Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the USA - 10 killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

votecounts wrote: »
    Its savage murders like this that makes me thank god we didn't make gun ownership legal here.

Gun ownership is legal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

banie01 wrote: »
    Most of the guns in Mexico are imported illegally.
    Funnily enough the majority of them from the US, cash and guns flow south for drugs.

Mexico, despite the ongoing cartel wars has very restrictive gun laws.
    There's only 1 gun store in a country of a 130million.
    So nope, it wouldn't suddenly turn into Mexico supplying arms to the 2a'rs.

The Mexicans will find a way to get guns and they'll send them northwards. Business is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Mexicans will find a way to get guns and they'll send them northwards. Business is business.

Nowhere will supply them as easily or as cheaply as the US.
    So Mexico would have to dig out a whole new supply chain.
    But great way to impugne a whole country there.
    Surely the Canadians could just as easily step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure it's the guns. It's their attitude to resorting to any perceived slight with violence. It seems to be the first port of call.

Get dumped - kill your ex
    Get in an argument - kill the other person
    Get fired - kill your workmates
    Have a sex addiction and a religious hang-up - kill massage workers.

But this is the point I made earlier - if there is something that develops an attitude that any perceived slight must be responded to with violence, then surely it makes sense to limit their access to weapons.

Whatever the reason that they want to kill people (mental health, attitudes developed by society, whatever), part of the solution is gun control.

When people say 'It's not a gun problem, it's X problem'...No, it's people with X problem who have easy access to guns. You can't separate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

osarusan wrote: »
    But this is the point I made earlier - if there is something that develops an attitude that any perceived slight must be responded to with violence, then surely it makes sense to limit their access to weapons.

How do you do that? It's an honest question.

If the law says you have a right to a gun, how do you stop someone from getting a gun? And then, how do you stop them getting it illegally if they can't get it legally?

And what do you do about the 500,000,000+ guns that are in the wild already?

Whatever the reason that they want to kill people (mental health, attitudes developed by society, whatever), part of the solution is gun control.

What's your idea of gun control? What do you mean by gun control?
    When people say 'It's not a gun problem, it's X problem'...No, it's people with X problem who have easy access to guns. You can't separate the two.

I've easy access to guns. So have approximately 100k people here in Ireland. yet we don't go bananas and shoot up massage parlours and supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

ypres5 wrote: »
    Another name incident of far right white nationalist terror in the space of a week. can we have a conversation on it now or will we stay in denial like so many on boards were with the atlanta shooting?

So quick to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's very disturbing that the first thing everyone jumps to is the race of the shooter. Not necessarily on boards but in general.

It's like ten people have just died maybe not use it as a political point for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,122 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the law says you have a right to a gun, how do you stop someone from getting a gun? And then, how do you stop them getting it illegally if they can't get it legally?

I've easy access to guns. So have approximately 100k people here in Ireland. yet we don't go bananas and shoot up massage parlours and supermarkets.

You cannot compare the ease that U.S. citizens have to firearms compared to us in Ireland. Guns are fooking everywhere in a America.

I wouldn’t have a clue about how to get my hands on a firearm here, and I’d argue the same for other persons living in Ireland

Plus, there are 330 million people in America; circa 250 million that could probably legally just buy guns?

The comparison makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You don't have easy access to assault rifles. The type of gun that was used in this shooting apparently and the one that was used in the Aurora movie theatre, Sandy Hook elementary, Parkland High School, Tree of Life Synagogue, Las Vegas shootings.

You don't have easy access to assault rifles. The type of gun that was used in this shooting apparently and the one that was used in the Aurora movie theatre, Sandy Hook elementary, Parkland High School, Tree of Life Synagogue, Las Vegas shootings.

That's not exactly true though.
    A lot of people in Ireland have centrefire semi automatic rifles in 5.56, 7.62 and a range of other military calibres.
    There is a surprising number of high power rifles in the country.
    But.
    Because there is a fairly robust licensing regime there is no proliferation.

The folks that own such rifles have to jump through hoops, cross the t's and dot the i's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

A lot of people in Ireland have centrefire semi automatic rifles in 5.56, 7.62 and a range of other military calibres.
    But.

The folks that own such rifles have to jump through hoops, cross the t's and dot the i's.

There is also a lack of gun 'culture' in general.

The vast majority of death by firearms aren't caused by these types of guns. It seems to be handguns that are reached for first.

There is also a lack of gun 'culture' in general.

In the way we imagine US gun culture, yes.
    But there is a very active shooting and hunting community in Ireland, and on Boards.
    They don't have the political clout of the US groups but they are a tight community.

walshb wrote: »
    You cannot compare the ease that U.S. citizens have to firearms compared to us in Ireland. Guns are fooking everywhere in a America.

I wouldn’t have a clue about how to get my hands on a firearm here, and I’d argue the same for other persons living in Ireland

Plus, there are 330 million people in America; circa 250 million that could probably legally just buy guns?

The comparison makes no sense.

Here's my take on things.

I personally don't believe everyone should have access to a firearm. Some people just wouldn't be responsible enough with one.

This causes conflict with the 2nd Amendment as that doesn't mention anything about people needing to be responsible.

So the first step is to go about changing 2A and also changing most of the individual State's Constitutions. This won't happen. At least it won't happen in my lifetime anyway because there isn't the demand for it to happen. It might happen at Federal level way down the line but I can't see it. And if it happens at Federal level, there will be resistance on a State level. It would be like trying to dance through the eye of a needle.

And even if that happens, it does nothing to address the 500m+ guns that are already out there. And there will be hundreds of millions more guns added to that figure before the laws are changed.

And many Americans won't give up those guns. And look what happens when you suggest a gun ban. Look at Sandy Hook. The US went on a gun buying splurge after that because there was a fear that certain guns would be prohibited.

So, how do you take the guns back by force? You can't.

My thinking is that slowly the Government might be able to bring in tighter background checks for gun sales to try stop the crazies and criminals from getting guns, but that won't stop those things happening. But again this doesn't stop more guns being bought.

My thinking is that the Government might be very slowly be able to ban certain types of guns but the US citizens will get around that by putting on a different stock etc.

Basically there's no easy fix or roadmap that can be followed.

The right to bear arms is ingrained in their culture and they ain't giving up that right any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Here's my take on things.

I personally don't believe everyone should have access to a firearm. Some people just wouldn't be responsible enough with one.

This causes conflict with the 2nd Amendment as that doesn't mention anything about people needing to be responsible.

So the first step is to go about changing 2A and also changing most of the individual State's Constitutions. This won't happen. At least it won't happen in my lifetime anyway because there isn't the demand for it to happen. It might happen at Federal level way down the line but I can't see it. And if it happens at Federal level, there will be resistance on a State level. It would be like trying to dance through the eye of a needle.

And even if that happens, it does nothing to address the 500m+ guns that are already out there. And there will be hundreds of millions more guns added to that figure before the laws are changed.

And many Americans won't give up those guns. And look what happens when you suggest a gun ban. Look at Sandy Hook. The US went on a gun buying splurge after that because there was a fear that certain guns would be prohibited.

So, how do you take the guns back by force? You can't.

My thinking is that slowly the Government might be able to bring in tighter background checks for gun sales to try stop the crazies and criminals from getting guns, but that won't stop those things happening. But again this doesn't stop more guns being bought.

My thinking is that the Government might be very slowly be able to ban certain types of guns but the US citizens will get around that by putting on a different stock etc.

Basically there's no easy fix or roadmap that can be followed.

The right to bear arms is ingrained in their culture and they ain't giving up that right any time soon.

But all that said they need a start even if it means the beneficiaries are the children of people who aren’t born yet. It would obviously need baby steps but it being a tough long road is no reason to not start on it.

But.

That's my point and what is missing in the US in many locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

All fair questions - but saying it's difficult/impossible to control access to guns is making a different point to 'It's not a gun problem, it's X problem.'
    Agreed. But again, I think this supports my argument. We don't go bananas and shoot up massage parlours and supermarkets, yet in America they do, for whatever reasons. So, as well as trying to identify and these reasons and take action, they should be trying to limit access to weapons for people who are predisposed in this way.

Don't get me wrong, it may be difficult/impossible to do it. As you say, there are already a staggering number of guns in circulation.

I'm just highlighting what I see as the weakness of the argument that 'It's not a gun problem, it's X problem.'

salmocab wrote: »
    But all that said they need a start even if it means the beneficiaries are the children of people who aren’t born yet. It would obviously need baby steps but it being a tough long road is no reason to not start on it.

Supposing you are in charge.

What's the first step?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I absolutely agree, but when Sandy hook didn't cause a shift in public opinion in relation to gun control then nothing will.
    I'm far from an expert on America but the gun rights lobby seem to be getting more vocal than ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Shootings like this happens nearly every day in Chicago and no one cares.

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »

774 murders in 2020 alone. 3237 shooting incidents.

And they have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

774 murders in 2020 alone. 3237 shooting incidents.

And they have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

They have something else that makes sure nobody in the press ever makes a fuss about it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Has anyone said the shooter is ' white adjacent ' yet ?

I wasn't far off ..........

https://twitter.com/daily_barbarian/status/1374433263280820230

Supposing you are in charge.

What's the first step?

Well that’s a massive one but I suppose I’d start by getting guns and owners registered with rules on storage. Obviously different states already have different rules/laws. Then I’d get some proper classification of what guns are what. Now I know someone will come in with ‘but that won’t work’ or ‘that’s illegal’ but someone needs to start somewhere or at least someone should. If it was genuinely me in charge I’d look into getting rid of 2a but I know that that would start a civil war with morons running around the woods dressed up as trees.

That's not the case.
    Majority of cases in Chicago, as others have alluded to with a wink and a nudge, are carried out by people living in crime ridden communities if not outright gang warfare. One of the reasons gun laws are so strict in Illinois is to try to stem the numbers suffering from gun violence.

But generally what is happening there is different from someone walking in to a store like happened yesterday, or like what happened last week.

There is no simple fix to a lot of the issues in the US, particularly when it comes to guns. But the ubiquitous nature of guns means that society is suffering from more frequent occurrences of violent un deaths, whether they be in 'the hood' in Chicago, or in a mall in the south or mid west.

Chicago should be used as an argument for a change in attitudes to guns in the country, not as an argument that there is no point in trying to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210315/victory-in-colorado-preemption-case

A mere week before the mass shooting in Boulder, the NRA were bragging about how they'd prevented a ban on this type if weapon in Boulder. If only they had the capacity for shame

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well that’s a massive one but I suppose I’d start by getting guns and owners registered with rules on storage. Obviously different states already have different rules/laws. Then I’d get some proper classification of what guns are what. Now I know someone will come in with ‘but that won’t work’ or ‘that’s illegal’ but someone needs to start somewhere or at least someone should. If it was genuinely me in charge I’d look into getting rid of 2a but I know that that would start a civil war with morons running around the woods dressed up as trees.

It's all very well starting somewhere, but starting somewhere which either won't work or is illegal is a very bad place to start, and merely re-entrenches opposition, as well as getting nothing actually done. You need to start somewhere which is both legal and makes practical sense. Oftentimes the latter is the realistic problem. Since anti-gun laws tend to be made by people who don't like guns, and thus don't take much of an interest in their technicalities, they very rarely have the desired effect. Assault weapons bans in the US are an excellent case in point.

For example, some storage laws will be legal. "Must have gun inaccessible if nobody is home" may pass muster. And, indeed, in some places like California, some form of lock must be sold with every gun. However, if you put forward something like "Guns must always be stored unloaded and securely", it will fail horribly because it defeats the purpose of a gun for defense.

And if things are legal and 'make sense', they still have to have a chance of working. Take your first suggestion of registration, then look to see how well that works in practice. Such registrations have failed in US states (https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-bullet-casings-20151107-story.html ) and abroad https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/01/22/canada-tried-registering-long-guns-and-gave-up/?sh=562b4a545a1b

It just cost taxpayers money, and most people didn't register. And even if, in the unlikely event, such a registry existed, how would it help? What practical effect would it have on preventing an otherwise lawful gun owner from committing a crime with that gun? Knowing he had it is pretty pointless after the fact.

It's all very well starting somewhere, but starting somewhere which either won't work or is illegal is a very bad place to start, and merely re-entrenches opposition, as well as getting nothing actually done. You need to start somewhere which is both legal and makes practical sense. Oftentimes the latter is the realistic problem. Since anti-gun laws tend to be made by people who don't like guns, and thus don't take much of an interest in their technicalities, they very rarely have the desired effect. Assault weapons bans in the US are an excellent case in point.

For example, some storage laws will be legal. "Must have gun inaccessible if nobody is home" may pass muster. And, indeed, in some places like California, some form of lock must be sold with every gun. However, if you put forward something like "Guns must always be stored unloaded and securely", it will fail horribly because it defeats the purpose of a gun for defense.

And if things are legal and 'make sense', they still have to have a chance of working. Take your first suggestion of registration, then look to see how well that works in practice. Such registrations have failed in US states (https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-md-bullet-casings-20151107-story.html ) and abroad https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/01/22/canada-tried-registering-long-guns-and-gave-up/?sh=562b4a545a1b

It just cost taxpayers money, and most people didn't register. And even if, in the unlikely event, such a registry existed, how would it help? What practical effect would it have on preventing an otherwise lawful gun owner from committing a crime with that gun? Knowing he had it is pretty pointless after the fact.

We all know nothing will happen anyway, people will keep dying and people will make any amount of excuses as to why nothing will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

American culture just loves its guns and shooting too much to ever change.

They view these shootings as an acceptable part of life in America and one of the rights they are entitled to.

• Advertisement

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210315/victory-in-colorado-preemption-case

A mere week before the mass shooting in Boulder, the NRA were bragging about how they'd prevented a ban on this type if weapon in Boulder. If only they had the capacity for shame

Read the article. The ban was illegal.

Another way of stating what you said could be 'NRA bragging about forcing authorities to obey the law'. We have had similar cases here where the Gardai/DOJ were making up the law, and they don't have the powers to do that.

Advertisement