of the week for coming and going at all hours.

I do try to take different routes each time so that the people up the hill don't notice me driving past lol.

I would prefer a more normalised hobby.

I try to hide my interest in the weather.. I drive up the local hills when its snowing to see the snowline.. I hope the neighbours etc don't notice me going in and out. I'm sure they're wondering why I keep coming and going.

I take different routes each time..

:D:D

You definitely don't hide it here Nqp! The people in Limavady might think you're drug dealing :D

Edit: A big interest in snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I try to hide my interest in the weather, because I know it's a little odd.. I moved my weather station into a more hidden place for that reason. The other thing is going out to monitor the weather, I would tend to drive up the hills in marginal situations every few hours to see what's going on. I really hope that my neighbours don't think that i'm some freak of the week for coming and going at all hours.

I do try to take different routes each time so that the people up the hill don't' notice me driving past lol.

So you go out on snowvert ops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I don't really agree. It's how you express yourself. Look at MT, I never once saw him get tetchy with anyone. A gentleman. There are a good few posters like him too.

True, but this forum has always had its 'tetchy' moments.. for as long as I remember any way. M.T does stand aloof though, silently watching and no doubt shaking his head.

New Moon

I kinda agree, but you can wrap up and get out in most of the country. Maybe your location is more showery.

I don’t know about that, I wrapped up well going out earlier but this type of weather just chills you to the bone. Not pleasant to be out in at all.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    True, but this forum has always had its 'tetchy' moments.. for as long as I remember any way. M.T does stand aloof though, silently watching and no doubt shaking his head.

He's the godfather!

Danno, Nacho, Mountainy Man, High def usually don't tighten their Isobars either.

Some of my favourite blow ups involved Little Snowy Old Me, he gets very excited at FI charts and leaves himself open to 'slight' disappointments.

I don’t know about that, I wrapped up well going out earlier but this type of weather just chills you to the bone. Not pleasant to be out in at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I find it fine for exercising in. I'd be fairly warm blooded.

Cold weather is usually fine to exercise in provided the humidity is low and the wind is not blowing into your face. Wet cold with subzero wind chills like today is a no go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A few thermals, good hat/gloves and a well made jacket and you would embrace this weather. Dry, bright and fresh - my favourite to be honest.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

A few thermals, good hat/gloves and a well made jacket and you would embrace this weather. Dry, bright and fresh - my favourite to be honest.

I don’t mind cold temps at all, but when there is cold temps and a strong wind blowing in your face like today I just don’t find that pleasant to be out in. I’m certainly not the only one as I barely seen a soul about my park today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement