Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Serious question - Do young people still use libraries (outside of college ones)?

I'm not saying that this project shouldn't got ahead as it's good to have something in the city centre that isn't just another shop, pub or restaurant. I can just imagine a scenario where something like this can become a white elephant in years to come.

Library usage is very high among young people. Over 17 million library visits in the year prior to Covid. A library would never be a white elephant. They are brilliant civic and educational facilities.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    LIsten, you're clearly not a sports person, so I'm not gonna try to debate a sports stadium with you

I'm a sports person and that stadium far exceeds requirements. (fairly random comment to lob at someone)

It was a total vanity piece, of a build.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Library usage is very high among young people. Over 17 million library visits in the year prior to Covid. A library would never be a white elephant. They are brilliant civic and educational facilities.

Exactly! Libraries are not just a warehouse for books.
    They are about learning, and as how we learn changes, so will they. They are changing to have less room for shelves and more room for shared spaces where you might have a group meeting, workshop or a talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shedite27 wrote: »
    LIsten, you're clearly not a sports person, so I'm not gonna try to debate a sports stadium with you

The only reason I am willing to go back and forth on this for so long, I have been arguing the use of PUC for years on here, is because I give a **** and have seen so much wasted potential.

PUC was a phenomenonaly bad project, the least effective stadium build anywhere in the world this century, but it is done and we should still make the most of what we have. People will only entertain getting more use out of it when it is pointed out just how unbelievably underused it is (ie the most underused stadium in use in the world in 2019) otherwise you get lazy excuses as to why no other sports should be courted.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

snotboogie wrote: »
    The only reason I am willing to go back and forth on this for so long, I have been arguing the use of PUC for years on here, is because I give a **** and have seen so much wasted potential.

PUC was a phenomenonaly bad project, the least effective stadium build anywhere in the world this century, but it is done and we should still make the most of what we have. People will only entertain getting more use out of it when it is pointed out just how unbelievably underused it is (ie the most underused stadium in use in the world in 2019) otherwise you get lazy excuses as to why no other sports should be courted.

Well said and you're spot on in everything you're saying (amazing considering you're a non sports person!! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Move on i believe there is planning for a new housing development on ballyhooly road not sure where exactly.

It's been done to death but what other sports do you envisage there? Munster have a home stadium in Limerick, they don't need it. They use Musgrave Park for smaller Pro 16 games. At most a big European game maybe once or twice a year could be held there, maybe.

Cork City are a Division 1 team. And even when they were winning the league and cups they still weren't packing out Turners Cross every week with holds about 6,500. The pitch in PUC is also enormous which would lead to a poor matchday experience for soccer and rugby. There are no other pro sports teams in Cork.

I never found the experience lacking in Croker, for rugby.

Only rugby matches there would be Champions Cup semi finals. Really annoying having Lansdowne as Munster's home ground

I never found the experience lacking in Croker, for rugby.

Only rugby matches there would be Champions Cup semi finals. Really annoying having Lansdowne as Munster's home ground

Let's be honest here now it's not the greatest. Loads of seats in the main stand behind the end line. And at least 20m from the front row to the sideline. Not a complete disaster but far far from ideal stadium setup, not as bad as those stadiums with God awful running tracks around them, but not great.

Rugby_Croke_Park-41.jpg?ext=.jpg

Vast majority of people are so far back they never experience touch line, really.

Also, it's a normal layout globally when you get stadia with athletics tracks

• Advertisement

Vast majority of people are so far back they never experience touch line, really.

Also, it's a normal layout globally when you get stadia with athletics tracks

Which are dreadful stadiums for fan experience. Not sure we should be holding up such stadiums as something to emulate.

Which are dreadful stadiums for fan experience. Not sure we should be holding up such stadiums as something to emulate.

Again, there was no issue with atmosphere and event there during the opening 6 nations games

Again, there was no issue with atmosphere and event there during the opening 6 nations games

Personally I prefer the action to be closer to the stands, atmosphere even better. Either way out doesn't matter, the question is what other sports would be able to play there? Munster don't need it except for the rare occasion of a home European semi final which is far from guaranteed any season. Cork City certainly don't need a large stadium. Who else is there in Cork?

Personally I prefer the action to be closer to the stands, atmosphere even better. Either way out doesn't matter, the question is what other sports would be able to play there? Munster don't need it except for the rare occasion of a home European semi final which is far from guaranteed any season. Cork City certainly don't need a large stadium. Who else is there in Cork?

For Munster and Cork City it'll only ever be a random once off European game. Other than that both teams get (at best) between 5,000 and 10,000.

Cork Footballers get about 5,000 for league games. The Hurlers might get 10,000?

And then you've the odd Munster Final type game that might get 30,000.

Nothing will convince me that a Leicester City style stadium would not have been better.

Mardyke wrote: »
    For Munster and Cork City it'll only ever be a random once off European game. Other than that both teams get (at best) between 5,000 and 10,000.

Cork Footballers get about 5,000 for league games. The Hurlers might get 10,000?

And then you've the odd Munster Final type game that might get 30,000.

Nothing will convince me that a Leicester City style stadium would not have been better.

The terraces in PUC bring up the capacity, naturally. Seated capacity is around 22,000. If the terraces were seated it'd be around 32,000, almost bang on the King Power Stadium. Now you can argue about whether terraces are good or bad but that's why the capacity is higher in PUC - half of it is terracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm a sports person and that stadium far exceeds requirements. (fairly random comment to lob at someone)

It was a total vanity piece, of a build.
    Can I ask what type of stadium ye'd like to have seen? Bearing in mind that it has to have the dimensions of a GAA pitch? How many seats and terrace would you think is reasonable?

The terraces in PUC bring up the capacity, naturally. Seated capacity is around 22,000. If the terraces were seated it'd be around 32,000, almost bang on the King Power Stadium. Now you can argue about whether terraces are good or bad but that's why the capacity is higher in PUC - half of it is terracing.

But terraces open to the elements without any comfort, are useless for 95% of events, especially in Cork where it tends to rain a bit!

But terraces open to the elements without any comfort, are useless for 95% of events, especially in Cork where it tends to rain a bit!

95% of events? I've been in PUC a fair few times and the number of times it's rained was probably in the 10%-20% range. Certainly not 95%. That sounds a bit like Cork is too hilly and too wet for cycling nonsense to be honest.

Anyway let's pretend and say the terraces are converted to seats in the morning and covered. What events do you see suddenly happening in PUC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm sorry but terraces are a must for me at any stadium. Every contry that removed them for safety reasons, the fans have begged them to be put back in, a lot have a safe standing option now. We'd have been stupid to not have them both from an enjoyment perpective and a cost perspective.

There's plenty of seats for those that want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Seriously bored by all this gaa indulgent PUC discussion. Apart from the potential land grab, who cares. The gaa once again trumped the public good to satiate its own desire for supremacy.

In other Real CORK news, is this real or imaginary ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-announces-405m-regeneration-plan-for-cork-1.4514988?mode=amp

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Seriously bored by all this gaa indulgent PUC discussion. Apart from the potential land grab, who cares. The gaa once again trumped the public good to satiate its own desire for supremacy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-announces-405m-regeneration-plan-for-cork-1.4514988?mode=amp

Like most things, I'll believe when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Apogee wrote: »

RTE have completely ignored this story. Had reporters there but only showing the Covid questions asked of MM

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

RTE have completely ignored this story. Had reporters there but only showing the Covid questions asked of MM

Zuh?

I literally first heard this news on the six-one this evening. You know, their flagship and widest reaching newscast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MrDerp wrote: »
    Zuh?

I literally first heard this news on the six-one this evening. You know, their flagship and widest reaching newscast?

Didn’t see it on 9pm news (but wonder now if I missed it) and it hasn't been on their website all day as far as I could see. On the 1pm radio 1 news they interviewed their reporter in Cork from the press conference but only asked her about Covid. But if was on 6pm news I stand corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Didn’t see it on 9pm news (but wonder now if I missed it) and it hasn't been on their website all day as far as I could see. On the 1pm radio 1 news they interviewed their reporter in Cork from the press conference but only asked her about Covid. But if was on 6pm news I stand corrected on that.

I saw it on Six One too. As its an hour long newscast, it will often have extra clips not included on the shorter 9 bulletin. What they plan to do for Cork Docklands sounds amazing and have set a timeline of 15 years. I just hope it doesn't become like the Opera development in Limerick where it's launched amid much fanfare but 10 years later, no physical evidence of any development.

RTE news : Over €400m funding for Cork regeneration projects

http://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0319/1204932-cork-funding/

Clip included in this article if you scroll down halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It would be great if they did actually follow through on this. Combined with CMATS(if that happens) it would make Cork a fantastic place to live and do business. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hibernicis wrote: »

Well said, was getting tired of sports nerding.

Inspirational pointing at things pic.
    I'd be surprised if its anything other than an arty photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭millb

Link below is to an Engineers presentation from 2009. Focus is on the Docklands area and Eastern Gateway Bridge. You can see lots of design work back then -of course we had the financial crisis since then.

http://www.engineersirelandcork.ie/downloads/S_Coghlan_pres_to_EI_270109.pdf

These projects and vision take 6+ years concept discussion and strategy
    10+ years planning and a few more years detailed design / procurement / funding and then
    6+ years build

(multiply by x - if folks go to court).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What was the last national announcement of funding for Cork? I remember they included the budgets of lots of projects that were already planned or had funding to inflate the headline figure, I wonder if the same thing is happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I’ll believe it when I see it. This scheme has been mooted, planned, designed, funded, defunded, funded etc etc for what feels like my entire lifetime.

It is very effective at stopping every other type of smaller project in its tracks.

Advertisement