Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely day in Galway. Lit a big fire for tonight - hard to find briquettes these days.
    People must be stockpiling!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Lovely day in Galway. Lit a big fire for tonight - hard to find briquettes these days. People must be stockpiling!

I was just up hiking, it was about 2c. Doesn’t even feel that cold.

There is still snow on the hills, which is a bizarre sight, late on in the day at this time of the year. I am surprised it lasted.

Snow cover still hanging around on the higher peaks into the evening, despite the strong sun. Definitely a rarity in April.

YWxEpql.jpg

Spring plants are coming out despite the cold temperatures.

wxV3R8t.jpg

ho7vYz8.jpg

8Y5Vc63.jpg

Evidence of the tectonic activity in this area from the Cenozoic era when the land was part of Laurentia.

DZG8YdE.jpg

Further light snow showers out in the North Channel. Falling as snow down to the surface.

TbASo8A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Comhra wrote: »
    Fairly widespread showers popping up now.

EeVJuxbl.png

Got some soft hail from those earlier, but followed by a blue sky evening.

New Moon

Snowing here and sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rather heavy hail/graupel/sleet/snow shower in Tallaght around lunchtime today, some novelty drifts against the buildings there.

Weird thing is that the radar said rain/sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Danno wrote: »
    Rather heavy hail/graupel/sleet/snow shower in Tallaght around lunchtime today, some novelty drifts against the buildings there.

Yes, that it was fairly impressive there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Got some soft hail from those earlier, but followed by a blue sky evening.

Brief encounter with some hail earlier, thankfully that wind is gone!
    Cold night but little evidence of frost, although frost is more prevalent after dawn, I have no intention being up to witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A number of locations at -4 C at 0600h and again at 0700h, guidance suggesting that there will be a rapid increase in wintry showers after about 10:00 to mid-day through central counties, thunder, hail and snow possible.

This weekend should be the last really anomalous cold but then about a week of recovery that may still include some frosts, and daytime readings edging back towards more average values for mid-April. Hints of a slightly warmer regime to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-3.8c here in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Snowing here but too wet to stick. Mountains are white. Might be a fun day for Errigal 😊

-3.8c here in North Dublin.

It was far colder in the Dubalin region on this day 23 years ago (1998) when Casement recorded a low of -5.5c.

UT0pE0W.png

New Moon

Brief encounter with some hail earlier, thankfully that wind is gone!
    Cold night but little evidence of frost, although frost is more prevalent after dawn, I have no intention being up to witness it.

Had plans to be out in the back garden by now to do some serious tidying up (badly needed) but that cold is hard. Think I'll let the sun get to work and warm the place up as I enjoy another cuppa... or ten.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful blue skies Meath. Sure is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Snow cover still hanging around on the higher peaks into the evening, despite the strong sun. Definitely a rarity in April.

[/IMG]

Just want it said, I find it hard to read the word limavady without blurting out 'limavady' in a strong belfast accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A very hard frost last night here, there was a very light dusting of snow on top of the frost also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A number of locations at -4 C at 0600h and again at 0700h, guidance suggesting that there will be a rapid increase in wintry showers after about 10:00 to mid-day through central counties, thunder, hail and snow possible.

This weekend should be the last really anomalous cold but then about a week of recovery that may still include some frosts, and daytime readings edging back towards more average values for mid-April. Hints of a slightly warmer regime to follow.

-5.7C at the Kilcogy climate station in Cavan, the lowest April temperature in Ireland since -6.2C at Clonroche, Wexford on 5 April 2018.

As for April 1908 MT, several Irish stations had 2-3 snow falling days which presumably all occurred after the 19th. The monthly weather report from the UK Met Office does mention: "For a whole week it was of daily occurrence in many parts of the kingdom, developing into widespread and rather heavy storms on the 23rd, and culminating in an April snowstorm of unprecedented severity on the next days over England and Ireland". It is specifically reported that much of the snow melted as it fell so depths or accumulations could not be accurately measured.

The attached Irish Times extract give a good picture of the situation and a few more details on how it actually affected Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hard frost in Galway this morning. Lovely now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

A reanalysis chart for the time period Syran spoke of in his excellent account:

Kavm4O2.png

What is becoming apparent now as we talk of historic April cold spells, is that the pattern that brings them are very similar regardless of what year they occur in. Northerly winds just seem to happen with vexing ease during this month.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though it's looking slightly warmer as we head into the second half of April and perhaps pleasantly warm at times there are hints in fantasy land of another reload of Northerlies as we start May.

This is too far away I know but I would not be at all surprised.

Dry all night in Sligo with some frost. Now the rain showers are arriving. 7c

Despite all the digs yesterday from aunty snow nobody else reported snow last night but me.

The current snow cover here:

htJwGol.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn’t up early enough to see the full cover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭pauldry

Actually shower activity seems to be disappearing slightly on satellite as showers push in a slight westerly direction. Maybe convection will beef up a few more or maybe we will have another mainly sunny day like yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

sryanbruen wrote: »
    -5.7C at the Kilcogy climate station in Cavan, the lowest April temperature in Ireland since -6.2C at Clonroche, Wexford on 5 April 2018.

As for April 1908 MT, several Irish stations had 2-3 snow falling days which presumably all occurred after the 19th. The monthly weather report from the UK Met Office does mention: "For a whole week it was of daily occurrence in many parts of the kingdom, developing into widespread and rather heavy storms on the 23rd, and culminating in an April snowstorm of unprecedented severity on the next days over England and Ireland". It is specifically reported that much of the snow melted as it fell so depths or accumulations could not be accurately measured.

The attached Irish Times extract give a good picture of the situation and a few more details on how it actually affected Ireland.

Great info as always Sryan, my station showed -5 at 6.45 this morning, about 15km from that Kilcogy station.
    The car roofs had frost on them at 9pm yesterday.

Lovely morning now at 7c, apart from a hail shower early yesterday barely a drop fell afterwards. Not expecting it as dry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The current snow cover here:

htJwGol.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn’t up early enough to see the full cover

Is that full snow or a graupel/snow mix?

No it’s pure snow

https://streamable.com/2tl7e5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Snowing in Westport. Decent sized flakes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement