Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s a good price for a branded charger.
    Although the 7kw is max that home owners can get, I don’t think there’s any downside to having the 3phase version.

My old bmw wallbox was 3 phase / 22kw capable but I only had it connected through single phase. I think the Tesla chargers are the same set up.

This plus a decent sparks that’s not robbing you should mean it won’t be terribly more than the grant amount. Depending on cable run and meter location of course.

Just a note on the 3 phase model of these. If connected to single phase it will only charge at 3.6kw. Its configured for a mak of 16 amps a phase.

Different from the Wallbox.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with robbing you. You clearly have no concept of the costs associated with being a Registered Electrical Contractor. We don't come cheap. I never negotiate on price.

He's probably not far off on price though right?

You'll make a few quid at €250 - €300 for a big standard install

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Felexicon wrote: »

A standard install is €450 +VAT for most domestic EVSE installations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just a note on the 3 phase model of these. If connected to single phase it will only charge at 3.6kw. Its configured for a mak of 16 amps a phase.

Different from the Wallbox.

That’s good info for anyone looking, the bmw wallbox and the Tesla charger will both charge at 7kw (32a) on single phase even though they are 3 phase capable.

Nothing to do with robbing you. You clearly have no concept of the costs associated with being a Registered Electrical Contractor. We don't come cheap. I never negotiate on price.

Ohh, I have a concept alright. A clear concept of an honest days pay for an honest days work. Fair prices means more work as word travels quick. I’ve used the one guy for many jobs now as I know he doesn’t get into me and chargers a fair price for work done. He’s a professional at the end of the day, he’s qualified to do it. The same way I’d charge him if he ever needed my services.

+1
    2 hours work in my most recent case. Including testing. I was charged €600 for the installation of a charge point and an external socket including all certificates for grant. I have no problem with that, I found him fair and decent to deal with.

I had bought the charge point for €231 so a total outlay of 231 after the grant which is not a lot more than the grant, and exactly what I posted in my posts.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Ohh, I have a concept alright. A clear concept of an honest days pay for an honest days work. Fair prices means more work as word travels quick. I’ve used the one guy for many jobs now as I know he doesn’t get into me and chargers a fair price for work done. He’s a professional at the end of the day, he’s qualified to do it. The same way I’d charge him if he ever needed my services.

+1
    2 hours work in my most recent case. Including testing. I was charged €600 for the installation of a charge point and an external socket including all certificates for grant. I have no problem with that, I found him fair and decent to deal with.

I had bought the charge point for €231 so a total outlay of 231 after the grant which is not a lot more than the grant, and exactly what I posted in my posts.
    EVSE installations are never a 2 hour job. A competent installation will very often be a full day's work (or more, if trenching etc. is involved).

EVSE installations are never a 2 hour job. A competent installation will very often be a full day's work (or more, if trenching etc. is involved).

Straight forward install.
    Consumer unit on opposite side of the wall from where the chargepoint is location.

Started at 9 and was gone by 1120 including a cup of tea. To me it didn’t matter if it took 4 hours or 1. I was paying for the qualified professional and the certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You clearly have no concept of the costs associated with being a Registered Electrical Contractor. We don't come cheap. I never negotiate on price.
    EVSE installations are never a 2 hour job. A competent installation will very often be a full day's work

Personally, I'd consider that €500 you charge for what could be just 2 hours labour, a little on the expensive side. I've also seen a competent REC install & test a chargepoint, in little over an hour, taking another 30 minutes to complete the paperwork, tidy up etc. Standard install, one through wall hole, 4m of cable run. No isolator. 6 or 8 connections, a few cable clips, 3 screws to hold the charge point to the wall.

He didn't charge €500, although he was wearing a mask :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Personally, I'd consider that €500 you charge for what could be just 2 hours labour, a little on the expensive side. I've also seen a competent REC install & test a chargepoint, in little over an hour, taking another 30 minutes to complete the paperwork, tidy up etc. Standard install, one through wall hole, 4m of cable run. No isolator. 6 or 8 connections, a few cable clips, 3 screws to hold the charge point to the wall.

He didn't charge €500, although he was wearing a mask :D.
    It's not all labour. The standard installation charge is for all aspects apart from the chargepoint (or load management device where required). So there are substantial materials costs involved. And as I pointed out, it's never 2 hours labour.

Commercial installations are often around a grand installation costs.

The new 5th Edition Wiring Rules also substantially increase the cable costs (along with the current high prices for copper).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spotted this photo by Damien Eagers which won 1st prize in the Nature & Environment section at the PPAI awards (Press Photographers).
    Looks like someone is missing a charge cable :):)

Charger-Cable.jpg

• Advertisement

It's not all labour. The standard installation charge is for all aspects apart from the chargepoint (or load management device where required). So there are substantial materials costs involved. And as I pointed out, it's never 2 hours labour.

Commercial installations are often around a grand installation costs.

The new 5th Edition Wiring Rules also substantially increase the cable costs (along with the current high prices for copper).

So the €500 includes a priority switch?
    There usually a couple hundred on their own i would have thought?

if no switch required install is cheaper?

And there are many installs that take 2 hours or less. I personally seen 2 been done and other posters have also confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The standard install of an EVSE in my house by the biggest installer in the country took about 1.5 hours

Materials at trade prices roughly €15 for cabling, €25 for an RCBO and €10 for ducting, all + VAT

So a call out from an electrician for a 1.5 hour job should cost €400 + VAT in labour?

Rip off Ireland at its finest. I hope I will never have to call the likes of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats simply not true.

Every job is different and maybe you tend to get the complicated ones and maybe you do more commercial installs but plenty of the domestic installs are <2hrs without compromising on quality.

If trenching is required then of course thats potentially a days work and alot more expense but most domestic installs are just hanging off an external wall.

You have a habit of making the whole thing out to be more complicated than it actually is and its not like the folks on this forum dont have first hand experience!

unkel wrote: »
    The standard install of an EVSE in my house by the biggest installer in the country took about 1.5 hours

Materials at trade prices roughly €15 for cabling, €25 for an RCBO and €10 for ducting, all + VAT

So a call out from an electrician for a 1.5 hour job should cost €400 + VAT in labour?

Rip off Ireland at its finest. I hope I will never have to call the likes of you.

A Type B RCD required for many units is many multiples of 25 Euro. And these are the industry standard standard install rates. I never mentioned what I charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All this talk about RCBO, excuse my ignorance but as a Zappi2 includes RCD onboard is there still a need to install a RCBO on the "main board" given an isolater switch is installed right next to the Zappi2?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A Type B RCD required for many units is many multiples of 25 Euro. And these are the industry standard standard install rates. I never mentioned what I charge.

So a RECI run cartel, why am i not surprised.

Met a sparks at the glass recycling yesterday whom I know in nenagh: 1,000 plus vat minimum, with me providing the kit

wonder what these lads and lassies would make of it
    https://www.ccpc.ie

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

unkel wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Some awful carry on with electricians at the moment with the prices they're charging for EVSE installs. They're making EV drivers who don't know any better think its a massively complicated job. The 600 euro grant probably drives this on a bit too, plenty of scope to pad out the install quotes knowing the owner will be claiming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Orebro wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Some awful carry on with electricians at the moment with the prices they're charging for EVSE installs. They're making EV drivers who don't know any better think its a massively complicated job. The 600 euro grant probably drives this on a bit too, plenty of scope to pad out the install quotes knowing the owner will be claiming it.

Big plus 1. I can’t get a reasonable quote so far and have given up and am using public chargers as it makes no financial sense to pay 1400+ euro to somebody.

I think some government regulation around the max price would be welcome for EV charger installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Chumpski wrote: »
    Big plus 1. I can’t get a reasonable quote so far and have given up and am using public chargers as it makes no financial sense to pay 1400+ euro to somebody.

I think some government regulation around the max price would be welcome for EV charger installs.

Just get ei to do it for 899 , cost you 300 net.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Cyrus wrote: »

Yeah they are the cheapest I could fine but I had 2 different guys out from them and they both found excuses not to do it for me as it’s a non trivial install involving trunking and going through a few rooms as fuse board at the back of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Would be interesting for people to post the model of the ones we have installed and see how much they cost. What Type B RCD do you normally install, maybe we can find a cheaper source for you and you can pass that on to your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

When I got my charger installed back in 2018 it cost around 700 or 800 not including the charger itself. Took around 6 hours

Wasn't a simple job, consumer unit was about 15 meters away from the charger, cable had to be brought through an air duct and through steel conduit outside. A sub board was needed and they also installed a cable to outdoors to bring power to the shed

I'd say I got good value for the work involved

I agree the prices are all over the place, no "standard" prices at all. One guy tried to charge 1200 to take a wire out of the meter cabinet. Another was charging around 900 to take the cable via trunking inside the house

Seems like when a sparks doesn't want the job they'll just try to price themselves out of it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Chumpski wrote: »
    Yeah they are the cheapest I could fine but I had 2 different guys out from them and they both found excuses not to do it for me as it’s a non trivial install involving trunking and going through a few rooms as fuse board at the back of the house.

So I assume the quotes for €1400+ include a charger being provided?

If its through a few rooms and lots of trunking is needed that's what you will pay. It will be a time consuming job.

Who have you got quotes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Did anyone get the ei one done. Were you happy with the equipment and the job in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm paying 1399 for Zappi V2 charger + install. It's pricey enough and I probably could have got it cheaper if I looked around but my house is a new build and I'm happy enough to go with the same crowd that installed my heatpump. Fuse box is in the middle of the house too so they will have to go through a few walls to get to it.

declan123 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the ei one done. Were you happy with the equipment and the job in general?

Yes and yes !

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm paying 1399 for Zappi V2 charger + install. It's pricey enough and I probably could have got it cheaper if I looked around but my house is a new build and I'm happy enough to go with the same crowd that installed my heatpump. Fuse box is in the middle of the house too so they will have to go through a few walls to get to it.

If it’s a new build double check there isn’t any trunking to a point outside there could well be for internet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If it’s a new build double check there isn’t any trunking to a point outside there could well be for internet etc

+1 to this, I was being told I'd need trunking until I spoke to the guys who wired the house and they suggested using a nearby air duct to bring the cable outside

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

LV and ELV cables can't share a duct.

• Advertisement

+1 to this, I was being told I'd need trunking until I spoke to the guys who wired the house and they suggested using a nearby air duct to bring the cable outside

They were wrong. Electrical services need to be segregated from non-electrical services.

Advertisement