Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

Experience tells us -8c 850's (later this week)don't make much in the way of dry snow in a long atlantic marine flow at anytime in winter,but especially in April unless you're deep into Tyrone fermanagh cavan or monaghan and preferably on high ground

Heres a link to webcams in Antrim that are replayable
    If you click play you'll see a time lapsed recording of the overnight snow and how it was gone by late morning

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/lisburn_united-kingdom_2644411

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I don’t know what your issue is. We had plenty of heavy snow showers yesterday, by evening they had transitioned to heavy graupel.

I had minimum temperature of 0c with the showers being around 0.5c.

There is absolutely no issue with marginality here ok. So stop your trolling.

https://streamable.com/tvhj2s

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow shower in Dublin 16. 7.6c atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Had some birthday drinks last night and when I woke up all the snow had melted :p

Some nice snaps from twitter

1) Claby , Fermanagh
    2) Kilygordon, Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stuff coming onshore north coast rain I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Looks like rain and sleet on the Netweather radar.

There’s nothing fall here but it is snowing above 200 metres.

Snow is evaporating below that.

01uweRm.jpg

Eh? Last time I checked the models we were supposed to be warming up to -2c 850 by that time?

Looks as though colder air flows in from the east after that system heads south.

sH2leqv.png.jpg

Met office for the North for this evening

Northerly winds will bring scattered sleet or snow showers across northern counties and parts of the east coast while it stays dry further south and west. Clear spells will lead to a frost away from the cities. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

After a couple of hours digging in the garden I sat outside in the sunshine and fell asleep. Lovely warm sun on the face.
    South Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    This weekends cold spell is still on track. 850’s won’t be as cold though still acceptable for snow at -8c/-9c. The heights will be lower so potentially more precipitation.

Sunday 9am:
    cswgxxA.jpg

Not bad! (Just as long as it doesn’t divert east in the next day or two)

You wouldn't have any of them there wee charts for the rest of Ireland, like, would ya? Most of us live down here. If not, you should set up your own wee blog for Ulshter...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Think he did that deliberately lol

9.3c currently in Arklow
    Warmest day since Sunday :D
    Humidity is very very low at 34% bringing the dewpoint to -6c
    A few very light hail showers

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Warm??!!
    Nope, not here, come join us in Ulster for a taste of winter ;)

Untithuikled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still no reports of precip type from Ulster? Met radar showing decent bit of precip, I guess it is raining if nothing at all being reported on here?

Still no reports of precip type from Ulster? Met radar showing decent bit of precip, I guess it is raining if nothing at all being reported on here?

It is raining here yes but it’s not warm. Only 3c.

Sleet here.

Snowing at 100 metres

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Sleet here.

The Marine layer is getting well inland now so,not just Limavaddy at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lovely day in the west. All in all, a very typical early April day.

New Moon

• Advertisement

No marine layer at all. The airmass is saturated, as we are in the dividing line between the warm south and cold north.

As the front heads south, the precipitation should turn to snow. As of right now it’s snowing above 100 metres with the occasional flake here.

https://streamable.com/11k821

qfSnpZq.jpg

Very interesting as you drive down in altitude, the snowflakes just suddenly stop falling.

The day the Titanic departed Cork.

ERA_1_1912041112_2.png

Similar pattern to what is forecast for it's 109th anniversary, but look at the extent of cold over the entire Arctic then as compared to now:

ECMOPEU00_120_2.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Car covered in a smattering of frozen snow/graupel this morning. Tullamore area. 225ft asl.
    Nó covering ón ground to speak of.
    The sunshine, albeit accompanied by invisible flying piranha, has been a pleasant surprise.

Is the -9/-10c low predicted for Laois on Friday/Saturday still looking on the cards?

No marine layer at all. The airmass is saturated, as we are in the dividing line between the warm south and cold north.
    Look at the 'Theta-e' charts over the last 24hrs, they warmed quite a bit over the last 24hrs, and will warm further away from the north overnight tonight.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Look at the 'Theta-e' charts over the last 24hrs, they warmed quite a bit over the last 24hrs, and will warm further away from the north overnight tonight.

What is your point? The front that came in an hour or so ago brought in saturated air, once it departs south the drier air will head south.

What is your point? The front that came in another or so ago brought in saturated air, once it departs south the drier air will head south.

That the 'marine layer' (a term I wouldn't use myself) spoken of is very real. Claiming it isn't there as you are doing is wrong.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet and graupel in Dublin 16. 6.4c atm.

What is your point?

Mod Note: Keep CALM!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That the 'marine layer' (a term I wouldn't use myself) spoken of is very real. Claiming it isn't there as you are doing is wrong.

If it’s snowing down to 100 metres it’s hardly a marine layer. It’s just a saturation of the airmass, that raised the wet bulb temp above freezing.

Prior to the precipitation, we had fairly low humidity here.

• Advertisement

The air mass is saturated because it was infiltrated by the marine layer. 2+2=4

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement