Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Russia is largely flat also, especially the Western part in Europe, but I presume the very high mountain ranges such as the Caucasus and other ranges such as the Urals and those in Siberia skew the average elevation upwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It could be flat but on a plateau.

Russia seems too big for a mountain range to significantly affect its average elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    It could be flat but on a plateau.

Russia seems too big for a mountain range to significantly affect its average elevation.

If they only counted as far as the Urals, that'd probably exaggerate it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The great plains are towards the west, so it mightn't. Look at the average elevation of Ukraine, Hungary, etc. But there's two huge plateaux in the east - the Great Siberian and the Lena. 1.5 million square miles at around 2300ft average elevation.

Also, wiki has a list of countries by average elevation where Russia is noted as 600m, so I'd say that's the basis for the map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the most accurate flat map of earth ever!

12097B63-0332-4323-8EB1F0559B963132_source.jpg?w=590&h=800&6C80C530-2144-4E45-80BA4322C93C4A53

larger graphic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

^^^^^^^^^^^

Once more, New Zealand feels left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Victor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Once more, New Zealand feels left out.

It's there.

s4WQ0T8.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pirateattack.jpg

Maritime piracy, 2005-2014.Piracy incidents from the consolidated ASAM-GISIS database, overlaid with a 1° × 1° gridded-cell layer. A: 2005-2009. B: 2010-2014. Credit: Desai et al, PLOS ONE 2021 (CC-BY 4.0, creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-pirate-frequent-destructive-fishing.html
    Between 2005 and 2014, piracy spiked the most in seas where fishing catch from high-bycatch, destructive, and illegal practices were common. This suggests that piracy seems to be, in part, a response by small-scale fishermen to perceived threats to their livelihoods from industrial fishing fleets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maritime piracy, 2005-2014.Piracy incidents from the consolidated ASAM-GISIS database, overlaid with a 1° × 1° gridded-cell layer. A: 2005-2009. B: 2010-2014. Credit: Desai et al, PLOS ONE 2021 (CC-BY 4.0, creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-pirate-frequent-destructive-fishing.html
    This suggests that piracy seems to be, in part, a response by small-scale fishermen to perceived threats to their livelihoods from industrial fishing fleets.

So one of the outcomes of Brexit is may be the adoption of piracy by former UK fishermen. Lovely, 2021 keeps getting better and better.

Farage will be delighted, Britain once again sailing fourth to rule the waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

2fb2d2231703b6a82a0304ae04d83df2.md.jpg

UK War Office map of Dublin and the surrounding area, from 1940. Shows air fields, crossroads, rail lines, and more. Click on the map for a giant version (couldn't post it directly as it's 10138x8593 pixels, 35MB :D ). Also I had to scan it in about 20 different sections so there are a couple of areas that don't line up perfectly.

• Advertisement

Conchir wrote: »
    UK War Office map of Dublin and the surrounding area, from 1940. Shows air fields, crossroads, rail lines, and more. Click on the map for a giant version (couldn't post it directly as it's 10138x8593 pixels, 35MB :D ). Also I had to scan it in about 20 different sections so there are a couple of areas that don't line up perfectly.
    You broke the internet. "You either don't have permission to access this page or the link has expired."

Correct link appears to be [noparse]https://photoland.io/i/epson-mfp-image.Fu1z[/noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Victor wrote: »
    You broke the internet. "You either don't have permission to access this page or the link has expired."

Correct link appears to be [noparse]https://photoland.io/i/epson-mfp-image.Fu1z[/noparse]

Thank you, should be fixed! Also curious to see if this direct link works: https://img.photoland.io/2fb2d2231703b6a82a0304ae04d83df2.jpg

Conchir wrote: »
    Thank you, should be fixed! Also curious to see if this direct link works: https://img.photoland.io/2fb2d2231703b6a82a0304ae04d83df2.jpg

Yes it does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

This map shows the bombings in Europe carried out by the RAF and US, during the 2nd world war.

The total number of civilians killed in France by the Allies was 68,778 men, women and children.

screen-shot-2017-01-18-at-12-16-45-pm.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_France_during_World_War_II

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Very unsettling. Makes me glad my father didn't fly bombers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I thought Dresden would be worse hit, but it was an intense few days rather than prolonged sporadic attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I thought Dresden would be worse hit, but it was an intense few days rather than prolonged sporadic attacks

Cologne was hit with over 34,000 tons of bombs over 262 air raids from 1940 to 1945, almost exclusively by the RAF. 20,000 people killed.

The only building to survive was the Cathedral, even though it was hit a few times. Here's a link to a high res image of the devastation (too big to embed).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Koeln_1945.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be interested to see a separation between RAF and USAF raids, because IIRC the RAF favoured nighttime raids and the USAF favoured riskier but more accurate daytime raids.

i was at a wedding in somerset a few years ago, the woman sitting beside me was the granddaughter of bomber harris's driver (a woman) - they used to slag her grandmother that her bit for the war effort was for the germans, she reversed his car into the spinning blades of a lancaster bomber once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The price of booze and paracetamol aside, which have **** all to do with interesting maps really.....

A map of land borders of the world

jy9tfqywrle61.png

https://i.redd.it/jy9tfqywrle61.png

Useless fact:

There are only two pairs of countries whose only land border is with the other country.

1. Ireland and the UK

2. Haiti and the Dominican Republic

There you go now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Cologne was hit with over 34,000 tons of bombs over 262 air raids from 1940 to 1945, almost exclusively by the RAF. 20,000 people killed.

The only building to survive was the Cathedral, even though it was hit a few times. Here's a link to a high res image of the devastation (too big to embed).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Koeln_1945.jpg

I visited Cologne a few times in the past as we had friends living there. The underground terminates right next to it so you emerge from below ground looking up at it which makes it seem even bigger than it is. As far as I remember, the allies deliberately didn’t bomb it as it served as a landmark for the bombing raids. I stand open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As far as I remember, the allies deliberately didn’t bomb it as it served as a landmark for the bombing raids. I stand open to correction.

WW2 high level bombing raids were notoriously inaccurate so it is more likely it survived because of luck or because it was built like a brick outhouse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yurt! wrote: »
    There you go now...
    i was going to come charging in with 'papua new guinea!' as an example, but then realised its neighbour boasts more than one land border, because it's part of an archipelago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I was thinking the same thing till i looked it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

i was going to come charging in with 'papua new guinea!' as an example, but then realised its neighbour boasts more than one land border, because it's part of an archipelago...

Snap! I had the post all written and took another look and spotted Malaysia spoiling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

prinzeugen wrote: »
    WW2 high level bombing raids were notoriously inaccurate so it is more likely it survived because of luck or because it was built like a brick outhouse.

a lot of luck. It was hit many times by bombs and badly damaged.

bruce_cathedral.jpg

prinzeugen wrote: »
    malcolm gladwell on the norden bombsight; one detail included was with a target of over 750 acres, of the 85,000 bombs dropped on it, only 10% actually landed on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiZTvlWx2g

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I visited Cologne a few times in the past as we had friends living there. The underground terminates right next to it so you emerge from below ground looking up at it which makes it seem even bigger than it is. As far as I remember, the allies deliberately didn’t bomb it as it served as a landmark for the bombing raids. I stand open to correction.

The germans too a similar approach with St.Pauls, it was their main navigational aid for London

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

a lot of luck. It was hit many times by bombs and badly damaged.

bruce_cathedral.jpg

The large windows probably helped by allowing the force of the bomb blasts to pass through the walls with less structural damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The germans too a similar approach with St.Pauls, it was their main navigational aid for London

Not 100% true. All efforts went into saving St Paul's while the area around it burned.
    Again the German aiming was poor as was the choice of bomb load.
    The Germans dropped tons of incendiary bombs that could be dealt with.
    The RAF learned from their mistakes and knew that incendiary bombs worked best after a conventional raid.
    The first raid with bombs blew roofs off, second raid dropped incendiary, third more bombs to get the fire storms going.

Advertisement