Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

30 year average daily max in Mullingar. (sorry, crappy rushed chart)

RGK0Atb.png

broadly speaking, average maxima is around 11c during the first 10 days of the month, 12c during the middle part and 13c during the last 3rd.

Data from Éireann Met.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

lawred2 wrote: »
    when is this exceptionally tedious cold spell going to end?

When the rain comes....

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When the rain comes....

:D

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A very bland week in Cork, cooler yes but not particularly cold, mostly cloudy but not that horrible low cloud, fairly calm too.

You'll take it for the first week of April :)

Most stations in Ulster are 3 to 5c Warmer still than last Monday
    Strong Ocean influence
    Ditto down here in Arklow
    Nothing remarkable so far thankfully
    Hopefully some rain in the showers for most of us

Yours moistly
    Marine Layer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strong Ocean influence

Yours moistly
    Marine Layer

Thanks for nothing, nobody likes you ;)

Cold in Galway today, up from 2c this morning to around 8c, but still has that damp cold feel to it. Really want to get out and tackle the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Most showers missing Ireland.

Satellite looks clear but Met Eireann say showers becoming more widespread in the afternoon.

Is satellite wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Fairly widespread showers popping up now.

EeVJuxbl.png

pauldry wrote: »
    Most showers missing Ireland.

Satellite looks clear but Met Eireann say showers becoming more widespread in the afternoon.

Is satellite wrong

No,its April,so there'll be inland convection as evidenced in the post above
    I'm been seeing some develop near lugnaquilla
    You could see it happen 30 km's inland today and move south with the wintry stuff up on the hills or in the evaporated cooling downpours
    Thanks for nothing, nobody likes you ;)

Cold in Galway today, up from 2c this morning to around 8c, but still has that damp cold feel to it. Really want to get out and tackle the garden!

No problem :D
    Anyway,my other half likes things moist and on that score I'm usually well liked ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Comhra wrote: »
    Fairly widespread showers popping up now.

EeVJuxbl.png

Hailstones

Soft hail shower here near Arklow
    It looks a bit like sleet
    9.2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Costa del Deise lovely today. No wind. Bright if not sunny skies and quite mild.

Oh convection.

Sunny day for Sligo so. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Hailstones

Yes, had a heavy shower of hail earlier here and the sun shining. And another big shower since that moved overhead and fizzled out completely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain, hail, sleet and wet snow shower in Dublin 16. 5.6c atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is there much chance of snow tonight? Not really having much hope during today.

Strong Ocean influence

Yours moistly
    Marine Layer

Think you are exaggerating, it’s about 5c here which is only 1c higher than Monday here.

The difference is that the airmass is saturated raising the rain-snow line.

The other airmass took the same route over the North Atlantic.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Think you are exaggerating, it’s about 5c here which is only 1c higher than Monday here.

The difference is that the airmass is saturated raising the rain-snow line.

The other airmass took the same route over the North Atlantic.

I looked at Wow at the time of the post and saw stations including in Derry and Antrim 3 to 5c higher than last monday at the same time
    Definitely not an exaggeration,its all there in table form
    A strong marine layer effect
    From decades (sadly I'm getting old) of experience -8 or -9c 850's doesnt deliver much in the way of sea level snow from the Alantic
    Least of all in April
    As Oneiric said upthread 2+2=4 on that one

Ummm k..

Anyway got caught in a nice snow shower I will post photos when I get home.

• Advertisement

So the snow has been falling here. The snowline is above 400 metres around 450 metres, at that point it’s melting slowly but being topped up in showers.

I got caught out in a snow shower that brought about cm on the grass.

Before the snow shower
    tXmzgaP.jpg
    lBVx0Gt.jpg

After the snow shower:
    JQZA5Ga.jpg
    ZnyZvW5.jpg
    UzoIQeN.jpg
    K5h4OSi.jpg

https://streamable.com/voyl7u

We might get a covering here tonight you never know.

I looked at Wow at the time of the post and saw stations including in Derry and Antrim 3 to 5c higher than last monday at the same time
    Definitely not an exaggeration,its all there in table form
    A strong marine layer effect
    From decades (sadly I'm getting old) of experience -8 or -9c 850's doesnt deliver much in the way of sea level snow from the Alantic
    Least of all in April
    As Oneiric said upthread 2+2=4 on that one

Perhaps in your area, not here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a covering here tonight.

Still a beautiful day in Sligo.

Yes...April...our sunniest month. What a waste when its only 7degrees

However I rarely look at Met Forecast for these things as they are so localised so by the looks of the satellite there is more shower activity coming to Sligo in the am hours so that could bring hail or snow with it if its 0c or 1c

Perhaps in your area, not here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a covering here tonight.

Ah yeah,the chances of snow at night are always that bit higher but fleeting
    Theres a 927 metre high mountain nearby here and mountains of similar height and higher n Kerry and Tipperary,250 to 300 metres higher than Sawel
    The temperature difference between those peaks and on the coast at sea level can often be 6 or 7c
    Lug has snow on it today,its about a half hour drive,I don't think I've seen it without snow in months
    Those are the places blessed with the most snow on the island and so accessable

Anyway Rain shower here atm
    Currently 6.1c
    Many stations up in the northwest of Ulster are around the same temp,some higher some a degree colder
    2 non typical at around 3c
    Nothing remarkable at all so far

The Dew Point is -3c in Finner and -2c in Sligo

Strange. Could be a surprise in these showers tonight if they penetrate South

Ah yeah,the chances of snow at night are always that bit higher but fleeting
    Theres a 927 metre high mountain nearby here and mountains of similar height and higher n Kerry and Tipperary,250 to 300 metres higher than Sawel
    The temperature difference between those peaks and on the coast at sea level can often be 6 or 7c
    Lug has snow on it today,its about a half hour drive,I don't think I've seen it without snow in months
    Those are the places blessed with the most snow on the island and so accessable

Anyway Rain shower here atm
    Currently 6.1c
    Many stations up in the northwest of Ulster are around the same temp,some higher some a degree colder
    2 non typical at around 3c
    Nothing remarkable at all so far

No, the Sperrins and Mournes (850 metres), possibly the Derryveagh Mountains would have the most snow and the most chance of snow, due to being around 250 miles further north.

The Macgillycuddy's Reeks are rather high in elevation, however, they are in the far south of the island often out of the colder air. So that additional elevation cancels out.

Your comments about temp are untrue.. I have just posted photos of the snow shower we had here.. that’s concrete evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What I don't get is the switching between Aunty Snow and Marine Layer. Anyone else??

What I don't get is the switching between Aunty Snow and Marine Layer. Anyone else??

I'm a subscriber now
    You get what you pay for ;)
    Anyhow larger shower here lasting about 10 mins,all rain
    Currently 5.7c
    1.6mm since morning

No, the Sperrins and Mournes (850 metres), possibly the Derryveagh Mountains would have the most snow and the most chance of snow, due to being around 250 miles further north.

The Macgillycuddy's Reeks are rather high in elevation, however, they are in the far south of the island often out of the colder air. So that additional elevation cancels out.
    Lol
    Your comments about temp are untrue.. I have just posted photos of the snow shower we had here.. that’s concrete evidence.
    My comments on recorded temps today are all based on WoW official and unofficial temps available publically and factually correct
    Never said there wasnt hill snow
    Theres probably more down here after that last shower
    The Leinster radar is quite busy today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Overall a nice sunny day here today. Had a snow flurry earlier but it has been dry since. A sharp frost for April tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement