Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Rothmans wrote: »
    This is how I understand it also - i.e. you can't write off the loss against any other share.

It's called Bed and Breakfasting gains and is perfectly okay AFAIK

“Bed and breakfast” transactions

Toward the end of the tax year, you may have a taxable gain but have no loss to offset against the gain. If you have a holding of shares with in-built losses, you may dispose of those shares in order to crystallise the “paper” loss. You may even re-acquire the same shares a few weeks later at a reduced price.

In order to counteract such practices (particularly over a period that spans the last day of the tax year, i.e., 31 December), you may not set against other chargeable gains a loss generated by a disposal and acquisition within the same four-week period. You may set such a loss against the chargeable gain, which eventually arises on the reacquired shares.

This applies a LIFO (Last In First Out) rule to disposals within the four-week period, in contrast to the general FIFO (First In First Out) rule used to identify share disposals with share acquisitions. The end result is that the latest disposal will have a depressed acquisition cost closer to the disposal date, thus reducing or eliminating the paper loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Lotz is gaining attention from WSB by the looks of it.

Supposedly 65% short interest and up around 8/9% post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They said the last time it could have gone over a 1000 if they didn’t stop the sales. Can the do the same again without consequences?

They were trying to pin terrorism on poor old Gill during the hearing. They can and will do whatever dafuq they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

The original reddit guy doubled his position on the dip a few days ago after he testified in congress. What a lad.

I think he bought 50k @40$......so made another nice few quid for himself today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

**** I nearly missed this, I'm back and still strapped in with my 2 whole shares at 82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

pioneerpro wrote: »
    “Bed and breakfast” transactions

Toward the end of the tax year, you may have a taxable gain but have no loss to offset against the gain. If you have a holding of shares with in-built losses, you may dispose of those shares in order to crystallise the “paper” loss. You may even re-acquire the same shares a few weeks later at a reduced price.

In order to counteract such practices (particularly over a period that spans the last day of the tax year, i.e., 31 December), you may not set against other chargeable gains a loss generated by a disposal and acquisition within the same four-week period. You may set such a loss against the chargeable gain, which eventually arises on the reacquired shares.

This applies a LIFO (Last In First Out) rule to disposals within the four-week period, in contrast to the general FIFO (First In First Out) rule used to identify share disposals with share acquisitions. The end result is that the latest disposal will have a depressed acquisition cost closer to the disposal date, thus reducing or eliminating the paper loss.

Absolutely, but there are no negative tax implications in the case of a gain, as in the case of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Does the bed and breakfast rule matter if the disposal is a gain AND you have already exceeded the 1270 credit?

You just then pay CGT on the gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Main holdings
    Cash 15%
    Intel
    Exxon Mobile
    Skyworks Solutions
    UCB sa
    Shanghai Henlius Biotech
    Aryzta
    Volkswagen
    Disney
    Baba
    iShares Core FTSE 100
    Current Speculative holdings (<8%)
    Nano dimensions
    Cocrystal Pharma
    Churchill Capital Corp
    Winston Gold corp
    UPDATE TO POSITIONS
    Main holdings
    Cash 6%
    • Intel
    • Exxon Mobile
    • Skyworks Solutions
    • UCB sa
    • Shanghai Henlius Biotech
    • Aryzta
    • Volkswagen
    • Baba
    Current Speculative holdings (<11%)
    spacs
    • Far Peak Acquisition Corp
    Crsprs
    • Editas Medicine
    • Intellia Therapeutics
    • Applied Genetic Technologies Corp
    • Beam Therapeutics
    • Vascular Biogenics LtdD
    Others
    • Cocrystal Pharma
    • Winston Gold corp
    A few changes over the last months
    I've sold out of Disney, CCIV, iShares Core FTSE 100. Also my cash position has dropped down to 6% since adding more VW and Crspr stocks, so the speculative side has grown. I hope to reduce some of my main stock positions which have grown to keep my exposure to single stock down

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭cal naughton

Merger vote date for 4D announced as the 17th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They better bring NOK with them for the ride this time, im bag holding 200 of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

cc87 wrote: »
    Interesting upcoming IPO Cellular Goods.

Synthetic cannabinoid products. Has David Beckham as an early investor as is the guy behind Argo.
    With the current buzz around cannabis products could be interesting. Kanabo, the only other cannabis share on the LSE is up from 15p to 40p since IPO on Tuesday

For those UK based, shares can be purchased now through PrimaryBid. 5p a share, min purchase £100, closes tomorrow though.

Will be listed tomorrow under CBX
    IPO was way over-subscribed and closed early, hoped for £8mil and now have £13mil.

On the plus side they tried to favour retail as much as possible so my meagre offering was accepted.

On the bad side, it has to go to the bank where my ISA is that has £12 a trade fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Merger vote date for 4D announced as the 17th of March.

I was wondering what caused the bump today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Stupid question, bear with me.

So when load of people decide to pump a stock, let's say send it from 100 to 500 and then everyone sells at the high, where does that money come from to cover that? I know investors pumping it are throwing money in but is there not a gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭littlevillage

UPDATE TO POSITIONS
    Main holdings
    Cash 6%
    • Intel
    • Exxon Mobile
    • Skyworks Solutions
    • UCB sa
    • Shanghai Henlius Biotech
    • Aryzta
    • Volkswagen
    • Baba
    Current Speculative holdings (<11%)
    spacs
    • Far Peak Acquisition Corp
    Crsprs
    • Editas Medicine
    • Intellia Therapeutics
    • Applied Genetic Technologies Corp
    • Beam Therapeutics
    • Vascular Biogenics LtdD
    Others
    • Cocrystal Pharma
    • Winston Gold corp
    A few changes over the last months
    I've sold out of Disney, CCIV, iShares Core FTSE 100. Also my cash position has dropped down to 6% since adding more VW and Crspr stocks, so the speculative side has grown. I hope to reduce some of my main stock positions which have grown to keep my exposure to single stock down

Personally, I would have hung onto Disney & the FTSE 100 ETF.....and dumped Exxon & Aryzta.

Disney is a monster Economy re-opening play.
    FTSE 100 will do very well this year (Leisure, Natural Resources feature very prominently)

Exxon are having problems judging by latest results
    Aryzta is a complete sh**show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Agree on Disney. They've been steadily increasing as we move closer to post-Covid. Are you thinking that's already built in to the price by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭crushproof

CCIV down in pre market. Is this officially a stinker now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

crushproof wrote: »
    CCIV down in pre market. Is this officially a stinker now?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with money in it. I sold everything yesterday when it didn't hold 30.

Don't like where all SPAC's are going right now to be honest. looking to cut ties with them myself if I can try to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

GooglePlus wrote: »

So when load of people decide to pump a stock, let's say send it from 100 to 500 and then everyone sells at the high, where does that money come from to cover that? I know investors pumping it are throwing money in but is there not a gap?

In order to get out (sell) there needs to be buyers. So in your example there needs to be people still prepared to buy at 500 to let the sellers out at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

GooglePlus wrote: »

From the suckers that bought at $500.

If you're invovled in a Pump and Dump, get out when you're happy, don't get greedy. There's nobody that rings a bell to say we're at the top now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cronos wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with money in it. I sold everything yesterday when it didn't hold 30.

Don't like where all SPAC's are going right now to be honest. looking to cut ties with them myself if I can try to break even.

Same, veering away from SPACs at the moment, definitely not holding any through merger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think Fisker EV was tipped here a while ago.

Anyhow true to form like an idiot I got bored and got out but with a little profit.
    They've signed a tentative agreement with foxconn so there might be a bit to go yet if you can get in around the 22 price and hold long enough.

My Geeley tip isn't doing so well though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Same, veering away from SPACs at the moment, definitely not holding any through merger.

So the love for PSTH is gone ?

Ah feic it I'm gonna stay and see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I bought a small holding of CCIV at $29.50 last night. Purely speculative. Hoping that the market has overshot the runway on the sell side. I'll be selling again at anything like $35.

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I bought a small holding of CCIV at $29.50 last night. Purely speculative. Hoping that the market has overshot the runway on the sell side. I'll be selling again at anything like $35.

I sold at 29.5 exactly as it happens.

Hard to know at this point what's going to happen. I'd consider getting back in around the low 20's myself.

The big concerns are valuation and the delay of their main product. I feel like they knew that long ago, just very convenient to immediately announce that after it's run up. Might be a good long term decision but not communicated fairly to investors. Still think the team has the potential to pull it off, just worried that they will be late to the party. But if Apple decide to do a deal with them then sky's the limit. I'd imagine Apple would choose someone with the necessary production capacity to deliver though, which is a while off for Lucid.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with GME today, have to say it has offered fierce entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭crushproof

Cheers Cronos, in the same boat but should have sold out earlier. Blind belief that it would continue to go up. Hopefully it holds some value at opening and I can get out.

Pine Island Acquisition is another one that I really need to get rid of

crushproof wrote: »
    Cheers Cronos, in the same boat but should have sold out earlier. Blind belief that it would continue to go up. Hopefully it holds some value at opening and I can get out.

Pine Island Acquisition is another one that I really need to get rid of

I should have sold earlier also. Lost 30k of profits which is a massive amount to me. But just had to take it as a positive to end up overall. you have to look at it and say if you were offered this from the initial investment would you have been happy with it and I decided yes when it didn't manage to hold 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Originally Posted by littlevillage View Post
    Personally, I would have hung onto Disney & the FTSE 100 ETF.....and dumped Exxon & Aryzta.

Disney is a monster Economy re-opening play.
    FTSE 100 will do very well this year (Leisure, Natural Resources feature very prominently)

Exxon are having problems judging by latest results
    Aryzta is a complete sh**show
    No I disagree, my average on Exxon is $37, price of Oil is going up, it's a solid company with really good reserves in friendly places and pays a decent dividend. I'll sell some ExxonMoblie at $70.
    Aryzta is not everyone's cuppa tea, it has risks with the debt but the fire-sale of assets is over. Canadian bakery giant George Weston Ltd has already upped it's offer for just the US bakery side to 80CHF which is the market cap of thee company now!
    Everyone has something bad to say about Aryzta, maybe they got burnt in the past idk, or just a fad. I'm up 100% since last year, plus I see this as a turn-around, it's happening over the last 2 years, the battle for control is over. It's now been ran by Urs Jordi, this guy is good. The rewards for a turnaround here are significant, I feel this will be north of €4 in the next 5 years.

I was long Disney with over 18 months, to be honest, I just wanted to do a swap for Netflix.
    The FTSE 100 ETF, I was up 35% in 4 months, I felt it was overdone which I was right and it has pulled back since. I may take up the position again if it continues to drop but when I bought in the ftse was at 5650.

Wild money still to be made in SPACs, even in crazy markets. They're effectively my only focus outside of penny stocks in emergent tech/medicine.

I pointed out the sort of performant SPACS yesterday - AONE being one of them. Went up nearly 20% during the day, and then was picked up by the PRNT ETF run by Cathie Woods in ARK and spiked madly in AH trading.

Those who follow what they believe to be *sentiment*, and jump in close to the ATH once the institutional buyers have started borrowing to short, are basically asking for a spanking. Thankfully the information is public - for example, for CCIV you can clearly see:

Short interest + % of float
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/cciv?mod=mw_quote_tab

https://iborrowdesk.com/report/CCIV

They will use high-frequency trading algorithims and short-laddering, selling back and forth to each other as institutions, to drive the price down. This triggers both stop-losses and sentiment runs. At which point they scoop up all the cheap shares.

Of particular importance is keeping an eye on G13 filings for SPACs. These indicate any individual buyer slurping up more than 5% of the Class A Commons in one go:

https://sec.report/CIK/Search/G13

SPACs are absolutely fine - if you understand the limitations of the asset class. Buy near-NAV pre-rumour, get Units and split them if you have access - selling the warrants - to bring your cost basis down below NAV. Anywhere near $10 and you have one of the safest investments possible due to the in-built price floor, and following serial SPAC filings via SEC's EDGAR or watching twitter you can generally jump in on overlooked stuff and get a quick 20-30% gain in a week or two.

Another way of gauging good investments for super-normal profit taking is judging the likelihood of the acquisition by ARK. For example:

image.png

Of course pointing out the *sentiment* of the market, and the changing nature of how SPACs were dealt with was met with derision by some here. So yeah, YMMV. YOLO into the trades and depend on your prophetic sense of timing to denote your entry point and price targets to save you versus high-frequency trading algorithims. Apparently it makes people fortunes. Doesn't work for me unfortunately, and I've never met anyone who explained how to do it ahead of time.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

Buying back in companies you like after the post-merger dip for holding long isn't a bad strategy, as long as it holds. We've moved from pre-merger seling, to post-DA selling, to post-LOI selling to - in some cases - rumour selling in the last 6 weeks. It's a rapidly changing approach as more and more retail investors start digging in and the volume of SPACs explodes (over 600 at last count, with some particularly dodgy prospects in terms of management teams arising; the Colin Kaepernick SPAC anyone :D ). Hedgefunds now trawl /r/SPACs and everywhere else for sentiment (WSB doesn't allow them) and tend to jump in on anything hot to sell covered options and/or short them into the ground.

Advertisement