Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

New Home wrote: »
    A rather grim one: all the blue areas add up to the same number of annual murders as Brazil (in red).

5f86be2bc04a6_1g9k4fph8uk31__700.jpg
    The graph is wrong, it shouldn't include china. Since we don't know how many of thousands of people that disappear every year are murdered or what the murder rate is in the concentration camps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That can be said of pretty much any country in the world, including Brazil itself. I'm sure they meant "going by official figures".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would never have believed that the Powerscourt Estate is the most filmed location in Ireland! Surely there's been more scenes filmed on O'Connell/Grafton st, Cliffs of Moher or somewhere else ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easier to film on the estate than it is to film on grafton street, maybe? near enough to ardmore studios, and you'd only film on grafton street if you specifically wanted to portray grafton street, whereas various sections of powerscourt could fill in for various generic irish countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I assume they're talking actual Movies or TV shows, rather than tourists with selfie sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

easier to film on the estate than it is to film on grafton street, maybe? near enough to ardmore studios, and you'd only film on grafton street if you specifically wanted to portray grafton street, whereas various sections of powerscourt could fill in for various generic irish countryside.

I guess so, maybe its the generic-ness of it where it doesnt stand out in film, whereas any other location would be instantly recognisable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's only 9th on the list according to this article ("The information was compiled by financial services website GoCompare based on IMDb filming locations.")

https://www.thejournal.ie/top-10-filmed-location-ireland-3903045-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭yagan

Powerscourt is the nearest scenic estate to Ardmore studios that could double for stories set in many other countries, I was really impressed by its use in the Count of Monte Cristo (2002).

The only movie that comes immediately to mind for using the Cliffs of Moher is Hear My Song. I'm sure it's used as a cutaway shot often but can't imagine it being of much use beyond cliffhangers!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yagan wrote: »
    The only movie that comes immediately to mind for using the Cliffs of Moher is Hear My Song. I'm sure it's used as a cutaway shot often but can't imagine it being of much use beyond cliffhangers!!!
    The Cliffs of Insanity in The Princess Bride.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Came across this, easier to link the tweet than just the image...

https://twitter.com/IestynapRhobert/status/1370128300715208705

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

408 in Turkey?

Mad!

I love that there's only 11 in Italy. I've read a good few times over the years about how they struggle to get a foothold there. As you would expect, imagine going into a Starbucks in Italy... The thoughts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Came across this, easier to link the tweet than just the image...

So Iceland has no McDonald's and no Starbucks? Nice!!

I'm not surprised by the high number in Turkey, though.

EwOsbSqXAAYet_4?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Click image for higher resolution, gives the dates and paths of all total solar eclipses of the 21st century one visible from west cork in 2090..

23ca3073610884353e11a121d0e3c87d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

image_large

Land usage in Europe. Ireland just farms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

S2GLC_2017_Ireland.jpg

More info and Europe map
    ESA / Applications / Observing the Earth / Copernicus / Sentinel-2
    Thanks to the Copernicus Sentinel-2 mission and new cloud-computing resources, fully automated land-cover maps in 10 m resolution are on the horizon.

Maps of other European countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Don't forget the 'wetlands' in the west like between Bellmullet and Achill, Conamarra, Ox mountains in Sligo etc. Very little agriculture and really beautiful in their own way.

S2GLC_2017_United-Kingdom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

So Iceland has no McDonald's and no Starbucks? Nice!!

I'm not surprised by the high number in Turkey, though.

EwOsbSqXAAYet_4?format=jpg&name=900x900

Per capita, it looks like UK and Ireland are roughly similar (~13 per million), both significantly higher than the rest of Europe. For comparison, Turkey would be roughly 5 per million, and Germany only 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭thomil

Not surprised to be honest. Germany has a relatively well developed café culture, though it is nowhere near as good as the one in Austria. That makes it relatively hard for Starbucks to make inroads outside of the major urban areas. As of the last time I was in Germany, even Hamburg, a city of two million, only has a handful of Starbucks in the city centre, at the airport and one or two large shopping centres.

Contrast that to Ireland, where even places like Cashel or Dungarvan have a Starbucks. No offence to those two places, but they're hardly centres of global commerce.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

thomil wrote: »
    Contrast that to Ireland, where even places like Cashel or Dungarvan have a Starbucks. No offence to those two places, but they're hardly centres of global commerce.

London has 192 Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

hognef wrote: »
    Per capita, it looks like UK and Ireland are roughly similar (~13 per million), both significantly higher than the rest of Europe. For comparison, Turkey would be roughly 5 per million, and Germany only 2.

This made me look us the stats for here in Australia, which is well know for a high quality cup. 39 stores. Roughly 1.5 per million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Click image for higher resolution, gives the dates and paths of all total solar eclipses of the 21st century one visible from west cork in 2090..

next partial solar eclipse 10 Jun 2021, 11:07. About 25% of the sun covered (from Longford)
    That's the Greenland one on quantum map. Just so you can figure out which ones you might be able to see
    546852.jpg
    Edit: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/longford

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I am suprised that there are 11 of then in Italy. And that's a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

thomil wrote: »

True, but Ireland has zero cafe culture until maybe 10/15 years ago. Costa/ Starbucks are probably leading it.

Das Reich wrote: »
    I am suprised that there are 11 of then in Italy. And that's a lot.
    It's one per 9 million tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

It's one per 9 million tourists.

I didn't thought about it lol. One time in Naples an english speaking couple (I presume they were American althought I could not identify the accent at that time) asked me if I knew some mcdonalds, in NAPLES. Almost sent they to hell.

The only thing anyone should be looking for in Naples is the quickest way out of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My parents were trapped in Naples for over a week during the Eyjafjallajökull ash cloud. Kip of a place to be for any length of time apparently.
    Anyhow, map of flight impacts from it...

nytimes1.png

Advertisement