Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Seriously? Over a year into this and you aren't aware of the legal requirement to isolate after testing positive?

The tone of your posts conveys a sense of incredulity that this may be so. In that case, a little googling might have prevented you from posting such a silly, and untrue, claim.

How embarrassing is right!

Ah yes, because we have the defense forces and Gardai resources going into enforcing stay home orders for positive cases don't we? We trace the movements of every positive case right? It makes headline news when a positive case steps outside their front door, correct?

Meanwhile people with NEGATIVE TESTS are locked up like they have the plague of black death and muppets support this.

No wonder we have such an idiotic government with people like you voting them in no doubt, we get what we deserve in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I hope instead of 12 days in a hotel, it's 12 months in prison now

I hope they either close all borders, quarantine all flights, or none at all.

Current implementation is eye rollingly bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

kravmaga wrote: »
    2,000 Brazilians returned to Ireland in January after visiting their respective families for Christmas.

No quarantine, no control, just the passenger locator form and one or two questions from our front line protectors Dept. of Justice Immigration Officers and in Brazil the B117 variant is rampant.

I saw last August on a flight from Bratislava to Dublin with Ryanair no one detained at Immigration, 75% of the flight was full of roma gypsies.

So what if they were gypsies. They were most likely Slovak. Should they be detained for being gypsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Double rubbish. If you are deprived of your freedom for no legitimate reason it doesn't matter if the location is either a Hotel or a low security Prison.
    In a German Federal State just over a month ago a curfew which denied people of their freedoms was overturned as it deprived people of their civil liberties.

So, by your rubbish logic, anybody should be able to do other potentially unsafe things, like go for a walk down the M50... I’ve news, that will put the health, safety and wellbeing at risk of yourself and fellow motorists.... so, it’s illegal.

Quarantine, is keeping people well, healthy, safe and alive.. just like restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thats what I just can't fathom. For heavens sake stay in Australia if you're there, at the moment. Even if a parent was dieing, I'm sure that parent would say "For heavens sake stay in Australia".

Yep I had that conversation with my folks already, they said it’s not worth hassle of coming home for a funeral that only 10 can attend and nothing is open when I have my own family to think of.

But on returning it’s worth pointing out not everyone can stay in Australia, the majority of Irish people only qualify for temporary visas which have an expiry date and some choose to not extend as they have to pay for services like school fees, child care etc that citizens don’t they are also restricted on buying property and getting finance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

kravmaga wrote: »
    2,000 Brazilians returned to Ireland in January after visiting their respective families for Christmas.

No quarantine, no control, just the passenger locator form and one or two questions from our front line protectors Dept. of Justice Immigration Officers and in Brazil the B117 variant is rampant.

I saw last August on a flight from Bratislava to Dublin with Ryanair no one detained at Immigration, 75% of the flight was full of roma gypsies.

What is your problem against Brazilians? Brazil is refusing (rightly so) to implement such foolishness on its people, the President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro a true strongman leader who is adored by tens of millions in Brazil and he is keeping the economy of Brazil powering along, almost 900 million people globally are heavily dependent on Brazil for food imports and if Brazil were to implement such collective-masochism as Ireland is doing now it would trigger a global famine of absolute biblical proportions. Brazil is larger than the contiguous United States with over 210million people, it is one of the worlds largest food exporters exporting over $100bn worth of food each year.

The problem with Covid in Ireland is the absolute disgrace of a healthcare system and how corrupt Politicians and trade Unions have destroyed it. So take your xenophobia and blame game and try it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1123heavy wrote: »
    Ah yes, because we have the defense forces and Gardai resources going into enforcing stay home orders for positive cases don't we? We trace the movements of every positive case right? It makes headline news when a positive case steps outside their front door, correct?

Meanwhile people with NEGATIVE TESTS are locked up like they have the plague of black death and muppets support this.

No wonder we have such an idiotic government with people like you voting them in no doubt, we get what we deserve in that regard.

You are making an assumption that they have negative tests. One of the reasons to be sent to quarantine is that you do not have an acceptable test result. There is a daily rate for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

theguzman wrote: »
    What is your problem against Brazilians? Brazil is refusing (rightly so) to implement such foolishness on its people, the President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro a true strongman leader who is adored by tens of millions in Brazil and he is keeping the economy of Brazil powering along, almost 900 million people globally are heavily dependent on Brazil for food imports and if Brazil were to implement such collective-masochism as Ireland is doing now it would trigger a global famine of absolute biblical proportions. Brazil is larger than the contiguous United States with over 210million people, it is one of the worlds largest food exporters exporting over $100bn worth of food each year.

The problem with Covid in Ireland is the absolute disgrace of a healthcare system and how corrupt Politicians and trade Unions have destroyed it. So take your xenophobia and blame game and try it somewhere else.

That's some shite about Bolsonaro and Brazil.

Lula was cleared of corruption charges about a week ago and Bolsonaro immediately tempered his crocodile bull****. I think I read that he even started wearing masks

There was a good interview on RTE 1 radio yesterday about the absolute fuck ups in Brazil in relation to vaccines which they refused to buy and are now frantically trying to get supplies. Brazil has a fantastic vaccine infrastructure. Due to political stupidity, they just don't have the vaccines at the minute

The problem with Covid in Ireland is the absolute disgrace of a healthcare system and how corrupt Politicians and trade Unions have destroyed it.
    Agreed. Everyone but the Health Service Bureacracy is being blamed.
    There was always similar spend in proportion to GDP as France or Germany.
    Health Service Bureacracy don't want people to discover how deficient Irish Health Service is(This is not a criticism of frontline staff).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Seems to be an utopia where you moved to and continue to post here complaining about Ireland and the health care system.

Now in real life is this the price to pay to get a haircut or a meal in a restaurant?

"More than a year into the pandemic, deaths in Brazil are at their peak and highly contagious variants of the coronavirus are sweeping the nation, enabled by political dysfunction, widespread complacency and conspiracy theories. The country, whose leader, President Jair Bolsonaro, has played down the threat of the virus, is now reporting more new cases and deaths per day than any other country in the world.

“We have never seen a failure of the health system of this magnitude,” said Ana de Lemos, the executive director of Doctors Without Borders in Brazil. “And we don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/27/world/americas/virus-brazil-bolsonaro.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

bloopy wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Fugitive has not been caught yet?

Not yet although Marshall Gerard is on his trail so it shouldn`t be too long before he is apprehended and brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

acequion wrote: »
    You seriously want to calm down or you will give yourself heart failure. You really are rambling like a mad man or woman. Nobody is going on about Margaret Cash etc only yourself. And saying I'm left wing. I'm against MHQ. Last time I checked the left in Ireland is very much pro. Or maybe you'll come back now and accuse me of being a Gemma. Whatever floats your boat I guess.:rolleyes:

But seriously, the level of hatred and anger on this thread is palpable. So you guys want an echo chamber to indulge your hatred of that family or the escapees or anyone you deem to be in breach of your precious restrictions. Fine have your echo chamber. There is zero point trying to chat, debate or appeal to your better natures.

Be careful when getting off that high horse of yours chief. It`s a long way to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

So who is responsible for detaining them? Cos detention is what quarantine means.

No. No it does not. They aren't being imprisoned.

For that family of 5 returning from Australia they could have been quarantined in their home but instead they must spend two weeks detained in a Hotel.
    It is possible to quarantine much more inexpensively and humanely than the manner proscribed by Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

For that family of 5 returning from Australia they could have been quarantined in their home but instead they must spend two weeks detained in a Hotel.
    It is possible to quarantine much more inexpensively and humanely than the manner proscribed by Government.

After the disgraceful antics by the 3 gimps who absconded from the hotel the other day you really believe that people like this family who are of the same ilk would stick to the quarantine regulations in their homes without supervision? Like seriously?

After the disgraceful antics by the 3 gimps who absconded from the hotel the other day you really believe that people like this family who are of the same ilk would stick to the quarantine regulations in their homes without supervision? Like seriously?
    Nurse and children of the same "ilk"???

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Yes staying in a hotel room for 12 days is so inhumane. God people get outraged over nothing these days. Your outrage? Does it do you any good? Does everything make you angry? It's not good for your health. People lived worse for their whole lives in squaller they'll survive 2 weeks in a hotel room.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Yes staying in a hotel room for 12 days is so inhumane. God people get outraged over nothing these days. Your outrage? Does it do you any good? Does everything make you angry? It's not good for your health. People lived worse for their whole lives in squaller they'll survive 2 weeks in a hotel room.
    A gilded cage is a a cage nonetheless.
    Would that it were a gilded cage.
    It is a dreary generic airport hotel.
    What you dismiss as "nothing" is a question of the integral dignity of a person.

Dignity? It's a hotel room for 2 weeks. They'll be grand

For sure you're no human rights lawyer.

• Advertisement

For sure you're no human rights lawyer.

Either are you? Point being?

Either are you? Point being?
    you don't understand the freedoms you enjoy so you stand by while the rights of others are infringed.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

am i missing something quarrantine in a country thats already in a full lockdown except for a certain untouchable group are behaving as they always have done
    I was happy to quarrantined in a country thats fully open

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you don't understand the freedoms you enjoy so you stand by while the rights of others are infringed.

People have the right to live, to be healthy... I understand those freedoms... those freedoms are more important than some gob****e getting off an aircraft and reintegrating back into to society having been traveling and mixing with others during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Strumms wrote: »

People have the right to live, to be healthy... I understand those freedoms... those freedoms are more important than some gob****e getting off an aircraft and reintegrating back into to society having been traveling and mixing with others during a pandemic.

It's wrongful imprisonment by a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's wrongful imprisonment by a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration.

Some people have lost the run of themselves here.

Myanmar, which has a military junta that is shooting children, is a a morally bankrupt totalitarian administration. Ireland is trying to get some level of control over a pandemic virus by making incomers from regions with certain variants stay in quarantine for two weeks.

See the difference?

Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Dignity? It's a hotel room for 2 weeks. They'll be grand

they are being fleeced for 5k for the privilege of satisfying your concerns over the deadliest disease ever.
    I'd imagine a family could put that money to better use.

It's easy to dish out the sneers when it isnt you holed up there and fcuking paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

paw patrol wrote: »
    they are being fleeced for 5k for the privilege of satisfy your concerns over the deadliest disease ever.
    I'd imagine a family could put that money to better use.

It's easy to dish out the sneers when it isnt you holed up there and fcuking paying for it

We're all paying for this, and will be for years to come. If the family didn't pay for it, that'd be yet more for taxpayers to pay, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

volchitsa wrote: »
    We're all paying for this, and will be for years to come. If the family didn't pay for it, that'd be yet more for taxpayers to pay, that's all.

well that's true, if you'd seen my ever increasing frustration on other threads you'd know I agree wholeheartedly with your point.
    But that doesn't mean we rinse a family of 5k for a stop over in dubai.

Assuming you believe that quarantines are necessary , If they'd a place to stay, then we could for must less send them to their home and check on them regularly.

I know a workmate who came home to canada was quarantined for 14 days and they rang him every day with 20 questions. Surely something like that is easier for all (and less expensive) than hotel quarantine. Gardai could call to the house on occasion if this is such a priority.

Sure some people will abscond but that's mostly in the demographic of golf loving fianna fail councilors and criminal types. Maybe the odd ex EU Commissioner. It would be low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Many close contacts of Covid cases in Ireland are obviously disregarding instructions to quarantine, otherwise infection rates would be at much lower levels after three months of hard lockdown.

How come we can trust Irish close contacts to do the right thing but we shouldn't trust those who have travelled?

Advertisement