Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the USA - 10 killed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭randd1

This tweet is just 1 week old.

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1371885468950917124

And this article is from last April as America started to experience lockdown and the early implications of covid starting to dramatically impact peoples lives.

And this is how one member of the House of Representatives responded to the tragedy yesterday.

Of course, given that this is her Zoom background, that is hardly surprising but you have to wonder what is going on in peoples heads.

screen_shot_2021-02-19_at_4.48.43_pm.png

And her colleague from another state in which there was a mass shooting is also under no illusion as to where they stand.

https://twitter.com/monaeltahawy/status/1374215752383877124

The ironic (batsh*t crazy) thing in the middle of this is that so many gun advocates, such as the two above, scream about the sanctity of the 2nd Amendment to allow people to have guns to allow them to challenge a tyrannical government, and the only time we have seen anything come even close to this in definitely most of our lifetimes, if not in history itself, was on the Jan 6th when militia members, spurred on by many, including these 2 above and the sitting President, sought to carry out an insurrection to prevent the democratic process being carried out.

Conservatives worship at the alter of the founding fathers who lived at a time when the population of the US was 130 times smaller than it is now, when combustible engines and the harnessing of electrical power was not even a thing and when these same fathers still didn't think women or black people should be able to vote not to mind become elected representatives. And yet given all that has changed since then, they refuse to countenance taking steps to help ensure that people are not even kept safe, but have an expectation of being safe when going about their daily business.

When kids as young as 8 and 9 and people on their first day in service industry jobs are being given training on how to deal with active shooters in the same way that people in other countries get manual handling training or are shown where to go to in the event of a fire, there is something very messed up. And if left to Republicans, they will stay this way.

I've always said a country where people openly and actively support a 10 year old boys rights to own and operate firearms, but views giving that same 10 year old boy free healthcare or education as an abomination, is a deeply flawed and seriously disturbed country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

randd1 wrote: »
    I've always said a country where people openly and actively support a 10 year old boys rights to own and operate firearms, but views giving that same 10 year old boy free healthcare or education as an abomination, is a deeply flawed and seriously disturbed country.

They're more pro-target than they are pro-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭randd1

They're more pro-target than they are pro-life.

They're only pro-life when they're in the womb. They don't matter once they're born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

banie01 wrote: »
    The 4th amendment is the right to be secure against search and seizure of person or property without warrant or cause.
    Most Americans would argue that amendment actually further secures their 2a rights.

My mistake. Was thinking of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yes in fairness i know alot of guys that own guns here, farmers and clay pigeon
    shooters, hunters ect, and it wasn't easy for them to get a licence i think that's key, and all of these guys haven't murdered anyone as far as i know. Any joe soap can walk into a shop in america and get one

Most states arent as easy as that, there are background checks and permits etc.. its the inconsistencies that lead to that impression. Many of the safest states in the US even have open carry or concealed carry legally.

States with the harshest gun laws often have the most homicides , the issue is the genie is out of the bottle now, any tightening of gun laws only hurts responsible owners as theres so many illegally held / stolen firearms in circulation.

A discussion on gun control need to be had 50 years ago and wasnt , so now its about ensuring those guns dont enter the black market and enforcing harsh sentences for illegal ownership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is it. America has a mental health problem, not a gun problem . There is a serious issue when this seems like a realistic way to cope with your problems. Americans need a lot more education in being reasonable . The reactionary left/right populism of politics and the extremes of both sides in the media have a lot to answer for.

It very much does have a gun problem, it can also have a mental health issue but it definitely has a gun problem. Too many guns, too powerful guns and too easy to get. Guns are worshipped and normalised far beyond what any other country does and hiding behind the constitution, saying things like guns don’t kill people do, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy or he’s mentally ill are all cop outs by people who just want guns and don’t care for people’s lives so long as they can put on khaki at the weekends and live out their fantasies in the woods pretending they are patriots. They are just a cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think the 'mental health' argument actually supports the gun control argument, because if people want to argue that there are mental health issues that make Americans comparatively more likely to want to mow down a bunch of random strangers, surely the first thing you want to do is limit their access to weapons that facilitate such an act.

And that applies to other arguments also. It's a common argument that 'It's not a gun problem, it's a X problem.' People might argue that X is an issue of their society, or their violent history, or something else.

But it adds up to the same thing - if the argument is that Americans are (for whatever X reason) more predisposed to mass shootings*, then gun control becomes part of the solution.

*and I'm not sure that's entirely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, restrict people with known mental issues from owning guns.

But as long as Dems are pushing the defund the police narrative I doubt people will give up their guns.
    During the BLM unrest more people than ever bought guns, a lot of them Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, restrict people with known mental issues from owning guns.

Convicts, mental health issues absolutely should exclude you from gun ownership. There should also be a lower income limit - earn under 30k a year - no dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

The ironic (batsh*t crazy) thing in the middle of this is that so many gun advocates, such as the two above, scream about the sanctity of the 2nd Amendment to allow people to have guns to allow them to challenge a tyrannical government, and the only time we have seen anything come even close to this in definitely most of our lifetimes, if not in history itself, was on the Jan 6th when militia members, spurred on by many, including these 2 above and the sitting President, sought to carry out an insurrection to prevent the democratic process being carried out.

Conservatives worship at the alter of the founding fathers who lived at a time when the population of the US was 130 times smaller than it is now, when combustible engines and the harnessing of electrical power was not even a thing and when these same fathers still didn't think women or black people should be able to vote not to mind become elected representatives. And yet given all that has changed since then, they refuse to countenance taking steps to help ensure that people are not even kept safe, but have an expectation of being safe when going about their daily business.

When kids as young as 8 and 9 and people on their first day in service industry jobs are being given training on how to deal with active shooters in the same way that people in other countries get manual handling training or are shown where to go to in the event of a fire, there is something very messed up. And if left to Republicans, they will stay this way.

I wonder how much money the NRA gave them during their campaign runs? I feel lobbying has a lot to answer for and should be banned. As far as I'm aware though, it's protected by the 1st Amendment, which should be changed to exclude it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

GreeBo wrote: »
    Must be a white American, sure he was taken alive!

:p

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1374372344030978048

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Ah Lauren Boebert. The one that owns Shooters Grill in Colorado. Her obsession with guns (& Jesus) is not normal.

merlin_138292392_805715e2-3721-4e83-bb5f-dee37abbfa69-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

It's in the name - Shooter's Grill

• Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Convicts, mental health issues absolutely should exclude you from gun ownership. There should also be a lower income limit - earn under 30k a year - no dice.

Limit anyone with a stuck up snobbish mentality like this

I thought America was way down the list of countries in terms of mass shootings per capita? With a number of European countries ahead of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Deleted

Edit - Post above linked to a FB account but have deleted it

He appears to be Muslim but it doesn't have to be the reason for the shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No we wouldnt, many european countries allow gun ownership and do not have these issues. The swiss dont have these problems, the czechs dont have this problem.

Switzerland: 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million
    Czech Republic: 1.3m guns (estimated & inc illegally owned) out of pop of 10M
    US: 393M guns in a pop of 328M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

biko wrote: »
    Edit - Post above linked to a FB account but have deleted it

He appears to be Muslim but it doesn't have to be the reason for the shootings.

I deleted it and so have Facebook now.

silverharp wrote: »

Because of course there are no white American Muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you play the odds

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm confused. Why does the race of said Muslim matter?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm confused. Why does the race of said Muslim matter?
    ?

Follow the earlier quoted posts to get the context!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's sad that when you see a thread title like this one's, you check the date of the OP because they're so regular. 10 dead probably isn't even considered a mass shooting in the US anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

?

He tried to bring race and religion into it earlier with me too but I ignored it ... he wanted to try highlight it was a white man I think ... but backfired when it turns out he wasn’t a fully white American

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Now the question is will the media go with the white supremacist angle and avoid the reported (confirmed?) islam connection or just not report on this at all.

ypres5 wrote: »
    Another name incident of far right white nationalist terror in the space of a week.
    Of course this isn't over, but it seems now neither shooting were what you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Jesus that YouTube video.... Shouts into the phone he is using to live stream people are down and they need 911. If only he had a phone to call 911....oh wait.

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    He tried to bring race and religion into it earlier with me too but I ignored it ... he wanted to try highlight it was a white man I think ... but backfired when it turns out he wasn’t a fully white American

Did I really?
    Must be a white American, sure he was taken alive!

I think perhaps you are confusing me with another poster....

Advertisement