Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Oh leave the bleeding heart liberal alone. They have already uttered the immortal Joe Duffy line ‘would ya think of de childerren’.

Of course God forbid this be said to the parents who dragged them from a healthy covid free environment , nor to the people who are obeying the rules and protecting their children and families by keeping them safe.

there’s always a whinger banging on about someone elses rights - usually someone who is breaking the law and putting other peoples lives and livliehoods at risk.

I’d like to see this guy who allegedly crossed back over the border extradited and prosecuted - a big 10k fine should keep me happy. Hopefully he’ll have to sell his car or remortgage his house to pay it.

If they are allowed walk free it’s a total farce.

Even the way you write, examples emboldened, shows the utter futility of engaging with you. Like many on this thread, you resort to petty insults when anybody disagrees with your wild rants.

As another poster already pointed out, the pandemic has really brought out the worst in people and the attitudes of many here typify that.

I hope none of you people are ever in need of the sympathy of strangers.

I'm done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

yabadabado wrote: »
    I see that 2 of the 3 people who left the quarantine hotel have been located.
    What happens now ,they just start off from day one again or is there any consequences?

Yes. Hopefully a large fine/and/or jail time for them.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I read that foreigners arriving in Shanghai are put up in a 5* hotel, at their own expense, like here. I don't know what the Crowne Plaza is like but if the rooms are tiny, maybe a second hotel that's top of the range should also be available if people can pay for it?

Last March, anyone arriving into Shanghai was put in a hotel at their own expense. There was no economy class hotel, luck of the draw, same price for everyone. You could get a nice place or a kip. Same price.

I don't think anyone flying in from Dubai is short of a few quid.

I don't think anyone flying in from Dubai is short of a few quid.
    People transit through Dubai.

People transit through Dubai.

That doesn't negate my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

acequion wrote: »
    Even the way you write, examples emboldened, shows the utter futility of engaging with you. Like many on this thread, you resort to petty insults when anybody disagrees with your wild rants.

As another poster already pointed out, the pandemic has really brought out the worst in people and the attitudes of many here typify that.

I'm done here.

After reading most of vour hyberboiic hysterical "totalitarian restrictions" nonsense posts I see that you then have the brass neck to accuse others of indulging in wild rants. Jesus wept.:rolleyes: About time for you to "look in the mirror" chief.

That doesn't negate my point.
    but it does.

“It is very unfair that a nurse and a truck driver have to pay more than €5,000 of a hotel bill just because our plane landed in Dubai on the way to Dublin."

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/irish-mother-in-quarantine-renews-appeal-for-family-to-be-released-from-unsuitable-hotel-rooms-40246416.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm done here.

Save your worthless left wing sympathy for the victims of covid - not those and their families whinging and trying to break the rules and out everybodies lifes at risk not to mention the economy and our way of life we all want to get back to. I hear there’s a go-fund me for Margaret Cash and her husband - the one who terrorised that elderly pensioner in Bray and told he would cut off her fingers if she did not give him her wedding ring. Should suit your sympathies nicely. I think their 7 ‘homeless’ kids would like another pony too - you can read all about it in the sun.

Poor diddums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

"Others of your kind" "Bitter"

Take a look a look in the mirror there pal. I don't think the one who said that they feel for others and have sympathy is the bitter one.

And whoever the "others of your kind" are?? People who feel sympathy perhaps?You're running out of ideas now it seems and resorting to petty insults.

Are you going to tell us what your plan is as you think quarantine is so morally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

PCR test on entry where you have spent more than an hour or two outside an airport terminal from high risk countries with self-isolation in your own home or place of your choosing following by further tests in subsequent days with self-isolation lifted if tests pass like any other country which respects the rights of citizens.

You can't trust people to self isolate. It's been tried and failed. I know a few people who had to self isolate and oy did it for a few days. Having a negative pcr test is great before you fly but you know you can contact it during your travels right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Valhallapt wrote: »
    What crime have the children being interned been tried and convicted of?

Having a birthday without a license

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

PCR test on entry where you have spent more than an hour or two outside an airport terminal from high risk countries with self-isolation in your own home or place of your choosing following by further tests in subsequent days with self-isolation lifted if tests pass like any other country which respects the rights of citizens.

That's what they did. I followed it scrupulously but nobody knows that or checked up on me, and many people didn't bother (I know several). It doesn't work if everybody doesn't follow it.

This woman wasn't planning on following it either, she was planning a birthday celebration for her daughter. Somehow it doesn't seem like she meant just at home with the 5 of them.

volchitsa wrote: »
    That's what they did. I followed it scrupulously but nobody knows that or checked up on me, and many people didn't bother (I know several). It doesn't work if everybody doesn't follow it.
    It is a fundamental principle that you don't punish innocent parties for the crimes of others.
    There is a long distance between self-regulation and mass oppression of the populous and you have choosing to champion mass oppression of the population before looking at anything in between.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Having a negative pcr test is great before you fly but you know you can contact it during your travels right?
    you didn't read the whole of the sentence which you quoted.

but it does.

“It is very unfair that a nurse and a truck driver have to pay more than €5,000 of a hotel bill just because our plane landed in Dubai on the way to Dublin."

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/irish-mother-in-quarantine-renews-appeal-for-family-to-be-released-from-unsuitable-hotel-rooms-40246416.html

You forgot to include the paragraph above:

“We lived the last five years in Perth which was the safest place in the world as it only had one case of Covid in the past year and that case was in a quarantine hotel.

So why the flip are they coming here? And why now?!?

March 11th 2020 my friend flew back to Shangai and was put in a quarantine hotel, and got charged for it when she left. She had no notice, they decided they were doing it while she was in the air. They've been talking about it here in Ireland for weeks, if not months, it has now happened for people coming from "only" 33 countries.

I have zero sympathy for these people from the article.

Doesn’t work. PCR testing is only a snapshot in time and can give false negatives/positives.
    Mandatory quarantine respects the right of all citizens by protecting citizens from the virus and/or new strains being imported.

So why the flip are they coming here? And why now?!?
    I just asked you did you read what you quoted and I now have to ask you did you read the content of the hyperlink.

"The couple have moved back to Ireland this weekend after spending seven years working abroad. They have a home in Easkey in County Sligo and they had intended to move in immediately on their arrival in Ireland."

tom1ie wrote: »
    Doesn’t work. PCR testing is only a snapshot in time and can give false negatives/positives.
    Mandatory quarantine respects the right of all citizens by protecting citizens from the virus and/or new strains being imported.
    The humanitarian rights of the individual citizen are not subordinate to those society in general.

...and a sequence of PCR tests over a number of days should be reliable enough to confirm someone isn't infected; that takes care of your "a test is just snapshot" justification for oppression of the populace.

I just asked you did you read what you quoted and I now have to ask you did you read the content of the hyperlink.

"The couple have moved back to Ireland this weekend after spending seven years working abroad. They have a home in Easkey in County Sligo and they had intended to move in immediately on their arrival in Ireland."

Which doesn't answer the question, why the fu(k are they coming here now?

I have zero sympathy for these people
    Therein lies the problem. You feel you have an excuse for your callousness.

• Advertisement

At some stage one needs to begin carrying on one's life rather than operating in a permanent holding patter.

When we are in lockdown 5, when rates are high, why, dafuq, are they travelling from the safest place on earth - their own words, to here?

Can you let me in on the secret not covered in the article?

When we are in lockdown 5, when rates are high, why, dafuq, are they travelling from the safest place on earth - their own words, to here?

Can you let me in on the secret not covered in the article?
    You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week.

Ironically last March, when I returned from a trip to Namibia (highly symptomatic too) I was (or was I really?) expecting some kind of a bit of palaver on arrival into Dublin Airport. I was breathless, running a fever, nobody to report to. I had just returned from a very poor country which had set up a field hospital at their airport and was disinfecting toilets before and after every use, spraying the seats of cafes etc etc. All there was in Dublin Airport were a few lassies handing out leaflets in the arrivals hall. Then I went to pho e the out of hours GP service and was asked "what were you expecting g us to do for you?' , to which I replied that I thought I was taking responsible action by reporting it. Was told no real protocols in place.

To add to that I reported on a private medical support group on FB about my experience of Covid response in Ireland and was immediately contacted by the Admin who had firstly been contacted by the chief public health nurse of Namibia who saw my post. I ended up gladly giving her full details of my movements, hotels, pubs, restaurants etc. I was then contacted by the lovely guide from my trip who told me that all the folk I had encountered were now quarantining, not all in hotels, but they were having to account for themselves. The country was taking the threat extremely seriously indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Maybe they get the chance to sue for unlawful prisoning or something. Get loads of money and head back to Australia.

Maybe they get the chance to sue for unlawful prisoning or something. Get loads of money and head back to Australia.
    Why are you trying to depict a Nurse who tends to the sick in such a manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week.
    You can't 100 percent say they won't be affected, or they don't have underlying conditions....people can be asymptomatic....if they don't self isolate they could easily pass on to someone more vulnerable...you know while popping out for a birthday cake or something...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why are you trying to depict a Nurse who tends to the sick in such a manner?

So why are they coming here now? It's lovely money to earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Save your worthless left wing sympathy for the victims of covid - not those and their families whinging and trying to break the rules and out everybodies lifes at risk not to mention the economy and our way of life we all want to get back to. I hear there’s a go-fund me for Margaret Cash and her husband - the one who terrorised that elderly pensioner in Bray and told he would cut off her fingers if she did not give him her wedding ring. Should suit your sympathies nicely. I think their 7 ‘homeless’ kids would like another pony too - you can read all about it in the sun.

Poor diddums.

You seriously want to calm down or you will give yourself heart failure. You really are rambling like a mad man or woman. Nobody is going on about Margaret Cash etc only yourself. And saying I'm left wing. I'm against MHQ. Last time I checked the left in Ireland is very much pro. Or maybe you'll come back now and accuse me of being a Gemma. Whatever floats your boat I guess.:rolleyes:

But seriously, the level of hatred and anger on this thread is palpable. So you guys want an echo chamber to indulge your hatred of that family or the escapees or anyone you deem to be in breach of your precious restrictions. Fine have your echo chamber. There is zero point trying to chat, debate or appeal to your better natures.

• Advertisement

The humanitarian rights of the individual citizen are not subordinate to those society in general.

...and a sequence of PCR tests over a number of days should be reliable enough to confirm someone isn't infected; that takes care of your "a test is just snapshot" justification for oppression of the populace.

How do you propose to do this sequence of PCR testing over a number of days and at the same time make sure the person in question is not walking around interacting with people just in case?

Quarantine by any chance?

Advertisement