Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A lot of talk about being in cash now on Twitter from the likes of Duckman and the rest, is a meltdown coming do you think? Im tempted to dump all my crypto for now anyway, mostly ETH.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

I think ABNB is good value at $182. Probably some regulatory headwinds in the short / medium term but I'd be fairly bullish on it long term.

Why is it "good value"? I think fundamentally, (yes I know, fundamentals, haha) its very much overvalued and already has factored in all and any potential good news, also worth remembering its a company that has yet to make a profit, I've no doubt it will but its still 110+ billion after todays pullback.
    For me to enter it would need to drop another 25% (And yes, I know that's not going to happen).

Easy to get frustrated on days like today but you just need to keep some perspective, if you've done your research and have some conviction then its just a buying opportunity.

Amazon is very attractive now imo @$3k (I would buy more but I'm already overweight Amzn)

Amazon Revenue:
    2016 - $136 billion
    2017 - $178 billion -> Revenue up 30%
    2018 - $232 billion -> Revenue up 30%
    2019 - $281 billion -> Revenue up 21%
    2020 - $386 billion -> Revenue up 37%
    2021 - ? (Street Estimate $469 billion)
    2022 - ? (Street Estimate $552 billion)
    2023 - ? (Street Estimate $636 billion)

Nvidia posts good earnings down 8%
    Salesforce posts good earnings down 8%

As per usual, an over reaction to rates rising, just like its an over reaction when they drop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Treppen wrote: »
    JFrog is closing today at a 52 week low after a long slide today though! Still more to fall?

JFrog is on my buying list for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Thargor wrote: »
    A lot of talk about being in cash now on Twitter from the likes of Duckman and the rest, is a meltdown coming do you think? Im tempted to dump all my crypto for now anyway, mostly ETH.

Cash is king.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_is_king

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

pioneerpro wrote: »
    That's an incredibly insightful play and one I wasn't expecting to see here. I actually can't believe the price drop over the last few months - JFrogs Artifactory in particular is one of the core components for enterprise level businesses building out cloud-native microservice stuff (i.e. everyone worth talking about). Anything remotely Kubernetes aligned is going to absolutely moon in the medium term, and it fits neatly into the vertical tiers of both MSFT and AMZN, not to mention a huge amount of Telco and Financial bluechips. Fill your boots at current pricelines for sure!

I'm not even gonna pretend I understand what you're talking about but it sounds impressive

• Advertisement

JFrog is closing today at a 52 week low after a long slide today though! Still more to fall?
    They've only been public about 6 months.

They have a lockup period ending on 24th March, so there'll be a lot more shares available to sell/buy on that date. In theory that means a drop on that date, but depending where it goes in the meantime, we may already be at the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm not even gonna pretend I understand what you're talking about but it sounds impressive

You've probably heard of RedHat in terms of server stuff before? JFrog are like RedHat for cloud stuff.

Kubernetes is software for things called Containers. Containers are super-important for companies porting over to run 'in the cloud' versus running 'on bare metal'. It means structuring the software in terms of 'microservices' - each running in its own little container.

For companies porting over from their legacy technology stack, they want to be able to test and run it locally first to see if their container setup works. And then deploy an exact copy of that working mix of containers out in production as many times as they need on-demand. JFrog Artifactory helps make that miles easier - both testing locally and deploying in production.

Anything that makes it easier to port onto AWS or Azure quicker and safer is going to have money thrown at it. Plenty of boardsies probably use it in work already, I certainly do.

I mentioned Finance? These are the kinda people who already use it in-house

https://jfrog.com/financial-services/

There's been a rotation out of tech into long-tail recovery stuff for the last while. You'll notice all the big cap tech were down since around the start of February in particular. I'd seriously hesitate to make any pricing call on JFrog or anything else till after the weekend; I'm sitting on about 60% cash atm and trying to call the bottom since Monday. With GME lurking in the background like a home invader, I'm honestly not sure that I'll be punting on much till Monday bar my precious NAV SPACs which can't go any lower than 10$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

There's been a rotation out of tech into long-tail recovery stuff for the last while. You'll notice all the big cap tech were down since around the start of February in particular. I'd seriously hesitate to make any pricing call on JFrog or anything else till after the weekend; I'm sitting on about 60% cash atm and trying to call the bottom since Monday. With GME lurking in the background like a home invader, I'm honestly not sure that I'll be punting on much till Monday bar my precious NAV SPACs which can't go any lower than 10$.

Which NAV SPAC's you got? Might be a good time to consider some. Although technically SPAC's can go below 10 dollars, in reality they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

You've probably heard of RedHat in terms of server stuff before? JFrog are like RedHat for cloud stuff.

Kubernetes is software for things called Containers. Containers are super-important for companies porting over to run 'in the cloud' versus running 'on bare metal'. It means structuring the software in terms of 'microservices' - each running in its own little container.

For companies porting over from their legacy technology stack, they want to be able to test and run it locally first to see if their container setup works. And then deploy an exact copy of that working mix of containers out in production as many times as they need on-demand. JFrog Artifactory helps make that miles easier - both testing locally and deploying in production.

Anything that makes it easier to port onto AWS or Azure quicker and safer is going to have money thrown at it. Plenty of boardsies probably use it in work already, I certainly do.

I had 5k in JFrog for about 3 months, for that time it rotated between 60 and 70 very consistently, would have been great for a swing trader. They had good numbers and it still couldn't break 70 so I sold at my break even of 68.

I find it hard to believe they won't see 60 again at some point so I'll be surprised if you don't profit. However I really struggle to see it beating 70 for a long time. But that would be a good profit having bought at 55.

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    Which NAV SPAC's you got? Might be a good time to consider some. Although technically SPAC's can go below 10 dollars, in reality they shouldn't.

SCVX is at 10.70, waiting for 10.50 tomorrow. Announcement fairly imminent
    MAAC is at 10.20, missed a fill at 10.10 but will get it tomorrow. 2nd SPAC already filed.
    BWAC is at 10.30 but ESG as a sector has taken a battering in the press recently so will wait for it to drop a small bit further. Also reasonably sure of a DA soon

If you can get Units i'd go CPUH and SRNG in that order at anything under 10.70.

EDIT: If you're swing trading and HEC dips below like 10.15 again, jump and resell above 10.50. It went to 10.05 today and straight back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Anyone ever look into cielo waste solutions, up 30% today in this sea of red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Thargor wrote: »

I went cash mostly since last week, except for couple reddit stocks. Posted here on Thursday that I shorted BTC and couple stocks.. got laughed at.

I am also not clued in on this topic, but intrigued.
    What about other container solutions like Docker, which is widely used? Does it face adoption challenges in large enterprises?

I admire your posts. You give the right amount of information so that people who are familiar with the topic know exactly what you mean, yet also give enough info to enable those unfamiliar to look it up and figure it out. Cheers!

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Looking forward to Etsy earnings beating expectations and the stock going down further AH!

Quite the opposite.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/m/05a304b6-87ed-3ac7-b5cd-3f247e857fdc/etsy-revenue-more-than.html

Surprised it's not up more in the pre market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

cc87 wrote: »
    Will be listed tomorrow under CBX
    IPO was way over-subscribed and closed early, hoped for £8mil and now have £13mil.

On the plus side they tried to favour retail as much as possible so my meagre offering was accepted.

On the bad side, it has to go to the bank where my ISA is that has £12 a trade fees.

Makes up for a very red week.......currently up 380% on my initial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Throwing some cash into degiro this morning and going to wait and see how the day (and probably next week) goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dragon74

Newbie and lurking here for a while. Really find this thread very helpful so thank you for taking the time to share.

If you had a few quid to spare would you go recovery stocks or keep track of the big players in nasdaq and would you dive in this week or wait?

• Advertisement

SmokyMo wrote: »
    I am also not clued in on this topic, but intrigued.
    What about other container solutions like Docker, which is widely used? Does it face adoption challenges in large enterprises?

Docker is a platform and tool for building and running containers. It's got its own container orchestration but its a bit ****. They're a bit iffy re: business plan and pivoting traditionally.

Kubernetes is a container orchestration (management and configuration) system for multiple containers; usually Docker containers.

JFrog Artifactory is used for Code Collaboration & Version Control of Containers themselves, and the software that resides inside them. If you know what DevOps is, this is the overall 'missing link' solution that provides the pipeline from development to production, and everything in between. It also does a lot more than just Containers - but best to focus on that bit for simplicity.

image.png

Sidenote: if you like Docker there's a gamble on getting in on the ground floor there. Steve Singh is running the ETAC SPAC which is getting closer to its deadline. He's the old Docker CEO, and the guy who sold Concur (the travel expenses yoke that everyone hates) to SAP when he was CEO of Concur. He's currently the managing director at Madrona Venture Group. Lot of speculation about them picking up Docker for cheap; even if they don't they'll probably land on something reasonably interesting. ETAC trading at ~$10.20 this morning.

dragon74 wrote: »
    Newbie and lurking here for a while. Really find this thread very helpful so thank you for taking the time to share.

If you had a few quid to spare would you go recovery stocks or keep track of the big players in nasdaq and would you dive in this week or wait?

So first off, I bought a few things that fell this week (Teledoc, Redfin), but for a new person starting off, I'd thread carefully this week. I have no idea if this is the end of the correction, or if this will develop into a 3/4 week decline. Potentially having your first few weeks red can be demoralising.

By all means buy a few shares this week, but don't go too gung-ho. It's better to be buying when it's already recovered 10% than thinking you're at the bottom and going another 20% down.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I have no idea if this is the end of the correction, or if this will develop into a 3/4 week decline. Potentially having your first few weeks red can be demoralising.

This x1000. For someone with skin already in the game who's been sitting on cash for such a dip, this is the best time to buy stock - when there's blood in the streets. The tricky bit is gauging the bottom, but the name of the game is to basically average down so it's irrelevant for longer-term holdings.

For someone dipping their toe in, you're just as likely to catch falling knife here and see a further significant % dip in your holdings straight after purchase. This can induce a panic reaction and a 'cut your losses' mentality in the short term - i.e buying high and selling low and walking away from investing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

cc87 wrote: »
    Interesting upcoming IPO Cellular Goods.

Synthetic cannabinoid products. Has David Beckham as an early investor as is the guy behind Argo.
    With the current buzz around cannabis products could be interesting. Kanabo, the only other cannabis share on the LSE is up from 15p to 40p since IPO on Tuesday

For those UK based, shares can be purchased now through PrimaryBid. 5p a share, min purchase £100, closes tomorrow though.

There ya go, 28p already !
    Good tip.

Docker is a platform and tool for building and running containers. It's got its own container orchestration but its a bit ****. They're a bit iffy re: business plan and pivoting traditionally.

Kubernetes is a container orchestration (management and configuration) system for multiple containers; usually Docker containers.

JFrog Artifactory is used for Code Collaboration & Version Control of Containers themselves, and the software that resides inside them. If you know what DevOps is, this is the overall 'missing link' solution that provides the pipeline from development to production, and everything in between. It also does a lot more than just Containers - but best to focus on that bit for simplicity.

image.png

Sidenote: if you like Docker there's a gamble on getting in on the ground floor there. Steve Singh is running the ETAC SPAC which is getting closer to its deadline. He's the old Docker CEO, and the guy who sold Concur (the travel expenses yoke that everyone hates) to SAP when he was CEO of Concur. He's currently the managing director at Madrona Venture Group. Lot of speculation about them picking up Docker for cheap; even if they don't they'll probably land on something reasonably interesting. ETAC trading at ~$10.20 this morning.

Haha I like Concur! but that was after we migrated from internal tool which was rubbish. But overall it wasnt worth the price SAP paid for it.
    Cheers for the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

This x1000. For someone with skin already in the game who's been sitting on cash for such a dip, this is the best time to buy stock - when there's blood in the streets. The tricky bit is gauging the bottom, but the name of the game is to basically average down so it's irrelevant for longer-term holdings.

For someone dipping their toe in, you're just as likely to catch falling knife here and see a further significant % dip in your holdings straight after purchase. This can induce a panic reaction and a 'cut your losses' mentality in the short term - i.e buying high and selling low and walking away from investing completely.

Yeah I'm just slowly averaging down a few positions in my.longterm portfolio, the question is deciding which ones to average down on

Good tip.

If you're looking at the cannabis pennies on LON, then Kanabo Group are worth checking out. They're currently dropping mad in the current market after their very successful IPO - but they just had a great bit of news re distribution agreement with Astral Health Limited so its simply bad timing I reckon. If they get their VapePod medicinal cannabis product licensed under Project Twenty21 they'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

looks like another red day looms...last few weeks when I was getting into cash...I said to myself will not spend more than 20% in each red day....but feck it between Tues-Thur spent literally all of it....we easily get caught in the emotion....Fair play to guys who stick to their rules...

@dragon - welcome on board...as others said don't go gung-ho - easy to say for me, when even I couldn't follow :)..... however depending on cash...break into 4 parts (pick two names from each category Big cap, recovery stocks, growth stocks and SPACs)...In this way you'll have a nice mix...but that's just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah i had some cash sitting aside in degiro and blew the load midweek, catching plenty of falling knives.
    Not 'chasing the vig' today, will sit it out until next week unless something happens with something I'm already looking to offload.

Payday monday so will load up again then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Good tip.

They also offered a free product of choice to anyone that bought on PrimaryBid :D

Once they actually have any products that is.

Advertisement