Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Had been tipping away on my house build over the past few weeks but one of my neighbours snitched on me to the Federales and I got busted today....cops were OK from what the lads said on site just pack up and go and they waited until the lads left. Ah well

Typical its only a person been jealous, if you meet that neighbour on the road he would tell you you have a lovely house .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

this week not so much I would imagine
    Few bits from CIF........

Houses and apartments open on the 5th.
    IF no large rise in cases.

Best case rest of construction back the 19th April.
    More likely the 5th May.

Micheal and Leo are completely **** scared on disagreement with NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Few bits from CIF........

Houses and apartments open on the 5th.
    IF no large rise in cases.

Best case rest of construction back the 19th April.
    More likely the 5th May.

Micheal and Leo are completely **** scared on disagreement with NPHET

There is enormous pressure on them to allow house builds to go ahead . I think unless things go completely pear shaped by this tile next week the green light will be given
    Stay strong for another week people please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    No. You wouldn't be confident based on the way things are going.

Can you just start up again and if you get shut down so be it? Or do you run the risk of getting a fine? Would the Gardaí have any authority to fine you?

Its a joke to be honest. Most house builds wouldn't generally have many people working on them obviously depends on the size of the house but based on my own experience the different trades would be spread out with maybe 1 or 2 labourers in and out.

Regarding fines, I personally know of a publican that continues to operate with roughly 6/7 people in his pub and has been raided many times now. I'm assuming he isn't getting fined so would assume it would be the same for yourself with the builders.

Its gone beyond a joke now with construction, especially the phase reopening currently being proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Your 'surprise' visit may have been a tip off by the same people perhaps.

I have 40+ years to figure this one out "who was it?...." :cool: :p

I'm not getting too upset about it, the road is busy enough so it could have been some one passing everyday and got pissed off his site wasn't doing anything.

Regarding fines I did hear (from my kitchen man) that there was a builder in Cork got fined €3000 for working during COVID a couple of weeks back,so that is happening.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the current situation regarding non essential construction taking place during the current lockdown?

I seem to be passing more and more houses with builders back working as normal. Two on my own street, and four on the next street over.
    One of them had a concrete lorry outside this morning, and they were pumping the foundations for a big extension going on to the back of the house.

Another house has a load of workers travelling down from Monaghan on a frequent basis.

Is it just a case of Gardaí turning a blind eye to small scale construction on individual houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

The construction lockdown is a huge myth. All the major sites never closed at all and workers were just brought in there from the few sites that were closed.

About a fortnight into the "construction lockdown" there was van loads doing work to private houses on the estate. Yellow reg company work vehicles around like there was nothing going on. And theres been no let up, it's been getting busier if anything.

It was part of the problem when govt didnt actually come out and say what was and was not classed as essential. If you spoke to 100% of builders, 100% of them would consider whatever work they're doing is essential.

Its frustrating when the rest of us are at home having been laid off work but not a lot you can do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dobman88 wrote: »
    It was part of the problem when govt didn't actually come out and say what was and was not classed as essential. If you spoke to 100% of builders, 100% of them would consider whatever work they're doing is essential.

Its frustrating when the rest of us are at home having been laid off work but not a lot you can do.

I'd have thought most one off residential extension projects wouldn't be classed as essential, and that work could continue if the house was almost complete.

But the house that had the concrete truck outside today were having foundations poured for a big extension.

I fully understand that lockdown restrictions are tough, but I feel for the workers that are obeying the rules, while some people are just carrying on as normal.

dobman88 wrote: »
    The construction lockdown is a huge myth. All the major sites never closed at all and workers were just brought in there from the few sites that were closed.

About a fortnight into the "construction lockdown" there was van loads doing work to private houses on the estate. Yellow reg company work vehicles around like there was nothing going on. And theres been no let up, it's been getting busier if anything.

It was part of the problem when govt didnt actually come out and say what was and was not classed as essential. If you spoke to 100% of builders, 100% of them would consider whatever work they're doing is essential.

Walls have 1 site open
    Flynns have zero.
    Sisk have shut 6 Dublin city centre sites I know of.

Anecdotal Extensions, patios and a few new toilets do not cover any percentage of the massive shutdowns around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The construction lockdown is no myth in my household and whilst I do know some sites are open but unfortunately the majority is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The construction lockdown is no myth in my household and whilst I do know some sites are open but unfortunately the majority is closed.

Same as that here , small business and all our sites are closed , doing minor roof repairs and maintenance etc but nothing substantial enough to pay the over heads

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

The guys implying the construction lockdown is a myth and that construction is working away as normal... they honestly haven't the slightest clue about the industry.

The impact of this ongoing restriction will be widespread and severe. No company will emerge unscathed no matter their financial standing. The largest constructors are feeling the squeeze as much as anyone, businesses effectively frozen, cash reserves dwindling, financiers ready to walk and projects about to dissolve. The cost alone of resuming projects will be excruciating for many companies.

Article in today's independent about MAC Group and their UK financiers paints the picture clearly... get open or get lost. This has the potential to go bad quick.. a big project or two stalls and a big builder and hundreds of their subbies and suppliers stalls with it.

Keeping construction locked down is suicidal.

The decision makers are salaried and pensioned.
    They had no need to leave the country last decade and they'll be just fine this decade.
    Those who get up early are being shafted the last 2 months.

dollylama wrote: »
    The guys implying the construction lockdown is a myth and that construction is working away as normal... they honestly haven't the slightest clue about the industry.

The impact of this ongoing restriction will be widespread and severe. No company will emerge unscathed no matter their financial standing. The largest constructors are feeling the squeeze as much as anyone, businesses effectively frozen, cash reserves dwindling, financiers ready to walk and projects about to dissolve. The cost alone of resuming projects will be excruciating for many companies.

Article in today's independent about MAC Group and their UK financiers paints the picture clearly... get open or get lost. This has the potential to go bad quick.. a big project or two stalls and a big builder and hundreds of their subbies and suppliers stalls with it.

Keeping construction locked down is suicidal.

People seeing a few construction workers here or there and maybes small house builds operating assuming that's the construction sector open across the board.

Any major site I worked on had Covid measures in place and were pretty strict. Its the little domestic sites that your more likely to pick something up on as nobody is enforcing the rules and tradesmen would be on top of each other.

The only reason I can think of is the Government don't want people travelling from all over the country to the big sites. Its a joke at this point to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    People seeing a few construction workers here or there and maybes small house builds operating assuming that's the construction sector open across the board.

Any major site I worked on had Covid measures in place and were pretty strict. Its the little domestic sites that your more likely to pick something up on as nobody is enforcing the rules and tradesmen would be on top of each other.

The only reason I can think of is the Government don't want people travelling from all over the country to the big sites. Its a joke at this point to be honest.

I think that's the thinking behind it, its to restrict the movement of people.

There are two types of construction sites in my opinion... big ones and small ones....

The big ones can afford and have the supervision to enforce proper COVID regulations, everybody is logged in the morning so tracing is easy and in big sites works can be spread out to limit infection, so I don't think its much of an issue.

The small sites like my house build/extensions are mostly out in the open with only a couple of people on site and again can be easily managed.

It was all working ok up until the Christmas free for all when they opened up the pubs and we are paying the price now :(

Like most in the industry, my concern is the knock on effect for future projects. The industry was in a great place before Covid struck.

I hope to god we see a drop in numbers from yesterday
    The noises coming out from Ministers are worrying now
    It’s a very stressful time to be tying to build a house for your family to live in :(

km79 wrote: »
    I hope to god we see a drop in numbers from yesterday
    The noises coming out from Ministers are worrying now
    It’s a very stressful time to be tying to build a house for your family to live in :(

Just off the blower with my builder and kitchen man and they are hearing it could be June....:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Glebee wrote: »
    I think that's the thinking behind it, its to restrict the movement of people.

While crippling the country for years .

Like any one element of lockdown i can understand it

But its a balancing act between priorities and costs.

The majority of sites should be open asap the main bottleneck in this country right now is residential property and the govt have to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Schools are sending books home with kids as a precaution in case they don't come back after easter. I don't like the sound of that.
    If schools are closed again construction obviously stays closed, jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

17larsson wrote: »
    Schools are sending books home with kids as a precaution in case they don't come back after easter. I don't like the sound of that.

Construction has to be prioritised before schools.

Crucial to the economy and country long term and a safer environment than 30 kids packed into a classroom.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just off the blower with my builder and kitchen man and they are hearing it could be June....:eek::eek::eek:

I’ll cry

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

17larsson wrote: »

Schools closed across Europe after Christmas.

Construction sites remained open throughout Europe after Christmas.

This can't be stated enough times.

We are the only country to invent the idea of "non-essential" Construction.

600 cases
    There is still hope .....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

heard today of one section of construction thats definitely back on 6th April, employees already been notified by email.

hopefully domestic construction will be included from 5th April

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

sydthebeat wrote: »
    heard today of one section of construction thats definitely back on 6th April, employees already been notified by email.

hopefully domestic construction will be included from 5th April

care to say which section?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mickey15ie wrote: »
    care to say which section?

Not going to say specifically, but it's got to do with electrics

Advertisement