Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

pwurple wrote: »
    I’ll believe it when I see it. This scheme has been mooted, planned, designed, funded, defunded, funded etc etc for what feels like my entire lifetime.

It is very effective at stopping every other type of smaller project in its tracks.

The plans are not very specific but isn't this funding for a lot of small projects? The biggest single cost would be the Eastern Gateway Bridge which would still be under 100 million. A couple like the Marina Park are actually ongoing, so I don't think this is stopping anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

snotboogie wrote: »
    The plans are not very specific but isn't this funding for a lot of small projects? The biggest single cost would be the Eastern Gateway Bridge which would still be under 100 million. A couple like the Marina Park are actually ongoing, so I don't think this is stopping anything

The 2009 report estimated the bridge would cost about €80M so I’m thinking that would be at least €100M today. It’s also apparently going to be necessary to raise the level of most of the transport corridors throughout the Docklands to avoid flooding. That’s going to be expensive, particularly as it will require CPOs in a few places to allow for widening and realignment. A big chunk is going on the library too. You wouldn’t be long using up €350M.

cantalach wrote: »
    The 2009 report estimated the bridge would cost about €80M so I’m thinking that would be at least €100M today. It’s also apparently going to be necessary to raise the level of most of the transport corridors throughout the Docklands to avoid flooding. That’s going to be expensive, particularly as it will require CPOs in a few places to allow for widening and realignment. A big chunk is going on the library too. You wouldn’t be long using up €350M.

Oh ya for sure, I think that 2009 report had the overall cost for the docklands improvements at something like 700 million. It seems like there is 350 million specifically for the docklands here. So lots to spend the money on. I just don't think this is a pie in the sky project blocking funding for necessary boring upgrades. The spend here seems pretty sensible. As others have pointed out, the timeline for implementation is the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Library usage is very high among young people. Over 17 million library visits in the year prior to Covid. A library would never be a white elephant. They are brilliant civic and educational facilities.
    +1
    Was not unusual to find no spaces available in libraries around Dubland during school term time ( pre COVID of course )
    Serious question - Do young people still use libraries (outside of college ones)?

I'm not saying that this project shouldn't got ahead as it's good to have something in the city centre that isn't just another shop, pub or restaurant. I can just imagine a scenario where something like this can become a white elephant in years to come.

When we get derestricted visit a few...they have much more than a few ol' books to offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Our twin city of Rennes has a fabulous central library and cultural centre, Les Champs Libres. It has exhibition spaces, library, reading rooms, a garden, café, even a Planetarium. If we had something like that in Cork it would be brilliant.
    champs-libres-rennes-104-5588-8686.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow that's a fabulous buidling! There's so much potential in Grand Parade area for something like that.

leahyl wrote: »
    Wow that's a fabulous buidling! There's so much potential in Grand Parade area for something like that.

Link a planetarium up with Blackrock Castle (MTU) and it would be a fantastic resource.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The pedestrian lights on Patrick's Street by the PTSB take forever to go green (for the pedestrian).

Same with the ones by Aldi under the Elysian.

I just feel the need to rant!

Seriously though, it's dangerous because people get tired of waiting and cross the road anyway.

I might contact the City Council directly, they haven't responded to my tweets.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The pedestrian lights on Patrick's Street by the PTSB take forever to go green (for the pedestrian).

Seriously though, it's dangerous because people get tired of waiting and cross the road anyway.

Not just Cork...
    https://twitter.com/josephmcginley/status/1373922133030625280?s=20https://twitter.com/josephmcginley/status/1373922133030625280?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The ones at the Opera House, crossing over toward Popes Quay are a disaster. We tried to use them yesterday, but all the lights cycled around twice without letting us go. So we just ran for it when there was a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

For contrast, the lights on McCurtain St. by the Metropole are nearly instant. Max of 5 seconds from pressing the button to green light. Nearly got ran down once because of it though (lights went green, driver blasted through not noticing the change).

who_me wrote: »
    For contrast, the lights on McCurtain St. by the Metropole are nearly instant. Max of 5 seconds from pressing the button to green light. Nearly got ran down once because of it though (lights went green, driver blasted through not noticing the change).

And there are so many people who don't bother pressing the button. They just stand there waiting before crossing the road anyway. Crazy!

And there are so many people who don't bother pressing the button. They just stand there waiting before crossing the road anyway. Crazy!

People have been conditioned to believing that they do not work, far too many placebo buttons around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The City Council are aware of the issue, unfortunately TII dictate the crossing times on these streets as they are National roads.
    TII are only interested in keeping the traffic moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

My pet hate when it comes to lights is the lack of them on Ship St if you're coming along from Patrick's Quay. At least now traffic is lighter but at busy times you had to wait for ages or else make a dash across the road when there was a little gap.

The City Council are aware of the issue, unfortunately TII dictate the crossing times on these streets as they are National roads.

Well, I did not know that! Thank you.

So the Council are powerless to make changes to the pedestrian lights?
    Even given the recent attempts to make Patrick Street more pedestrian friendly?

opus wrote: »
    My pet hate when it comes to lights is the lack of them on Ship St if you're coming along from Patrick's Quay. At least now traffic is lighter but at busy times you had to wait for ages or else make a dash across the road when there was a little gap.

Is that the bit near Penrose Wharf?
    Used to drive me crazy when I worked down there.

Same when I worked in Little Island.
    Constant flow of traffic between the industrial estates and the train station.

You would have to walk a few minutes back to the traffic lights and come back again, but who does that?
    Nearly got knocked down once. A driver kindly waited for me to cross while one behind one took over it. Scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Same when I worked in Little Island.
    Constant flow of traffic between the industrial estates and the train station.

Good thing they narrowed the footpaths, to fit in another traffic lane.
    Moar cars!

Good thing they narrowed the footpaths, to fit in another traffic lane.
    Moar cars!

And people still won't get the (cheap) train, even when the traffic jams were mental!
    People are so wedded to their cars. Unreal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork is now the only city in Ireland with national roads criss crossing in the city centre. The only detrunking of note was the N71 from the N40 to Victoria Cross.

Once the North Ring & M20 are done, the N20, N8 and N22 will likely be detrunked. Not sure where that leaves the N27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I remember another traffic light story, reported this to the council in Dec '12 -
    The traffic lights on Evergreen Road at Turners Cross only show a green light for traffic heading out of town when the filter arrow for traffic turning right comes on and traffic coming into town gets a red light. This means cars sit there waiting for the right turn arrow even though they want to drive straight on. Surely traffic going out should be green all the time regardless apart from when traffic from Curragh Road has a green light? It's been like this for years as far as I can remember.

Got an acknowledgement but that was it so I followed up in March '14 & again in Oct that year & finally got this reply.
    Apologies for not getting back to you ! We are simply stretched to the limit here. There are 5 x ongoing projects effecting traffic within sight of our office alone. Your observations have been noted, but do not have the resources to

Perform an analysis of the junction at present,

Gmail is great for making all these stuff easy to find years later. I don't live in that area anymore so quite possibly it's still exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

The pedestrian crossing by Tobin St on Grand Parade is useless too it takes forever to change and the buttons do nothing. I always just go to the Tuckey St - Oliver Plunkett St one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1374410378902302729

ABP decision on Custom House Quay was due yesterday. How long does it take for those decisions to be made public, or are they normally leaked to journalists before being published on ABP website?

[edit] "Retail" - probably not above.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Planning has been submitted for a 194 bed hotel and rooftop restaurant on Camden Quay

Permission and retention permission for the development , conservation, refurbishment and change of use of the Former McKenzies/Circuit Courthouse, Camden Quay, Camden Place and Pine Street, Cork. The proposed development consists of the construction of a 194-no. bedroom hotel consisting of 153 no. hotel rooms and 41 no. long stay suites and all ancillary site development works. The proposed development consists of or comprises the carrying out of works to a Protected Structure. Permission is being sought for internal and external modifications, the refurbishment and change of use of the existing building and the construction of a 2-6 storey over ground floor annex to the rear of the Protected Structure. At ground floor level the proposed development contains a café with mezzanine level, hotel and long stay suites reception areas, gym, meeting rooms, kitchens, storage, staff welfare, servicing and plant areas with hotel accommodation at upper floors. The proposed development includes a covered ground floor service area to the north complete with refuse store, bicycle store, switchroom and standby generator areas. The proposal includes a rooftop restaurant with outdoor terrace, to be accessed via a dedicated entrance from Camdem Place. permission is also sought for all associated site works, including water/wastewater services, landscaping and ancillary signage. The proposed development includes customer entrances from Camden Place and Pine Street, with a service entrance to the north from Pine Street. Retention permission is also sought for the demolition of the buildings to the rear of the Protected Structure.

ePlan - Online Planning Details

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PreCocious

Apogee wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1374410378902302729

ABP decision on Custom House Quay was due yesterday. How long does it take for those decisions to be made public, or are they normally leaked to journalists before being published on ABP website?

[edit] "Retail" - probably not above.

The parties involved would receive the letter before the site was updated. So it wouldn't be a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

opus wrote: »
    I remember another traffic light story, reported this to the council in Dec '12 -

Got an acknowledgement but that was it so I followed up in March '14 & again in Oct that year & finally got this reply.

Gmail is great for making all these stuff easy to find years later. I don't live in that area anymore so quite possibly it's still exactly the same.

The main traffic flow would be South Douglas Road to Summerhill South and vice versa so it might make sense to treat St. Patrick's Road the same as a right there?

satanta99 wrote: »
    Planning has been submitted for a 194 bed hotel and rooftop restaurant on Camden Quay

Permission and retention permission for the development , conservation, refurbishment and change of use of the Former McKenzies/Circuit Courthouse, Camden Quay, Camden Place and Pine Street, Cork. The proposed development consists of the construction of a 194-no. bedroom hotel consisting of 153 no. hotel rooms and 41 no. long stay suites and all ancillary site development works. The proposed development consists of or comprises the carrying out of works to a Protected Structure. Permission is being sought for internal and external modifications, the refurbishment and change of use of the existing building and the construction of a 2-6 storey over ground floor annex to the rear of the Protected Structure. At ground floor level the proposed development contains a café with mezzanine level, hotel and long stay suites reception areas, gym, meeting rooms, kitchens, storage, staff welfare, servicing and plant areas with hotel accommodation at upper floors. The proposed development includes a covered ground floor service area to the north complete with refuse store, bicycle store, switchroom and standby generator areas. The proposal includes a rooftop restaurant with outdoor terrace, to be accessed via a dedicated entrance from Camdem Place. permission is also sought for all associated site works, including water/wastewater services, landscaping and ancillary signage. The proposed development includes customer entrances from Camden Place and Pine Street, with a service entrance to the north from Pine Street. Retention permission is also sought for the demolition of the buildings to the rear of the Protected Structure.

ePlan - Online Planning Details

Unbelievablely this has an operator onboard already, Moxy of the Marriott group. This seems like it will actually go ahead and with a 4 star Marriott brand to operate you couldn't ask for a better result. Kudos to Dylan on SkyScrapperCity for digging this info out of the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This does my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

snotboogie wrote: »
    Unbelievablely this has an operator onboard already, Moxy of the Marriott group. This seems like it will actually go ahead and with a 4 star Marriott brand to operate you couldn't ask for a better result. Kudos to Dylan on SkyScrapperCity for digging this info out of the planning.

That's superb. Moxy is a great brand.. Stayed in one in Poznan before. Really stylish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Marriott really seem to be taking interest in Cork. They have expressed interest in the Custom House Tower too

Fingers crossed the Camden Quay site doesn’t go to ABP and gets to construction this year. Mad to think this site was completely dead in the water and now looks like a dead cert to go ahead.

Once vaccines are rolled out en masse by summer hopefully the logjam in Cork Developments gets released. This thread has been very very quiet recently. The big Docklands funding in recent days is another massive piece in the jigsaw in moving forward

Advertisement