Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The subvention spent over the last 50 years on NI

Germany and Britain were booming less than a decade after being flattened in WWII. The north is one of the most deprived places in Western Europe because of its arrangements not least of all being partitioned and being governed by factionalism.

Unionists got a war dividend from the Troubles, billions of GBP ended up in Unionist pockets from HM's Treasury so spare me the perpetual moaning about the Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Rob...they shafted NI Unionists...stating that the UK is built on it, makes the shafting all the more profound, it doesn't diminish it.

Have to say, you flew past the comment about what regions in the UK will now be missing out on with all the aplomb of the Red Arrows there. Beautifully done!

How exactly were no unionists shafted. I am very grateful for the support of the wealthier parts of the mainland. There was a time long ago when we provided lots of support to those areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

downcow wrote: »
    How exactly were no unionists shafted. I am very grateful for the support of the wealthier parts of the mainland. There was a time long ago when we provided lots of support to those areas

Mainland Britain appreciated NI standing firm and the sacrifices made in dark times which republicans seem unable to grasp.

"Belfast Blitz - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_Blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Mainland Britain appreciated NI standing firm and the sacrifices made in dark times which republicans seem unable to grasp.

"Belfast Blitz - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_Blitz

So why have successive British governments made a habit of absolutely screwing them every time they give them a modicum of trust?

'No prime minister could countenance a border in the Irish Sea' comes to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Because the conservatives wanted a full Brexit and divergence from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Because the conservatives wanted a full Brexit and divergence from the EU.

At least you aren't denying the shafting, like some.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'll try again since you keep refusing to address it. Was the, 'potential gamechanger' (to use your own terminology) you previously referenced the legal challenge discussed on thread, and was the, 'cross party support' in Britain you referenced essentially just Kate Hoey and a bloke from the Brexit Party? I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to clarify this.

I have no problem clarifying it.
    I have no idea whether it will be a game changer or not, but yes, it is a potential gamechanger.

Do you think it is only Kate hoey and Ben habib that are party to the legal action or are you just being disingenuous

In case you don’t know. Among others, the legal action has been signed by
    The leaders of all unionist parties in Northern Ireland
    The leader of the unionist group on HOC
    The First Minster of Northern Ireland
    The only living key architect of the Belfast Agreement, Lord Trimble
    Members of both Tory and Labour parties

Pretty comprehensive

So why have successive British governments made a habit of absolutely screwing them every time they give them a modicum of trust?

'No prime minister could countenance a border in the Irish Sea' comes to mind.

We are still in the UK despite republicans. So you could hardly say we’ve been shafted

I have no problem clarifying it.
    I have no idea whether it will be a game changer or not, but yes, it is a potential gamechanger.

Do you think it is only Kate hoey and Ben habib that are party to the legal action or are you just being disingenuous

In case you don’t know. Among others, the legal action has been signed by
    The leaders of all unionist parties in Northern Ireland
    The leader of the unionist group on HOC
    The First Minster of Northern Ireland
    The only living key architect of the Belfast Agreement, Lord Trimble
    Members of both Tory and Labour parties

Pretty comprehensive

It is a potential gamechanger in the sense that me doing the euro millions is a potential gamechanger....technically possible....but I'm not holding my breath for it or planning around it.

You stated cross party support in Britain, so not including the NI parties.

So can you tell me apart from Kate Hoey and some Brexit Party nutter, who the cross party support in Britain is? Kate Hoey is no longer part of the Labour Party and the Brexit Party are not the Tory Party, so I'd love to hear the titans of politics from both of those parties who are involved in it?
    We are still in the UK despite republicans. So you could hardly say we’ve been shafted

Stockholm syndrome is a terrible thing alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Republicans are to blame for the British government screwing you over?

• Advertisement

I know you all love polls. I have a wee poll I want you to participate in- but not just yet lol. I’ll post it tomorrow if you remind me hehe

Republicans are to blame for the British government screwing you over?

Tell me how we’ve been screwed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Why are the unionists so angry about the new arrangements? It seems very disproportionate, maybe some of the unionists will explain.

From Carson in 1921:

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power."

A hundred years later, with the Tory government saying no Prime Minister or government could countenance an Irish Sea Border (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the exact quote on this one), followed almost immediately by the Tory government agreeing to an Irish Sea border... the real question is when have NI Unionists NOT been screwed over (particularly by the Tories), and at what point will they stop bending over for it?

Why are the unionists so angry about the new arrangements? It seems very disproportionate, maybe some of the unionists will explain.

Well. I think most unionists recognise the advantageous position ni has been put in and that’s great. But the problem is the arrogance of Roi and Eu. They used the threat of violence to try and undermine our place in the union. They have manipulated things to place a border within the UK.
    How would someone in cork feel if the UK said they wanted a border between cork and the rest of Roi, and to do otherwise would mean british far right organisations would go to war.

Ironically the arrangement pushes any chance of a UI into the distance. But unionists have every right to challenge the Irish Sea issues and to demand the Act of Unionists is not ignored

From Carson in 1921:

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power."

A hundred years later, with the Tory government saying no Prime Minister or government could countenance an Irish Sea Border (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the exact quote on this one), followed almost immediately by the Tory government agreeing to an Irish Sea border... the real question is when have NI Unionists NOT been screwed over (particularly by the Tories), and at what point will they stop bending over for it?

Ironic that a republican talks about ‘people bending over for it’
    Anyhow. I am a ni unionist and I certainly appreciate the UK and feel nothing but thankful that I can be a member.
    Now I see you have moved the goal posts and are talking about being screwed over by the tories now and not the UK.
    ....it’s politics. We are big boys and will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Well. I think most unionists recognise the advantageous position ni has been put in and that’s great. But the problem is the arrogance of Roi and Eu. They used the threat of violence to try and undermine our place in the union. They have manipulated things to place a border within the UK.
    How would someone in cork feel if the UK said they wanted a border between cork and the rest of Roi, and to do otherwise would mean british far right organisations would go to war.

Ironically the arrangement pushes any chance of a UI into the distance. But unionists have every right to challenge the Irish Sea issues and to demand the Act of Unionists is not ignored

Agree 100%.Something else which i find very irritating is the holier than thou preaching by many republican posters especially about how cavalier the UK has been regarding the GFA and then when von der leyen has a hissy fit and has to be talked down from triggering article 16 its`no big deal`! yeah right!:pac::pac:

Good article by a journalist from NI

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n05/susan-mckay/diary

Anyhow. I am a ni unionist and I certainly appreciate the UK and feel nothing but thankful that I can be a member.
    Now I see you have moved the goal posts and are talking about being screwed over by the tories now and not the UK.

Like I said, Stockholm Syndrome. When they screw you it's just politics and you feel THANKFUL for it? Christ almighty.

For the record, any references I make were about the British government, not the British people. I have no issue whatsoever with your average British person. I stated PARTICULARLY the Tories, not exclusively, as you can easily read.

Of course you have Rob weighing in about how grateful he is for how you thank his government when you bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

I would be similar. Am an Irish republican and also an NI unionist, and we are probably the largest grouping on the island. From the Irish Irish side, I dont think enough credit is given to the advantages of having a land link to the UK. It being border control free makes it doubly good, and is a huge benefit to Irish business. Losing this close tie would be quite a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Here you go...

https://youtu.be/SuZgXCfnsgI

Aren't you aggrieved about the sea border?

ulster wrote: »

Yeah a very funny piece

Aren't you aggrieved about the sea border?

I am frustrated that the Roi outmanoeuvred boris etc, and frustrated that they bastardised the Belfast Agreement in the process.

The Irish Sea border will be sorted. We have learnt from the shinners and will jump up and down until it is.

I am not having sleepless nights if that is your concern

We have boris making boobs. You have mary Robinson

I am frustrated that the Roi outmanoeuvred boris etc, and frustrated that they bastardised the Belfast Agreement in the process.

The Irish Sea border will be sorted. We have learnt from the shinners and will jump up and down until it is.

The key difference being Mary Robinson held a primarily ceremonial position here over 20 years ago.....Boris is the most powerful person in your country and is driving actual policy!

It is possible that you'll, 'jump up and down' until it is sorted.....I'd imagine it is more likely that it'll be another, 'NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.....okay' event.

So it's all the ROI's fault, you're not prepared to take Boris to task at all? He's just 'making boobs'?

Shinners, always circle back to the shinners no matter what's being discussed. Always learning from the shinners. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, shouldn't you be looking for better role models?

I live in Antrim so no Mary Robinson (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I would be similar. Am an Irish republican and also an NI unionist, and we are probably the largest grouping on the island. From the Irish Irish side, I dont think enough credit is given to the advantages of having a land link to the UK. It being border control free makes it doubly good, and is a huge benefit to Irish business. Losing this close tie would be quite a loss.

Oxymoron much?

So it's all the ROI's fault, you're not prepared to take Boris to task at all? He's just 'making boobs'?

Shinners, always circle back to the shinners no matter what's being discussed. Always learning from the shinners. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, shouldn't you be looking for better role models?

I live in Antrim so no Mary Robinson (yet).

I think the purpose of 'Mary Robinson' was so that some of us posters would correct him and tell him the current President's name, then he could show off his indifference to 'de south'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Man, I really urge you to watch the BBC's recent Spotlight program about the NI Protocol. You can probably get it on the iPlayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Unionism got what unionism voted for. to be ****ed over by the british government - you know, the government you are all loyal to. time to wake up and smell the coffee - they dont want you.

Everyone else wants you to join a UI but for some reason you prefer the one who has ****ed you over. Pity unionism cant get over its hatred

Advertisement