Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Wallander wrote: »
    Many close contacts of Covid cases in Ireland are obviously disregarding instructions to quarantine, otherwise infection rates would be at much lower levels after three months of hard lockdown.

How come we can trust Irish close contacts to do the right thing but we shouldn't trust those who have travelled?

Or they share a bedroom, house or apartment and cannot reasonably self isolate and stay afloat financially. Could be lots of reasons. Do you think the fella that delivers your takeaways for Deliveroo is living in a detached house in Dalkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

volchitsa wrote: »
    We're all paying for this, and will be for years to come. If the family didn't pay for it, that'd be yet more for taxpayers to pay, that's all.

The family have had their room upgraded to a suite. So who is the fool now?? Yes, that would be you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Wallander wrote: »

How come we can trust Irish close contacts to do the right thing but we shouldn't trust those who have travelled?

It makes sense that they'd have some qualms about infecting their family friends and more likely to obey quarantine. Others who aren't local mighn't have the same concerns.
    Human nature I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

basill wrote: »
    Or they share a bedroom, house or apartment and cannot reasonably self isolate and stay afloat financially. Could be lots of reasons. Do you think the fella that delivers your takeaways for Deliveroo is living in a detached house in Dalkey?

He doesn't so the same logic applies if he is a close contact. If he has just returned from his home country and has a negative PCR test prior to travel, how does that make him a bigger risk than if he has been taking food into apartment blocks in Dublin all day and getting coughed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

theguzman wrote: »
    What is your problem against Brazilians? Brazil is refusing (rightly so) to implement such foolishness on its people, the President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro a true strongman leader who is adored by tens of millions in Brazil and he is keeping the economy of Brazil powering along, almost 900 million people globally are heavily dependent on Brazil for food imports and if Brazil were to implement such collective-masochism as Ireland is doing now it would trigger a global famine of absolute biblical proportions. Brazil is larger than the contiguous United States with over 210million people, it is one of the worlds largest food exporters exporting over $100bn worth of food each year.

The problem with Covid in Ireland is the absolute disgrace of a healthcare system and how corrupt Politicians and trade Unions have destroyed it. So take your xenophobia and blame game and try it somewhere else.

Hahahaha!
    You have come out with a some classics on these threads.
    "the President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro a true strongman leader"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

basill wrote: »

Why would he need to live in a detached house? Why would he need to live in Dalkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's wrongful imprisonment by a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration.

"Wrongful imprisonment by a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration"

Jesus wept.:rolleyes: Listen chief if you were living in a country with a totalitarian administration you would know all about it and this country is not even remotely close to being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

paw patrol wrote: »
    they are being fleeced for 5k for the privilege of satisfying your concerns over the deadliest disease ever.
    I'd imagine a family could put that money to better use.

It's easy to dish out the sneers when it isnt you holed up there and fcuking paying for it

It was their choice to come home though. They knew there was a possibility that this was coming in and they'd have to quarantine. Its 2 weeks in a hotel. They'll be grand.
    Your outrage for them is sad. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice if it was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's wrongful imprisonment by a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration.

It’s morally bankrupt to put in restrictions to keep people healthy, alive and well. Right. :pac:

Morally bankrupt are the people who fight and don’t adhere to restrictions and who travelled here and there... and who couldn’t give a fućk about anybody’s health or being team players... that’s morally bankrupt, you can’t see that then...;)

Next you’ll be arguing it’s morally bankrupt to have other restrictions, such as speed limits on roads, to prohibit theft from shops, you’ll be telling us if someone needs something they should take it... nahhh that’s morally bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I just asked you did you read what you quoted and I now have to ask you did you read the content of the hyperlink.

"The couple have moved back to Ireland this weekend after spending seven years working abroad. They have a home in Easkey in County Sligo and they had intended to move in immediately on their arrival in Ireland."

If I had a loved one on a cancer ward - assuming that is where she is going to work - I’d be asking serious questions about her mentality in relation to the protection of high risk vulnerable patients and her ability to keep them safe by her personal commitment to and off site observation of the basic rules and principles of quarrentine.

• Advertisement

If I had a loved one on a cancer ward - assuming that is where she is going to work - I’d be asking serious questions about her mentality in relation to the protection of high risk vulnerable patients and her ability to keep them safe by her personal commitment to and off site observation of the basic rules and principles of quarrentine.
    Do you think she will be going directly in to an ICU ward the day after arriving back from Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you think she will be going directly in to an ICU ward the day after arriving back from Australia?

Sure she'd be in quarantine. She wouldn't be allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

What did the 3 actually do? Was it just walk out the main door? Down a fire escape? Oceans 11 shenanigans? I haven't actually read anything telling me how they got out. And can we have a pictuer of the one who is still out.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    What did the 3 actually do? Was it just walk out the main door? Down a fire escape? Oceans 11 shenanigans? I haven't actually read anything telling me how they got out. And can we have a pictuer of the one who is still out.

The cctv will be on Crimecall tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

CosmicFool wrote: »
    It was their choice to come home though. They knew there was a possibility that this was coming in and they'd have to quarantine. Its 2 weeks in a hotel. They'll be grand.
    Your outrage for them is sad. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice if it was you.

If my post is considered outrage...you've led a sheltered life.
    My "outrage" is merely commenting on the unfairness of the situation. I'm fortunate that apart from my wife and kids i don't need anybody to "think" of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

I was talking to a Polish friend about this today and she thought it was hilarious. In Poland during the first lockdown her parents were here and just made it back before travel was banned altogether but they had to self isolate at home and their equivalent to the Gardai there knocked on their door every day to make sure they were in and also text at other random times and they had to reply with a picture of them at home.

Now that's the way to run it. I know we don't have enough Gardai probably but if we're paying for private security at this hotel and using the defence forces maybe they could have used them?

At the same time I think the hotel quarantine is a good idea in one sense in that it will discourage people for travelling just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Beatty69 wrote: »
    I was talking to a Polish friend about this today and she thought it was hilarious. In Poland during the first lockdown her parents were here and just made it back before travel was banned altogether but they had to self isolate at home and their equivalent to the Gardai there knocked on their door every day to make sure they were in and also text at other random times and they had to reply with a picture of them at home.

Now that's the way to run it. I know we don't have enough Gardai probably but if we're paying for private security at this hotel and using the defence forces maybe they could have used them?

At the same time I think the hotel quarantine is a good idea in one sense in that it will discourage people for travelling just for the craic.

There should be heaps of private security guys available to work since pubs and clubs closed one would think?

There should be heaps of private security guys available to work since pubs and clubs closed one would think?

Reminds me of that "Hired goons" bit the Simpsons did

Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

So what if they were gypsies. They were most likely Slovak. Should they be detained for being gypsies?

The point being that the virus is rampant amongst the roma and Irish traveller community. Ive nothing against them, so less of the click bait Mr Squirrel.

Ive friends in the medical field who at the coal face/ front line.

So why you so defensive? Chillax

• Advertisement

What is your problem against Brazilians? Brazil is refusing (rightly so) to implement such foolishness on its people, the President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro a true strongman leader who is adored by tens of millions in Brazil and he is keeping the economy of Brazil powering along, almost 900 million people globally are heavily dependent on Brazil for food imports and if Brazil were to implement such collective-masochism as Ireland is doing now it would trigger a global famine of absolute biblical proportions. Brazil is larger than the contiguous United States with over 210million people, it is one of the worlds largest food exporters exporting over $100bn worth of food each year.

The problem with Covid in Ireland is the absolute disgrace of a healthcare system and how corrupt Politicians and trade Unions have destroyed it. So take your xenophobia and blame game and try it somewhere else.

Because the B117 variant is rampant in Brazil.

I've absolutely nothing against Brazilians, if you dont like Ireland or living here no one is stopping you from leaving.

Whats with the lecturing behaviour? I made a point , its valid, your welcome to disagree and Im welcome to disagree with your opinions also.

Btw it was a Brazilian national who told me this that works on contract ,he was surprised at how laid back it was upon arrival into Ireland in January.

Try googling thousands of Brazilians arriving into Ireland in January in the national media and its well reported and in the public domain, its no secret.

Best of luck.

Do you work for the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Saw a clip on bbc the other night of Brazilians being buried in mass graves. 200 million plus citizens and the President thinks the vulnerable and old are expendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A complete and utter scumbag, but like Trump, some on this site are inexplicably queueing up to kiss his ass

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Latest on hotel quarantine now is that two women who had travelled to Dubai during Level 5 restrictions have been arrested for refusing to go into quarantine upon their return to Dublin yesterday. They both said they were single mothers and had no one to look after their children at home so couldnt go into quarantine. Which begs the question as to who was looking after the children while they were in Dubai. RTE also reported that they were in Dubai to get boob jobs.
    Two women who refused to go into hotel quarantine after arriving home from Dubai have been remanded in custody with consent to bail. One of the bail conditions is that they present themselves for hotel quarantine at a State approved facility immediately upon their release.

Kirstie McGrath, 30, of St Anthony's Road, Rialto in Dublin, was arrested at Dublin Airport at 2.50pm yesterday afternoon. Garda Robbie Barber of Dublin Airport Garda Station gave evidence to Judge Miriam Walsh of being called to Terminal 2 at 1pm. He said he engaged with Ms McGrath and explained to her in plain language the consequences of refusing to go into quarantine. He said he gave her plenty of opportunities to make phone calls and to consider the matter before arresting her and bringing her to Ballymun Garda Station. She has been charged with resisting going into mandatory quarantine under the Health Act 2021.

Niamh Mulready, 25, of Scarlet Row, Essex Street West in Dublin, was also arrested at Dublin Airport at 2.50pm. Garda Karl Carroll gave evidence of being called to Terminal 2 at 1pm and of engaging with her and warning her of the consequences of refusing to go into quarantine. She has been charged with breach of the quarantine regulations under the Health Act 2021.

Inspector Luke Lacey of the Airport Garda Station objected to bail on behalf of the State saying it would make a mockery of legislation brought in to protect the State from new variants of coronavirus.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0403/1207737-courts-quarantine/

The judge has given them bail but only on condition that they pay 2,000 each into an account as a bond AND that they present themselves at the hotel to start their 2 weeks quarantine. If they dont present then the cops will pick them up for breaking the bail conditions and put them in prison. So their choice now is a 2 week stay for 1,900 euro in the hotel or a stay in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

They should go for prison. They'll be out in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't it great that Lone Parent's Allowance is so generous.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

To do what, tackle them to the ground if they try to leave? Why not get prison guards, that's what youre describing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To do what, tackle them to the ground if they try to leave? Why not get prison guards, that's what youre describing

Sure might as well put electrified collars and leper bells on their neck too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Spot on! If we had zero cases, or R well below 1 and a contracting system in place, I could understand the hype about this.

But as of right now, we’re not contract tracing the community cases properly, instead we’re all getting incensed about a family who have come from a zero covid part of the world and have tested negative.

I don't think the UAE have zero covid

Advertisement