Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think Seventeen is a cracking song and I'm no big Springsteen fan. Album is very good on first listen. Strong enough to probably cement Van Etten as my favourite act/artist of the 2010's which is a bold claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think Seventeen is a cracking song and I'm no big Springsteen fan. Album is very good on first listen. Strong enough to probably cement Van Etten as my favourite act/artist of the 2010's which is a bold claim.

So like best artist of the past 9 years or pre 2010 or 2010 when exactly? This mor stuff

Yeah, I'd say she'll be my most listened to artist and act I've seen live the most over the ten years from 2010 - 2019. Now that I'm saying that aloud I'll have to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've given the Deerhunter album a few listens. I'll always have time for them because of Halcyon Digest - what a great album that was - but everything since has, for me, been differing levels of disappointing. Sadly, I'd have to say this new album is no different. Some of the songs are alright, maybe even kind of good - but the whole thing feels very under cooked and underwhelming. I'll give it a few more spins but I'll be deeply surprised if it grabs me in a major way.

On the other hand I'm very much enjoying the new Sharon Van Etten record. This song in particular knocked me out when I heard it first. This youtube video probably doesn't do it justice, because it sounds great; all layered synths and a doomy ominous feel - seek out a better quality audio if you can.

Christ, when the bass comes in at about 2:10 and she's singing "echoing...echoing...echoing....." I feel like banging on my neighbour's door and demanding that they listen to it. And they don't even know me. And it's 1 in the morning.

Arghus wrote: »
    I've given the Deerhunter album a few listens. I'll always have time for them because of Halcyon Digest - what a great album that was - but everything since has, for me, been differing levels of disappointing. Sadly, I'd have to say this new album is no different. Some of the songs are alright, maybe even kind of good - but the whole thing feels very under cooked and underwhelming. I'll give it a few more spins but I'll be deeply surprised if it grabs me in a major way.

On the other hand I'm very much enjoying the new Sharon Van Etten record. This song in particular knocked me out when I heard it first. This youtube video probably doesn't do it justice, because it sounds great; all layered synths and a doomy ominous feel - seek out a better quality audio if you can.

Christ, when the bass comes in at about 2:10 and she's singing "echoing...echoing...echoing....." I feel like banging on my neighbour's door and demanding that they listen to it. And they don't even know me. And it's 1 in the morning.

Fair play for saying it but that deerhunter album would be a waste of time

• Advertisement

Fair play for saying it but that deerhunter album would be a waste of time

Not quite following you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Deerhunter album is growing on me, but nothing they've done in recent years gets anywhere near Microcastle and Cryptograms. However all their albums have some quality to them and are worth checking out

Twilight sad,SVE and Deerhunter all three get 84 on Metacritic.Of the three twilight sad might get a listen. James Blake crashes in with 90:eek:

Dont know anything by James Blake I just assume he is something along the lines of James Blunt.

SVE has 86 on Metacritic at the moment, same score as her previous album.

Haven't listened to much James Blake recently but will give his new one a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Twilight sad,SVE and Deerhunter all three get 84 on Metacritic.Of the three twilight sad might get a listen. James Blake crashes in with 90:eek:

Dont know anything by James Blake I just assume he is something along the lines of James Blunt.

Because the name? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mgkelly

Christ on a bicycle, they are very different beasts! Quite like Blake. Name is 'wrong' for what he does, however, and leads to such confusion!
    ;)

Birneybau wrote: »
    Because the name? :confused:

I Just lump all those male singer songwriters into a box called crap .Hozier and Ed Sheeran being VIP members.:)
    I had a quick listen to Blakes colab with Andre 3000 and its not something I would subject my brain to willingly.

SVE has 86 on Metacritic at the moment, same score as her previous album.

Haven't listened to much James Blake recently but will give his new one a listen.

And up to 87 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah, I'd say she'll be my most listened to artist and act I've seen live the most over the ten years from 2010 - 2019. Now that I'm saying that aloud I'll have to double check.

That night in Whelan's was a special special night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I Just lump all those male singer songwriters into a box called crap .Hozier and Ed Sheeran being VIP members.:)
    I had a quick listen to Blakes colab with Andre 3000 and its not something I would subject my brain to willingly.

heard another on the radio this morning squaking about a 'cigarette break', Gavin James, seriously who listens to this ****.

33minutes of fuzztastic tunes ..Mike Krols album Power Chords released today.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Blood Red Shoes - Get Tragic out today well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Not overly impressed with the new Sharon Van Etten album. It has it's good moments, (I Told You Everything, Seventeen), but the rest seems average and forgettable. A bit of a step down from her previous material.

Anyone listen to either of the two unannounced albums released during the week?

Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers' Better Oblivion Community Center

Weezers' Teal Album

The latter is more like a karaoke album than a covers album.

New Toy album

Excellent as usual.

https://thebandtoy.bandcamp.com

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to either of the two unannounced albums released during the week?

Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers' Better Oblivion Community Center

Weezers' Teal Album

The latter is more like a karaoke album than a covers album.

The latter is utter sh1te listened to a few of the covers,they dont change the orignals enough to make them interesting.

Weezer make me sad these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

The latter is utter sh1te listened to a few of the covers,they dont change the orignals enough to make them interesting.

Agreed. They don’t bring anything new to those songs.
    I was a big fan back in the day, but they’ve had a descent as sharp as the Simpsons.

Weezer make me sad these days.

Say it aint so :)
    The blue album remains one of my fav albums of the 90's,some real bangers on that album but yeah its being a downward spiral of late wonder if they can possibly buck the trend with the black album(March 1st release).

Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo first hinted at the album in April 2016, shortly after the band released their tenth album Weezer (The White Album). "What could stand out more against 'White' than 'Black'? I think it's going to maybe be like Beach Boys gone bad. I'm thinking of swearing, which is something I've never done in songs."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm really liking the Bridgers/Oberst album. Their voices complement each other so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I love Phoebe Bridgers but I can't stand Conor Oberst. Should I give this album a shot? I feel conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Acosta wrote: »
    New Toy album

Excellent as usual.

https://thebandtoy.bandcamp.com

Deadly. Playing the Workman's Club in Dublin on Valentine's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The new Deerhunter is starting to grow on a me a bit. Nocturne standing out the most so far. I think it's an improvement on Fading Frontier anyway.

Rothko wrote: »
    The new Deerhunter is starting to grow on a me a bit. Nocturne standing out the most so far. I think it's an improvement on Fading Frontier anyway.

Having more or less given up on it a couple of days ago, I gave it a few more listens after staying away from it for a little while; sometimes that can help. It's not a bad album really, maybe it's better than what I felt at first. I still think they're a band whose best days are past though.

• Advertisement

Having more or less given up on it a couple of days ago, I gave it a few more listens after staying away from it for a little while; sometimes that can help. It's not a bad album really, maybe it's better than what I felt at first. I still think they're a band whose best days are past though.

Listening to Weird Era a lot the last few days has been a reminder of how much better they used to be. Haven't listened to it in a while, almost forgot how good it is. Can't think of a better ''bonus'' album.

Advertisement