Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

thegills wrote: »
    Reporting doesn't matter either. House near me being fully renovated. They've been reported but nothing changes. They're not even discreet.

Whose reporting them?

And why?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Numbers creeping up
    NPHET sounding warnings
    I’m afraid we know how this ends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

km79 wrote: »
    Numbers creeping up
    NPHET sounding warnings

Vaccine is the only way out - hopefully it can pick up speed and we can keep foreign variants out in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Numbers creeping up
    NPHET sounding warnings

Id be amazed if NPHET allow us back to site in early April. Are they right ot wrong? At this stage im beyond caring... As the county opens up bit by bit again there is only one way the numbers will go again until the vaccine is rolled out. Heres hoping they give the go ahead to open construction in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Glebee wrote: »
    Id be amazed if NPHET allow us back to site in early April. Are they right ot wrong? At this stage im beyond caring... As the county opens up bit by bit again there is only one way the numbers will go again until the vaccine is rolled out. Heres hoping they give the go ahead to open construction in some shape or form.

It's hard to see what the difference is at April 5th and the beginning of March.

If they're waiting for cases to go down, we could be waiting until everyone is vaccinated.

Construction should never have closed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

"We have to base decisions on evidence. The evidence is very clear, construction sites are safe, outbreaks on sites are negligible and there is a massive effort to avoid any clusters on sites," he added.

I had some essential work carried out this week over a number of days in a residential house. The 3 lads who were doing the work arrived each morning side by side in a company can, zero masks and for lunch the sat in their van together. This is the problem, not sites, this behaviour leads to more and more cases and is most likely why the government insist on closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Belfunk wrote: »
    "

I had some essential work carried out this week over a number of days in a residential house. The 3 lads who were doing the work arrived each morning side by side in a company can, zero masks and for lunch the sat in their van together. This is the problem, not sites, this behaviour leads to more and more cases and is most likely why the government insist on closures.

Did you mention this to them ?They should be called out on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Belfunk wrote: »
    "We have to base decisions on evidence. The evidence is very clear, construction sites are safe, outbreaks on sites are negligible and there is a massive effort to avoid any clusters on sites," he added.

so you didnt tell them to cease working if you were so worried about the spread of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

so you didnt tell them to cease working if you were so worried about the spread of covid?

I wasn’t worried, I’m just telling you what I observed.

• Advertisement

April reopening in the balance according to the Irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's almost as if they don't think schools being open directly influences case numbers.
    Yesterday's briefing all about that we're moving too much etc.

I'd be fearful that NPHET are gonna keep this lockdown until vaccinations really start moving.
    And no politician has the balls to say boo to them now

• Subscribers Posts: 41,193 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

at this stage case numbers are completely the wrong metric to be making decisions on.

the vast majority of case numbers are in the age range which are least effected. (74% under 45, median age of 32 ! )

they need to focus on hospital admissions and ICU admissions.... which are both thankfully very, very manageable currently

we are coming into warmer days, brighter evenings, with more outdoor activity happening.

there is compelling arguments to make to open up outdoor and well ventilated activities such as construction

sydthebeat wrote: »
    at this stage case numbers are completely the wrong metric to be making decisions on.

the vast majority of case numbers are in the age range which are least effected. (74% under 45, median age of 32 ! )

they need to focus on hospital admissions and ICU admissions.... which are both thankfully very, very manageable currently

we are coming into warmer days, brighter evenings, with more outdoor activity happening.

there is compelling arguments to make to open up outdoor and well ventilated activities such as construction

There is no argument to close sites.

There never was.

They never closed anywhere in Europe in 2021.

I am utterly baffled at how we have got to this situation.

There is no data supporting closing sites.

It is a measure simply to ease the nerves of scared middle Ireland who have been terrified by 12 months of fear mongering in the media.

I actually think the large projects going on around the Dept of Health on Baggot St have had a direct impact on the decision to close them.

The annointed ones in NPHET could see gangs of lads with nordy accents hangin around on lunch and said that doesn't look right and decided they need to go home and stay home until we are vaccinated.

And to hell with the economic and social impacts.

There is no argument to close sites.

There never was.

They never closed anywhere in Europe in 2021.

I am utterly baffled at how we have got to this situation.

There is no data supporting closing sites.

It is a measure simply to ease the nerves of scared middle Ireland who have been terrified by 12 months of fear mongering in the media.

I actually think the large projects going on around the Dept of Health on Baggot St have had a direct impact on the decision to close them.

The annointed ones in NPHET could see gangs of lads with nordy accents hangin around on lunch and said that doesn't look right and decided they need to go home and stay home until we are vaccinated.

And to hell with the economic and social impacts.

We talk to the CIF weekly.
    The message was "no way to keep construction open if we are closing schools."
    "We are heavily linked with schools opening"
    " No way we're getting to open in March if schools staying closed"

Last week they were optimistic

We talk to the CIF weekly.
    The message was "no way to keep construction open if we are closing schools."
    "We are heavily linked with schools opening"
    " No way we're getting to open in March if schools staying closed"

That's a mad message that got out there really when you think about it.

Construction sites being linked with schools.

A unique Irish approach.

Schools went to remote learning across Europe after Christmas but sites remained open.

We were high on the cases league table for a few days in January and it was panic stations and close it all up.

And here we are now with the clocks about to go forward and still doubt about reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this week not so much I would imagine

this week not so much I would imagine

Well Norma foley said yday we are on track for full school reopening after Easter so I guess we fully reopening construction too

It's tough on anyone that can't get their commencement notice in.

If they don't allow a return in April, it could be a long time before they reopen it.

Independent “ A phased reopening of construction sites is also on the table for next month, with an initial focus expected to be on the building of public and private homes. Work on office buildings would then be reviewed two weeks later.”

Irish times “
    onstruction will be allowed to resume on a phased basis from April 5th, beginning with home-building, under plans being considered by Ministers.

It comes amid a major lobbying push by the main representative group for builders, the Construction Industry Federation (CIF), which on Friday wrote to TDs warning them that “Government is being blamed” for the ongoing closure of the sector.“

Dust down those hard hast folks it’s almost time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dust down those hard hast folks it’s almost time :)

I'm a tradesman myself and have been working as an essential service all along. I don't think there will be dust on too many hard hats! Every one I know has been working one way or another.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm a tradesman myself and have been working as an essential service all along. I don't think there will be dust on too many hard hats! Every one I know has been working one way or another.

You think all the steel fixers, shuttering chippys, industrial plumbers and electricians been doing nixers?

There's tens of thousands out of work.
    There's a fairly serious loss of management to the UK.
    There's massive jobs on ice. Sisk, Walls, BAM, Collen, John Paul, Flynns all have majority of sites shut. All their subbies are feeling it.

Cashflow is starting to threaten some of the larger commercial builders.

Bullocks wrote: »

I was referring to self builders like myself who haven’t been able to get started :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

You think all the steel fixers, shuttering chippys, industrial plumbers and electricians been doing nixers?

There's tens of thousands out of work.
    There's a fairly serious loss of management to the UK.
    There's massive jobs on ice. Sisk, Walls, BAM, Collen, John Paul, Flynns all have majority of sites shut. All their subbies are feeling it.

Cashflow is starting to threaten some of the larger commercial builders.

All the one man bands thinking they’re great lads working through this on nixers and collecting the PUP have no concept of the actual damage this has done to our industry.There is a very real chance that within the next 12 -18 months they will start to feel the effect of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Had been tipping away on my house build over the past few weeks but one of my neighbours snitched on me to the Federales and I got busted today....cops were OK from what the lads said on site just pack up and go and they waited until the lads left. Ah well

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Had been tipping away on my house build over the past few weeks but one of my neighbours snitched on me to the Federales and I got busted today....cops were OK from what the lads said on site just pack up and go and they waited until the lads left. Ah well

Shocking that someone would snitch on you. Did you have lots of people onsite? Were they wearing masks? Busybodies.

There is some strange people out there. Do they really have nothing better to be at than reporting people for building their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I actually had a surprise visit from the HSA about 3 weeks ago as well in the middle of the lockdown and they said nothing. Just pulled my builder on a few minor issues. TBH I suppose I did take the piss and at times, there could have been 3 or 4 vans on site some days. My initial reason was to finish off the roof as they had just started to put rafters on I wanted to felt and batten it to make it structurally safe. But we just kept going....

Here's hoping they start back up again in 2 weeks but I'm not confident...unfortunately.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I actually had a surprise visit from the HSA about 3 weeks ago as well in the middle of the lockdown and they said nothing. Just pulled my builder on a few minor issues. TBH I suppose I did take the piss and at times, there could have been 3 or 4 vans on site some days. My initial reason was to finish off the roof as they had just started to put rafters on I wanted to felt and batten it to make it structurally safe. But we just kept going....

Here's hoping they start back up again in 2 weeks but I'm not confident...unfortunately.

Your 'surprise' visit may have been a tip off by the same people perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

No. You wouldn't be confident based on the way things are going.

Can you just start up again and if you get shut down so be it? Or do you run the risk of getting a fine? Would the Gardaí have any authority to fine you?

Advertisement