Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

S.M.B. wrote:
    I'm only listening to this album for the first time now and I am really impressed. Any idea what they are like live? Tempted to check them out in September.

Saw them at primavera, they were pretty good without being great, I'm sure nerves and inexperience played a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm only listening to this album for the first time now and I am really impressed. Any idea what they are like live? Tempted to check them out in September.

Hardly in Ireland in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Apologies, they are playing London in September.

Album to follow soon enough hopefully, but my longtime obsession, The Twilight Sad, released a new single yesterday, I/m Not Here [Missing Face], and announced a new tour.

Their gig in Whelan's in May 2015 is still up there with my all time favourite gigs. And I finally got to see them again last Saturday in Hyde Park as part of The Cure's 40th anniversary and unsurprisingly (for me anyway) they were the highlights of the day.

Anyway I digress...

Wrap yer ear holes around this...

https://open.spotify.com/track/7mG94usJNYGQLQdfOLmFeE?si=2QrCxn6FS46qTl4fTJ4bmw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

fyp good track! No Irish date on the tour:(
    Album to follow soon enough hopefully, but my longtime obsession, The Twilight Sad, released a new single yesterday, I/m Not Here [Missing Face], and announced a new tour.
    Their gig in Whelan's in May 2015 is still up there with my all time favourite gigs. And I finally got to see them again last Saturday in Hyde Park as part of The Cure's 40th anniversary and unsurprisingly (for me anyway) they were the highlights of the day.

Anyway I digress...

Wrap yer ear holes around this...

https://open.spotify.com/track/7mG94usJNYGQLQdfOLmFeE?si=2QrCxn6FS46qTl4fTJ4bmw

• Advertisement

There's a huge gap after Brussels. I reckon we'll slot in after that and before London. Last time they were here they did Dublin then Belfast then London and Glasgow as a final gig on tour. Then spent the rest of that year and 2016 touring with the Cure.

AS I say, if you have an opportunity get to see them live, do. They are immense.

Looking like I'll get to see them in Paris with the Missus and then take them in in Hamburg with the lads before getting the train up to Aarhus to watch Denmark v Ireland a few days later. Hup!

There's a huge gap after Brussels. I reckon we'll slot in after that and before London. Last time they were here they did Dublin then Belfast then London and Glasgow as a final gig on tour. Then spent the rest of that year and 2016 touring with the Cure.

AS I say, if you have an opportunity get to see them live, do. They are immense.

Looking like I'll get to see them in Paris with the Missus and then take them in in Hamburg with the lads before getting the train up to Aarhus to watch Denmark v Ireland a few days later. Hup!

I'd have to listen them a bit more but I liked that tune.

No more tour dates being added as per twitter. Dang.
    I'd have to listen them a bit more but I liked that tune.

Last 2 albums are gems. Just go to Spotify and press play on There's a Girl in The Corner and just let it run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Adding this here as it doesn't fit into any tidy little genre box, and some people may not have heard of them

Sunbather (2013) was one of my favorite albums of the year, shoe gaze layered with black metal vocals.

I found the last release New Bermuda, pretty good, but not to the same level.

However Ordinary Corrupt Human Love, will certainly be up there for me at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Adding this here as it doesn't fit into any tidy little genre box, and some people may not have heard of them

Sunbather (2013) was one of my favorite albums of the year, shoe gaze layered with black metal vocals.

However Ordinary Corrupt Human Love, will certainly be up there for me at the end of the year.

This is one of the best new albums I have heard this year. I still listen to Sunbather on a regular basis. Great band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was literally going to post about this album, but you beat me to it. Liking it so far, bit of a shake up for their sound.

I will definitely give this a listen. What struck me most on initial listens is how much he sounds like dani from Cradle of Filth,who are a stated influence of this band..Much like then a copy of the lyrics will be a vital accompaniment to understanding this album.

Been listening to this album a lot today it's Death Lust by Chastity kind of reminds me in places of Quicksand/Rival Schools. Definitely worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpF-XDXRwDw

Orchards released Losers/Lovers, a delightful 8-track of pleasant pop music sung by an excellent female vocalist accompanied by almost math-pop riffs.

sounding a bit win butler but a fine tune album Let's Be Wilderness

New Ovlov album TRU out today. Been waiting a while for this, their debut was brillaint, loved it and loving the new one just as much.

Arghus wrote: »
    The new album by Let's Eat Grandma, I'm All Ears, is out. I've only listened to it so far in fits and starts, but so far my early impressions would be extremely positive. There are some amazing songs on the record.

Their debut was a minor classic and a lot of what made it so good was the atmosphere: the songs sounded spooky, but yet playful and there was a feeling running through that album of wild creativity. I was a bit worried that a bit extra outside help and attention on the second record would result in a case of sacrificing the uniqueness of their sound for a bit more tightness in songwriting, but it seems like the right balance has been struck.

FINALLY got around to listening to this yesterday and it's been on a loop since with the first album. It's fantastic.

Falling Into Me is the stand out for me at the moment. It's Not Just Me, Ava and Donnie Darko are also worth a mention.

Raging I missed the first album last time 'round.
    Apologies, they are playing London in September.

September 27th in Heaven. I'm giving serious consideration to hopping over for it. Why couldn't it be on the 28th, the Friday goddammit!

Phantastic Ferniture by Phantastic Ferniture worth a listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

FINALLY got around to listening to this yesterday and it's been on a loop since with the first album. It's fantastic.

Falling Into Me is the stand out for me at the moment. It's Not Just Me, Ava and Donnie Darko are also worth a mention.

Raging I missed the first album last time 'round.

September 27th in Heaven. I'm giving serious consideration to hopping over for it. Why couldn't it be on the 28th, the Friday goddammit!
    Thursday night gigs ftw! Not a massive fan of Heaven so that's why I'm still on the fence.

Donnie Darko is my favourite song of the year so far I think.

Thursday night gigs ftw! Not a massive fan of Heaven so that's why I'm still on the fence.

Love a Thursday night gig... I do not like Thursday night gigs in London when I live in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Another band playing london in the fall but not ROI are the growlers,album is Casual Acquaintances.

The strokes comparisons are undeniable but a great album ..

Loose Tooth - Keep up. Really enjoying this today.

I caved and flights and ticket sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Long standing Manchester icons James released their new album the other day. "Living in Extraordinary Times". One of their best albums in a long time.

Long standing Manchester icons James released their new album the other day. "Living in Extraordinary Times". One of their best albums in a long time.

In the 90's edgy awesome 15 plus albums in..

Did I post that ? erm yeah after a few beers but I think what I meant to say is 15 albums in quite a discography.I liked gold mother but I couldn't name another song from the other 14 ..edgy in the 90's bit more of stadium/festival band in the present times..Do they still sing sit down at gigs I wonder?

Kathryn Joesph's new album out today From when I wake the want is, absolutely superb as I knew it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Kathryn Joesph's new album out today From when I wake the want is, absolutely superb as I knew it would be.

Stunning record...thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mitski has a new album out today, Be The Cowboy.

It'll take a few listen for a definite opinion yet, but at this early stage I can safely say it's a mightily grim record.

• Advertisement

It's fantastic. Great shout.

Advertisement