Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A rather grim one: all the blue areas add up to the same number of annual murders as Brazil (in red).

5f86be2bc04a6_1g9k4fph8uk31__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

New Home wrote: »
    A rather grim one: all the blue areas add up to the same number of annual murders as Brazil (in red).

Wow, that's quite something. No wonder so many Brazilians are desperate to get out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know I'm exaggerating, but by the looks of it they seem to be as frequent as parking violations elsewhere....

5f86c16bd3aaf_w16qd7ez61t41-png__700.jpg

5f86be4699266_a0a6th1efzv31__700.jpg

• Advertisement

5f86bf4fa4ca2_s1s43rwsr7z21__700.jpg

Map of all the countries with their respective camouflage patterns.

5f86c43e45469_oehykn1qm0d31__700.jpg

Of so it says on the caption, 'cause I can't see anything.

5f86c1a612fd3_polo-nord-magnetico-nyt__700.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Map of all the countries with their respective camouflage patterns.

https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/5f86c43e45469_oehykn1qm0d31__700.jpg

Of so it says on the caption, 'cause I can't see anything.
    We didn't used to have a camo pattern because our green was fairly uniform.

We didn't used to have a camo pattern because our green was fairly uniform.

That would explain the leprechauns, and also why nobody can see them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A core reason why Bolsonaro got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The Phantom island of Hy-Brasil 546005.jpg
    546003.jpg
    546004.jpgON the ocean that hollows the rocks where ye dwell
    A shadowy land has appeared, as they tell;
    Men thought it a region of sunshine and rest,
    And they called it Hy-Brasail, the isle of the blest;
    From year unto year, on the ocean’s blue rim,
    The beautiful spectre showed lovely and dim;
    The golden clouds curtained the deep where it lay,
    And it looked like an Eden, away, far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

An actual screenshot I took many years ago

546018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

5f86be4699266_a0a6th1efzv31__700.jpg

They ended up in Mar-a-Lago? :pac:

I remember Samwise's quote: Frodo, if I take one more step I won't be in Kansas any more. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

An actual screenshot I took many years ago

546018.jpg

I read that as a riot breaking out at a presidential primary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I remember Samwise's quote: Frodo, if I take one more step I won't be in Kansas any more. :pac:

If Super Mario World was set in Britain And Ireland.

8zut32d6pma51.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Gaelic speaking ability
    jGGVEsV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Gaelic speaking ability
    jGGVEsV.jpg

2011 census of those who speak Irish daily
    1280px-Percentage_stating_they_speak_Irish_daily_outside_the_education_system_in_the_2011_census.png

And those who can speak Irish
    1280px-Irish_speakers_in_2011.png

Irish speakers over 60 in 1911
    Irish+19C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just shows how many people lie on the census, or perhaps its worded in such a way as to get an answer sought.

• Advertisement

I'm lost - why does it say pre-famine, based on 1911 population?

On a side note, while it's great that more people can speak Irish now, I think it's a shame that the old Irish dialects have been lost.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just shows how many people lie on the census, or perhaps its worded in such a way as to get an answer sought.

Maybe it's down to the Gaelscoils? (I can't speak it, BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭yagan

On a side note, while it's great that more people can speak Irish now, I think it's a shame that the old Irish dialects have been lost.
    Wasn't there a civil war in the dept of ed in the 1930/40s over which version of Irish was to be applied.

Personally I find some accents on Raidio na Gaeltachta impossible to follow, whereas I find Raidio na Life much easier.

The whest coasters make no allowance for listeners like mise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'm lost - why does it say pre-famine, based on 1911 population? .
    Over 60 year old in 1911.To give a better idea of Irish speakers before the famine is what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Look at all those faint green bits outside the gaeltachts. I have never heard people speaking Irish outside one, not once. I have heard people in gaeltachts speak it when they thought an outsider was listening but I'm pretty sure most speak english at home.

My children are out the other end of the education system and they can't speak it either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don’t live in a Gaeltacht, but my kids are in a Gaelscoil, so we make an effort to speak it a bit at home. We certainly don’t speak Irish 100% of the time (I would have the ability anyway), but a lot of the small stuff to the kids world be said though Irish, both in the house and out and about. I know a lot of the other parents in our school would do the same.

My mother-in-law would happily speak Irish exclusively if anyone could understand her. Actually, sometimes that doesn’t even stop her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

cnocbui wrote: »
    Look at all those faint green bits outside the gaeltachts. I have never heard people speaking Irish outside one, not once. I have heard people in gaeltachts speak it when they thought an outsider was listening but I'm pretty sure most speak english at home.

My children are out the other end of the education system and they can't speak it either.

I’ve never heard anyone speak Irish in my life. I went to western Donegal to see if I could hear it and nothing there either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

What dialects? The dialects people speak now are influenced by past dialects.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What dialects? The dialects people speak now are influenced by past dialects.

There were a number of Leinster dialects that are all extinct now. Even within Munster, Connaught and Ulster, there were dialects that haven't survived. President Douglas Hyde spoke a Roscommon dialect that is no longer spoken.

Advertisement