Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

acequion wrote: »
    You seriously want to calm down or you will give yourself heart failure. You really are rambling like a mad man or woman. Nobody is going on about Margaret Cash etc only yourself. And saying I'm left wing. I'm against MHQ. Last time I checked the left in Ireland is very much pro. Or maybe you'll come back now and accuse me of being a Gemma. Whatever floats your boat I guess.:rolleyes:

But seriously, the level of hatred and anger on this thread is palpable. So you guys want an echo chamber to indulge your hatred of that family or the escapees or anyone you deem to be in breach of your precious restrictions. Fine have your echo chamber. There is zero point trying to chat, debate or appeal to your better natures.

Any chance giving us this plan of yours?

So why are they coming here now? It's lovely money to earn.
    Why don't you start from a position where you don't assume everyone is as mean spirited as you and then speculate as to the reasons for these Ex-Pats wishing to return to Ireland with their family then see if you reach the same conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

So 3 people with negative tests have absconded and everyone lunges for the panic button to locate them.

Meanwhile 629 people actually tested positive yesterday, the whereabouts of whom we do not know nor is there any actual legal requirement for them to stay home. We just hope they do.

Did Mr. Bean think up this one?

What an absolute farce, how embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

tom1ie wrote: »
    Any chance giving us this plan of yours?

You seriously think I'll take your bait? Sorry but I'm off to chat with more rational folk.

You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week.

You do know if they were infected and weren’t in quarantine they could spread it to others.
    That’s kinda the whole point of quarantine ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Which doesn't answer the question, why the fu(k are they coming here now?

Presumably it's not something they decided last month.

Emigrating (or immigrating) your family to the other side of the world would likely have been an 18-month plan. There would have been lots to try to co-ordinate - house sales or expiry of rental leases on the Perth side & organising accommodation on this side, finishing their employment in Oz then organising work in Ireland, issues with organising schools and such-like.

It's the sort of thing where once you've set the ball rolling it's not very easy to put a stop to it. It's not as simple as deciding to stay in Perth another month or two and then coming home. Deciding to abandon the plans say last July may have committed them to another 2 years in Oz (depending on the stage of the kids education and other factors). Deciding to abandon the plans in the last few months may well have been impossible.

To an extent they've been unlucky, if their timetable had been a week advanced then there wouldn't have been an issue.

Her attitude isn't great though, which isn't helping to engender sympathy.

How do you propose to do this sequence of PCR testing over a number of days and at the same time make sure the person in question is not walking around interacting with people just in case?

Quarantine by any chance?
    You have seen people going to drive through test centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week.

I’m always amazed how people can make statements like this so authoritatively despite them not having a clue if what they’re saying is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Should we hire bladerunners to hunt them down?

This is how preposterous Ireland has become in 2021..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why don't you start from a position where you don't assume everyone is as mean spirited as you and then speculate as to the reasons for these Ex-Pats wishing to return to Ireland with their family then see if you reach the same conclusion.

They have a horrible, entitled attitude. I wouldn't put it past them.

• Advertisement

h2005 wrote: »
    I’m always amazed how people can make statements like this so authoritatively despite them not having a clue if what they’re saying is true.
    You have proof that the Corona virus is not actually a relatively mild illness for the overwhelming majority of people in non-risk groups. If you do, you'll need to share it with the WHO.

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488694375e018a117299c116138996c04ab61023001f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

They have a horrible, entitled attitude. I wouldn't put it past them.
    Righteousness is often dismissed as something more negative when it is convenient to depict it in that fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

You have proof that the Corona virus is not actually a relatively mild illness for the overwhelming majority of people in non-risk groups. If you do, you'll need to share it with the WHO.

What are you on about? I’m not the one making blanket statements with 0 ability to back it up.

h2005 wrote: »
    What are you on about? I’m not the one making blanket statements with 0 ability to back it up.
    This is the statement which sticks in your craw:
    "You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1123heavy wrote: »
    So 3 people with negative tests have absconded and everyone lunges for the panic button to locate them.

Meanwhile 629 people actually tested positive yesterday, the whereabouts of whom we do not know nor is there any actual legal requirement for them to stay home. We just hope they do.

Seriously? Over a year into this and you aren't aware of the legal requirement to isolate after testing positive?

The tone of your posts conveys a sense of incredulity that this may be so. In that case, a little googling might have prevented you from posting such a silly, and untrue, claim.

How embarrassing is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Spot on! If we had zero cases, or R well below 1 and a contracting system in place, I could understand the hype about this.

But as of right now, we’re not contract tracing the community cases properly, instead we’re all getting incensed about a family who have come from a zero covid part of the world and have tested negative.

You have seen people going to drive through test centres?

How do you make sure they do this?

acequion wrote: »
    You seriously think I'll take your bait? Sorry but I'm off to chat with more rational folk.

So you have no plan and just came on here to try and wind up the majority of people.
    Whatever your into.

This is the statement which sticks in your craw:
    "You do understand that that young family are not in a risk group and if infected on their return would be well again within the space of a week."

Could the young family spread c19 to others if they were infected?

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Spot on! If we had zero cases, or R well below 1 and a contracting system in place, I could understand the hype about this.

But as of right now, we’re not contract tracing the community cases properly, instead we’re all getting incensed about a family who have come from a zero covid part of the world and have tested negative.

I don’t see what the issue is tbh.
    They want to come back to Ireland that’s great.
    They are obeying the law by partaking in mandatory quarantine so it’s all good.
    Fair enough they’re giving out but I’m sure it’s not the nicest experience.
    They knew what they would have to go through to get back to Ireland.

Could the young family spread c19 to others if they were infected?
    If you want to explode the risk to absurd levels anything is possible but seeing as they are coming from a safe country then the risk is too low to be measurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It is a fundamental principle that you don't punish innocent parties for the crimes of others.
    There is a long distance between self-regulation and mass oppression of the populous and you have choosing to champion mass oppression of the population before looking at anything in between.

Rubbish, the laws acts or should act as a deterrent to all.. people are not being punished, people ARE being held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Strumms wrote: »
    Rubbish, the laws acts or should act as a deterrent to all.. people are not being punished, people ARE being held to account.
    Double rubbish. If you are deprived of your freedom for no legitimate reason it doesn't matter if the location is either a Hotel or a low security Prison.
    In a German Federal State just over a month ago a curfew which denied people of their freedoms was overturned as it deprived people of their civil liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

sonofenoch wrote: »
    A nurse returning from a place that's had 1 covid case in a year if forced to quarantine despite a negative test? .....how many of the 1000's of Brazilians flying in will get the same treatment, how very Irish

All travelers from Brazil face the same, whether Brazilian or Irish.

Either support it or don't - nationality / career / time spent somewhere makes no odds.

I'm against all mandatory hotel quarantine - I'd bet any money it will have absolutely no effect on case numbers or variants getting in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In a German Federal State just over a month ago a curfew which denied people of their freedoms was overturned as it deprived people of their civil liberties.

That hasn't happened here.

Unless/until it is successfully challenged, it remains the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭bloopy

I'm guessing the Fugitive has not been caught yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bloopy wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Fugitive has not been caught yet?

That'll founder on the rock of learned helplessness between the authorities on either side of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

sonofenoch wrote: »
    A nurse returning from a place that's had 1 covid case in a year if forced to quarantine despite a negative test? .....how many of the 1000's of Brazilians flying in will get the same treatment, how very Irish

2,000 Brazilians returned to Ireland in January after visiting their respective families for Christmas.

No quarantine, no control, just the passenger locator form and one or two questions from our front line protectors Dept. of Justice Immigration Officers and in Brazil the B117 variant is rampant.

I saw last August on a flight from Bratislava to Dublin with Ryanair no one detained at Immigration, 75% of the flight was full of roma gypsies.

Advertisement