Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Effects wrote: »
    More and more builders are going back to work every day.
    Loads of building going on in my area on private houses.
    Drove past three building sites in the space of 5 houses on Griffith Avenue today. Two of them on two semi detached, with different builders.
    Building site on the next road over from me had a concrete truck doing foundations for their extension last week. Small mixer going in the front garden today, presumably for the block work.
    A friend of mine had his stairs go in for his renovation last week, with builder saying he'll be back on track to have everything done by June.

The government are saying one thing, and then turning a blind eye.

That doesn’t help people like myself who can’t get started on building our home
    It has to be official . Can’t get commencement notice .
    We are at our wits end now . We have to get started

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

km79 wrote: »
    That doesn’t help people like myself who can’t get started on building our home
    It has to be official . Can’t get commencement notice .
    We are at our wits end now . We have to get started

I really feel for you in that case.
    But don't a lot of people build without commencement notices? Depends on your builder really.

Plenty of people let builders away without following regs, once they just do what they have been instructed to do.
    "It's not the builders job to follow regulations" is often the way it's viewed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I really feel for you in that case.
    But don't a lot of people build without commencement notices? Depends on your builder really.

If the builder works for free.... Great

However you cannot draw down a mortgage without a commencement notice being granted

I’ve also heard rumors about site insurance being invalidated of working through restrictions

But that’s an aside as we haven’t got commencement notice
    We did apply with a date of April 6th as our commencement date as we also heard a few people do that in the run up to March 5th and they got it so here’s hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I see people still harping on about these bits and pieces of houses and extensions.

The main builders are shut.
    Sisk, walls, Flynns, purcells, Collen, bam (bar nch), john Paul......they have hundreds of subbies, designers, suppliers....

Nobody is paying anyone else. Cash is king.
    Its a ****ing disaster of uncertainty and terrible leadership
    There's tens of thousands out of work.
    There's managers being poached left, right and center to the UK.
    There's eastern europeans gone to germany or home.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If the builder works for free.... Great

However you cannot draw down a mortgage without a commencement notice being granted

Don't most banks require you to use up your own funds before drawing down your mortgage? That's how it worked for me, with AIB.

So maybe builders are working that way, and anticipating that sites will be officially opened up by the time the mortgage payments will kick in.

I see people still harping on about these bits and pieces of houses and extensions.

So you don't care about smaller builders trying to make ends meet, just the big guys?
    The same big guys who squeeze their sub-contractors as hard as they can to get more out of it for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

So you don't care about smaller builders trying to make ends meet, just the big guys?
    The same big guys who squeeze their sub-contractors as hard as they can to get more out of it for themselves?

The big guys are already doing this. When the sites opened up last year the big guys changed the goal posts. Expected the same number of people on site and no change to accommodate covid19 rules. Know a good few trades where this has happened with a particular builder. Withholding payments became the norm and no protection from CIF.

Typical boards.
    Read a line and ignore the rest of the post where I pointed out that the big boys have supply chains who aren't being paid.

I happen to work for one of the supply chain and have been on a 4 day week all year.

Typical boards.
    Read a line and ignore the rest of the post where I pointed out that the big boys have supply chains who aren't being paid.

I happen to work for one of the supply chain and have been on a 4 day week all year.

Sorry about that. I thought you were one of those guys moaning about how the big contractors aren't open, and that's the main problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It has to be official .

The nixer and one man band economy is booming but those of us doing the right thing are being penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The main builders are shut.
    Sisk, walls, Flynns, purcells, Collen, bam (bar nch), john Paul......they have hundreds of subbies, designers, suppliers....

Nobody is paying anyone else. Cash is king.
    Its a ****ing disaster of uncertainty and terrible leadership
    There's tens of thousands out of work.
    There's managers being poached left, right and center to the UK.
    There's eastern europeans gone to germany or home.

It all comes down to the client and how much of a say they have over the government. For most of last year I was working as a consultant for a multi-national and nothing stopped.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    It all comes down to the client and how much of a say they have over the government. For most of last year I was working as a consultant for a multi-national and nothing stopped.

We have FDI jobs. They're open. On one today.
    But take any of our major commercial builds, esp in Dublin. All shut

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The biggest site close to me, Cherrywood, is also shut.

Much needed accommodation for the area in which the vulture funds are going to screw the Government for renting.

Looks like April 12th for housing
    Not as bad as feared

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Looks like April 12th for housing
    Not as bad as feared

Interesting. What source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

From RTE

"Cabinet is still meeting at present, but here’s a brief rundown of what we know on what’s being discussed so far:

The 5km rule may be scrapped from 12 April
    Two fully vaccinated people may be able to meet up indoors from 12 April
    Outdoor sports, like tennis and golf, and non-contact training for under 18s looks like it could be permitted from 26 April
    The phased re-opening of retail, construction and personal services such as hairdressers looks set to be delayed until May at the earliest."

Eh?
    The rte site says the following

The return to work of construction workers building homes is also expected in the middle of the month.

The anticipated timing of these changes will either follow or occur around the same time that all primary and secondary school students are set to return to the classroom on 12 April.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0330/1206901-covid-19-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

Eh?
    The rte site says the following

The return to work of construction workers building homes is also expected in the middle of the month.

The anticipated timing of these changes will either follow or occur around the same time that all primary and secondary school students are set to return to the classroom on 12 April.

I was reading the live reporting column. It was posted about 15:10. Hopefully I've just misinterpreted it.

• Advertisement

I was reading the live reporting column. It was posted about 15:10. Hopefully I've just misinterpreted it.

It is the rest of commercial construction
    House building back mid April . Hopefully 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just announced by Mehole, house construction can commence / recommence

muffler wrote: »
    Just announced by Mehole, house construction can commence / recommence

Yep and childcare construction for some reason.
    Schools never stopped.
    Is it just for those creches within new housing estates??
    Or are there a ball of creches being built that I don't know about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yep and childcare construction for some reason.
    Schools never stopped.
    Is it just for those creches within new housing estates??
    Or are there a ball of creches being built that I don't know about

Looks good in the headlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I had been tipping away on my house build over the past few weeks until one of my neighbours tipped off the Guards last week and they shut me down. I had my windows scheduled to be delivered today and when my builder went to reschedule he was told it could be 6 weeks+ before the next slot....So we rolled the dice today and went ahead with the delivery and install.

Didn't sleep a wink last night thinking about windows and whether I would get arrested :P:P

Anyway good news got them done and dusted, I think if I didn't get them done today it could have delayed me by months.

There is massive pent up work out there and if you dont have it organized by now I think you can forget about it for months.

See this post from Rationel Windows on Instagram (they are not my window supplier) and all the windows they have in storage:eek: how many weeks will it take them to clear all this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM2KsypHQ8s/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I had my windows scheduled to be delivered today and when my builder went to reschedule he was told it could be 6 weeks+ before the next slot....So we rolled the dice today and went ahead with the delivery and install.

Well done. Getting the windows in on a build is a big milestone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

0lddog wrote: »

We are still caught till the 19th I think
    Apart from preparation works of course of which there is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 11 toshiba01

Does that include works on private homes (extensions, etc)?

My builder says it doesn't & I can't find any press release that says otherwise.

The Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage Darragh O’Brien TD has welcomed the announcement of the phased reopening of construction set to begin on April 12th.

From April 12th all residential construction projects can recommence and the construction of Early Learning Childcare and School Aged Childcare facilities will be added to the list of essential services for construction activity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

toshiba01 wrote: »
    Does that include works on private homes (extensions, etc)?

My builder says it doesn't & I can't find any press release that says otherwise.

The Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage Darragh O’Brien TD has welcomed the announcement of the phased reopening of construction set to begin on April 12th.

From April 12th all residential construction projects can recommence and the construction of Early Learning Childcare and School Aged Childcare facilities will be added to the list of essential services for construction activity.

Yes it includes residential works.
    S.I. 156 of 2021.

Advertisement