Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40251668.html

Construction seems to have dropped out of the conversation again
    Worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Sick of hearing the next few weeks are critical. We have been hearing that for the last 54 weeks and counting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Sick of hearing the next few weeks are critical. We have been hearing that for the last 54 weeks and counting.

ICU admissions are down to 75 from a high of 212 in january

that is the single more significant factor we should be looking at when making decisions

put on top of that the median age of cases is 33 !!
    that means the high case numbers are in the least effected age groups

the over 85 (the most at risk group) are practically all vaccinated at this stage

there is simply no reason for construction to stay closed come april

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Walls have 1 site open

What’s the reason for them being allowed to have a site open?

Effects wrote: »

maybe its a social housing site, or a strategic development site?

as per the first post....
    Construction will close from 6pm on Friday 8 January, with limited exceptions including:

1. essential health and related projects including those relevant to preventing, limiting, minimising or slowing the spread of COVID-19
    2. social housing projects, including voids, designated as essential sites by Local Authorities based on set criteria
    3. housing adaptation grants where the homeowner is agreeable to adaptions being undertaken in their home
    4.repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure
    5. education facilities sites designated as essential by Department of Education
    6. supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis
    certain large construction projects in the exporting / FDI sector based on set criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Deemed essential
    I'd guess social housing.

km79 wrote: »
    600 cases
    There is still hope .....

NPHET have the data they need now . Open up

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spicebagnoveg

Do you think there's a chance of them opening up construction April 5th?

I received contact today from our builder about advancing things....they must be confident.

I received contact today from our builder about advancing things....they must be confident.
    Well the cases have not escalated as feared at start of week so let’s hope so .
    Nervous weekend ahead

• Advertisement

Do you think there's a chance of them opening up construction April 5th?

Still think housing only.
    It's what we were all told last week.

It's not enough for a lot of companies but will relieve the pressure on the government

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Not going to say specifically, but it's got to do with electrics

Either say it or don't. Not fair to liven up hopes of people if it's like the nondescript information such as what you posted.

Either say it or don't. Not fair to liven up hopes of people if it's like the nondescript information such as what you posted.

I have no control about how other people take up the post, if they misconstrue it that's their fault!! If you think it's nondescript then you simply haven't understood the words.

So ill repeat it again for the ones in the back..

I know of one sector in the construction industry, which pertains to electrics, which had been shut since January, who have emailed all their workers to let them know they are starting back on April 6th.

That's a factual statement.... I'm presenting it alone without any inference to anything else.

Irish times reporting that construction return will be very gradual with home building prioritized initially. I’ve a horrible feeling there will be a kick in this yet. Maybe they will say only homes that have started can be completed or something like that
    Our commencement notice is gone in with a date of April 6th on it . So if we get the ok on that it won’t really matter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

mickey15ie wrote: »
    care to say which section?

We do headstones and we are back since thursday

Case numbers still around the 600 mark
    Hospital , icu and positivity rate have all fallen over last 7 days
    Plenty of data there for NPHET to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Case numbers still around the 600 mark
    Hospital , icu and positivity rate have all fallen over last 7 days
    Plenty of data there for NPHET to work with

Probably no point at this stage trying to second guess what they're going to do because as we've seen before, they are liable to do anything and logic doesn't usually apply.

“ But there is fresh doubt over whether the construction sector will be allowed to reopen - even partially to allow for work on private homes - amid concerns this could have an impact on the Government's commitment to allow all secondary students to return to school on April 12.”

Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

“ But there is fresh doubt over whether the construction sector will be allowed to reopen - even partially to allow for work on private homes - amid concerns this could have an impact on the Government's commitment to allow all secondary students to return to school on April 12.”

Independent

If they don't open it partially on April 6th it will not open until 2022.

If they don't open it partially on April 6th it will not open until 2022.

Huh?
    That's a bit off the wall.
    A million vaccines coming in april (supposedly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Chrizi

In the last hour on RTE Catherine Martin and Simon Coveney have both mentioned that the government will be looking at allowing more construction. So hope is not lost.

Chrizi wrote: »
    In the last hour on RTE Catherine Martin and Simon Coveney have both mentioned that the government will be looking at allowing more construction. So hope is not lost.

Just seen that
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0328/1206625-coronavirus-restrictions/

I think it will be the govts call to make
    NPHET will likely advise against it
    The govt will have to decide what is the best approach on balance ....

“ Construction - Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien is lobbying his colleagues to lift the ban on construction next month on a phased basis. Mr O’Brien has proposed allowing residential building return from April 5, followed by commercials construction two weeks later if case numbers allow for it.”
    Interesting.........but will MM have the balls to do it

“ The reopening of the construction industry is said to be the major doubt ahead of Tuesday's announcement on restrictions, with some sources wary of the potential for intercounty travel associated with tradespersons working on different sites.”

It’s just stupid now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

It passed stupid a long time ago.

Having read all the leaks I think the most likely scenario is ............nothing will happen before schools go back on April 12th. House building will be allowed to resume 2 weeks later SUBJECT TO NPHET ADVICE. Full scale return 2 weeks later again subject to NPHET advice.
    Another scenario similar to above but only for houses nearing completion. Which would be daft as most of that work would be of the indoor type .......another nervous 24 hours ahead. It has really affected my mood this weekend.
    My family and I have been ultra compliant throughout. I have a head of hair on me like Maroune Fellaini :D
    So if I am feeling like this I think there has probably been a general mood shift amongst other like minded people. Any protests at the weekend won't just have right wing loons in attendance I would say.
    Total lack of leadership. It is hard to take now

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Having read all the leaks I think the most likely scenario is ............nothing will happen before schools go back on April 12th. House building will be allowed to resume 2 weeks later SUBJECT TO NPHET ADVICE. Full scale return 2 weeks later again subject to NPHET advice.
    Another scenario similar to above but only for houses nearing completion. Which would be daft as most of that work would be of the indoor type .......another nervous 24 hours ahead. It has really affected my mood this weekend.
    My family and I have been ultra compliant throughout. I have a head of hair on me like Maroune Fellaini :D
    So if I am feeling like this I think there has probably been a general mood shift amongst other like minded people. Any protests at the weekend won't just have right wing loons in attendance I would say.
    Total lack of leadership. It is hard to take now

Construction should be back first. If cases numbers allow it, schools should return two weeks later.

Government need to wake up and realise the long term impact to the economy.

Construction is already being allowed in a fairly major way, so surely it's just going to open up officially after the easter break.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Construction is already being allowed in a fairly major way, so surely it's just going to open up officially after the easter break.

That’s a very strange way of looking at it.

Construction has been majorly restricted in Ireland.

It is restricted nowhere else in Europe.

Places that have much higher incidence rates and lower vaccination rates never restricted construction activities.
    It never would’ve even entered their heads to do so.

Because we were high in terms of case numbers for a few days in Jan the authorities in Ireland shít the bed and here we are now nearly April and still closed.

An absolute farce.

And there is feck all data to back up the restrictions.

• Advertisement

That’s a very strange way of looking at it.

Construction has been majorly restricted in Ireland.

More and more builders are going back to work every day.
    Loads of building going on in my area on private houses.
    Drove past three building sites in the space of 5 houses on Griffith Avenue today. Two of them on two semi detached, with different builders.
    Building site on the next road over from me had a concrete truck doing foundations for their extension last week. Small mixer going in the front garden today, presumably for the block work.
    A friend of mine had his stairs go in for his renovation last week, with builder saying he'll be back on track to have everything done by June.

The government are saying one thing, and then turning a blind eye.

Advertisement