Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

s1ippy wrote: »

Since the vinyl for this came I've dedicated a portion of each day to lying on the ground listening to it through. It's great for the back.

My favourite recent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Bartees Strange debut came out last week. It's called Live Forever, I have had it on repeat since then. It's an incredible album. I get Bloc Party and Tv on The Radio vibes off it. Excellent record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I got the BC Camplight recomendation from here and Im loving it so far. Kind of like Captain Beefheart but with a prettier sound.

Definatly not for people who just like pop or certain genres and definatly very few parties that would benefit from it playing in the backround but earphones on the bus or for driving around its great if you like that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I got the BC Camplight recomendation from here and Im loving it so far. Kind of like Captain Beefheart but with a prettier sound.

Definatly not for people who just like pop or certain genres and definatly very few parties that would benefit from it playing in the backround but earphones on the bus or for driving around its great if you like that sort of thing.

He's a lovely guy with an interesting story. spoke to him after workmans gig and he signed my record. Id recommend his previous two albums and to try and support him by getting some merch or seeing him live (hopefully) next year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Serpentine Prison seems to have been releasing for ages, but finally out now. Looking forward to spending some time with it over the weekend. Very much enjoyed what I've heard so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Bartees Strange debut came out last week. It's called Live Forever, I have had it on repeat since then. It's an incredible album. I get Bloc Party and Tv on The Radio vibes off it. Excellent record.

Knew I'd seen the name recently...!

Haven't listened to Live Forever yet but I've just stumbled on Say Goodbye To Pretty Boy, a 5-song EP he released earlier this year of The National covers. I'm usually very reticent about covers of songs I already love but this is strangely brilliant. Very different from the originals, it's quite hypnotic. Definitely worth checking out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

s1ippy wrote: »

Since the vinyl for this came I've dedicated a portion of each day to lying on the ground listening to it through. It's great for the back.

I genuinely wish they had a different singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Birneybau wrote: »
    I genuinely wish they had a different singer.

Same here - musically great, vocally obnoxious....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

10, the new album by Tricot (and their second of the year) was released a few days.

Their previous album, 真っ黒, is one of my favourite albums of the year so I was very interested in this. I'm only on my second listen of 10 so I'm not sure if it'll live up to my expectations yet but it's pretty good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Two new albums I'm presently listening to........

Keaton Henson 'Monument'

Big Thief singer, Adrianne Lenker has two new albums, 'Songs' and Instrumentals'. She is a very prolific lady. Two Big Thief albums last year.

• Advertisement

New album from Oneohtrix Point Never. Last one was much hyped but didn't live up to any of it for me. Hoping for better things this time around - sounds like the kind of artist who when he gets it right will make something wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Seamus Fogarty’s new album is getting good reviews. Heard a great tune from it on Cillian Murphy’s radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Seamus Fogarty’s new album is getting good reviews. Heard a great tune from it on Cillian Murphy’s radio show.

Had it on in the background when I read this! Great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Gave it a listen thanks to this thread, worth a listen. The song nuns brightened up my day. Ill give it another listen later.

New live release form the criminally underrated Bob Moses.

Bob Moses filmed an hour-long concert film from an abandoned radio tower in Topanga, California. Starting atop the structure as night took over, Bob Moses slowly worked their way down the tower performing multiple sets in a variety of configurations, both as a band and in their original two-piece setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

https://fuzzclub.bandcamp.com/album/flying-moon-in-space

Flying Moon In Space self titled debut album out today on Fuzzclub.

Krautrock/Experimental, dance, indie .....Very good

The Smashing Pumpkins new record CYR is actually pretty decent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mountain Goats live album on band camp. Version of heel turn 2 is amazing

New Avalanches album out now. Their debut was one of my favourite debuts and what I've heard this new one sounds pretty decent.

mosstin wrote: »
    New Avalanches album out now. Their debut was one of my favourite debuts and what I've heard this new one sounds pretty decent.

Cracker of an album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Christmas from Mark Lanegan

Cracker of an album

It really is beautiful. My favourite track at the moment......

I've now upgraded this to my favourite album of 2020. It's glorious - there isn't a weak track on it. It's right up there with the debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

My first discovery of 2021 is Music For Winter, Vol 1 by Another Sky

It's downbeat but soars at times. The singer's got a really interesting voice, lots of variety.

To try to give a flavour, it reminds me a little of Daughter, perhaps a little rougher round the edges.

Just a 6 track EP, well worth a listen

New album by The Antlers incoming. This is really lovely even if the video is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

New album by The Antlers incoming. This is really lovely even if the video is ****e.

Excellent. Seems like a lifetime since Familiars.
    Could listen the song Palace over and over again for years.

Shame have a new record out today - Drunk Tank Pink. Only had a couple of listens but I think it's just as good if not better than their first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Shame have a new record out today - Drunk Tank Pink. Only had a couple of listens but I think it's just as good if not better than their first.

I think it's better for sure. Their debut was pretty good, but a bit derivative.

Highlight for me is probably this one:

New Bicep album out today. Loved the self titled release in 2017 so looking forward to listening to this throughout the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Weezer album is brilliant. Not something I thought I'd say again

TV Priest have released there debut Uppers, if you're a fan of Idles you'll probably like this. It's an excellent record.

I'd never heard of The Weather Station before earlier today, but they've an album out entitled Ignorance and some of it is really, really good.

I can already tell this is going to be up there with the best of the year in 11 months time.

This song is bloody great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Black Country, New Road finally released their debut on Friday. Sunglasses was my song of 2019 and they were the last band I got to see live pre-covid. Interesting listening to an album thinking "don't f*ck up the album version, don't f*ck up the album version" throughout.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd never heard of The Weather Station before earlier today, but they've an album out entitled Ignorance and some of it is really, really good.

I can already tell this is going to be up there with the best of the year in 11 months time.

Been listening to this quite a bit this weekend and, though there's some decent songs on there, it seems a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Black Country, New Road finally released their debut on Friday. Sunglasses was my song of 2019 and they were the last band I got to see live pre-covid. Interesting listening to an album thinking "don't f*ck up the album version, don't f*ck up the album version" throughout.

Pretty good on first listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Arghus wrote: »

Been going through a massive rut the last few months musically. The lack of live music is really taking its toll I have to say. :(

Just stuck them on. Started with "Parking Lot". Caught the mood anyway... Let's see where the rest of that album goes.

New Tindersticks' album - Distractions. Quiet, introspective but some beautiful songs on it.

New Mogwai album out today. Love Mogwai.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

S.M.B. wrote: »

Looking forward to the gig later this, been pushed out to December now from memory. Great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

New Tindersticks' album - Distractions. Quiet, introspective but some beautiful songs on it.

New Mogwai album out today. Love Mogwai.

mogwai is tomorrow

good review here
    https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3396297/album-review-mogwai-as-the-love-continues

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Oh you can get it today. 😉

Really enjoying Mogwai, Richie Sacramento is a quality track.

Was tempted to watch the live performance, £15 was a bit steep though.....

Really enjoying Mogwai, Richie Sacramento is a quality track.

Was tempted to watch the live performance, £15 was a bit steep though.....

Ridiculous. I understand that bands are at a loss of income from live shows but many of their punters are similarly affected. Really surprised at the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VM Varga

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis have released a new album!

Lots of good music knocking around......

Mouse on Mars 'AAI'
    Blanck Mass 'In Furneaux'
    The Besnard Lakes 'Are the Last of the Great Thunderstorm Warnings' (really like this one)

As mentioned above, new Nick Cave and Warren Ellis album sounds good also.

Lots of good music knocking around......

Mouse on Mars 'AAI'
    Blanck Mass 'In Furneaux'
    The Besnard Lakes 'Are the Last of the Great Thunderstorm Warnings' (really like this one)

As mentioned above, new Nick Cave and Warren Ellis album sounds good also.

Great!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Julien Baker (member of boygenius and excellent solo artist) is getting some great reviews, will be listening later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I just came in here to mention the new Julien Baker album. Big fan of Turn Out the Lights and boygenius so hope this lives up to expectation. The songs I've heard so far seem like a bit of departure from her previous sound. Curious to hear how it works as part of a complete album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Mogwai album is #1 in the UK, great stuff altogether

Mogwai album is #1 in the UK, great stuff altogether

It is excellent. Great for them to get the #1 too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement