Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I’ve never heard anyone speak Irish in my life. I went to western Donegal to see if I could hear it and nothing there either.

I've heard locals speaking Irish "in the wild" in Donegal, the Aran Islands and Kerry. I've also passed people speaking it in Dublin, Galway and a few places in Clare.

A group of us went skiing in the Cairngorms in Scotland a number of years ago. We were in a pub in Aviemore, and spotted two auld fellas sitting in a corner speaking Scottish Gaelic to each other. One of the girls with us was a fluent Irish speaker, so she went over to see if she could join in. She ended up spending the whole night talking to them as Gaeilge and them sa Ghàidhlig. She said it took a bit of effort on both their parts to be mutually ineligible, but it worked for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I’ve never heard anyone speak Irish in my life. I went to western Donegal to see if I could hear it and nothing there either.

Im from west donegal, used to be fluent but not as much anymore. Always hear plenty and speak a bit when back to family and out in the pub. Apart feom older ones, Theres still plenty of areas that are exclusively Irish first, English second, and a fair amount of young ones thay speak it regularly.
    Dont have much use for it in Dublin other than to speak in private to a few people!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

china_metro_lines_subway_system_evolution_1.gif

Growth of metro lines in Chinese cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

retalivity wrote: »
    Im from west donegal, used to be fluent but not as much anymore. Always hear plenty and speak a bit when back to family and out in the pub. Apart feom older ones, Theres still plenty of areas that are exclusively Irish first, English second, and a fair amount of young ones thay speak it regularly.
    Dont have much use for it in Dublin other than to speak in private to a few people!

Well I don’t know. I’ve yet to hear it look

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

MY BAD wrote: »
    Over 60 year old in 1911.To give a better idea of Irish speakers before the famine is what I think.

See, this is what puzzled me - surely lots of the native speakers would have either died in the famine or have emigrated.
    What dialects? The dialects people speak now are influenced by past dialects.

This bit:
    yagan wrote: »
    Wasn't there a civil war in the dept of ed in the 1930/40s over which version of Irish was to be applied.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Caighde%C3%A1n_Oifigi%C3%BAil

They standardised it, they changed the lettering and the punctuation, too, e.g. they turned the dots on top of some of the letters into 'H's. It used to be very beautiful.

ba0bacbff51f9ff7c851a88d5f31535e--gaelic-irish-irish-celtic.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ba/0b/ac/ba0bacbff51f9ff7c851a88d5f31535e--gaelic-irish-irish-celtic.jpg

or

571914469479c6fa35dbb9cd51e879b0--scottish-gaelic-scottish-heritage.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/57/19/14/571914469479c6fa35dbb9cd51e879b0--scottish-gaelic-scottish-heritage.jpg

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just shows how many people lie on the census, or perhaps its worded in such a way as to get an answer sought.

Or you not understand the difference between speaking a language daily and being able to speak it. I can speak French, used to live there, so if asked can I speak French I would answer yes. I don’t normally speak French.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Upgrades to New York Subway since WWII.

A better description might be line extensions to the New York Subway since WWII. Several long sections have been undergrounded and there have probably been sections that have been 4-tracked, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Or you not understand the difference between speaking a language daily and being able to speak it. I can speak French, used to live there, so if asked can I speak French I would answer yes. I don’t normally speak French.

The lack of understanding seems to be yours. The map I originally referenced is of those claiming to use gaelic daily: "2011 census of those who speak Irish daily".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Autocomplete.jpg

^^^

Noticed (as usual) there was no data for Western Sahara, so decided try it for myself. An appropriate result

546403.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Don't know if this was posted before but this is a geological map of Mars. Yellow segments are meteor impacts and there are loads of them, the majority all to be found in the southern hemisphere.

YsUvGQZYDg6UpWoAg_4dR5s-B_8Y_JtPQfylTOG6p10.jpg

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just shows how many people lie on the census, or perhaps its worded in such a way as to get an answer sought.

This is the question as it appears on the census form:
    question12.GIF

I'd be inclined to tick 'Yes', as I can say a few words and can recognise words if reading Irish text. And there's the fact that I had it drilled into me for 13 years, so I'm inclined to tick 'Yes' out of some form of reisilience. But can I really speak it? Definitely not.

It is badly worded, there should be more options on the first part of that question. I think it's deliberate, it's the same as the religion question, there's no way to write 'lapsed Catholic who still believes in God but wants to have nothing to do with the Catholic Church' on it.

The question should refer to: 'Can you hold an ordinary conversation in _____ language'.

I did Irish for 13 years in school, did well in my Inter Cert (old Junior) and had a poor teacher for Leaving Cert. Best Irish I ever spoke was in London, we spoke it so others couldn't understand us.

The overwhelming majority of Irish people are incapable of holding a basic 5 minute conversation in Irish. They wouldn't be able to have a discussion on the weather, or tell you what they did over a weekend, or recount how a football match went in Irish.

I have fluent German, can talk about anything, even highly complex subjects and I've no issues with comprehension or reading it.

I can hold a conversation in French, providing they don't speak too fast or use too much complex language, or revert to strong dialect. I can explain my opinion on anything using my vocabulary, which is not extensive. My grammar would be average-not too good. It's far from fluent. My French is better than 85-90% of Irish people's Irish.

Ask me what languages can I speak and I'll say; English, German and I get by in French. I would be slow to say that I can speak it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

KevRossi wrote: »
    This is the question as it appears on the census form:
    question12.GIF

I'd be inclined to tick 'Yes', as I can say a few words and can recognise words if reading Irish text. And there's the fact that I had it drilled into me for 13 years, so I'm inclined to tick 'Yes' out of some form of reisilience. But can I really speak it? Definitely not.

It is badly worded, there should be more options on the first part of that question. I think it's deliberate, it's the same as the religion question, there's no way to write 'lapsed Catholic who still believes in God but wants to have nothing to do with the Catholic Church' on it.

The question should refer to: 'Can you hold an ordinary conversation in _____ language'.

I did Irish for 13 years in school, did well in my Inter Cert (old Junior) and had a poor teacher for Leaving Cert. Best Irish I ever spoke was in London, we spoke it so others couldn't understand us.

The overwhelming majority of Irish people are incapable of holding a basic 5 minute conversation in Irish. They wouldn't be able to have a discussion on the weather, or tell you what they did over a weekend, or recount how a football match went in Irish.

I have fluent German, can talk about anything, even highly complex subjects and I've no issues with comprehension or reading it.

I can hold a conversation in French, providing they don't speak too fast or use too much complex language, or revert to strong dialect. I can explain my opinion on anything using my vocabulary, which is not extensive. My grammar would be average-not too good. It's far from fluent. My French is better than 85-90% of Irish people's Irish.

Ask me what languages can I speak and I'll say; English, German and I get by in French. I would be slow to say that I can speak it well.

Thats honesty. The fact is there's only about 4 % of the population who should tick yes on that top box. It's put there to inflate the numbers. That Conradh na Gaeilge got it put in.. that organisation is a disaster by the way.. theyve appointed a load of Sinn Feiners to its board so its basically another republican vehicle now.. turns me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Thats honesty. The fact is there's only about 4 % of the population who should tick yes on that top box. It's put there to inflate the numbers. That Conradh na Gaeilge got it put in.. that organisation is a disaster by the way.. theyve appointed a load of Sinn Feiners to its board so its basically another republican vehicle now.. turns me right off.

Well that was am impressive shoehorning of SF into that conversation. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭yagan

Well that was am impressive shoehorning of SF into that conversation. Well done.
    Even more ironic considering Comann Na nGaedheal joined the National Centre Party (rent seekers) and the Army Comrade Association (Blueshirts) to form Fine Gael.

Even more ironic considering Comann Na nGaedheal joined the National Centre Party (rent seekers) and the Army Comrade Association (Blueshirts) to form Fine Gael.

You're confusing Conradh na Gaeilge, an organisation that promotes the Irish language (mentioned by the poster above) with Cumann na nGaedheal, the former political party that went into Fine Gael.

You're confusing Conradh na Gaeilge, an organisation that promotes the Irish language (mentioned by the poster above) with Cumann na nGaedheal, the former political party that went into Fine Gael.
    Mea cupla. Thank you for the correction.

An interesting factoid though I only learned during the 1916 commemorations was that the anthem was originally sung in the GPO in English. THe Irish version didn't arrive for some years after.

Next time anyone gives me shíte for not knowing it in Irish I'll say I prefer it be sung in its original form as it was in the GPO.

You've another option too. "Let Erin Remember" was the de facto Irish national anthem (in the absence of an official one) at the 1924 Olympics (and at other international events for the next two years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Erin_Remember

And just to get back to maps:

National-Anthem-Map.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mea cupla. Thank you for the correction.

An interesting factoid though I only learned during the 1916 commemorations was that the anthem was originally sung in the GPO in English. THe Irish version didn't arrive for some years after.

Next time anyone gives me shíte for not knowing it in Irish I'll say I prefer it be sung in its original form as it was in the GPO.

You could also not be pig-headed about it. Why you find the need to get "one up" on someone about not knowing the words to "Amhrán na bhFiann" is beyond me.

It's not the hardest thing in the world to learn anyway.

This atitude to the Irish language that some people have is so weird and more at home with belligerent loyalists to my mind.

Anyway, back to maps...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out of curiosity; 'About battle (real or imagined)' - i assume they mean lyrics about battle which don't refer to a specific battle?
    just that the idea of an anthem about an imaginary battle is kinda funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't know; have you read 1984? Imaginary battles sound very ruling-party and very suitable for a national anthem :)

But I'd be curious to know who (if any) of the red countries were singing about imaginary battles alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You could also not be pig-headed about it. Why you find the need to get "one up" on someone about not knowing the words to "Amhrán na bhFiann" is beyond me.

This atitude to the Irish language that some people have is so weird and more at home with belligerent loyalists to my mind.

Anyway, back to maps...

Yes, my favourite line from Amhrán na bhFiann as Gaeilge is actually the last line: ...pushing Connie around a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The Swiss anthem is about their flag, which is a big plus...

Anyway...

zhstnno939g31.png

Anyway, back to maps...
    I actually enjoyed Irish up until we had this teacher in primary school who told us that anyone who didn't speak Irish wasn't really Irish. Both my parents worked fulltime to raise us and here was this gobdah telling me that my Irish parents weren't Irish because they couldn't speak Irish.

After a year of his incessant politicising I lost all affection for the language.

I reconstructed a personal interest in it after school, especially for understanding the etymology of place names. It was actually seeing Brian Friel's Translations that brought me back to it, I could see that that Irish teacher was pigheaded as the British who discarded the original meaning in anglocising Irish placenames.

Are those who stood in the GPO less Irish for singing the soldiers in its original English?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of the direction and distance the recently landed NASA Mars Perseverance to rover has driven between Sol 13 and Sol 18 at Jezero Crater on Mars.

It is now beginning its trek towards the ancient river delta to explore its geology with a suite of highly sophisticated instruments.

11417_x1y89p8tjarta4b9.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

National-Anthem-Map.png

I heard of the Spanish Anthem having no lyrics but not Antarctica's. You learn something every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Look at all those faint green bits outside the gaeltachts. I have never heard people speaking Irish outside one, not once. I have heard people in gaeltachts speak it when they thought an outsider was listening but I'm pretty sure most speak english at home.

I always laugh at this kind of reasoning. I have heard Irish spoken throughout this country and even one day in my dentist's in the heart of Dublin. A family chatting away as Gaeilge. Yet, I rarely if ever hear Polish spoken even though it's oft states as a heavily used language here. Even in work, where a few of the lads are from Poland speak to each other in English.

So, because I never hear it, does that mean no one here speaks Polish? No, no more than you not hearing Irish is proof that no one speaks Irish. I have spoke more Irish at home this morning that English, but that said, I was doing it in cause a tourist might be looking...
    My children are out the other end of the education system and they can't speak it either.

Unless they are in a Gaelscoil, I'm not sure the relevance of this point. I couldn't speak French after leaving school even though I did well in higher level LC. Proves you can't learn to speak any language by doing an hour or 2 a week for the school term with no outside immersion. I can't remember the majority of other subjects either beyond the basics.

I heard of the Spanish Anthem having no lyrics but not Antarctica's. You learn something every day.

Antarctica's national anthem is 4'33" by John Cage. (Not) played by a penguin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 AIRMiNet

rxs7uqatf1k61.png

Advertisement