Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2021 Antepost

Options

Comments

A post from the third page...
    lemush wrote: »
    Goshen would be lapped in a champion hurdle.

Here's hoping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Melon I thought has been overpriced for a long time in the Ryanair. One of the best jumpers in the race, probably the quickest and can go a decent gallop and lead.

Been overlooked because he doesn't win nonsense. Not like he is making blunders when in front, a nk in the difference and he'd be a champion hurdle and Marsh novices winner at the festival.

Runs well at Cheltenham, still only 9, 6/1 is a fair price. Can see why people would side with Min at the same price. But Melon had been bigger for good few weeks, and even at the prices I still fancy melon.

Watch him fall out the back of the TV now.

I haven’t backed him bu my I think Thursday is the day it all comes together for Melon. He always finds one too good but he was beaten less than half a length combined in a Champion Hurdle and last year. If he won last year I think he’d be a 9/4 or 3/1 chance in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

A post from the third page...

Here's hoping :pac:

He'll give them a lovely lead and that will be about it. My pockets will be empty if I'm wrong, biggest lay of the festival.

lemush wrote: »
    He'll give them a lovely lead and that will be about it. My pockets will be empty if I'm wrong, biggest lay of the festival.

My pockets will be in shreds if Honeysuckle doesn't do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Backed Stattler for the Albert Bartlett at 50s. Likeable horse who will stay all day. Bit of slop at Cheltenham could see him go well.

Shameless excitement bump

• Advertisement

Sir Gerhard in the Champion Bumper - 10/1

If this comes in, I'm on the first plane, boat, pedalo out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Supreme
    blue lord e/w at 35/1
    Free bets single on ballyadam at 5/1

Arkle
    Captain guinness e/w at 33/1 and 16/1 and win 10/1

Ultima
    No bet yet

Champion
    Single on aspire tower.
    Possibly sharjah if price goes double digits

Mares
    Indefatigatable win at 25/1
    Will do place also

Boodles
    Busselton win @10/1
    Jeff kidder e/w @55/1

NH chase
    Lord royal e/w @10/1

Multiples
    Appreciate it/shiskin/epetante @25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

gazza1 wrote: »
    I've backed Black Tears 25s NRNB for the Mares.
    I think Concertista looks like a banker now that Honeysuckle goes CH but if you look at the market for the race, there's quite a few shorter in the betting that won't be running in the race and if lining up should be a lot shorter on the day.
    Is entered in the Quevega Hurdle next weds which also includes Concertista and Great White Shark so should be a good indicator

Multiples up in smoke but I won't complain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Feck Emmet Mullins for picking the PP plate for The Shunter.

:D

I had it at 25/1 for the County Hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    I wouldn't be taking those odds for the Prestbury Cup. I expect Ireland to do well enough in the Championship races but half the races are handicaps with Ireland having a minority of the runners. In a couple of the races, Ireland may only have one or two runners, in others maybe 4 or 5 out of 20 or so runners. I think the results have been a bit freakish the last couple of years and I don't think the handicapper will be kind. Even in some of the championship races, Irish horses will be vastly outnumbered. Ireland may have a lot of the favourites but if anything happens the favourite, Britain are best placed to win. If I got 2/1, I would be lumping it on Britain.

Fairly spot on with my analysis, Britain giving Ireland a good thrashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fairly spot on with my analysis, Britain giving Ireland a good thrashing

??????

??????

Ever hear of self-depreciating humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ever hear of self-depreciating humour?

Oh. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

There are only two horses under 7/1 trained in the uk today

I wouldn't be taking those odds for the Prestbury Cup. I expect Ireland to do well enough in the Championship races but half the races are handicaps with Ireland having a minority of the runners. In a couple of the races, Ireland may only have one or two runners, in others maybe 4 or 5 out of 20 or so runners. I think the results have been a bit freakish the last couple of years and I don't think the handicapper will be kind. Even in some of the championship races, Irish horses will be vastly outnumbered. Ireland may have a lot of the favourites but if anything happens the favourite, Britain are best placed to win. If I got 2/1, I would be lumping it on Britain.

This is up there with the worst tips ever such as Brendan O'Connor advising anyone with balls to speculate on the property market in 2008 and someone told Abe Lincoln that a night out at the theatre would be good for him

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

I'm looking forward to the Cheltenham 2022 Antepost thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    You've dubbed me the Ante Post King (among other things :pac:) so he's what i have to date.

Singles:
    Galvin 12/1 - NH Chase
    Monkfish 10/1 - RSA
    Delta Work 33/1 - Gold Cup (big price - i thought he ran well on Saturday)
    Ballyadam 20/1 - Supreme and Ballymore

Multiples:
    Galvin / Envoi Allen
    Shishkin / Envoi Allen / Abacadabras
    Shishkin / Abacadabras
    Edited 03/11 to include:
    Envoi Allen / Abacadabras
    Envoi Allen / Shishkin (this a double i may top up again until the both inevitably become 6/4 shots)

Summary:
    I think Galvin will be my strongest dart this year. GE loves winning this race and Galvin seems to tick all the boxes.

Ballyadam in both, think this lad in an aeroplane. Initially thought he was made for the Ballymore but a lot of chat about the Supreme so i went this way too. Can cash out at some point as prices have tumbled for both.

Envoi Allen will likely by in a lot of bets, he looks the real deal, and i also think Shishkin is too. The double pays about 12/1.

I thought i had Abacadabras backed as a single but apparently not, just in the bets above. I wouldnt be anyway concerned, he wants better ground and stronger pace. I still think he has a huge chance in the CH and at 10s now i think it big.

I've cashed out on Malone Road at no loss after his flop and cashed out all bar one of my Princess Zoe bets after she won the Cadran, for a profit as i had her at tasty prices and she went to 5/1. I left one bet open on her just in case but its going to be a loser. Sin é.

I've a few handicap plots (remember Glenloe :() that I have in my mind once those markets start to form. Some obvious but as always if you get in early you're generally getting 3 or 4 times the price it will be on the day.

Feel free to abuse me :)
    I'm going to update this for full transparency. I cashed out both Ballyadam slips after he was stuffed over Christmas, probably should have kept one.
    Tower Bridge; I've taken a lose on as i had him backed a few times.

Not sure if i have these listed somewhere else in the thread but here we go.

Hook Up 20/1 Mares novice hurdle
    Saint Sam 14/1 (and 12/s) Boodles
    Fakiera 14/1 AB (cashed out Ashdale Bob)
    Kilcruit 10/1 Bumper
    Gaillard Du Mesnil 8/1 Ballymore
    Elimay 11/2 Mares Chase
    Allaho 10/1 Ryanair
    Chosen Mate/Entoucas both 25/1 Grand Annual

I'm really happy with them i must admit. Most prices have dropped dramatically.

Saint Sam wins the Boodle if he goes there. Which he will as he's been beaten twice by the fav and second fav, He's def their horse for it. Obviously the plan wasnt to place yesterday but i'm not sure how highly the handicapper will rate the winner even though it was a Grade 1. He just wins!!

Update here:

Monkfish, Allaho and Galvin all landed decent antepost bets for followers. Monkfish going off 1/4 was just unreal and will probably never happen again.

Entoucas second at 25/1 was sickening, as he should have won. Was the best horse.

Saint Sam well ran in the Boodles, beaten by a 80/1 shot. Awful pity he was held up last for most of the race... :rolleyes:

Kilcruit should have won but another stinker from Townend. Blackmore rode him asleep.

Elimay given another shocker by Walsh. Let Colreevy jump into her instead of letting her jump right and lose ground, but Walsh decided to help out by running and jumping alongside her :o

Hook Up and Fakeira both ultimately disappointing.

And Envoi Allen fell... I had EV in bets with Monkfish, Galvin and Shishkin. OH WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

Either Monkfish or Galvin winning alone meant i would have been up for the festival with one bet. Again, it shows the huge benefits of ante post punting.

Some money definitely left behind this year, particularly with Entoucas, but all in all, a good week, but still a somewhat deflated feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Update here:

Monkfish, Allaho and Galvin all landed decent antepost bets for followers. Monkfish going off 1/4 was just unreal and will probably never happen again.

Entoucas second at 25/1 was sickening, as he should have won. Was the best horse.

Saint Sam well ran in the Boodles, beaten by a 80/1 shot. Awful pity he was held up last for most of the race... :rolleyes:

Kilcruit should have won but another stinker from Townend. Blackmore rode him asleep.

Elimay given another shocker by Walsh. Let Colreevy jump into her instead of letting her jump right and lose ground, but Walsh decided to help out by running and jumping alongside her :o

And Envoi Allen fell... I had EV in bets with Monkfish, Galvin and Shishkin. OH WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

Either Monkfish or Galvin winning alone meant i would have been up for the festival with one bet. Again, it shows the huge benefits of ante post punting.

Some money definitely left behind this year, particularly with Entoucas, but all in all, a good week, but still a somewhat deflated feeling.

Still don't understand why you'd bother backing Monkfish ante post when you could have just backed him on the day.
    Ante post punting makes no sense. Much easier to just pick the winner on the day of the race so you know he definitely has 4 legs.

Still don't understand why you'd bother backing Monkfish ante post when you could have just backed him on the day.
    Ante post punting makes no sense. Much easier to just pick the winner on the day of the race so you know he definitely has 4 legs.

Lesson learned. I'll know for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Lesson learned. I'll know for next time!

Great picking slattsy and you hit the crossbar with so many seconds - entoucas, kilcruit, Elimay, Saint Sam and I think you had put up SDB ante post too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Update here:

Can't see Walsh riding for JP for much longer. That ride on Elimay was one of the worst i've seen.

Great picking slattsy and you hit the crossbar with so many seconds - entoucas, kilcruit, Elimay, Saint Sam and I think you had put up SDB ante post too.

I did actually.

Maybe the lesson is to start doing some each way, maybe splitting the bet up slightly. Have x amount on the nose and something each way to guarantee some return.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Can't see Walsh riding for JP for much longer. That ride on Elimay was one of the worst i've seen.

He does the job in Ireland well enough to be fair to him but yeah I was disgusted with the ride on Elimay in particular. Even my old man, who knows little about horses, was saying why is he not bringing Elimay inside..

Thought he was poor on Entoucas also. Stopped riding it into the second last then let it fiddle over the last. Another 50 yards and he was there.

Oh well.

Love following the AP posts Slattsy. Great work.

I'd love to know the plans for Ferny Hollow. Any idea when he is fit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Looking at my book so far.

Supreme
    Appreciate it @5/2

Arkle
    Shiskin @2/1
    Darver Star @14/1

Champion Hurdle
    Abacadbras @6/1

National Hunt Chase
    Galvin @20/1

RSA
    Next Destination @ 9/1

Champion Chase
    Put the Kettle on w/o Chacun@ 9/1

Marsh
    Envoi Allen (rollup) @24/1

Ryanair
    Allaho @ 10/1
    Reel Steel @ 16/1

Stayers
    Thyme Hill @12/1

Mares Novice
    Hook up @16/1

Triumph
    Duffle Coat @14/1
    Paros @20/1

County Hurdle
    Petit Mouchoir @25/1

Gold Cup
    Santini @14/1

Mares Chase
    Shattered Love @14/1
    Ellfie @ 12/1

Some decent looking multis added to about 30 point worth of dead bets such as Ferny Hollow (Supreme), Easywork (RSA) :( and Pic D'orhy (Arkle)- what was I thinking.

Mixed bag really.

I done relatively well in the end but could have been so much better. Envoi Allen falling cost me over 600 points as I had him in doubles and trebles with Galvin, Allaho and Shiskin. When Galvin won I already had most of the money spent as I'd expected Next Destination to win with his late entry. A week later and I'm still so deflated over it.

Big thing for next year is to learn how to change my mind, despite the likes of Santini and Abacadbras not showing enough throughout the year I constantly stuck with them.

I still think Abacadbras would have run really well in the CH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I still think Abacadbras would have run really well in the CH.

Don't, just..............Don't
    :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Agreed with the above, frustrating watching Elimay losing lengths at each fence and getting bashed.

Jonbon is 20/1 for the Supreme. Anyone have a nibble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Jonbon is 20/1 for the Supreme. Anyone have a nibble?

Only absolute morons.

Advertisement