Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do people actually use Wikipedia as a genuine source? I know it's right a lot of the time, but it's a point of reference at best. IIRC when doing my dissertation, I was strictly told not to have anything linking to Wikipedia or I'd lose marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Do people actually use Wikipedia as a genuine source? I know it's right a lot of the time, but it's a point of reference at best. IIRC when doing my dissertation, I was strictly told not to have anything linking to Wikipedia or I'd lose marks.

it's not an academic level source but if you need an entry level or broad explanation of something it's fine. Usually better for general knowledge stuff like the Nile River or the French revolution then anything political.

Mod

I've just had to action a couple of posts. It should go without saying but if you're getting so worked up about a subject that you resort to name-calling then your posting can hardly be considered lighthearted. Keep it up and I'll have to issue threadbans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope this is light-hearted fun.

image.png

Delta, also opposing voter ID.

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Absolutely nothing to do with the sh1t viewing figures or crap 'comedy'...
    #1 rule of comedy - don't rely on Trump or Brexit, just be original and funny.
    As one wag says: "It wasn't all bad, the bits without Nish were often quite funny."
    The NYT wiping Nish Kumar's tears! LOL

https://twitter.com/KonstantinKisin/status/1379131287525539845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

biko wrote: »
    I hope this is light-hearted fun.

image.png

Delta, also opposing voter ID.

image.jpg
    Eh don't you need a little thing called a passport to fly anyway :D Pretty sure that's ID!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

jaxxx wrote: »
    Eh don't you need a little thing called a passport to fly anyway :D Pretty sure that's ID!! :pac:

Most Americans don't have passports, a very low percentage the last time I read on it, an Americans can fly domestic with a drivers licence which includes Puerto Rico and Hawaii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you need to ask and you've done a dissertation?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1378107052279627776

Too many men at the podium she says.

says the one that got the gig on prime time along with "some other bloke".

Already her petty sexism is seen before a camera rolls in the print time studio

Cordell wrote: »
    Same for fossil fuel and even nuclear fuel, our usage is not sustainable, there's no new oil and uranium forming under there to replenish what we use. So, should we stop using them, meaning we condemn the underdeveloped countries to stay that way, or we roll this can down the road and let the next generations deal with it?

Well we should phase out fossil fuels. Neither oil nor uranium will run out though.
    A lot of rich developed countries can now claim they are going green, but they aren't really, they still use a lot of stuff manufactured overseas, so they just outsourced the problem.

Adding the cost of Chinese manufacturing to the West is a bit unfair unless we are removing the cost of Western manufactured goods exported from the West. Do we do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Adding the cost of Chinese manufacturing to the West is a bit unfair unless we are removing the cost of Western manufactured goods exported from the West. Do we do that?

do we not do this in economics e.g. Ireland exports x amount of products produced to China while china export n amount of products to Ireland

can this not be done with CO2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well we should phase out fossil fuels. Neither oil nor uranium will run out though.
    They will eventually, maybe not in our lifetime but as some point they will.

It's not about being unfair to the chinese, it's about being hypocritical. We pat ourselves on the back because we are so green, but we are so green because we outsourced a lot of the heavy industry.

Elmo wrote: »
    do we not do this in economics e.g. Ireland exports x amount of products produced to China while china export n amount of products to Ireland

can this not be done with CO2?

It would make countries with a trade surplus look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Major League Baseball left Georgia because of the new voter ID laws, and went to Colorado.

Colorado already has voter ID laws...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

biko wrote: »
    Major League Baseball left Georgia because of the new voter ID laws, and went to Colorado.

Colorado already has voter ID laws...

ironically moving from a black area to a white one, costing the former base $100m :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see Imelda May is having to go on the defensive after she took a picture sitting on a traveller cart thing.

https://twitter.com/ImeldaOfficial/status/1379166055432605701

Delighted for her to be getting it as she's one of the woke ones on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

rightmove wrote: »
    says the one that got the gig on prime time along with "some other bloke".

Already her petty sexism is seen before a camera rolls in the print time studio

Says women should be in charge more....has she forgotten who's been minister for education for the past number of months??? Possibly the worst minister ever up there with Shane Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I see Imelda May is having to go on the defensive after she took a picture sitting on a traveller cart thing.

https://twitter.com/ImeldaOfficial/status/1379166055432605701

Delighted for her to be getting it as she's one of the woke ones on Twitter.
    The righteous mob usually eat their own.
    This is inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Says women should be in charge more....has she forgotten who's been minister for education for the past number of months??? Possibly the worst minister ever up there with Shane Ross.

This is the department with pretty much no male teachers or plans to fix this!!! Bunch a deceitful sexist clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So Thandiwe Newton is 'taking her name back'. Seems it was incorrectly spelt wrong on the credits of her first film and instead of correcting it, she just let it go. Until now. Seems we were at fault all along for not knowing the difference between Thandie and Thandiwe, so according to Thandiwe we 'stole' her name.

Our bad.

Her name is of Shona extraction, as she said in this interview with The Guardian on Monday:
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/apr/05/actor-thandiwe-newton-reclaims-original-spelling-of-her-name
    The Emmy award-winning actor was born in London to a white British father, Nick, and a Zimbabwean mother, Nyasha, a princess of the Shona tribe, and the family settled in Penzance, Cornwall, when she was three.

But wait!

As it turns out she got the origin of her name wrong. It isn't Shona, it's Zulu. Seems that's our fault too, as she's been 'separated from her identity' by growing up in the UK.

https://twitter.com/ThandiweNewton/status/1379198357671907331

Our bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I see IMDb has updated her page, and amended every credit with (as Thandie Newton),

I must check Elliot Pages pages....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Yep, its not accepted as a source (in my limited experience). Did a L7 in DCU a few years ago, and in the same lecture we were told Wikipedia is not an acceptable source; and that Wikipedia was considered about 80% correct, while established Encyclopaedic sources were 90% correct. Now those figures aren't accurate,(could have been 80 v 95 or something*) but fact that Wikipedia was only slightly behind amazed me.

(*my powers of recollection are slipping - as attested in another thread this evening :o:D . its probably old age, but sure in my head I'm only 26)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see IMDb has updated her page, and amended every credit with (as Thandie Newton),

I must check Elliot Pages pages....

Phone home....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That one has always been an attention-seeking fairy. I'd say spending even 2 minutes in her company would make you miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Phone home....?

Just checked the old wayback machine, Ellen Page's first credit, for Pit Pony, is listed as (as Ellen Philpotts Page), but that doesn't appear on their current IMDb page....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The righteous mob usually eat their own.
    This is inevitable.
    Reading the tweet thread - the absolute straining to find offence by some, is a mixture of hilarious and baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Celchick wrote: »
    Reading the tweet thread - the absolute straining to find offence by some, is a mixture of hilarious and baffling.

That's not just limited to Twitter! - been numerous mod posts here to tell people to chill out!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Yep, its not accepted as a source (in my limited experience). Did a L7 in DCU a few years ago, and in the same lecture we were told Wikipedia is not an acceptable source; and that Wikipedia was considered about 80% correct, while established Encyclopaedic sources were 90% correct. Now those figures aren't accurate,(could have been 80 v 95 or something*) but fact that Wikipedia was only slightly behind amazed me.

(*my powers of recollection are slipping - as attested in another thread this evening :o:D . its probably old age, but sure in my head I'm only 26)

Wikipedia ig a good starting point sometimes, whilst it is not accepted as a reputable source the citations within the page can save you time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement