Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    For those that are adhering to restrictions and have not started or continued building.

If the government continue to extend the restrictions on construction into the summer, at what point are you going to decide you've had enough and just decide to get going with your project?

Possibly next week. One builder on his own outside. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    For those that are adhering to restrictions and have not started or continued building.

If the government continue to extend the restrictions on construction into the summer, at what point are you going to decide you've had enough and just decide to get going with your project?

April 6th
    We need somewhere to live
    Tbh I expect we will be able to anyways . Schools have been given the go ahead for next phase of reopening from next Monday . I don’t think there will be a huge jump in numbers as majority of secondary students will still be at home . After Easter could be a different story but vaccines numbers will be going up weekly
    This has to be the last nationwide lockdown !

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

km79 wrote: »
    April 6th
    We need somewhere to live
    Tbh I expect we will be able to anyways . Schools have been given the go ahead for next phase of reopening from next Monday . I don’t think there will be a huge jump in numbers as majority of secondary students will still be at home . After Easter could be a different story but vaccines numbers will be going up weekly
    This has to be the last nationwide lockdown !

Wouldn't be overly confident that construction restrictions will be lifted in April.

There is so much construction going on now that they may feel there is no need for it open it formally for a while more. Majority of rural one offs are back now with a blind eye being turned. The enforcement of the restrictions is farcical to say the least.

Just unfortunate for those who can't get going or have had to stop.

We've just been given notice that we need to be out for July. We've no contract/lease as we're staying in a holiday home which is ordinarily reserved for short term bookings but made an arrangement with the owner. He told us we need to be gone by July. We have a good 7 months work ahead on our home (and that's ambitious) and it's currently a ghost building site, shut down since January after 1.5 weeks work and half demolished.

I am seeking some official permission to proceed now (from HSE) but I am not holding my breath. We both work, pay way more than our fair share of tax (effective tax rate of 48%) we have two small kids and we are losing 2k per month in rent, while paying mortgage on an abandoned property, until July, at which point we will be homeless. We're getting hammered here by this. Our builder is looking for some commitment he won't be shut down before he takes people off the PUP. I don't think anyone will provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    We've just been given notice that we need to be out for July. We've no contract/lease as we're staying in a holiday home which is ordinarily reserved for short term bookings but made an arrangement with the owner. He told us we need to be gone by July. We have a good 7 months work ahead on our home (and that's ambitious) and it's currently a ghost building site, shut down since January after 1.5 weeks work and half demolished.

I am seeking some official permission to proceed now (from HSE) but I am not holding my breath. We both work, pay way more than our fair share of tax (effective tax rate of 48%) we have two small kids and we are losing 2k per month in rent, while paying mortgage on an abandoned property, until July, at which point we will be homeless. We're getting hammered here by this. Our builder is looking for some commitment he won't be shut down before he takes people off the PUP. I don't think anyone will provide it.

Ive one self building client who got some form of letter after badgering local td and councillors. He is back on site anyway! I dont personally agree with some getting ahead like this but thats the way things tend to go.
    Surely your mortgage couldnt be too crippling as you have nothing built yet.

• Advertisement

I’d be sending that to every local politician and newspaper
    That’s the reality for some families and it’s not being acknowledged

mickdw wrote: »
    Ive one self building client who got some form of letter after badgering local td and councillors. He is back on site anyway! I dont personally agree with some getting ahead like this but thats the way things tend to go.
    Surely your mortgage couldnt be too crippling as you have nothing built yet.

I got a letter from a TD and councillor too but they don't have the authority to approve it officially. So based on that we stayed closed. Our mortgage isn't crippling on its own but lob in 2k rent per month on top and we're being cleaned out. We (my wife and I) had to have a frank discussion yesterday about whether or not we could afford a utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

I’d be sending that to every local politician and newspaper
    That’s the reality for some families and it’s not being acknowledged

They don't care.

No politician has stood up and questioned why a mostly safe outdoor activity has been largely shutdown for 8 weeks now with another 4 at least to go.

Media largely treat NPHET "advice" like Gospel while industry representatives like Tom Parlon get grilled instead.

Construction firms of all sizes now suffering seriously.
    Those waiting on homes suffering too.

Official Ireland has shrugged it's shoulders as if there is nothing that can be done.

Basically, put everyone waiting for a home or those trying to run business building homes in the same category as the barman.

"Ye are fcuked waiting there lads, NPHET says so and we can't work around that!"

Pretty much. At least a barperson who's out of work gets some compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I looked for the go ahead from the HSE and they just replied a copy and paste from the government covid restrictions guidelines about construction.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I looked for the go ahead from the HSE and they just replied a copy and paste from the government covid restrictions guidelines about construction.

I expect the same. Seems no one is able to provide authority or clarity. The Gardai won't comment one way or another unless they are showing up onsite. If I move back into my house tomorrow, there is an awful lot of work that could be classed as emergency given it's like Aleppo at the moment.

Is that the only way to test the water, so to speak? To proceed and answer questions later? I've no choice now we played ball for over 3 months.

I wouldn’t know enough to give anyone advice but if it was under my control and lads were happy to travel to site I would open up and take the risk.

What is it a €2k fine for operating a site against restrictions?

How much is endless months of paying rent going to ultimately cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I am discussing with the builder than if he starts and is slapped with a fine, we promise we'll pay for it. We think it's worth a shot because if we can move in by May it saves us another month of rent but we can move into our own place.

I'm tired of paying rent and mortgage - playing ball with the govs last minute, made up as they go along plans - we're crammed here both working from home in a tiny apartment while our house we scrimped for is a vacant money pit. Our mental health is suffering more than anything else. We haven't seen our families since December (we obey the 5km and all the other rules) but I think everything is really starting to wear thin now.

Why is social housing a priority but those who have worked for it must wait and pay even more money for an overpriced house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Anecdotally, I'm on a house at the moment full crew on site and two guards doing the tiling in their spare time on their days off. You couldn't make it up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Couple bits I saw yesterday

We really are an outlier

Obviously both put out by CIF. One is a report (i assume they commissioned) by McKinseys

Pink11 wrote: »
    I am discussing with the builder than if he starts and is slapped with a fine, we promise we'll pay for it. We think it's worth a shot because if we can move in by May it saves us another month of rent but we can move into our own place.

I'm tired of paying rent and mortgage - playing ball with the govs last minute, made up as they go along plans - we're crammed here both working from home in a tiny apartment while our house we scrimped for is a vacant money pit. Our mental health is suffering more than anything else. We haven't seen our families since December (we obey the 5km and all the other rules) but I think everything is really starting to wear thin now.

Why is social housing a priority but those who have worked for it must wait and pay even more money for an overpriced house?

I couldn't agree more. It's so unfair. We are moving to a new development and were told 2 weeks ago it's delayed till October, but now its going to be November before the house is built! Unfair how social housing is more priority when the rest of us pay our taxes and scrimp and scrape to buy our own houses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It's blatent discrimination.

It's shocking how noone is calling the government out on it.

If it were private housing been built and not social you would have every opposition party from SF to the profit screaming about how unfair it is blah.

You have my upmost sympathy.

So so unfair.

I expect the same. Seems no one is able to provide authority or clarity. The Gardai won't comment one way or another unless they are showing up onsite. If I move back into my house tomorrow, there is an awful lot of work that could be classed as emergency given it's like Aleppo at the moment.

Is that the only way to test the water, so to speak? To proceed and answer questions later? I've no choice now we played ball for over 3 months.

Yes. The mantra seems to be go ahead until you're stopped. You're just reliant on nobody reporting you.

Banana Republic.

I wouldn’t know enough to give anyone advice but if it was under my control and lads were happy to travel to site I would open up and take the risk.

What is it a €2k fine for operating a site against restrictions?

How much is endless months of paying rent going to ultimately cost?

The legalities of the fines won't stand up in court anyways. They cannot constitutionally stop people building their home for months and class it as non essential. It is essential, people need a place to live just as much as those on social housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seems to me that "emergency" work is completely open to interpertation. What you consider an emergency may not be someone elses. So, if the work is somewhat "emergency" you're fine. If someone reports you and HSE are called out, they will make the call. If you're installing italian marble flooring, they'll probably fine you. If you're weatherproofing an existing structure, like finishing a roof, you'll be fine. Might be told to stop, but probably won't be fined.

Good point about moving back into to the house. HSE seem to only classed a lot of work as emergency if someone is living there. My builder has said he's coming back in 2 weeks. Only reason he's not back now is he actually got covid and it took time to recover.

• Advertisement

Now they’re saying things won’t budge until mid May!?

Now they’re saying things won’t budge until mid May!?

Who said this ?

Who said this ?

Breaking News have the following which is at odds with that comment you're asking about.

"Current Level 5 measures are set to remain until April 5th, after which time Mr Martin said any changes made will stay in effect until mid-May.

It is thought construction will be permitted to reopen as part of the easing, while the 5km limit may also be lifted, and people may be allowed to meet in small groups outdoors."

• Subscribers Posts: 41,036 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leo and Mehole talking out of both sides of their mouth again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Frozen Veg wrote:
    Yes. The mantra seems to be go ahead until you're stopped. You're just reliant on nobody reporting you.

Reporting doesn't matter either. House near me being fully renovated. They've been reported but nothing changes. They're not even discreet.

Breaking News have the following which is at odds with that comment you're asking about.

"Current Level 5 measures are set to remain until April 5th, after which time Mr Martin said any changes made will stay in effect until mid-May.

It is thought construction will be permitted to reopen as part of the easing, while the 5km limit may also be lifted, and people may be allowed to meet in small groups outdoors."

Everything I’ve read indicates construction will reopen
    The only question is what type .....

I was fully convinced construction was re-opening on March 5th. Was gobsmacked when they moved the goal post again at the eleventh hour.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was fully convinced construction was re-opening on March 5th. Was gobsmacked when they moved the goal post again at the eleventh hour.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ya they just appeared to stop talking about 5th march and moved it on.
    I wouldnt be betting on any dates until they get a hefty amount of vaccine out and schools running to plan.

• Advertisement

It's blatent discrimination.

It's shocking how noone is calling the government out on it.

If it were private housing been built and not social you would have every opposition party from SF to the profit screaming about how unfair it is blah.

You have my upmost sympathy.

So so unfair.

I have only just noticed now that the regulations have been quietly changed re Social Housing;

"; the construction or development of social housing by a local authority where the project is scheduled for completion by 30 April; "

It was previously 28 Feb.

Sickening actually.

And they apparently won't be "lobbied" by "sectoral interests".

They will just quietly keep going with this construction apartheid policy, looking after social housing targets.

And the opposition do not care.

And the media do not care.

Advertisement