Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Map of all the places mentioned in the Bible

http://www.about-jesus.org/all-bible-places-map.htm

545474.png

(some may be controversial interpretations)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bury is mentioned in the Bible. Not on that map.

As is Queen of the South. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

[...]

If you extend that map out, it goes as east as India, and west as Spain, and then Ethiopia to the south. I realise that would make the detail of the main action harder to see.

If you extend that map out, it goes as east as India, and west as Spain, and then Ethiopia to the south. I realise that would make the detail of the main action harder to see.

I did provide the link, assuming anyone interested would use it to see the actual interactive map, which you need to zoom out on to see the full extent, and zoom in on quite a bit to see the detail in the area around Israel. The screenshot I took was just an preview for the purposes of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I visited Cologne a few times in the past as we had friends living there. The underground terminates right next to it so you emerge from below ground looking up at it which makes it seem even bigger than it is. As far as I remember, the allies deliberately didn’t bomb it as it served as a landmark for the bombing raids. I stand open to correction.

You might be right about that. The Luftwaffe building in Berlin was used as a navigation tool. It's massive and survived the war intact.. Its like they forgot to bomb their navigation tool in the end.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of the tonnage dropped on residential and business areas was incendiary. Buildings like Cologne Cathedral burned out, but the walls still stood. Think of Notre Dame a couple of years ago.

Incendiaries caused terror and widespread damage to civilians, it was important to demoralise them. 'Regular' bombs were meant for industrial areas and infrastructure to cause more longer lasting damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You might be right about that. The Luftwaffe building in Berlin was used as a navigation tool. It's massive and survived the war intact.. Its like they forgot to bomb their navigation tool in the end.

Given that a bombing hit in WW2 mostly consisted of being within the same time zone as the target, I doubt incidents like that were incidental. One of the reasons the Allies switched to area bombing and incendiary weapons is due to that very fact, it was simply easier to incinerate an entire city rather than say, taking out a specific refinery or factory. It was presented as trying to wear down the fighting spirit of the civilian population but in effect, it was just giving in to the inaccuracies inherent in the technology of the time.

Even supposed "precision" strikes like the one that sank the Tirpitz effectively consisted of throwing as many bombs as possible at the target and hoping one or two would hit.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was in Laos 6 -7 years ago, beautiful country, still scarred by that bombing campaign 50 odd years ago. Still a load of no-go areas where there is unexploded ordnance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I read up on and watched a fantastic and disturbing documentary about CIA activities in Laos during the Secret War a few years ago. Basically, they had about 30-40 officers there (not a whole lot when you think of it) coordinating, training and arming hill tribes against the Pathet Lao.

Chief among them was CIA man named Tony Poe, who is the basis for Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz character in Apocolypse Now. He apparently instructed the Hmong hill tribe army to cut off the ears of Pathet Lao soldiers when they were killed, and would send boxes of bloodied ears to the CIA station at the American Embassy in Bangkok of proof of all the good work he was doing.

He lives in the US among the Hmong community he helped evacuate to America after the Vietnam war ended. Like Apocalypse Now, the Hmong in America very much worship him and he is some sort of secular saint to them despite him being an off-the-map spook who lost the plot in the jungle, and they're all super right-wing as well.

Completely bonkers story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭yagan

If I remember correctly the further away people are away from the Mekong the isolated and poorer they are, which may explain the poverty areas being mostly in the more mountainous eastern half of Laos.

More fertile and easier to farm and travel plains are in the west of Laos.

Also most of the population is in the easily farmed and travelled plains.

Nothing new about mountainous areas of a country being poor. They were more heavily bombed as they were next to Vietnam, were lawless at the time and offered handy shortcuts.

But it's interesting how we can develop up a point of view after only two maps are shown, they are powerful tools.

laos-physical-map-max.jpg

DfYOI8Mnf8klsyMb6-yYCcFsD4HZ-Wu8GSjNSJ0QabU.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&49e5149c

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Christmas carol "I saw three ships" tells of the Three Wise Men making their way by boat to Bethlehem? Well no not Bethlehem but Cologne where it's thought their relics were sailed up the river and interned in the Cathedral. I found this out years ago whilst in a very cold Cologne in December after just flying into Germany from a lovely warm Israel.

Funny thing is while a lot of Christmas carols are of German origin "Three Ships" is a British folk song that very few German's ever heard of.

Lovely city but better in Spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Yurt! wrote: »
    I read up on and watched a fantastic and disturbing documentary about CIA activities in Laos during the Secret War a few years ago. Basically, they had about 30-40 officers there (not a whole lot when you think of it) coordinating, training and arming hill tribes against the Pathet Lao.

Chief among them was CIA man named Tony Poe, who is the basis for Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz character in Apocolypse Now. He apparently instructed the Hmong hill tribe army to cut off the ears of Pathet Lao soldiers when they were killed, and would send boxes of bloodied ears to the CIA station at the American Embassy in Bangkok of proof of all the good work he was doing.

He lives in the US among the Hmong community he helped evacuate to America after the Vietnam war ended. Like Apocalypse Now, the Hmong in America very much worship him and he is some sort of secular saint to them despite him being an off-the-map spook who lost the plot in the jungle, and they're all super right-wing as well.

Completely bonkers story.

Great story. At the end of the day I can see how the Hmong treat him as a hero. Gave them leadership, a goal,funded them and then got them to America. Why wouldn't they worship him

rekvpul02pk61.jpg

Ireland imposed on the moon.

You can use this tool here to put any country onto any planet in the solar system.

https://engaging-data.com/mapping-countries-planets/?c=89&b=5

545849.PNG

moon_earth.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember seeing a picture years ago of the moon upon Australia and that's always helped my visualisations of its size.

moon-oz.gif

Having traveled from Sydney to Perth on the train I can safely say that there's as much on the moon as there is from Adelaide to Kalgoorlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

545474.png

Ayia Napa!!! :)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Ayia Napa!!! :)

It’s where Moses took the tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I remember seeing a picture years ago of the moon upon Australia and that's always helped my visualisations of its size.

moon-oz.gif

Having traveled from Sydney to Perth on the train I can safely say that there's as much on the moon as there is from Adelaide to Kalgoorlie.

I have done Perth - Melbourne, and return, in a semi, doing some of the driving and Perth - Adelaide driving a car, then Adelaide - Perth via bus. Not much indeed, but the night sky from the Nullarbor without any light pollution is just something to behold. The northern hemisphere night sky is just incredibly boring in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have done Perth - Melbourne, and return, in a semi, doing some of the driving and Perth - Adelaide driving a car, then Adelaide - Perth via bus. Not much indeed, but the night sky from the Nullarbor without any light pollution is just something to behold. The northern hemisphere night sky is just incredibly boring in comparison.

Standing out on my first night in Cottesloe and looking up at the night sky will forever stick with me. Looking at the Southern Cross and being wowed at just how different the night sky was is something that will always stick with me,

Back in the 70's, The street lights over the whole of Perth would turn off at around 1 AM. It was absolutely fantastic. A no light polution, dark night sky, from within a city. Comet Kohoutek came along and I well remember getting up at 4am and going out into the street and being able to view it with naked eyes, the brightest and best comet in my lifetime.

Given concern over CO2, why is no one talking of turning street lighting and signage off at 1 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Given concern over CO2, why is no one talking of turning street lighting and signage off at 1 am?

I'm sure safety is a huge amount of the reason, mainly so people can be seen and not hit by cars and the like, but it's also so the ne'er-do-wells don't have an easier time skulking around to rob the dacent folk of Ireland.

Solar-powered lighting or something could save the day with respect to this, though.

For the sake of including a map, here's a curious map of only Kildare and Dublin, from about 1841.

545886.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Very good!

Took me a couple of seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Back in the 70's, The street lights over the whole of Perth would turn off at around 1 AM. It was absolutely fantastic. A no light polution, dark night sky, from within a city. Comet Kohoutek came along and I well remember getting up at 4am and going out into the street and being able to view it with naked eyes, the brightest and best comet in my lifetime.

Sense of safety I imagine, street lights are a public good, I imagine there would be sigificant opposition to turning them off overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Broke them in half, too. Either he liked to share or he was playing it safe.

I'm sure safety is a huge amount of the reason,...
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Sense of safety I imagine, street lights are a public good, I imagine there would be sigificant opposition to turning them off overnight.
    Turning off street lights does not cause increase in traffic accidents or crime, says study
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/turning-street-lights-does-not-cause-increase-traffic-accidents-or-crime-says-study-10421845.html

https://www.darksky.org/light-pollution/lighting-crime-and-safety/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭yagan

Yangon in Myanmar turned off the city lights around midnight, but that was in tandem with a full time curfew from midnight-5am and rolling power cuts. The streets would be totally emptied.

I used to take a beer to the rooftop terrace to look at the stars but out from the city centre you could occasionally see flashes which were followed by the echo of gunfire. My one experience of dark urbanity was unsettling, but then this was Myanmar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thats fair, which is why I said a "sense of safety".

I personally feel safer walking around Dublin at night time in well lit areas for example, but accept that it possibly would not make a difference to the crime rates.

Advertisement