Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Risteard81 wrote: »
    They were wrong. Electrical services need to be segregated from non-electrical services.

They didn't bring the cable through the duct, they took it via the false ceiling which conceals it. Sparks signed off on it, provided signed test cert, so either they're lying and shouldn't have been certified in the first place, or they're incompetent and shouldn't have been certified in the first place

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm paying 1399 for Zappi V2 charger + install. It's pricey enough and I probably could have got it cheaper if I looked around but my house is a new build and I'm happy enough to go with the same crowd that installed my heatpump. Fuse box is in the middle of the house too so they will have to go through a few walls to get to it.

Make sure you run at least two Ethernet cables from consumer unit to Zappi2

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

So many professionals on here talking about prices, I am sure all of your homes are up to code requiring no other work, like everything there are cowboys out there or tradesmen cutting corners i meet them daily, yes installs completed quickly but they have not met the standards required.
    Installs including chargers normally start at around 1000euro depending on the charger required including priority unit.
    Anyone charging less than the prices that risteard81 mentioned I would be raising questions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tweek84 wrote: »
    So many professionals on here talking about prices, I am sure all of your homes are up to code requiring no other work, like everything there are cowboys out there or tradesmen cutting corners i meet them daily, yes installs completed quickly but they have not met the standards required.
    Installs including chargers normally start at around 1000euro depending on the charger required including priority unit.
    Anyone charging less than the prices that risteard81 mentioned I would be raising questions

And many installs don’t require a priority unit.
    Many installs are straight forward.

Many installers are fully compliant and fitted in full accordance with the regulations but the installers charge a fairer rate.

Price is not the only delta in deciding a cowboy.

Can you give an example of where a quick (2 hour) install does not meet standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

slave1 wrote: »
    Make sure you run at least two Ethernet cables from consumer unit to Zappi2

So get them to run 2 ethernet cables from internal fuse box out to Zappi unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Again the largest companies in the state in electric Ireland and kn are doing it for 899. So you should interrogate them then.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Again the largest companies in the state in electric Ireland and kn are doing it for 899. So you should interrogate them then.

Why would I need to interrogate them? They are entitled to charge what they want, I am nearly sure electric Ireland charge more than 899 tho.

Gumbo wrote: »
    And many installs don’t require a priority unit.
    Many installs are straight forward.

Many installers are fully compliant and fitted in full accordance with the regulations but the installers charge a fairer rate.

Price is not the only delta in deciding a cowboy.

Can you give an example of where a quick (2 hour) install does not meet standards?

I can’t give an example as that issue is currently being investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why would I need to interrogate them? They are entitled to charge what they want, I am nearly sure electric Ireland charge more than 899 tho.

Ya it says starts at €499 after grant or €1,099 before on electric Ireland website.

Well you said anyone doing it for less than 1000 would raise questions?

They do the tethered eo mini for 899 and the untethered pro for 1099.

• Advertisement

Ya it says starts at €499 after grant or €1,099 before on electric Ireland website.

See my post above.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Well you said anyone doing it for less than 1000 would raise questions?

They do the tethered eo mini for 899 and the untethered pro for 1099.

Read my post again.
    I said anyone charging less than what risteard81 mentioned I would be asking questions, he said 450 for install only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

LV and ELV cables can't share a duct.

Can one not run an ethernet cable to a Zappi then, alongside the mains voltage supply cable, if they share a duct?
    If so, how come the new UK EV charge point cable integrates both?
    Would fitting that single cable here, through a duct/conduit, be prohibited?

Read my post again.
    I said anyone charging less than what risteard81 mentioned I would be asking questions, he said 450 for install only.

Why would one need to question the competence of any genuine SAFE Electric registered electrician?
    They're qualified, registered, regulated & their work is frequently audited.

Because they're "too cheap"? :rolleyes:.

Really knocking into protectionism/monopoly/cartel like behaviour here...............

As with everything guys & gals, shop around :). When the electricians blatantly ripping people off get a reputation, they'll lose business & either charge fairly, or go broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Kramer wrote: »
    Can one not run an ethernet cable to a Zappi then, alongside the mains voltage supply cable, if they share a duct?
    If so, how come the new UK EV charge point cable integrates both?
    Would fitting that single cable here, through a duct/conduit, be prohibited?

They're insulated for the highest voltage present and also shielded.

They're insulated for the highest voltage present and also shielded.

What about running a normal CAT5/CAT6 ethernet, cable alongside the supply cable to a Zappi though?
    Kramer wrote: »

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So get them to run 2 ethernet cables from internal fuse box out to Zappi unit?

Yes, this will future proof your setup should you even need PV generation integrated into the Zappi, cost should be immaterial

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Read my post again.

He said €450 plus VAT including a priority device but ignore the posts to clarify this.
    It's not all labour. The standard installation charge is for all aspects apart from the chargepoint (or load management device where required). So there are substantial materials costs involved. And as I pointed out, it's never 2 hours labour.

Commercial installations are often around a grand installation costs.

The new 5th Edition Wiring Rules also substantially increase the cable costs (along with the current high prices for copper).

He said €450 plus VAT including a priority device but ignore the posts to clarify this.

I never suggested that it included a priority unit.

I never suggested that it included a priority unit.

That’s perfect so.
    So this agrees with my pricing of €600 inclusive of vat in one of my examples yet you classed that as cheap and went about never reducing prices etc

For a 2 hour install including an outdoor socket I think this was a fair price.

• Advertisement

That’s perfect so.
    So this agrees with my pricing of €600 inclusive of vat in one of my examples yet you classed that as cheap and went about never reducing prices etc

For a 2 hour install including an outdoor socket I think this was a fair price.

You are clueless about costs associated with electrical installation and therefore should not be commenting on it. Are you a Registered Electrical Contractor? (The correct answer is that no, you are not.)

You are clueless about costs associated with electrical installation and therefore should not be commenting on it. Are you a Registered Electrical Contractor? (The correct answer is that no, you are not.)

:D

Cartel exposed :):)

I’ve have 6 EVSE installations on properties over the last 4 years. They’ve been done by 3 different registered contractors and all Certs issued with grants paid out.

Just because we rumble you about your attitude to pricing doesn’t mean we are wrong.

You continue along your path. That works for you.

But for the rest of us in the real world, I’d rather pay the person that’s fair and those lads have been called back for every other electrical works I’m involved in. Continued business and a good relationship. I don’t question what they charge because they’ve already built up that trust and I don’t question them when they say somethings needs to be upgraded.

So I may be clueless in your eyes about the costs associated in drilling a hole, connecting a RCBO, pushing a cable through and fixing an EVSE to a wall using a template that’s included in the chargers box :) and testing of equipments but you have a cheek to come on here and announce that no domestic install takes 2 hours and is a day long exercise is laughable.

I and many other posters, have had similar experiences.

In fact, one install took an hour as the builder had the cable run already. Mr. Sparky just had to connect to the EVSE, for the RCBO and work on the CU. Following testing all complete and certified. Excellent efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're commenting about the costs of a charger installation without sharing any details behind that. You mentioned €450 as an example installation cost earlier, what's the logic behind that? What parts are installed and how much do they cost? How many hours of labour involved at what rate?

My point is that before assuming anyone offering a cheaper installation isn't doing their job properly, perhaps you should look at your own example and see if you could offer more value to money to the customer

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My point is that before assuming anyone offering a cheaper installation isn't doing their job properly, perhaps you should look at your own example and see if you could offer more value to money to the customer

Thats not going to happen anyway! ;)
    Nothing to do with robbing you. You clearly have no concept of the costs associated with being a Registered Electrical Contractor. We don't come cheap. I never negotiate on price.

Lets call a spade a spade here.... price is down to supply and demand. Electricians are in demand and so they are capitalising on that. Who wouldnt!

If risteard can get €450+Vat for a standard install and he is busy at that rate then fair play to him, its a free world!

But he is just one electrician, as many of us know first hand on this forum it can be done cheaper than that without compromising on quality/regulations. Shop around is the simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Do you have to have an electric car to get a grant for a charger install?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Do you have to have an electric car to get a grant for a charger install?

Yes. An EV has to be registered to the address on the application form.

Now, you could do a temp transfer and apply. Then once done transfer the car back to your address.

Grant will be processed that way ;)

Thanks - I'm hoping to get some renovations done and thought it would be an idea to get one in. I don't see an electric in the short to medium term though. I can always get prep work done I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Getting my chargepoint installed today for €1,600 :) Zappi charger, tethered, awkward install so much like the diagram shared before the pages of hugs it's basically creating another fuse board outside, and stuff.

Thanks - I'm hoping to get some renovations done and thought it would be an idea to get one in. I don't see an electric in the short to medium term though. I can always get prep work done I suppose.

If the doing the renovation now get your electric to put a 40a RCBO (B Type) on the consumer unit and run a 6mm Sq cable from it to where you will eventually place a chargepoint.

You could actually get him to fit a double outdoor socket there now so it’s not a wasted venture but you’d have to remove the socket then in the future if you get a charge point.

You could also run 2 cat5/ cat6 cables too to future proof for a smart connection.

• Advertisement

Great idea - thanks

Advertisement